Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

unpopular opinions

Comments

• Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    I never use the walls half down or down option. My walls are always completely up when I play or build because it looks nicer and more realistic to me. :smile:

Me as well :smiley: - with The Sims 3 camera

I do use a high angle and walls half down when first loading a household to get them organised.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    Chaotic_MoiraChaotic_Moira Posts: 482 Member
    I never use the walls half down or down option. My walls are always completely up when I play or build because it looks nicer and more realistic to me. :smile:

That is interesting. I didn't think anyone played like that. I agree it looks nicer, but as I prefer the camera to be down at Sim level, and prefer smaller homes, I just don't think I would be able to make it work. I do use half walls, cause I hate seeing outside when my sims are inside.
    Features I'd like brought back from the dead.
    | Picture in Picture mode | Custom Paintings | Preset scenarios for resident sims | Placing my own lots |
    | Saving my own Buy Mode collections! | Saving an outfit in CAS | CaSt. Smaller is ok | Open World |
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member

That is interesting. I didn't think anyone played like that. I agree it looks nicer, but as I prefer the camera to be down at Sim level, and prefer smaller homes, I just don't think I would be able to make it work. I do use half walls, cause I hate seeing outside when my sims are inside.

I play with the sims 3 camera with it levelled, with a slight tilt up so I don't cut off the top of their heads.

I might be telling you something you already know, but you can save camera positions for each lot allowing you to have optimal views in key locations.

CTRL+5 through to CTRL+9 will save a different position. Then just tapping that number will take you to that position giving you 5 positions per lot in the game.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    I might be telling you something you already know, but you can save camera positions for each lot allowing you to have optimal views in key locations.

CTRL+5 through to CTRL+9 will save a different position. Then just tapping that number will take you to that position giving you 5 positions per lot in the game.

giphy.gif

WHAT!!!? How long has this been a thing? I mean like, was it in Sims 3... 2...? How long have I not known about this!?

I will be trying this out. I am totally shocked I had no idea. I use the UI quick keys, but I didn't know we could do this at all.

| Picture in Picture mode | Custom Paintings | Preset scenarios for resident sims | Placing my own lots |
    | Saving my own Buy Mode collections! | Saving an outfit in CAS | CaSt. Smaller is ok | Open World |
  • Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    @DaniRose2143 I agree completely! New England is full of history and beautiful old homes. Visiting places like Old Mystic Seaport, Old Sturbridge Village, Plymouth Plantation, and of course, Salem, is like stepping back into time! Of course the best time to visit Salem is October! Even locally in the small town I live in there is alot of history and hauntings. One local story is about a young lady who was accused of witchcraft and buried in the woods. If you dared to disturb her grave she would haunt you and eventually cause your death. So many stories of hauntings in all areas of New England, some of them seen on shows of ghost hunters. I plan to turn Brindleton Bay into Salem using many of the old homes I have built, including homes in Salem, and there will be many that are haunted! I love the history in New England and all the haunted houses, and am really looking forward to the gameplay, just waiting to see if the gamepack really is werewolves!
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    edited May 2022
    I love Hound's Head in Brindleton, but mostly for the view. The few times I've used it I've replaced the original house with something smaller and used the extra space for landscaping and making a really nice pool and patio area with a good choice of outdoor activities and plenty of garden space. That's the only big lot I use and even then, less than a handful of times, ever. A 30x20 is fine for most of my households. And I use San Myshuno quite a lot so small lots are just the norm. I don't even use the penthouses, if I want something spacious I move the Rasoyas out and use 20 Culpepper, or I move my sim into the apartment next door to the Fengs.

I love the HoundsHead too, it's really the only large house I enjoy playing in. Mostly because I like to have my "old fashioned" families live there in my historical saves or when I make a new save to show how the family has "changed" in time. If that makes sense.

I think I'm on the same page, it's like a family heirloom, not heirloom, it's just something that is a part of the family legacy. It get's passed down from one generation to the next, on and on. The old world New Englander's who can trace their family tree back well into the 18th century. Old money families, that's it. And that lot overlooking the sea, is so fitting for that sort of family. Though in my mind I'm picturing a huge colonial instead.

Exactly, a family heirloom-like lot.

