Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you feel about stair movement speed and variation?

Even when running, sims take their time to walk up/down stairs. This can cause houses with stairs to slow down sims a lot. What is your take on this?
Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io

How do you feel about stair movement speed and variation? 69 votes

I would like to see more variation in stair movement (running up/down stairs, etc.)
59%
CK213MadameLeeStormkeepIsb917rosehrtgirlluthienrisingKalaniCoolsazzieJdetermigJennyggthecatsredPinkHairGuitartaydevCeCeDotKniga_Sitarawormstache999mariajane216texxx78TechbiltInternal_Chaos 41 votes
I think stair movement is fine as is
13%
PlayerSinger2010Writin_RegSindocatCupidthatsnotsweglazyjuniperEvie0602KimmerSimmerBecca4481 9 votes
I never noticed
21%
AlrynnSimburianfriendlysimmerszagboorulesClassicalSimFreechheitannaliese39kappowanMMXPamtastic72TodilooListentoToppDoggZachsimsSimsterLivEnnael 15 votes
Other (explain in post)
5%
simgirl1010Bagoas77drake_mccartyCinebar 4 votes

Comments

• Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    I would like to see more variation in stair movement (running up/down stairs, etc.)
    One of my biggest annoyances in the game! Probably because my current active household lives in a 3 story Penthouse and it is annoying that I cannot have the elevator go to all 3 floors....such dumb design of elevators for CL. I agonize watching my sims go up and down the flights of stairs so slowly....I never go that slow on stairs IRL.

(Before anyone tells me there are mods for the elevator issue, as well as a rather annoyingly complicated workaround...I do know this already. :) )
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    It isn't something that has ever bothered me. It does encourage me to put more thought into the floor plans of my homes, to minimize the amount of time they'll need to spend, not necessarily just going up and down the stairs, but moving around the house in general. I actually enjoy that "consequence".
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    cauliflowersimscauliflowersims Posts: 35 Member
    I definitely think it would be a great idea to add running up stairs. When sims are running, it feels kind of disjointed and awkward when they stop and go up the stairs slowly. Also, if there is a fire upstairs they could get to it faster perhaps! Happy simming.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,873 Member
    Other (explain in post)
    I've never been fond of multi-level homes in any of the games. Usually a large ranch style on a 30x40 lot. I do have basements for mainly for storage.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Cupid wrote: »
    It isn't something that has ever bothered me. It does encourage me to put more thought into the floor plans of my homes, to minimize the amount of time they'll need to spend, not necessarily just going up and down the stairs, but moving around the house in general. I actually enjoy that "consequence".

Same - I consider it when I build, and in my Sims' daily routine. (The greenhouse is on the upper floor with the yoga mats, so every morning they get up and do their yoga and then do the gardening. They usually won't need to go back upstairs for the rest of the day.) My Sims spend most of the time on the lower floor.

I get more annoyed with the time it takes to get them from the rabbit hole to inside the house - I can never remember where the rabbit hole is when I build, and I end up with my house in the wrong direction. (I know I can turn the whole house - one of the neat things about S4 - but I'm too lazy to move all the landscaping.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Other (explain in post)
    They are much slower in this game with stair climing than TS2. It's almost as if they copied the TS2's university Sims' walk to climb stairs in TS4. They could speed them up in my mind.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited January 2019
    Triplis wrote: »
    Even when running, sims take their time to walk up/down stairs. This can cause houses with stairs to slow down sims a lot. What is your take on this?

I'm not sure, but I think in TS2 they could run in stairs? Anyway, it would be a great addition.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Other (explain in post)
    Slow moving Sims is one of the reasons I avoid large multilevel homes. Would be nice to have a faster animation for running down stairs, but there’s currently no control for running. In Sims 2/3 you could instruct your sim to walk or run to the chosen location, in Sims 4 you can’t instruct your sim to run at all. The game decides if they walk or do the slow jog.

I'm not sure, but I think in TS2 they could run in stairs? Anyway, it would be a great addition.

Yep. When they were running they would shuffle up/down them a little faster than if they were walking.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I'd love this, because I find them suddenly slowing down to be immersion-breaking, but... I find myself wondering what gameplay-associated animation I could have instead.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member

They do. and I agree it would be a nice addition.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    SimsterLivSimsterLiv Posts: 92 Member
    I never noticed
    i would just fast forward if i got bored. i works every time hehe
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I never noticed
    I never really thought about it, but now that you've pointed it out, I think it would be a great addition. I can imagine playful child sims sliding down the stairs as well.
  • Options
    thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 697 Member
    edited April 2019
    I find it hilarious that people are bothered by it being unrealistic for Sims slow down so much while taking the stairs, but my boyfriend has joked that I take the stairs like a Sim because I'm so slow. :joy::joy::bawling:

At the end of the day, It doesn't matter to me whether they keep it or change it, but I like being able to make the joke, so I kinda hope they don't ever change it.
    Post edited by thatsnotsweg on
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I never noticed
    Never thought about it, but now I want more variation. Running upstairs would be great.
    I never really thought about it, but now that you've pointed it out, I think it would be a great addition. I can imagine playful child sims sliding down the stairs as well.

@annaliese39 Yes, that would be so adorable.

• Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I miss the elevators from Sims 3. They could be used in a 3 storey house.