Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Top gameplay feature - washing machines or canning station?

FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member
We're a long way away from voting on the top gameplay feature to be included in the new pack, but it's never too early to start talking about it.

I know that many players voted for the eco-themed pack because *washing machines*, however, many posters have pointed out that washing machines are not intrinsic to eco-friendly living, while at the same time there have been a number of posts calling for the return of the canning station. Now I'm torn. I would like washing machines back again, sure, but a canning station would be wonderful as well and, since this is a stuff pack, we are unlikely to get more than one object requiring totally new gameplay.

So this is my question: If it came down to a choice between the two, which would you prefer to see -- washing machines or a canning station -- and why? Which one do you think would be best suited to the theme of the pack? Which one would offer the best gameplay?

Comments

• Erica87Erica87 Posts: 743 Member
    I'd be fine with both, honestly. The possibility of laundry wasn't what made me vote for eco living, it was the prospect of there being solar panels and windturbines and I very much hope that those will be in it. It also depends on the theme, if the theme is modern minimal energy then laundry would fit better, if the theme is living off the land then stuff like a canning station fits better. If I had to decide though I'd have to go with the canning station because it seems more useful.
    CURRENTLY PLAYING: Forum mafias & Minecraft, mainly.
    Taking a break from the sims for a while!
  • SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    Laundry Day They could add basketball laundry hoops.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I want a canning station, bicycle powered tv, a worm farm, and a compost bin. :)

Preserving your own food is eco friendly. It saves on food being trucked all over the place, it saves on trips to the supermarket. And I'm hoping that if it is included, they'll also add the abilty to make cakes in jars.

Laundry would be better suited to a domesic chores pack, alongside vaccumes, ironing, dusting, polishing, and starching shirts to within an inch of their life... Maybe a sort of i love lucy themed pack.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    WASHING MACHINES
    a256aFi.gif
  • griffin1842griffin1842 Posts: 255 Member
    I think the way this was pitched was strange. I like the idea of laundry and I like the idea of eco living, but I don't really see the relationship between the two. In my opinion, laundry should've been the main feature in a "just starting out" pack that included grungy clothes and low end stuff.
  • DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,939 Member
    I voted for Eco Living because of the washing machines. I expect to get washing machines in the pack.
  • Alysha1988Alysha1988 Posts: 3,452 Member
    Laundry was the only thing that made me somewhat interested in the pack, so that's what I'd want. I enjoy having little chores for sims to do around the house and it's something that I would use all the time in game with all types of sims. A canning station would be ok, but for me it would be something more specialized that would only be used occasionally with certain sims.
  • mannannamannanna Posts: 466 Member
    Canning station - why, I remember enjoying it in Sims1
    Not laundry - why, I remember hating it in Sims3
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    I kind of think I would use laundry more, but overall I'm looking for a gameplay feature that offers something else than just waste of time and moodlets. Canning seems to pass the test, it would be awesome if we could even sell the products with CL salestable. With laundry it depends how it's implemented. I made a thread suggesting that the outfits would get greyed out, because that would make laundry have an actual effect.
    I voted for Eco Living because of the washing machines. I expect to get washing machines in the pack.

But laundry was just suggested content, it doesn't mean it's 100% what will be in the pack. If you voted for Eco Living, it should have been because you want Eco themed content.

WASHING MACHINES
    Try answering the question, rather than just yelling at us.
    FKM100 wrote: »
    So this is my question: If it came down to a choice between the two, which would you prefer to see -- washing machines or a canning station -- and why? Which one do you think would be best suited to the theme of the pack? Which one would offer the best gameplay?

Movotti wrote: »

But laundry was just suggested content, it doesn't mean it's 100% what will be in the pack. If you voted for Eco Living, it should have been because you want Eco themed content.

WASHING MACHINES

It was part of the description of the pack so I wasn't wrong voting for it because of laundry.
  • LadyEmillyeLadyEmillye Posts: 19,238 Member
    edited April 2017
    I'd go with Canning Station but a bit more expanded. It has more potential imo than laundry which you really can't expand that much on.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    I have enough of laundry & washing machines in real life, don't like either, so why the bloody h would I want either in a game I play time to time to ease the stress of said real life? Of the two offered, canning station would be better. Much more useful and greater potential for actual game play. For those of you who want eco friendly washing machines just take your clothes to the nearest stream (the game has lots of them), get them wet, lay on a large flat rock, and beat the tar out of them with a small one (scrub brush for the deluxe model). Maybe by the fishing signs. The fish might wonder what your sim is doing and come by to watch.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,707 Member
    As much as I'd love to see washers/dryers return if it came down to those two I'd have to pick the canning station. My favorite parts of the game are anything to with with cooking, baking, new recipes, and gardening.
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    The canning station would probably offer the best gameplay, if it's tied into garden harvesting and such, but as a builder, having washing machines and dryers would be a more common fit in most homes, I think. And you could make laundromats too. I think the canning station would be more niche.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.

WASHING MACHINES

It was part of the description of the pack so I wasn't wrong voting for it because of laundry.