I've played in the HoundsHead so often that I've got my own story about it as well. My biggest legacy family (the Ellewoods) have lived there for centuries at least since the 1500's, through many hard and happy times all the way through to the modern-day. I love that it's such a prominent looking estate too, as you mentioned the overlooking of the sea is just so magnificent. Though in my head I prefer to imagine the house looking like a Tudor style mansion, with vast roaming grounds and lots and lots of trees. *shudders from all the raking that needs to be done lol*

But yeah, the historical implications of playing a legacy like that just makes my inner history nerd dance with joy. If I ever get rich enough, I'd love to travel the world, learn all the history I can and just enjoy everything.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,845 Member
    edited May 2022
    I love Hound's Head in Brindleton, but mostly for the view. The few times I've used it I've replaced the original house with something smaller and used the extra space for landscaping and making a really nice pool and patio area with a good choice of outdoor activities and plenty of garden space. That's the only big lot I use and even then, less than a handful of times, ever. A 30x20 is fine for most of my households. And I use San Myshuno quite a lot so small lots are just the norm. I don't even use the penthouses, if I want something spacious I move the Rasoyas out and use 20 Culpepper, or I move my sim into the apartment next door to the Fengs.

I love the HoundsHead too, it's really the only large house I enjoy playing in. Mostly because I like to have my "old fashioned" families live there in my historical saves or when I make a new save to show how the family has "changed" in time. If that makes sense.

I think I'm on the same page, it's like a family heirloom, not heirloom, it's just something that is a part of the family legacy. It get's passed down from one generation to the next, on and on. The old world New Englander's who can trace their family tree back well into the 18th century. Old money families, that's it. And that lot overlooking the sea, is so fitting for that sort of family. Though in my mind I'm picturing a huge colonial instead.

Exactly, a family heirloom-like lot.

I've played in the HoundsHead so often that I've got my own story about it as well. My biggest legacy family (the Ellewoods) have lived there for centuries at least since the 1500's, through many hard and happy times all the way through to the modern-day. I love that it's such a prominent looking estate too, as you mentioned the overlooking of the sea is just so magnificent. Though in my head I prefer to imagine the house looking like a Tudor style mansion, with vast roaming grounds and lots and lots of trees. *shudders from all the raking that needs to be done lol*

Raking that?😱Nooooo!

Hound's Head does lend itself to that storyline. The placement just screams old money. You kind of think of Cape Cod with it. The lot in Brindleton I've used the most is Tail's End. I love that view too! Overlooking the harbor, the town surrounding it, it is so picturesque and pretty.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    @DaniRose2143 I agree completely! New England is full of history and beautiful old homes. Visiting places like Old Mystic Seaport, Old Sturbridge Village, Plymouth Plantation, and of course, Salem, is like stepping back into time! Of course the best time to visit Salem is October! Even locally in the small town I live in there is alot of history and hauntings. One local story is about a young lady who was accused of witchcraft and buried in the woods. If you dared to disturb her grave she would haunt you and eventually cause your death. So many stories of hauntings in all areas of New England, some of them seen on shows of ghost hunters. I plan to turn Brindleton Bay into Salem using many of the old homes I have built, including homes in Salem, and there will be many that are haunted! I love the history in New England and all the haunted houses, and am really looking forward to the gameplay, just waiting to see if the gamepack really is werewolves!

I can't wait to see it if you post pics on here! That sounds amazing.

I would love to go on a ghost hunting adventure and that whole area would be in my top 2 or 3 total must destinations. New Orleans being another. I have been on ghost tours around New Orleans, but real ghost hunting I haven't. After my encounters with ghosts at the Crockett Hotel in San Antonio I have gone from skeptic, to believer, to seeker of sorts. I really do need to investigate ghost hunting as a career.😀

I am going to be so depressed if this pack isn't werewolves. I am geeking out at the prospect of having them finally. And since I didn't come into the Sims franchise until TS3, that is the only wolfies I know and they weren't wolves, just humans with a really bad overbite, questionable coiffures, and a speech impediment. I'm hoping that these werewolves look like real werewolves, that they do them at least as good as vampires, hopefully even better.
  • Options
    I don't care about getting more men's clothing.

Technically I don't care about getting any more clothing for anyone. But I see people complain about needing more for men a lot.
    Most the men I have ever known have worn the same standard clothes as every other man I've known with very little variation. Jeans or slacks of a basic looking nature, with a fairly standard looking t-shirt, or button up, maybe with a jacket sometimes.. The game has plenty of this, and then some, so... I guess I don't get what subtleties of male fashion are missing..
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member

Technically I don't care about getting any more clothing for anyone. But I see people complain about needing more for men a lot.
    Most the men I have ever known have worn the same standard clothes as every other man I've known with very little variation. Jeans or slacks of a basic looking nature, with a fairly standard looking t-shirt, or button up, maybe with a jacket sometimes.. The game has plenty of this, and then some, so... I guess I don't get what subtleties of male fashion are missing..

I personally would love some more jeans and pants that go below the ankles. Most of the male pants in game are to short and I have no actual idea why they keep making them this style. Is it fashion? I have no idea, most of the male population where I live in real life seem to prefer their pants to go all the way down their legs.
  • Options
    @DaniRose2143 I would love to go on some ghost tours myself, and even ghost hunting. My family is fascinated by the stories and the ghost hunting shows. We have a local theater that is said to be haunted and they actually offered a tour, but I was too late as they were booked up. I have yet to start putting pics up. Someone on the forum had explained it to me but haven't had the time recently. I do plan to look into it though. My houses are on the exchange, including Salem Witch house and House of 7 gables as well as older homes I fell in love with, including ones seen in horror films and/or ghost hunting. My ID for the exchange is maggiemae7276.
  • Options
    @maggiemae8135 I'll look them up when I get home. They sound interesting.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Adding on to what @Sorak4 said (I too think it's overwhelming sometimes) but my biggest pet peeve and unpopular opinion on the subject of CC is:

I HATE that creators require recolorists to not include their mesh!
    • 1) It adds double the amount of content the game needs to load (and scroll through in the in-game catalog)
    • 2) The absolute biggest pet peeve is when the original creator (the one you need to get the mesh from so the recolor works) gets a wild hair up their back side and deletes their tumblr and/or deletes the download from wherever it was hosted and sometimes deletes their Patreon account too. Because that piece of CC you really wanted to get, now doesn't work!
    • 3) The original mesh has tacky and horrible swatches you get stuck with because you HAVE to have that original mesh

For no. 3, I just use Sims 4 Studio to delete all the horrid swatches. I'm a bit OCD so I would not be able to stand seeing horrible swatches in my game. I also do not like creator thumbnails either, they make the catalogue look different, so I delete those too :D
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Sharonia wrote: »

I personally would love some more jeans and pants that go below the ankles. Most of the male pants in game are to short and I have no actual idea why they keep making them this style. Is it fashion? I have no idea, most of the male population where I live in real life seem to prefer their pants to go all the way down their legs.

I agree about the pant length. This has been a consistent issue in every sims generation imo. But if they gave us a men's clothes kit, my guess is it would have more ankle pants, so...

• Options
    Adding on to what @Sorak4 said (I too think it's overwhelming sometimes) but my biggest pet peeve and unpopular opinion on the subject of CC is:

I HATE that creators require recolorists to not include their mesh!
    • 1) It adds double the amount of content the game needs to load (and scroll through in the in-game catalog)
    • 2) The absolute biggest pet peeve is when the original creator (the one you need to get the mesh from so the recolor works) gets a wild hair up their back side and deletes their tumblr and/or deletes the download from wherever it was hosted and sometimes deletes their Patreon account too. Because that piece of CC you really wanted to get, now doesn't work!
    • 3) The original mesh has tacky and horrible swatches you get stuck with because you HAVE to have that original mesh

For no. 3, I just use Sims 4 Studio to delete all the horrid swatches. I'm a bit OCD so I would not be able to stand seeing horrible swatches in my game. I also do not like creator thumbnails either, they make the catalogue look different, so I delete those too :D

I do the same with the swatches for every cc I download. I change the price fairly often, and delete the swatches I don't care for.
    Question though. When you delete the custom thumbnail, what pops up in it's place? I like custom ones that make it clear what the thing is. I hate the ones that don't. I have considered trying to make my own that just say (for example) "natural lashes by creatorx!" I wish that is what they all were.
  • Options
    @Chaotic_Moira Not putting a tag in the thumbnail of an item that someone creates is irritating. If I'm creating a sim I want to know who to credit and what specific piece those who download it need to locate to get the look. In my game it's the CAS creators that are the guilty parties. I can't remember the last time I couldn't figure out who created what BB item, but I have lots of CAS stuff I'm not entirely sure who made it. Some creators have a style that is easily recognizable, others not so much.

And thanks to you and @elanorbreton for the tip on S4S to get rid of unwanted swatches.
  • Options
    @DaniRose2143 I would love to go on some ghost tours myself, and even ghost hunting. My family is fascinated by the stories and the ghost hunting shows. We have a local theater that is said to be haunted and they actually offered a tour, but I was too late as they were booked up. I have yet to start putting pics up. Someone on the forum had explained it to me but haven't had the time recently. I do plan to look into it though. My houses are on the exchange, including Salem Witch house and House of 7 gables as well as older homes I fell in love with, including ones seen in horror films and/or ghost hunting. My ID for the exchange is maggiemae7276.

I grabbed those lots and they are fantastic. You have so many great looking lots. I'll have to find time this weekend to sift through and grab a bunch.

• Options
    @Chaotic_Moira Not putting a tag in the thumbnail of an item that someone creates is irritating. If I'm creating a sim I want to know who to credit and what specific piece those who download it need to locate to get the look. In my game it's the CAS creators that are the guilty parties. I can't remember the last time I couldn't figure out who created what BB item, but I have lots of CAS stuff I'm not entirely sure who made it. Some creators have a style that is easily recognizable, others not so much.

And thanks to you and @elanorbreton for the tip on S4S to get rid of unwanted swatches.

I go through the tags as well. I can't tell you how many items I've had that didn't have their colors tagged, or sometimes they aren't listed in the right categories. Also I add the creator name to the item if they haven't done it themselves on BB objects. This way I see it often in game and tend to remember. CAS is more difficult. The only way I can see to make things more clear would be to edit the thumbnail. I agree, some creators have excellent thumbnails.
  • Options

I go through the tags as well. I can't tell you how many items I've had that didn't have their colors tagged, or sometimes they aren't listed in the right categories. Also I add the creator name to the item if they haven't done it themselves on BB objects. This way I see it often in game and tend to remember. CAS is more difficult. The only way I can see to make things more clear would be to edit the thumbnail. I agree, some creators have excellent thumbnails.

Most if not all of the hair creators I use are really good about putting their name in the thumbnails. It's clothes and makeup where I have the most problem. And makeup is the worst. Sifting through dozens of lipsticks on TSR to try and guess which one of those is the one you just used. Makeup is the category where not only a creator name is important but a filename too. That's why I love Crypticsim. He puts his name and the name of the file in all of his thumbnails. Makes it such a breeze to list CC on a sim using his stuff. And it's gorgeous too.

I don't have a single item in my BB that I can't identify the creator. Even if it's not in the thumbnail it's in the description.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Question though. When you delete the custom thumbnail, what pops up in it's place?
    It reverts back to a game-generated picture so it matches all the EA thumbnails, just with the cc spanner icon in the corner.
  • Options
    @DaniRose2143 Thank you so much! I am happy that you like them. I just love building the older homes, especially the haunted ones. Hope you enjoy them!
  • Options
    ApricusApricus Posts: 672 Member
    I love children in CAS. They don’t have a lot of options, but what they do have is great
    ZjzmtTb.jpg
  • Options
    Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,969 Member
    Much of my CC does have a creator name that appears in-game, but if it doesn’t, I usually recognise who it’s by. Although sometimes I’m not particularly bothered about who it’s by.
    It’s usually in the item name in my CC folder anyway.
  • Options
    Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,935 Member
    Music stings aren't fun.

I like having my curated self radio of songs, being able to turn off the mood bumpers was a start, but I still have to hear those 3/4 second long jingles every time my Sim goes to work or a holiday starts, it makes my radio quieten down. Silence is nice when it's not interrupting Redman!

I don't want to even know what a household of 8 all working different times sounds like.

But sadly no theme for when a fire starts, I like the panic.
    L9q8VGi.png
  • Options
    QueenSaraphineQueenSaraphine Posts: 308 Member
    I actually want to pay for the things they add cause I know that they also have bills to pay.
    I don’t like when people demand for things to be free.

It’s like if I go to a store I bought a sofa from several years ago but now I want it to be a different colour so ofc the store should give me new fabric in a different colour for the sofa for free right?!
    SignatureSparkly.gif

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top