Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Spiral Stairs are [not] coming.

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member

Sims 4 elevator-style touch to go up or down. That should not be too hard for the team, just spiral steps as furniture like a table no new animations needed, just touch/click and go up/down

they would just need a circle whole in the floor.
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • Options
    TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    edited August 2019
    Stormsview wrote: »

Sims 4 elevator-style touch to go up or down. That should not be too hard for the team, just spiral steps as furniture like a table no new animations needed, just touch/click and go up/down

sounds like laziness to me
    y'all got bread?
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited August 2019

What the 🐸🐸🐸🐸? No lol
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Not surprising. Spiral stairs would require them to actually alter the already existing stair climbing animation for it to work with a spiral design, and well, we know how they feel about making actual different animations...
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Not surprising. Spiral stairs would require them to actually alter the already existing stair climbing animation for it to work with a spiral design, and well, we know how they feel about making actual different animations...

Yeah and people would want to put them in apartment buildings, which each floor is actually a different lot so that would be impossible to have a two story apartment with spiral stairs. Oh, wait we don't even have a second floor to an individual apartment do we? Like a condo...because another level is a separate lot...how amazingly innovative..not.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Steve StormSteve Storm Posts: 106 Member
    edited August 2019

If given a choice, I would rather have a stair landing tool that enables me to make my own sets of stairs instead of a spiral stair object that functions in a similar way to how the elevators from City Living did. It feels like there have already been enough shortcuts used in the game.
  • Options
    LMcGELMcGE Posts: 226 Member
    I don't really get the hype over spiral stairs. I wonder if it's something people started to talk about and took on a life of its own. I do think the idea several people, including @Steve Storm above, that having landings and the ability to make shaped stairs would be so much better and more realistic. Spiral stairs are not that coming in real life, but split stairs are. I also think they may be easier to accomplish in the same as the game could adjust the stair height above and below the landing much easier. I also think it's time we had general ladders. IL shows that they are able to adjust to different heights very easily and they would be fantastic for smaller builds or lofts.

• Options
    IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    LMcGE wrote: »
    I don't really get the hype over spiral stairs. I wonder if it's something people started to talk about and took on a life of its own. I do think the idea several people, including @Steve Storm above, that having landings and the ability to make shaped stairs would be so much better and more realistic. Spiral stairs are not that coming in real life, but split stairs are. I also think they may be easier to accomplish in the same as the game could adjust the stair height above and below the landing much easier. I also think it's time we had general ladders. IL shows that they are able to adjust to different heights very easily and they would be fantastic for smaller builds or lofts.

Spiral stairs are more common depending on where you live and the architectural history there. They also allow a different use of horizontal space, for builds where fitting everything is a little bit of a jigsaw puzzle. Plus, people like to build their "dream" homes or wedding venues or whatever in the sims, and a grand staircase is a core piece of that.

A high school teacher I know was once building a house (in real life) and working through how it would look and everything. It was a process that took a few years. He'd sometimes talk about it with his students. He said there was a number one question he always got from his female students, that they were always the most eager to hear about it. And their number one question was, "What are the stairs like?". They told him if he did wrong by the stairs then when his little girl got older and it was time for her to start dating she'd lose out. Stairs, these teenagers insisted, were key.

Basically - the classic scene in a fairy tale or teen romance film or whatever is the scene of the heroine in a beautiful ballgown making her grand entrance on the stairs. She walks down the stairs into the ballroom, and everyone gasps. She comes down the stairs and suddenly appears for her first formal dance and her date nearly drops the corsage. It's a classic. And it's one that appeals to a very specific demographic that also happens to be a demographic that plays a lot of sims. The current straight-back staircase is just about the most boring staircase you could make that grant entrance on. Landing stairs are better. But a spiral staircase allows for a reveal and ALSO a view of the back of the dress. Curved but not spiral stairs, which I have zero hope for, would also make for very good fairy tale ballrooms.

IDK if this is what other people are thinking. (I'd be more interesting in a firehouse pole than spiral stairs if I HAD to pick, tbh). But it is what comes to mind when I think of "hype about stairs".
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • Options
    Themrsg4422Themrsg4422 Posts: 332 Member
    Spiral stairs are not only pivotal for small builds, but also for certain stylized builds. Also....having 1 type of stairs is not realistic at all and its plum boring. It may seem like a random thing to some people, but it's a big deal to builders.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,056 Member
    edited August 2019
    personally I have always viewed spiral stairs as ''the accident stairs'' for being hard to climb so romantic descriptions puzzle me :joy:
    I prefer ladder, U/L or curved stairs to spiral ones in my builds because those are just more familiar for me
    but obviously spiral stairs would look good in some sims builds too though (since its my sims climbing not me)
    imagine if our sims could fall down stairs though that'd be epic
    If its problem of wall height they could make separate ones for different wall heights thus eliminating the problem
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member

Honestly, for me the biggest thing is that I like to build small and it would be so so much easier to go up a floor without having to allocate as much space as is currently needed for straight stairs. It's bad enough with low wall height, let alone if you go with either of the higher ones.

But it's also the draw of having more options, so L-shaped stairs or U-shaped ones or ladders or curved stairs would also be fantastic when it comes to building.
  • Options
    LMcGELMcGE Posts: 226 Member
    I didn't mean about stairs in general, I really meant spiral. I get that they are thought to take up less floor space. I always felt they took up more floor but less wall. Perhaps I just don't like them much because I hate narrow, twisty, tightly turning stairs in general and spirals are the final endpoint of that. Of course different people like different thing and there are definitely some buildings, real life and digital, that would look much better with them. They would be ideal for turrets, or at least the ability to build a winding staircase hugging the wall, which is what you would have in such a building it it was genuinely old. The last ancient building like I visited did my knee in for a week after climbing somany twisted stairs! :)
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member

I've been obsessed with spiral stairs since I was little. To me they represent super fancy 1970s houses.

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    mock68mock68 Posts: 696 Member
    For me, when I think of spiral staircases, I think of houses and old mansions like in The Haunting and also light houses and towers have spiral staircases.
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member

I didn't want them until I looked at this thread, I don't even build.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,916 Member
    Some of the tenements in my city have very tight spiral stone stairs to the fourth or 5th floor and they can be very dangerous. Not a place for an elderly Sim. Humans tend to get housebound in them. Those wide spiral sweeps used in Libraries or public buildings can be beautiful though.

I'd prefer an elevator. One I downloaded for The Sims (Moni's Sims) used only one square's space.
  • Options
    TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    When it comes to this topic (and some others many people would like to see), I think it!d be nice if they made a list of popular features that are unlikely to come and possibly share why is it so challenging.
    I think the whole stair dilemma is similar to ocean swimming.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • Options
    AntonAnton Posts: 35 Member
    I want ladders and buildable attics so bad next
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    bizuktag wrote: »
    Yes, there will be spiral stairs. The twist: only young adults can use them.

LOL
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    BaglamukhiBaglamukhi Posts: 38 Member
    gimme the darn stairs already
    !!!!