Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would You Be Open To Seasons and Pets in a Base Game?

simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
Would you be willing to pay $120_$150 for a base game that included weather and pets. Let's also assume it's open world with ultimate terrain tools, world building capabilities, and ultimate asset customization, like the color wheel. Let's also assume the developers have had adequate time and resources to develop an awesome base game.

Would You Be Open To Seasons and Pets in a Base Game? 140 votes

Yes
52%
icmnfrshSimsprocfunrudy8292cudleybabysimalexspoom13IceyJoveronCynnasimgirl1010alexandreaDJQ1308BluellecatloverplayerJoAnne65determigJennyggGabbyGirlJPegasysRamblineRosepixiejuice 74 votes
No
29%
Jessa_DakkarWritin_RegaricaraiAnmirladrake_mccartySeraphicPinkstilljustme2bevilleduhboy2u2aero2491ZenzikaChampandGirlieZeldaboy180wormstache999Loves2draw1812Sigzy05fidelis_x0EnkiSchmidtSayoLoirejames64468 41 votes
Maybe
17%
GRIMMYBagoas77NeverSeemsToEndcolbyfromagekimieswildrosesemperorq52spiritslive99orangehippogriffEmmaVanethe_greenplumbobWinifred_WillowBridgetKVjackjack_kHermitgirlPrink34320StrawberryYogurtBooDaBoo5pinneduphairEvilyn_1007kirumagu 25 votes

Comments

• Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    No
    I have a feeling they wouldn't be as well thought out or content complete if they were in the base game. When in packs, they get a focus and resource dedication they just wouldn't get as part of the base game.

And some folks feel that they already can't complete a base game in the release deadlines they already have, so how would adding even more content to it help that at all?

If the base game is a cake, the extra stuff is the icing. I'd rather have the cake be baked well and decorate it the next day, than lose half an hour in the stove and still be wet in the middle, just to get the icing on in the same day.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    Yes
    I didn't pay attention to the price, I actually would vote maybe on that not yes... :#
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Yes
    I have a feeling they wouldn't be as well thought out or content complete if they were in the base game. When in packs, they get a focus and resource dedication they just wouldn't get as part of the base game.

And some folks feel that they already can't complete a base game in the release deadlines they already have, so how would adding even more content to it help that at all?

If the base game is a cake, the extra stuff is the icing. I'd rather have the cake be baked well and decorate it the next day, than lose half an hour in the stove and still be wet in the middle, just to get the icing on in the same day.

Ok so for the purpose of this poll let's just assume it's an awesome base game, fully thought out, with adequate production time. I went back and edited the original post to address your concerns.
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    No
    Well if we're gonna dream, then I'd want the game to have everything when released, no dlc needed, lol. :P

I mean, I get the sentiment and all, I just don't see it realistically happening. Even assuming we get another Sims game with something like CAW, that would probably be released as an add-on later (once made user friendly and all that). The color wheel would probably be patched in post-release (or extremely basic at release and more fully realized later on). Pets would be additional Sims but there wouldn't be vets or any extras. Seasons would be basically weather, and maybe Sims would auto-wear coats or shorts, but there wouldn't be holidays or seasonal events or something like that.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    No
    I don’t personally mind either Pets or Seasons getting their own individual packs.

The rest of that stuff - YES! YES YES to an ultimate asset editor! Would absolutely love something like that included in a base game.

IMO I don’t think adding in Pets and Seasons would really justify such a steep price for the base game. I get there would be a ton of additional work involved, but a video game that costs >$60USD for the standard edition is gonna have a really hard time selling. It would almost be self-sabotage.
  • Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    No
    For that price? Absolutely not. I have no reason to think Seasons would be as fleshed out as it was in previous Sims titles and I was never a fan of Pets in the first place. Making them base game runs the risk of having them essentially downgraded. Paying for practically two games, especially when it comes to the Sims, does not sound like a good idea to me at all.

If the game was really good, though, I'd wait for a sale.
  • Options
    LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    I feel like seasons should be base game content but not for that price.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Yes
    If everything was at Sims 2 quality and it offered things like cars CAW toddlers unleashed babies with feet and teens that were unique from adults I would preorder it. Having seasons and pets as a base game feature is huge to me it would mean they both could be expanded in every expansion after worth the initial price though I say it should be $140 tops ($60 base $40 pets $40 seasons) not $150 unless its the bonus edition.

How nice it would be to not have to wait 3+ years for seasons...
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Yes
    I would definitely pay for a fully fleshed out base game with Pets and Seasons expansions included with all the associated content we've come to expect. One of the reasons I'm not hyped about the next version is playing the waiting game again for my favorite features.
  • Options
    the_greenplumbobthe_greenplumbob Posts: 6,105 Member
    Maybe
    I would be all for it... except I'm not sure if I'd be willing to pay $150 (£100) for a Sims game...

Saying that, I am sure I have spent the better part of £1000 in total on sims games... :/
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    Yes
    While I voted before I saw the price, I still say yes, as the additional benefit of not having to wait 2-3 more years for this content (assuming it's very well done) would be worth the price to me.
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited January 2018
    Yes
    Not for the price your suggesting with Seasons and Pets alone, unless other factors/additions/mechanics taken into account of the gameplay.

With Seasons, I would expect simple weather as thunderstorm and hail and that would be pretty much it. Festive and Holiday deco/clutter could come in a stuff pack at any time. Throw a few years in the development of the base game to include pets, then expand those creatures with expansion packs as the year progress (and I don't mean carry over things that feel would rather be a wholesome as a missing puzzle in a base game, but something like making it work well hooked with a feature of the expansion pack that brought it. Kind of like snow expansion pack, but not forgetting a detail such as pets capable of playing and interact with the said season).
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Yes
    If seasons and pets are there in the base, multiple future packs can expand on them. New breeds and pet activities in a couple of EPs/GPs? Sure. Season-appropriate activities in Island Paradise and Winter Wonderland packs? Why not? And this way, seasons and pets are more tightly integrated into the core game, like maybe weather scenarios (blackouts, getting snowed in) and pets having more interactions with base game and pack objects.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    Yes
    Although come to think of it, not everyone wants those features, and they still have to pay the extra price. I'd be fine, but they'd have to come up with a more reasonable price to attract people who aren't interested in the extras.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Yes
    I have no issues with paying a premium for a more complete package. I'm also the sort that shelled out $120 US for the Admiral's Edition of War in the Pacific back when it dropped in 2009 and did so knowing that it would meet or exceed my expectations, which it did. If it is clear that I am getting a deeper, more complete product then I will gladly pay more.
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    Maybe
    I'd consider it. It would definitely cost more and will likely lead to some base game features being more lackluster, it also means that Pets and even Seasons could get content throughout the span of the iteration however, plus it would let the team work on new and different expansions.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Are you out of your mind? How are some players supposed to afford that. To some, it's already almost too expensive. If there was an option for a base game or a base game with pets and seasons, maybe. But not as the only version.
  • Options
    Yes
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Are you out of your mind? How are some players supposed to afford that. To some, it's already almost too expensive. If there was an option for a base game or a base game with pets and seasons, maybe. But not as the only version.

Last time I checked this was the speculation forum. Is there some limit to what defines speculation?
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member

Last time I checked this was the speculation forum. Is there some limit to what defines speculation?

Speculation and rumor are a far cry from fantasy and make believe. The game is expensive enough, why would you want to make it unaffordable for so many players?
  • Options
    Yes
    Maybe it can go for $80, but it has to be really good. Like at least 4x as much as TS4 when it launched.

• Options
    Cathound01Cathound01 Posts: 69 Member
    Yes
    I could go with that. Especially if we got enough notice in advance.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited February 2018
    Yes
    A big yes.
    How much do you think a basegame plus all this stuff in expansions costs?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Yes
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    A big yes.
    How much do you think a basegame plus all this stuff in expansions costs?
    Yeah I love how it is a trick question. Like Sims 4 is going to cost at least $120 with these themes plus sales tax and the international taxes and price increases. The beauty of microtransaction purchases. ;) The next Sims iteration is going to cost more in general since that is how inflation works with the Sims games anyways. It is basic math to figure out the total cost of Sims iterations anyways. Sims 4 base game was $49.99 when it was released and Sims 4 EPs cost $39.99 each, so that comes to a grand total of $129.97 retail price excluding taxes.

In reality, someone could get all those features for $49.98 for the Sims 3 today, so why wait? Then again steam has sales on the Sims 3 frequently, so possible to get all those features for $14.97 and possibly cheaper if they bundle the base game with an EP. That gives plenty of money to not only get a decent computer, but all those features too.

Just for fun I did this for the Sims 4. Of course I'm using the initial base prices since Sims 4 was released in 2014.
    Sims_4_6_year_estimate.jpg
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    edited February 2018
    No
    I voted too early, before understanding what the real question is here, sorry.

Open world, pets and seasons won't exactly have me shout shut up and take money, so that's a big No.

But if we abstract the question to "An awesome basegame coupled with two EPs that you know you will enjoy and would have payed full price for anyway" (in my case probably Get together and Island Paradise), well, in this case the answer would be Yes.
  • Options
    poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    No
    i voted no because i just think this price is too high to pay all at once for a basegame.
    i would buy it if it were less.
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif