Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Pet's can't gain relationship between them: is this a fact?

DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
[edit]Thanks to simmers who poitnted out that, in fact, a relationship between pets exists in the game data, though invisible for the player. The final question being the opening one: Do their interactions ameliorates or worsen this relationship.

As for the final edition, Fellow simmer Neia stated in the forelast post that, indeed, relations can change overtime. Though, consider that if you don't use the mod which makes pets controlable, their relationship has all the chances to stay on the initial track.
Post edited by Dijktafone on

Comments

• Options
    BambooramBambooram Posts: 222 Member
    If pets can't have relationships with others that is very, very poor. It just goes to show that pets are just avatars that exist and will cycle through animations to give an appearance of being realistic. They are empty in "cute" shells.

This. Exactly this.
    HV83B28.png
  • Options
    HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    edited November 2017
    Pets can have relationships with other cats and Dogs. Of Course not all animals will get along with each other. My dog, for instance, is very, well, complicated when it Comes to other animals because of his traits (aggressive etc.). However, I've managed to establish a friendship with an npc animal eventually (the game recognizes his friendship Level). Look at the Aspiration (having 1 friend, second line in the Aspiration panel):

15.11.17_09-45-52.png
    Post edited by HalloMolli on
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Yeah, they didn't appear to have relationships with other pets when I tried it out. Just the humans
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    HalloMolli wrote: »
    Pets can have relationships with other cats and Dogs. Of Course not all animals will get along well together. My dog, for instance, is very, well, complicated when it Comes to other animals because of his traits (aggressive etc.). However, I've managed to establish a friendship with an npc animal eventually (the game recognizes his friendship Level). Look at the Aspiration (having 1 friend, second line in the Aspiration panel):

15.11.17_09-45-52.png

I could replicate it with a pet having no pet relationships. I guess for this aspiration, from the pet perspective, the human is considered a pet?
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    Relationships between pets exist, they aren't working exactly in the same way as Sims/Pets relationships though, so that's probably why you don't see them in the UI.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Dijktafone wrote: »

I could replicate it with a pet having no pet relationships. I guess for this aspiration, from the pet perspective, the human is considered a pet?

Ugh, yes! That is true actually! But I had a relationship between Dogs established where I had more Options unlocked in the process so I think there must be some Kind of Progress.

However, as I wrote yesterday: Relationship-Culling (maintaining a certain Level of Performance) might be the reason why pets might work differently here. So maybe it's a design-decision backed up by making pets not controllable so the Player has no insights on what's going on. I dunno. Everytthing just speculation on my part.

"[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• Options
    Dijktafone wrote: »
    Pets can have relationships with other cats and Dogs. Of Course not all animals will get along well together. My dog, for instance, is very, well, complicated when it Comes to other animals because of his traits (aggressive etc.). However, I've managed to establish a friendship with an npc animal eventually (the game recognizes his friendship Level). Look at the Aspiration (having 1 friend, second line in the Aspiration panel):

15.11.17_09-45-52.png

That's what I thought too when I gave my pet the animal aspiration. The programming might just count any relationship with humans to count, because it wasn't meant to be assigned to pets
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    If pets can't have relationships with others that is very, very poor. It just goes to show that pets are just avatars that exist and will cycle through animations to give an appearance of being realistic. They are empty in "cute" shells.
    @Bambooram wrote: »

This. Exactly this.

They do have relationships, but they don't show in the Panel. Pets weren't designed to use any part of the UI, so we cannot use that for anything.
    However, parts of the game register Pets relationships, which indicates the game is keeping track of them. We just can't see them.

I'm happy and sad at the same time. I wish I could keep track of them, but I also like the realistic factor as well.
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    3 of my cats changed the way that they behave around each other over time (became more loving), one of my cats slowly built up hatred for a stray and broke into a fight. So I do believe that there ARE some sort of relationships between the pets, they're just not being shown correctly.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »

This. Exactly this.

They do have relationships, but they don't show in the Panel. Pets weren't designed to use any part of the UI, so we cannot use that for anything.
    However, parts of the game register Pets relationships, which indicates the game is keeping track of them. We just can't see them.

I'm happy and sad at the same time. I wish I could keep track of them, but I also like the realistic factor as well.

Actually they were designed to use every part of the UI. Minus the components that clearly aren’t finished it’s honestly not too far off that pets were meant to be controllable before they ran out of time and had to create an excuse for why they weren’t playable. In all reality they are, they just aren’t finished. Like so many other parts of this pack.

I've seen nothing that suggests that. Pets are a kind of Sims in the way they were implemented, so the UI will show anything that wasn't explicitely disabled.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    3 of my cats changed the way that they behave around each other over time (became more loving), one of my cats slowly built up hatred for a stray and broke into a fight. So I do believe that there ARE some sort of relationships between the pets, they're just not being shown correctly.

That is not surprising. This mod enables things that clearly were abandoned after they couldn’t be finished. Pets have relationships which is clearly indicated when you hover your mouse over one as a Sim, it will probably take additional modding to get pet relationships to show up in the panel.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

That is not surprising. This mod enables things that clearly were abandoned after they couldn’t be finished.

Yes and no. The mod does not unlock all interactions, it seems. Some are still hidden and only get triggered autonomously.
    Neia wrote: »

This. Exactly this.

Actually they were designed to use every part of the UI. Minus the components that clearly aren’t finished it’s honestly not too far off that pets were meant to be controllable before they ran out of time and had to create an excuse for why they weren’t playable. In all reality they are, they just aren’t finished. Like so many other parts of this pack.

I've seen nothing that suggests that. Pets are a kind of Sims in the way they were implemented, so the UI will show anything that wasn't explicitely disabled.

Mhm, possibly. So maybe the mod unlocks something like a dev-tool (similar to the cheat in TS2)? Might be. But what do you think of the tooltip I posted in another thread:

15.11.17_12-55-26.png

It reads: "Animals wearing a collar are not able to use this objects."
    "this objects" refers to the mat btw.

• Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited November 2017
    Ohhhh so that’s why we can’t use the mod to view our pets relationships with other animals: it’s literally not even available because they never finished adding that feature!

So instead of finishing, they disabled playable pets altogether.

Wow I’m actually mind blown right now.

All I know is it has been impossible for my pet to breed with a stray. In order to breed, I had to add the dog into my household and have my pet do the “Be Friendly To” interaction a few times. Then they could breed without issue.

When I first added them, my pet did not like the former stray at all. She would have a thought bubble with his face on it and an X. After doing the “Be Friendly To” they run around and chase each other and play. Keep in mind that interaction is only available to pets with the Friendly trait. So it’s almost like the relationships between animals was started and not finished and that’s why certain things are available now and certain aren’t. Which points to what I mentioned above.
  • Options
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Ohhhh so that’s why we can’t use the mod to view our pets relationships with other animals: it’s literally not even available because they never finished adding that feature!

Nah, that's still just nothing but speculation. Maybe this mod did nothing but unlock some sort of dev tool EA uses to test out how Things work in game.

• Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »

Nah, that's still just nothing but speculation. Maybe this mod did nothing but unlock some sort of dev tool EA uses to test out how Things work in game.

They should just start a GoFundMe or KickStarter for anything they want to add in a new pack that they don’t have the money to do right away. That way if people want the feature, they can donate/support and they will add it to the game. Because this half baked nonsense is unacceptable.

And we would’ve never known it was even possible without this mod.
  • Options

That is not surprising. This mod enables things that clearly were abandoned after they couldn’t be finished.

Yes and no. The mod does not unlock all interactions, it seems. Some are still hidden and only get triggered autonomously.

This. Exactly this.

Mhm, possibly. So maybe the mod unlocks something like a dev-tool (similar to the cheat in TS2)? Might be. But what do you think of the tooltip I posted in another thread:

15.11.17_12-55-26.png

I think drake_mccarty may have a point about pets being designed to use the UI at some point. What's peculiar is that a lot of the UI elements for pets were translated into German. I doubt the mod did that because it's a lot of work and it would've been bigger in file size, which suggests that all of those were already in-game.

I can understand having the UI in English for debugging purposes, but localizing it into other languages suggests that the final product's UI may have been meant to be viewed at some point in production. Maybe they abandoned the idea of making the pets selectable partway. It does look like they were forced to abandon it due to constraints, rather than a deliberate design choice.

• Options
    bythedreadwolfbythedreadwolf Posts: 832 Member
    edited November 2017

This. Exactly this.

I'm getting this impression. The modders didn't just create an UI themselves and it seems rather counterproductive to create an UI and then not let players see it. And then people are surprised when I don't believe everything the sims team says, including the reason why they made pets not controllable. Obviously they will never admit when they run out of time/resources to do something or when the engine doesn't let them. We will never find out unless we get clues like this one that seem to indicate this might be one of those cases. I'm even starting to believe the pets clothes and walk styles that they said they added in their extra free time was actually things that were prioritized and then they lacked the time to do more important things like pet beds, let dogs sleep on sims beds, etc. I mean, couldn't they do those things on their extra free time instead? Unless they think ridiculous costumes are more important than the basics of owning a pet, like pet beds (yes, I'm still bitter about that!).
  • Options
    Update: I plopped Mayor Whiskers in my household using manage worlds, and when I selected the other pets to interact with him, there was an "introduction" interaction. After that, the regular interaction options showed up. This seems to hint that pets do have some relationship data that's not shown on the UI. Whether it only tracks if two pets have met or it stores a relationship score between two pets, I'm not sure, but this does indicate that there may be some things under the hood that aren't shown.

