Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 crashing

Comments

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    vsync didn't help much but I have noticed it no longer crawls on speed 3 like before (still stutters with the lag though.)

How bad is the stutter? This game has been known to stutter for some. Its just teh way the game is programed. IP loads smoother for me but some experience lag in IP. Have you tried other worlds?
  • Options
    geekgirl101geekgirl101 Posts: 401 Member
    Stutters terribly like every few seconds. Sometimes error trap catches something like a stuck sim or a stuck deer but not always does it find something. I'm practically saving every minute in fear when it stutters it'll hang and lock up. I've tried looking everywhere for what's causing the lag but even just panning the camera is resulting in the game stuttering and hanging and it's running at very low settings.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,926 Member
    Stutters terribly like every few seconds. Sometimes error trap catches something like a stuck sim or a stuck deer but not always does it find something. I'm practically saving every minute in fear when it stutters it'll hang and lock up. I've tried looking everywhere for what's causing the lag but even just panning the camera is resulting in the game stuttering and hanging and it's running at very low settings.

Does it do it in a new empty game?

There are so many things that cause lag. The one that caused me huge grief a few months ago was inventories full of harvestables from using the green dragon and the tractor to harvest a large garden.

But there are so many things that do it it can take weeks to find the particular thing in a particular game.

If it still stutters when in a fresh empty game then it is something to do with the system. But if it doesn't then there might be something in the game that is doing it.
  • Options
    Like Karritz posted a lot of things can cause lag too besides what Karritz posted to check. Check your launcher make sure memories are disabled, loading screens are disabled, store content that loads in cas are disabled , lot details should be 2 or 3 max . @Karritz did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    Everything's disabled, everything's set at low, neither sims are harvesters so it's not an issue of full inventories (I noticed that in worlds where I had farms and was doing nectar making and carrying hundreds of fruits that the lag was insane.) I'm at a loss except when I go on holiday there is no lag at all. Error trap is now throwing up error after error now, mostly stuck wild horses (which I could've sworn I had disabled.)
  • Options
    @igazor op having errors with mod Thanks

and @chesterbigbird what test can op run on their card to see if its ok. They have a Nvida 570 thanks
  • Options
    My card seems fine with everything else though, although I do notice lag in FFXI sometimes with large parties throwing lots of special efffects. Maybe the card is getting on a bit.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    omg I think I finally found the issue, a houseboat with FIVE HORSES! It was where the Neighbourhood Pet Adoption was based. None of the sims could move about the house because the horses were in the way. Is there no way to like disable an expansion you don't want in a game? I don't want witches, zombies, celebrities, horses, dogs etc on a desert island but turning them off with the game settings doesn't stop other families mass adopting them. I had to uninstall NRaas Story Progression because it seemed that was responsible the game crashing.
    Post edited by geekgirl101 on
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    omg I think I finally found the issue, a houseboat with FIVE HORSES! It was where the Neighbourhood Pet Adoption was based. None of the sims could move about the house because the horses were in the way. Is there no way to like disable an expansion you don't want in a game? I don't want witches, zombies, celebrities, horses, dogs etc on a desert island but turning them off with the game settings doesn't stop other families mass adopting them. I had to uninstall NRaas Story Progression because it seemed that was responsible for multitudes of issues and the game crashing.

in general when Chester gets on they may be able to give you a program to test your card

In your game options you can disable any pets, celebs and any supernatural you dont want. This wont effect the supernatural you already have in game but it won't add any new ones. There maybe a mod you can use to get rid of all the excess. The other option you can save your family to library they will save with skills and inventory if you save them as household. You can start a new game and just add your family back to the new game.

I think there is a mod to get rid of zombies ask Igazor. I dont use mods but I have Grims Ghastly Manor, you can use the door of life and death on home lots and it will help with the zombie issue if you dont want to add more mods.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    🐸🐸🐸🐸, so stuck with lag until all those horses die. Found a setting in Overwatch to turn off pet adoption but it's too late for that houseboat now, can't evict the family that's supposedly living there for some reason (probably because it's designated as the neighbourhood pet adoption) so the only solution it seems is to blow the whole thing up. Seeing if the game survives replacing the houseboat and relocating the family.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Still lag in places, fast speed is back to fast speed again though, only errors about wild horses so I've set the town to no wild animal population but that hasn't fixed the lag, no game crashes yet.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited April 2015
    I think you already know these two, but...
    No stray animals (by species) = Register mod, under Animal Control
    No more resident pet animals = StoryProgression mod, under General Options > Options Sims > Maximum Residents (by species, set to -1)

Occults like witches can also be controlled with StoryProgression.

No more Zombies = use Retuner or a third party's tuning mod; there are a ton of them out there. Here's one from a known and trusted modder:
    http://modthesims.info/d/486331
    (or disallow the full moon phase in Game Options)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    LokiSimsiesLokiSimsies Posts: 1,912 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    No more resident pet animals = StoryProgression mod, under General Options > Options Sims > Maximum Residents (by species, set to -1)

No more Zombies = use Retuner or a third party's tuning mod; there are a ton of them out there. Here's one from a known and trusted modder:

One that has really stopped my pet issues is going into the master controller settings and changing "pet adoptions" to false. No more finding horses crammed into little houses because they aren't allowed to adopt pets, period. If I want a townie to have a pet? I give them one and make sure the house has a pet bed, pet bowl, and pet house.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Hi @igazor. Thanks for all the wonderful info. I am trying to use it but when I go back to use it again it can be a bit difficult to remember it all. However I did just make some changes according to this info.

Under animal control I made the numbers of animals 0 but their numbers were small already so I don't know if making them 0 will do much. I have allowed 1 unicorn and 4 horses so the unicorn won't be lonely. But I see the number of Sims was set to 150. I ported 180 into town. So I changed the number to 250. I was worried the game might start moving my sims out of town or killing the off.

Under StoryProgression I set the numbers to -1 as suggested.

Then I did a bit of looking around (a little bit) and randomly picked Options Lot and found that the maximum number of pets the mod could stuff into a household was 6. So I changed it to 0.

The thing that is really annoying me is the number of pets turning up in every single household.

Trying to play a game with 3 toddlers and 4 dogs in the household is hopeless.

Household.jpg

I didn't want any dogs but the game keeps stuffing them into the households when I'm not playing them.

They are on houseboats and in tiny houses and big houses the place is crawling with limitless house hold pets.

As I'm going around trying to get my various families in to suitable houses after Porter unpacking them, I am spending a huge amount of time adding facilities for all the pets each household has acquired.

I am hoping the setting I changed under lot options will fix this issue by not adding any more pets to any households.

If I want a family to have a pet then I'll add it myself.
    Post edited by Karritz on
  • Options
    Karritz wrote: »

Hi @igazor. Thanks for all the wonderful info. I am trying to use it but when I go back to use it again it can be a bit difficult to remember it all. However I did just make some changes according to this info.

Under animal control I made the numbers of animals 0 but their numbers were small already so I don't know if making them 0 will do much. I have allowed 1 unicorn and 4 horses so the unicorn won't be lonely. But I see the number of Sims was set to 150. I ported 180 into town. So I changed the number to 250. I was worried the game might start moving my sims out of town or killing the off.

Under StoryProgression I set the numbers to -1 as suggested. Then I did a bit of looking around (a little bit) and randomly picked Options Lot and found that the maximum number of pets the mod could stuff into a household was 6. So I changed it to 0. The thing that is really annoying me is the number of pets turning up in every single household. Trying to play a game with 3 toddlers and 4 dogs in the household is hopeless. I didn't want any dogs but the game keeps stuffing them into the households when I'm not playing them. They are on houseboats and in tiny houses and big houses the place is crawling with limitless house hold pets. As I'm going around trying to get my various families in to suitable houses after Porter unpacking them, I am spending a huge amount of time adding facilities for all the pets each household has acquired. I am hoping the setting I changed under lot options will fix this issue by not adding any more pets to any households. If I want a family to have a pet then I'll add it myself.

Under Master Controller, there is an options (or settings...can't remember exactly) but you will see a long list of options. Scroll down till you find pet adoptions, change that to false.

Also, there are two places where the game will stuff pets into a household. It is under lot options but also under general options, scroll all the way down to see it. You can also change the maximum number of children allowed per household. Another thing I change is found under pregnancy option. Change the attempts at pet pregnancy, mine are 5 and 1. I read that having it at the absolute highest (100) or the absolute lowest (0) may not work. You can also under the pregnancy option, go into adoptions and change require pet house to true and lower the attempts at adopting.

I have done all of this and there are no strays or pets being added to my game.

Be sure to delete any pet EP related auto-placed lots because I've read that those will spawn animals to keep them on call (like the horses).
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I've found a few more places where Pets were set at 6 per lot. I have changed them all to 0. I'm sure there will be about a dozen more places where they are set to 6 and that will override my 0 settings everywhere I have made them.

I couldn't find the thing about pet adoption though. I'm currently closing my game and will restart it just in case I have to do that to stop these pets from getting into the households. I don't have any stray problems at all. It is just they are clogging up all my households.

I brought the tombstones in from the original SV because I'd never done that before. I usually ignore them. I just wanted to have a go and see what happens for this one game. I'll probably never do it again.

I made the family of ghosts and placed their graves in the cemetery and now they've all gone from the house - so that's a relief. I didn't want to play them. That's why I made them all ghosts. I almost left one of them alive - then decided I just wanted them to join my two existing sims into a family relationship. At least that worked. The two family trees that resulted aren't pretty - but I now have a pair of cousins in my game.

FT_Marcie.jpg

FT_Moira.jpg

Marcie and Moira are really both Marcie - she was in the family I chose to import first. So I changed her name so Porter wouldn't find the doppelganger and fix it by removing one of them and all the issues I have with that process. Then later on I decided I wanted to make them related but not sisters. So it had to be cousins.

OGrady_Graves.jpg

Fortunately all ghosts have now left Moira's house. She was there with 6 ghosts haunting her yesterday. Some of them are evil. >:)

Ghosts_And_Mascot004.jpg
  • Options
    I've found a few more places where Pets were set at 6 per lot. I have changed them all to 0. I'm sure there will be about a dozen more places where they are set to 6 and that will override my 0 settings everywhere I have made them.

I couldn't find the thing about pet adoption though. I'm currently closing my game and will restart it just in case I have to do that to stop these pets from getting into the households. I don't have any stray problems at all. It is just they are clogging up all my households.

Sorry, I was typing that off memory. Now I'm at my computer (was using my tablet earlier) and have my notes. It is found under Overwatch. Here is the path:

NRAAS/Overwatch/Settings/Stop Pet Adoption change that to true. The FAQ I printed out from NRAAS states that you can do this by clicking on your active Sim. I've always done it by clicking on the court house tag. This stops any existing pet adoption situation and prevents any further attempts.

From the screens you showed before? It looks like maybe there are pregnancies happening, so try changing that pet pregnancy setting to zero attempts and zero reattempts.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Thanks, I found the Pregnancy attempts and set that to zero. When the game loads I'll look for reattempts and set that to zero too.

EDIT: I haven't been able to find the place to set pregnancy reattempts to 0 but I did confirm pregnancy has been going on.

Pet_Issues001.jpg

There are more dogs out there than I thought. :s
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Thanks, I found the Pregnancy attempts and set that to zero. When the game loads I'll look for reattempts and set that to zero too.

EDIT: I haven't been able to find the place to set pregnancy reattempts to 0 but I did confirm pregnancy has been going on.

Pet_Issues001.jpg

There are more dogs out there than I thought. :s

I thought so, it looked like pregnancies to me.

I just set this in two worlds, you'd think I would remember the exact path since I just did it 5 minutes ago! Sheesh...getting old is wretched, lol.

Maybe @igazor can ride in and tell us where the pet pregnancy attempts are located otherwise you'll have to hunt for it since I can't remember exactly. There is the attempt and there is a reattempt if the attempt failed. The attempt is 30% and the reattempt is, I believe, 30% as well. This is found in at least two different places, possibly three. Also the attempts at pet adoptions are set really high and there is a reattempt (I think this is just in one place).

ETA: Just remembered something else. I added the caste that only married sims could get pregnant. So. What did my game do? It married all the pets off and got them pregnant!! So now when I make the caste? I make sure that it only includes humans.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Story Progression was causing issues with my games, it seems it was responsible for the crashes.

I'm getting a tonne of errors with the Arias family. I checked where they were at and it was 10 Scuba Street just near the grocer/diner. Is this one known to cause so many issues?

While it's not causing any problems at the moment I noticed that the front door to 76 Civic Center was behind 2 arches, and when visiting to ring the bell the sim actually goes inside the house itself!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Story Progression was causing issues with my games, it seems it was responsible for the crashes.

I'm getting a tonne of errors with the Arias family. I checked where they were at and it was 10 Scuba Street just near the grocer/diner. Is this one known to cause so many issues?

While it's not causing any problems at the moment I noticed that the front door to 76 Civic Center was behind 2 arches, and when visiting to ring the bell the sim actually goes inside the house itself!

I saw a thread once where people were going into every single IP house and redesigning them. Evidently, this involves setting all the front doors properly because most of them aren't set right. So....yeah...I think the arches are an issue. They confuse Sims and Sims don't know where the door is located.

Another lot that is a massive issue is the one where the Beach Babes live, the Sims get stuck between the tiny front porch and that big build up hill on the lot next to it. I've seen screens of it. I haven't read anything about the Arias family being an issue.

Things I fix in the game.

I know there is something wrong with the Collins household. I kept getting errors on that one till I removed the ladder going up to the roof that has nothing on it.

The Medina household has an issue with the stairs, you need to fence it in because the daughter gets stuck there.

Romantic houseboat - routing issue because the palm tree blocks the road.

Ithaca house - big giant issue, just bulldoze the lot and give them a new house.

Spanish resort - remove the trees in the center of the pool, Sims keep trying to go up there to see something.

Hobart's - big giant mess, either buy it or set it to no visitors allowed or remove it.

Scott family - annihilate them. They are broken and delete their houseboat since it is also bugged. It is located at Port Perilous.

Remove horses from the world, use register to do so. Horses love to live on houseboats. Horses do not fit on houseboats.

If lag continues, use the cheat to discover all islands. A guru has posted that the clouds are a known issue of lagging.

Another lagging issue is the water itself, when you are at fastest speed....it causes stuttering and lag as your computer tries to keep up. Either don't live on the water or make sure you are zoomed way in to your Sim when using the fastest speed so your computer doesn't have to render that water.

Those are the corrections I make (I actually don't even worry about setting the doors properly but others have done it) and don't have any lag in IP.

ETA: Remembered something else, the houseboats. Remove all the steering mechanisms, using testingcheatsenabled true and then shift + click on the steer wheel and deleting it. Inactives do not need to move their houseboats. I have had to reset houseboats so many times because an inactive decided it wanted to attempt to drive their giant houseboat up into a tiny little water way and then they had a routing fail and got stuck. So....no moving ports for inactives.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited April 2015
    Just to clear up a few things mentioned earlier on...

The town population caps in SP do not cause sims of any species to disappear. If your town's cap is 150 humans and you have 200 residents, that just means there will be no more SP-induced immigration or SP-induced pregnancies until the cap is raised or the number of residents is lowered (deaths from old age, for example, or the player going on a TA spree). The player can still direct their active sims to adopt or have babies even though the town is "full." The same basic concepts apply for pets, as they each have their own cap settings. Not really understanding how the game/mod keeps stuffing more pets into houses if the caps have been reached for that species.

A household's or lot's settings will similarly prevent pregnancies. If you can somehow manage to get a sim pregnant when their household is already beyond the cap, they should still bring the baby to term but it likely won't be a multiple birth.

Overwatch's pet adoption setting pertains only to the official Neighborhood Pet Adoption scenario that the game triggers from time to time. The house in question has just had a litter of puppies, kittens, (foals?) and is specially marked in Map View as a place for both actives and inactives to go and find some new furry friends. It doesn't have anything to do with active or inactive sims suddenly deciding to adopt a pet on their own aside from that scenario.

If you don't want sims around town to adopt pets, the place to shut that down is in SP at the Town, Caste, Household, or Sim levels. Not MasterController. :)

I admit that a lot of this is neither simple nor especially intuitive. That's because SP evolved into its current (267th) version, it wasn't really planned out that way from the very beginning. But the important thing is to know that all of these things are controllable somehow, if we can find and arrange the right combination of settings to get the effects we want, and we remain ever-grateful to Twallan to providing us with the means to take control of our towns in ways EA never dreamed of. Maybe by the time we get to version 500, our developers will redo the entire mod and streamline some things, but that's not really high on the to do list currently.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Thank you @igazor. I still can't work it out so I'll just keep playing and if I end up with many times more dogs than human Sims in the game I'll just pull the plug and go do something simpler.

I've removed the 6 from as many places as I can find that refer to pets. I don't have strays but the town is crawling with dogs and all the dogs have homes and many homes have many dogs.
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    @Karritz -The settings are in town options,sim options and caste options though you can change this in town options.You'd select NRaas>story progression>town options>allow adoptions and set that to false and they won't adopt any pets or children unless you play them and direct them to do that yourself.I just do that from caste options because I've added custom castes for each household so I can also control pregnancies.You can use lot options to disallow zoning for pets or some types of pets like disallowing horses on tiny lots.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    @igazor - I'm still learning about mods and I've hit a problem and I've searched the NRAAS site and have drawn a blank so I thought I'd see if you can give me the answer I want. The NRAAS site gave the answer I don't want and I suspect that is the only answer I'm going to get.

As you know I have ported a lot of Sims into Sunset Valley. Among those sims is a copy of two Sunset Valley residents, Christopher Steel and Gobias Koffi

I chose to pick the way Porter would handle the transfer. I did it several different ways and never got the result I wanted. The thing I wanted was for the resident version to be annihilated, and the DV version being imported to replace the resident. Before I did this I considered annihilating them before making the import. But decided to use Porter as I'm still learning and I wanted to see what would happen. Now I know next time I do in fact need to annihilate them first.

I ended up with the existing resident version of the two Sims with all the relationships of the imported version of the Sims.

This means they have lost all skills, work experience and lifetime rewards. Christopher was a young adult human with no skills and no lifetime rewards. The Christopher I had tried to import was an adult werewolf with a lot of skill and a lot of lifetime rewards. He was well on the way to becoming an elder.

Same thing for Gobias.

I was looking for a way to give them their Lifetime Rewards back using a mod. But I can only find a way to remove their lifetime rewards.

My question is: Am I missing something, or is this it?

I did also consider deleting the two Sims I've got and importing them from Dragon Valley. This would make them lose their relationships. I had a look at Christopher's relationships and decided not to do that.

I guess I'm stuck with what I've got for now, but if I ever do this sort of thing again I should probably get rid of the existing Sims in the destination world before doing the import.