Using your own logic, I wasn't wrong for voting for eco living, since that's supposed to be the theme, not laundry.
  • KlthfKlthf Posts: 230 Member
    I would like to have both. But that seems impossible unfortunately. Washing machines are probably my favourite when it comes to gameplay, since I like my Sims doing chores in the game. On the other hand, a canning station would add the option to make spreads or jelly of maybe even juice (technically its not a canning station anymore when juicing is added, so then it should be called canning and juicing station). This sounds great and when it comes to the Eco living theme, I think it fits better than laundry. A canning station would add a greater variety of gameplay options than washing machines. Therefore I feel it would be more entertaining in the long run. If I have to choose right now, I'm probably going with the canning station. But honestly I would buy the pack no matter what the included items are.

WASHING MACHINES

Using your own logic, I wasn't wrong for voting for eco living, since that's supposed to be the theme, not laundry.

I never said you were wrong in your vote for eco living for the reason you chose but you said I was.

Also I voted for eco living as # 1. Using your logic, I could say I voted for wedding even though it was # 5 in my vote. I would have voted on the other packs if I had realized we could vote 1 through 5. I read it as being able to vote only 1 or 5 on the packs.

You said in a different thread how eco living wasn't your # 1 vote. Here's the link of what you said. http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/915846/my-idea-for-laundry-input-welcome#latest
    Also I voted for eco living as # 1. Using your logic, I could say I voted for wedding even though it was # 5 in my vote. I would have voted on the other packs if I had realized we could vote 1 through 5. I read it as being able to vote only 1 or 5 on the packs.
    I'm gonna let you in on a big secret. I voted for weddings too! I dunno what number I gave it, but it certainly wasn't 1, 2, nor3.
    You said in a different thread how eco living wasn't your # 1 vote. Here's the link of what you said. http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/915846/my-idea-for-laundry-input-welcome#latest
    There's a funny story there.
    I didn't even remember what number I voted it at. It was 1, 2 or 3. I think it was 2, but it could as easily have been 1 or 3.
    In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter what number I gave it? Cos what we've got is an Eco Living themed pack, not a household chores themed pack. :)

And to try to stay on topic.
    Canning station.
    I want to make JAM!!!

We need a toaster, both the pop up kind, and one to use over an open fire... or a toasting fork, for toasting bread, kinda how marshmallows get toasted. And then put JAM!!! on the toast. :)

And jam can be used to make a new desert: Jam roly-poly.
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    I want to make compost for my garden in the compost toilet
    edited April 2017
    I want laundry because I can see the effects of having laundry every day in my sims 3 game. I see the clothes go into the hamper everyday when my sim changes clothes in the sims 3. When my sim washes the clothes, she gets great moodlets from it. I have 2 items, (washer and dryer (in the sims3), we have hampers in the sims 4 already) to put on my lot when building. If I have a small house I have to figure out how to place everything I want. It adds more than a single item, (canning station). Going by how big everything is in the sims 4 a canning station could maybe be the size of the cup cake machine. Which is so big I never use it on my lot. My sim would maybe use it once a week. Would I be able to put the stuff I can on shelves, using it to add for clutter? Would I see a visual from the canning machine everyday?

ETA. I meant to quote so I'll do this instead. @Movotti
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,707 Member
    The canning station might be able to use some of the potions animation's. Then you'd have a jar you could store on shelves.
    I want laundry because I can see the effects of having laundry every day in my sims 3 game. I see the clothes go into the hamper everyday when my sim changes clothes in the sims 3. When my sim washes the clothes, she gets great moodlets from it. I have 2 items, (washer and dryer (in the sims3), we have hampers in the sims 4 already) to put on my lot when building. If I have a small house I have to figure out how to place everything I want. It adds more than a single item, (canning station). Going by how big everything is in the sims 4 a canning station could maybe be the size of the cup cake machine. Which is so big I never use it on my lot. My sim would maybe use it once a week. Would I be able to put the stuff I can on shelves, using it to add for clutter? Would I see a visual from the canning machine everyday?

ETA. I meant to quote so I'll do this instead. @Movotti
    I don't seem to get notifications when people tag me anymore :(

Well, going by how big everything in ts4 is.... welcome to your laundry
    Laundry-01-300x225.jpg

As for the canning station, here are some real world options:
    3c5e5d2a2b7ed1a2cb5d82cd2f391a15.jpg
    771d0f94ed982900df386af7b96886c7.jpg
    beca43a8e506f3d515ca96316465e727.jpg

And it'd be nice if we could have a pantrycupboard like this:
    0b73b5c409473c4033ca1d0518ec22af.jpg
    The preserves could go in the top part, and fruits and veggies could be stored at teh bottom.

Or maybe one like this:
    1f11cc3305605dfb_6321-w500-h400-b0-p0--traditional-kitchen.jpg
    And have the canning station inside it.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    I'm not convinced both aren't possible (though I'd take solar energy and composting over canning, personally). Laundry doesn't seem to me to need as much animation and coding as bowling or the hot tub. This seems to me to be likely to be a multi-gameplay-object pack.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    I'm not convinced both aren't possible (though I'd take solar energy and composting over canning, personally). Laundry doesn't seem to me to need as much animation and coding as bowling or the hot tub. This seems to me to be likely to be a multi-gameplay-object pack.

Interesting points.
    A canning station would probably use similar (or even the same) animations as chopping food, and stirring a pot on the cook top.