Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Emotions versus traits and personality.

My Sims are emotional chatterboxes, but they aren't much else. Their emotions are the dominant factor for how they behave, not their traits. TS4 Sims are a homogeneous group instead of unique individuals who behave as they do, based on the traits we give them. I wish the emotions would be tweaked so they are not so dominant anymore! I want my Sims to act like they actually have a personality!

Comments

• Options
    kimjo313kimjo313 Posts: 3,865 Member
    That would involve re-coding the traits to actually make a difference in the sim behavior. Which basically means remaking the whole game. Most likely we are stuck with the one size fits all personality sims who all respond the same despite having polar opposite traits.

kim :/
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I don't find the traits guide or control them at all. Nor do I see the emotions do. All I see is that is dictates which whims they get. I am really not a fan of the whim system in this game so I tend to ignore it all.

The only way that I have truly seen how traits affect sims is when one of my family oriented sims failed to get pregnant after several tries. She was pretty upset about that. Cried under the covers and everything. She has 2 children now and is in a much better place. lol
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Give me TS3 traits over anything else, anyday! :smiley:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Emotions are for Sims 4 what open world was for Sims 3, so I fear they won't go anywhere. I agree with you though.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited October 2015
    My main problem is my Evil Mean NPC ghost is friendly and happy.

Even the Enemy relationship makes the sims behave friendly.

What Hot-Headed trait is supposed to do ?
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited October 2015
    In fact, the traits are limited to :

- emotional effects (Emotional, lifestyle & Social traits)
    - skill bonus (Hobby traits)
    - 2 or 3 specific social interactions

When your population is happy, it's almost like all the sims got the Active, Cheerful and Romantic traits.

For example, Bob Pancakes who become a bodybuilder even if he got Slob, Gloomy & Loner traits.

Slob but take a shower
    Gloomy but is happy
    Loner but love to spend time in gym lot with strangers around him.

I think the problem is the sims are not limited to their traits. If a sim don't get the Active trait, it doesn't mean he/she don't like workout.

(Note: I don't believe Maxis will change the system now)

Sadly it causes all the sims are identical with very small differences which don't strongly change their behavior.
    Maybe Maxis should create Behavior traits or Strong personality traits but it requires specific animation for each personality.

For example, an Insane sim should not say "Sul sul!" like a Snob sim or a Clumsy sim
    (Hmmm... it reminds me what TS3 began to do awkwardly ...).
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I prefer personality and non-text emotions that the Sims 2 had. There was just something special about the AI with those Sims. They were really smart and could adapt well with their surroundings.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller