Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

VOTE: open world or no rabbit holes?

This seems to be what every forum ends up talking about so let's vote. Do we want an open world maybe some rabbit holes or sims 2 style closed world with loading screens but we get to take sims to work or school?

I know it will probs be somewhere between the two but I dread the return to loading screens, except if it means taking our sims between worlds should ea grants us this joy...

If you are voting no rabbit holes could you please clarify if you mean you want literally everything open, say the stadium and the hospital for example, and how this might work. I'm struggling to picture it unless it's showtime-esque and just one room opens maybe. Then we could take sims to see a doctor in a consulting room or something. Or maybe we just want restaurants and clothes stores and I really like the idea of gas stations that I've read on various threads. Anyway, let me know.

I VOTE OPEN WORLD

Comments

• Options
    ElyssandarielElyssandariel Posts: 556 Member
    edited October 2013
    I vote open world with no rabbit holes except school and work. I don't want to follow them to the school and watch them shuffle papers all day. Or kick around a ball all day in the athletic career. What I want are shopping centers and pubs and restaurants and spas and things like that.
    tumblr_inline_mw78cm2WhN1qajk9h.gif
    Thicker Than Thieves: A sim legacy story

• Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited October 2013
    I vote open world with no rabbit holes except school and work. I don't want to follow them to the school and watch them shuffle papers all day. Or kick around a ball all day in the athletic career. What I want are shopping centers and pubs and restaurants and spas and things like that.

100% agree. Other than school/work, there should be no reason why they can't make everything else an open venue and not a rabbithole other than laziness. The game, as they stated, will run better on lower end machines. Wouldn't that make it easier for them to do this without the game exploding?

If I see ONE rabbithole other than school/work I'm going to be VERY disappointed with the game. At this point in time, it shouldn't be done. Just my two cents though.
  • Options
    ValandisValandis Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited October 2013
    If I could, open world with no rabbit holes. Don't want to choose what they do at work and school? Then don't. They could make it so they do stuff automatic at work so it's not big loss if you decide not to interfere. We can already do that in a way in The Sims 3 by choosing a few options.
  • Options
    TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited October 2013
    Sk8rblaze wrote:

100% agree. Other than school/work, there should be no reason why they can't make everything else an open venue and not a rabbithole other than laziness. The game, as they stated, will run better on lower end machines. Wouldn't that make it easier for them to do this without the game exploding?

If I see ONE rabbithole other than school/work I'm going to be VERY disappointed with the game. At this point in time, it shouldn't be done. Just my two cents though.

Computer processing power. With Sims 3, this would result in your town being pretty much empty.

Even with optimization, to fully open everything except work and school, they probably would have to go closed-world again. From what I understand, it's a problem with engine type that simply cannot be solved.
  • Options
    Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited October 2013
    A mix of both. Workplaces and schools can remain rabbitholes. Shops and restaurants should remain open.

However, processing power could be a problem... so maybe they could do semi-open shops and restaurants.

Here's an idea I had; shops and restaurants act like rabbitholes when your Sim isn't there. Sims that work there just go in and disappear, as do Sims who go shopping or eating there. But once you direct your Sim(s) to go there, it opens up to a functioning venue.

I'm not sure if that's even possible, but it's an idea anyway. Might as well put it out there :P.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    edited October 2013
    Open world, love the open world and I don't care what my sims do at school and work, Uni proofed it's not interesting.
  • Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited October 2013
    I vote open world/rabbit hole, with a 'load rabbit hole' option, wherein you 'can', if you want, visit a rabbit hole, and then it loads a separate lot. But the visit would be optional, via menu option when you click on the rabbit hole.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I vote open world/rabbit hole, with a 'load rabbit hole' option, wherein you 'can', if you want, visit a rabbit hole, and then it loads a separate lot. But the visit would be optional, via menu option when you click on the rabbit hole.

Well, I was typing up my vote, but... this says it perfectly. And much shorter.

So, this is my vote as well.
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    edited October 2013
    No rabbit holes.

I don't care what they do with the world. There was never anything interesting to do in the open world, so I don't know what the fuss is about.have
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Sk8rblaze wrote:

Computer processing power. With Sims 3, this would result in your town being pretty much empty.

Even with optimization, to fully open everything except work and school, they probably would have to go closed-world again. From what I understand, it's a problem with engine type that simply cannot be solved.

But they released (half baked) versions of the venues from TS2 in the Store and some EPs.

(e.g bowling alleys, cafes, restaurants, spa/salon, etc.) These are the venues I think most people mean, not hospitals, science center, etc.

Honestly, my solution to the venues with nobody in them is to just reintroduce the system TS2 had where it would randomly generate Sims (perhaps they can be known as Sims from the nearest neighborhood or w/e) alongside the townies.

The fact that TS4 will run better than TS3 did on all machines leads me to think it could be done, but you probably know more than me in this area. :lol:
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    edited October 2013
    Open world. I don't care about the rabbit holes, they don't bother me.

I can't imagine playing with the parents at work and the children at school at the same time.
    :roll: not the option talk again!
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Sk8rblaze wrote:
    Sk8rblaze wrote:

But they released (half baked) versions of the venues from TS2 in the Store and some EPs.

(e.g bowling alleys, cafes, restaurants, spa/salon, etc.) These are the venues I think most people mean, not hospitals, science center, etc.

Honestly, my solution to the venues with nobody in them is to just reintroduce the system TS2 had where it would randomly generate Sims (perhaps they can be known as Sims from the nearest neighborhood or w/e) alongside the townies.

The fact that TS4 will run better than TS3 did on all machines leads me to think it could be done, but you probably know more than me in this area. :lol:

The venues they released in the Store also tend to have no visitors. Kinda hard to point to those as good examples when they're usually devoid of life :P

The bowling alley... kinda iffy. I found it's only really popular in the University subhood. For a main neighborhood, I tend to end up adding things like Late Night bars to it to encourage visitors.

The system from Sims 2 would quickly overwhelm system resources under an open world. It's an ongoing problem I don't see fixed any time soon. The issue is the open world itself... this engine type has to run the entire world at all times. Most open world games use a different engine type, which doesn't require that. Of course, that engine type also doesn't allow as much in-game customization...

The fact they state Sims 4 will run better on computers than Sims 3, despite the more modern graphics, and have stated nothing about the world being open or closed leads me to suspect it's closed.
  • Options
    KyliesThoughtsKyliesThoughts Posts: 698 Member
    edited October 2013
    I'm sorry, but if I absolutely, positively have to go choose, I would go with close world no rabbit holes especially if we get to see them at school and work. I just really hated those darn rabbit holes, maybe a little bit more than the average simmer. :lol: I want to see my sims out at dinner and make them toast and flirt with each other over the table, and watch them try on clothes and interact with the clerk. I missed the little things like actually watching them go grocery shopping. I mean, I liked the idea of an open world and if we could have both, that would be wonderful, but I just really despised those rabbit holes. :x
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited October 2013
    Even TS2 had rabbit holes.
    They were the careers, so being closed world doesn't automatically mean everything is opened. The TS2 rabbit holes were worse because your sims went off-screen leaving you with absolutely nothing to do if you were only playing one sim, or if all your sims had jobs. You also couldn't tell them how to work.

My only issue with TS3 rabbit holes is there is no interactive restaurant and spa. There should also be clothing stores. I don't mind the other lots being rabbit holes.
    I would rather have an open world with rabbit hole/interactive lot choices like TS3, but there must certainly be Night Life styled interactive restaurants.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    CK213 wrote:
    Even TS2 had rabbit holes.
    They were the careers, so being closed world doesn't automatically mean everything is opened. The TS2 rabbit holes were worse because your sims went off-screen leaving you with absolutely nothing to do if you were only playing one sim, or if all your sims had jobs. You also couldn't tell them how to work.

My only issue with TS3 rabbit holes is there is no interactive restaurant and spa. There should also be clothing stores. I don't mind the other lots being rabbit holes.
    I would rather have an open world with rabbit hole/interactive lot choices like TS3, but there must certainly be Night Life styled interactive restaurants.

In the announcement trailer of sims 3 there was a clothing store :?
  • Options
    hihi122122hihi122122 Posts: 1,259 Member
    edited October 2013
    I would like to be able to build the lots, similar to the store content items that you can buy, but I'd also like to be able to place the rabbit holes in my town. I can send them off to do something if I don't feel like watching their every move.

Ultimately, I vote open world. It makes the town feel so much more alive. Plus, I can have sims on multiple lots and continue to have time pass. (For example, a teen takes care of the kids, builds skills, etc. while the mum and dad go on a date -- no time lost in the void.)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    The fact they state Sims 4 will run better on computers than Sims 3, despite the more modern graphics, and have stated nothing about the world being open or closed leads me to suspect it's closed.

What about the trolley we've seen in multiple pics?

Meh, after TS3, I don't really mind it, but I don't know for sure. Judging from the early UI pic (should it really be closed world), it looks like they'll be able to make it much more detailed.

I really hope they found a solution, maybe somewhere between having a closed world and open world to fix these issues.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Sk8rblaze wrote:

Meh, after TS3, I don't really mind it, but I don't know for sure. Judging from the early UI pic (should it really be closed world), it looks like they'll be able to make it much more detailed.

I really hope they found a solution, maybe somewhere between having a closed world and open world to fix these issues.

It would be like the helicopter, cars, people flying, etc. in Sims 2. Just transportation you enter before ending up going through a loading screen to another lot.

I kinda suspect the closed world sections will be bigger than just your lot, though. Probably small slices of the world.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Sk8rblaze wrote:

It would be like the helicopter, cars, people flying, etc. in Sims 2. Just transportation you enter before ending up going through a loading screen to another lot.

I kinda suspect the closed world sections will be bigger than just your lot, though. Probably small slices of the world.

I have the same suspicion, maybe your house and the street in front, and the lot next to you. That could work as we saw the park next to the house and the street would work for summoning the streetcar.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Sk8rblaze wrote:

Yeah, that's most likely the case.
  • Options
    Zppy972Zppy972 Posts: 568 Member
    edited October 2013
    Open world. :-)
  • Options
    ShelleybellyShelleybelly Posts: 2,587 Member
    edited October 2013
    Sk8rblaze wrote:

They mentioned neighbourhood rather than world with Sims4. So I'm thinking you're correct.
    It would be cool if these neighbourhoods were small open districts, even a block or two. So we could have a downtown, lakeside/seaside, countryside, etc all within the "world" So you could still go outside and visit your neighbour, or take a stroll, but you'd get a small load screen to enter another district
  • Options
    3fansforever3fansforever Posts: 1,421 Member
    edited October 2013
    Ide like both, except i want work/school to remain rabbitholes.

If i had to choose ide say no more rabbit holes (except work/schools).

I dont feel ide miss the open world that much... the only thing it did was create the issue of having a lonely lot because no one was there. :roll:
  • Options
    ElyssandarielElyssandariel Posts: 556 Member
    edited October 2013
    Districts! Oh this would be fantastic! Decorate them differently and have them feel a bit differently theme wise. I wouldn't mind a semi closed world if it was like that.
    tumblr_inline_mw78cm2WhN1qajk9h.gif
    Thicker Than Thieves: A sim legacy story

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Districts would be a nice way for them to compromise it! It solves some of the problems Sims 2 had while avoiding the problems with open world that Sims 3 demonstrated.