• Options
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    Update: I plopped Mayor Whiskers in my household using manage worlds, and when I selected the other pets to interact with him, there was an "introduction" interaction. After that, the regular interaction options showed up. This seems to hint that pets do have some relationship data that's not shown on the UI. Whether it only tracks if two pets have met or it stores a relationship score between two pets, I'm not sure, but this does indicate that there may be some things under the hood that aren't shown.

Hm. Try to spam the "friendly" interaction a bit longer. Eventually "introduce" will Pop up again in the Action bar at the bottom left Corner, it's Kind of just a random "friendly interaction", it seems. I noticed this when I monitored what interactions pets can use when they "talk" with each other autonomously.

• Options
    Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member

This. Exactly this.

15.11.17_12-55-26.png

I think drake_mccarty may have a point about pets being designed to use the UI at some point. What's peculiar is that a lot of the UI elements for pets were translated into German. I doubt the mod did that because it's a lot of work and it would've been bigger in file size, which suggests that all of those were already in-game.

I can understand having the UI in English for debugging purposes, but localizing it into other languages suggests that the final product's UI may have been meant to be viewed at some point in production. Maybe they abandoned the idea of making the pets selectable partway. It does look like they were forced to abandon it due to constraints, rather than a deliberate design choice.

This is pretty much what I was talking to another member about yesterday. In my theory, in the timeline that the devs said they "debated" on weather they should go controllable or not, they were exploring both options equally. Because..think about it..they said it themselves it took them awhile to come to a decision. With that amount of time they still had to at least explore both.

Ultimately I think once their voting overuled in favor of uncontrollable they probably decided the best way to do it was to disable this part of it. Why the whole UI? Well my guess is since they wanted to fully focus on the "owning a pet" feel, they probably felt it was unnecessary (not sure how exactly but okay) and the fact that the UI was going to need lots of work...that they also disabled that part as well (like a forgotten memory :cry: ).

But in the same token, there's a definite reason to why pets broke the relationship cheat. But thinking about it now...I mean think of the other things in the game that only sims can befriend that we can't really see outside of their relationship bar...dolls, the robot toliet, the baby.

I'm not trying to call the pets any of those, but in my theory, perhaps their relationship building works like there's do.
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • Options

Hm. Try to spam the "friendly" interaction a bit longer. Eventually "introduce" will Pop up again in the Action bar at the bottom left Corner, it's Kind of just a random "friendly interaction", it seems. I noticed this when I monitored what interactions pets can use when they "talk" with each other autonomously.

Interesting. Hasn't happened to me so far, but I've tried "improving" Mayor Whiskers' relationship with the other cat by performing friendly interactions, but it seems that mostly hostile ones are always present. The other cat can perform friendlier interactions. Maybe they simply have fixed relationships with one another.
    Dreamie209 wrote: »

This. Exactly this.

15.11.17_12-55-26.png

This is pretty much what I was talking to another member about yesterday. In my theory, in the timeline that the devs said they "debated" on weather they should go controllable or not, they were exploring both options equally. Because..think about it..they said it themselves it took them awhile to come to a decision. With that amount of time they still had to at least explore both.

Ultimately I think once their voting overuled in favor of uncontrollable they probably decided the best way to do it was to disable this part of it. Why the whole UI? Well my guess is since they wanted to fully focus on the "owning a pet" feel, they probably felt it was unnecessary (not sure how exactly but okay) and the fact that the UI was going to need lots of work...that they also disabled that part as well (like a forgotten memory :cry: ).

But in the same token, there's a definite reason to why pets broke the relationship cheat. But thinking about it now...I mean think of the other things in the game that only sims can befriend that we can't really see outside of their relationship bar...dolls, the robot toliet, the baby.

I'm not trying to call the pets any of those, but in my theory, perhaps their relationship building works like there's do.

That could be it too. If they had gone the uncontrollable route, it would've been nice if they had at least given us a UI like in Sims 2. Maybe they just thought "why bother?" if they're uncontrollable, since it does require icons for the moodlets, and a lot of writing for the pie menu and entire UI.

• Options
    edited November 2017

Very good Point, I've not thought about that.

I took 2 screenshots of my cat talking to another cat. As you can see at the bottom one Image is 8 minutes older than the other.

15.11.17_15-47-34.png

15.11.17_15-49-23.png

The action-bar reads:"getting introduced to".

I've been spaming the "friendly" interaction the whole time.

• Options
    edited November 2017

Very good Point, I've not thought about that.

I took 2 screenshots of my cat talking to another cat. As you can see at the bottom one Image is 8 minutes older than the other.

15.11.17_15-47-34.png

15.11.17_15-49-23.png

The action-bar reads:"getting introduced to".

I've been spaming the "friendly" interaction the whole time.

But you did actually ^^"
    Must I be the one to tell simmers to read themselves (on a joke tone, if I must precise it)!
    Post edited by Dijktafone on