Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Top gameplay feature - washing machines or canning station?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    edited April 2017
    For those of you who want eco friendly washing machines just take your clothes to the nearest stream (the game has lots of them), get them wet, lay on a large flat rock, and beat the tar out of them with a small one (scrub brush for the deluxe model). Maybe by the fishing signs. The fish might wonder what your sim is doing and come by to watch.

Oh yes, that would be different! I said before (can't remember which thread though) that if laundry happens, I personally feel that it should cater for both high and low technology games. Having that said, laundry is not something that is a priority for me in game so I'm only buying a pack with laundry in it if it has something else I particularly want. I haven't bought any of the SPs yet anyway.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    edited April 2017
    I'd like a canning station only problem is as of right now harvestables don't spoil so it's sort of pointless. If you could line shelves up with the cans it would look cool and be decorative and that would be cool but otherwise it wouldn't add much game play I'm afraid.

With laundry we could potentially get some new gameplay, like clothes flying off the line and getting all over the yard, or suds over flowing the washer and sims playing in them. That could be really fun.

It would really depend on what gameplay each feature would add for me.
  • Options
    SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    edited April 2017
    I want both, but if I had to choose only one.... canning station. There's more that could be done with canning.

In TS3 a modder made it possible to use the canning station to make candles and food rations. The candles were made from the useless beeswax you could collect from the bees. Rations were fully cooked meals, ready to eat. My farming families would cook and can meals all year long with their harvest and then in winter with no crops, they would eat the rations they had prepared. No one had to eat the same thing as the rest of the family, either. Everyone could choose a different meal that evening, and grab whatever jar they wanted.

Also, how cool would it be if the canning station could also make new toddler foods using homegrown fruits and veggies?! You could make jars of baby food.

Maybe the canning won't come equipped with all the bells and whistles, but the modding community would undoubtedly expand upon it.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• Options
    FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member
    hmae123 wrote: »
    I'd like a canning station only problem is as of right now harvestables don't spoil so it's sort of pointless. If you could line shelves up with the cans it would look cool and be decorative and that would be cool but otherwise it wouldn't add much game play I'm afraid.

With laundry we could potentially get some new gameplay, like clothes flying off the line and getting all over the yard, or suds over flowing the washer and sims playing in them. That could be really fun.

It would really depend on what gameplay each feature would add for me.

True, but it wouldn't be pointless if canning would add value to the harvestables, so that your sims could sell them on for a higher price. Also, canning could be one way of stopping fish from spoiling! As you say, it all depends on the gameplay.
  • Options
    Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited April 2017
    I'd prefer something like making jam, jellies and preserves, or a flower arranging station. As long as the station adds some meaning to gardening. We need more things to do with produce. I also like the idea of canning fish and rations, as some have mentioned! That would be super fun :smiley: We need as much as possible that can fit into a SP to do with these otherwise rather useless things. That's also why I'd like a flower arranging station - flowers are utterly useless. Imagine how fun it would be to grow flowers, arrange them into bouquets and sell them with retail in your own speciality flower shop. Or sell jams and other natural products. Or jam and baked goods. This adds way more gameplay than laundry, in my opinion.

And to those saying that it doesn't add decorative flair, you can use jars and cans in endless ways for decorating. Line the shelves of a health freak with healthy juices. Line the shelves of a doctor with natural remedies. Line the shelves of a baker or cook with jams, jellies, preserves or other canned foods. Even use it for apocolypse storage, farmers during winter, scientist sims who have jarred fish can look like preserved fish on display etc. You can pretend that rations in a can is new technology, where futuristic sims can simply open a can and out pops a full-portion, delicious meal.

EDIT: Oh, and the stations certainly don't have to be and shouldn't be massive. It could be the size of the barista cafe bar thing, maximum. The flower arranging station would be as big as the woodworking station.
    Post edited by Louise_G0325 on
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    I'd rather have laundry than a canning station. First because I don't like big objects dedicated to an uncommon task, I can't find a place where they fit naturally into my builds, so I end up not using them. If anything, I'd rather see it added as new recipes on the stove, like herbalism. And secondly because canning doesn't interest me much, I'm not interested in survivalism, and I'd rather see eco living as something modern/tech-related, rather than off the grid. And lastly, because I think it would better fit into a Farming GP/EP with new vegetables, new fruits, etc
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Laundry is one of three remaining things I need to make my game complete, so yeah, laundry.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    kokoro80kokoro80 Posts: 651 Member
    I want chickens! A worm farm and a compost bin would also be good!
    wpsmtLm.jpg
  • Options
    Honey_Pie_360Honey_Pie_360 Posts: 240 Member
    I want laundry and fruit blender to make juices and smoothies :/
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I would like a Canning station and nectar making
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    KlthfKlthf Posts: 230 Member
    I have some ideas on how a canning station might improve gameplay. Maybe they have been mentioned before, but I would like to point these out.

A canning station should give us the option to make preserves, jellies, jams and juices, smoothies or even nectar. Combined with Get to Work this should give us the possibility to make our own supermarkets. This is something that adds to existing expansions. Imagine a canning club working for your supermarket! I wonder what glow orb juice tastes like, or trash fruit jelly...

We should also get the possibility to experiment with different combinations of harvestables, to create unique recipes that might taste great or terrible. This might be like nectar making in The Sims 3. It could even come with its own canning skill. All of these products should of course have a higher value than the harvestables used (and if a canning skill is added, that might also influence the prices), so it actually becomes profitable.
  • Options
    TriX0099TriX0099 Posts: 850 Member
    I'd prefer something like making jam, jellies and preserves, or a flower arranging station. As long as the station adds some meaning to gardening. We need more things to do with produce. I also like the idea of canning fish and rations, as some have mentioned! That would be super fun :smiley: We need as much as possible that can fit into a SP to do with these otherwise rather useless things. That's also why I'd like a flower arranging station - flowers are utterly useless. Imagine how fun it would be to grow flowers, arrange them into bouquets and sell them with retail in your own speciality flower shop. Or sell jams and other natural products. Or jam and baked goods. This adds way more gameplay than laundry, in my opinion.

And to those saying that it doesn't add decorative flair, you can use jars and cans in endless ways for decorating. Line the shelves of a health freak with healthy juices. Line the shelves of a doctor with natural remedies. Line the shelves of a baker or cook with jams, jellies, preserves or other canned foods. Even use it for apocolypse storage, farmers during winter, scientist sims who have jarred fish can look like preserved fish on display etc. You can pretend that rations in a can is new technology, where futuristic sims can simply open a can and out pops a full-portion, delicious meal.

EDIT: Oh, and the stations certainly don't have to be and shouldn't be massive. It could be the size of the barista cafe bar thing, maximum. The flower arranging station would be as big as the woodworking station.

I'd find the flower arranging way more useful than the canning station. I find that my sims have plentiful food options in the game already (and this is coming from someone who can never get enough options IRL, and always tries new recipes), where the flowers are practically useless (can use them as fertilizers, but there are better options for that. Or as bait, which is just really weird imo). Food is already the most expanded feature in the game, with 3 skills and countless of recipes, collections and hidden achievements. I have nothing against the canning station - I just think my sims need some more non-food game play options a lot more.
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited April 2017
    Honestly, both the canning station and laundry are on my most wanted list. I don't think I could pick between them right now.

edit: the flower arranging station too, yes!!! Oh, I'd love all these things back!
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    I would like a Canning station and nectar making

I really miss nectar making. :-(
  • Options
    AndreaTheHeroAndreaTheHero Posts: 578 Member
    edited April 2017
    With art style b I could totally see washing machines and a chicken coop. Love the idea actually
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    Honestly, both the canning station and laundry are on my most wanted list. I don't think I could pick between them right now.

edit: the flower arranging station too, yes!!! Oh, I'd love all these things back!

I am with you here! I couldn't choose because I want them both! I loved the flower arranging station in S2 and hope that makes a return.

I also want the sewing machine from hobbies in S2 :)

Who am I kidding, I want it all :D
  • Options
    lovlyblovlyb Posts: 968 Member
    I would choose canning station, you can preserve your own fruits and veggies. Also would make a nice little add to selling for profit for my sims, I can have a farmers stand <3 .

p.s. ;) I really would love <3 to have farming in this game. <3:)
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    i would say my choice would go toward washers and dryers in the sims4
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    JaseJase Posts: 2,147 Member
    While I would enjoy having the canning station return, since we tend to have only two new gameplay objects in a SP I would prefer to save it until we have more of a gardening themed EP, GP, or SP. Personally, I feel that either solar panels, wind turbines, or a compositor would better suit a eco living style SP.
  • Options
    MeteoraStormMeteoraStorm Posts: 243 Member
    Canning over laundry........by a mile!! (Not a laundry fan :) )
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    edited April 2017
    I never had the canning station so I am not fussed about that either way. I am not a big fan of laundry and wouldn't buy a pack for the sake of that. However, if the SP comes with the sewing machine and/or the potter's wheel, I will almost certainly buy it because I loved those in Sims 2. Especially the customisable clothing since we've got no colour wheel or pattern changer to perk up our Sims' clothing.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    professorlilithprofessorlilith Posts: 392 Member
    beekeeping!
  • Options
    professorlilithprofessorlilith Posts: 392 Member
    Honestly, I'm just not interested in laundry, unless it's hanging on a line and fluttering in the breeze.
  • Options
    lexus20lexus20 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Washing machines. I voted for Eco Living as my first option mainly because of laundry. If the description hadn't even mentioned laundry I would probably have voted for Starter Home as my first option instead.