Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Eating Contests are lethal

I've spotted a problem with the eating contest. If a sim begins to either vomit or spit out food during one, their hunger bar suddenly drops to zero, putting them in severe danger of dying.

Actually had it happen during one of my teen's first date with his girlfriend. Figured I'd send the date to the Autumn Festival, things were going great, took a greeting card, then they happened to meet up with two of their friends, so I had the four do an apple bobbing contest. Lots of fun, happy teen sims. So i figured have them do the pie eating contest. All was going great, pie all over their faces, fun and laughter...then suddenly, horror! One of the teen friends spits out some food, starts complaining of starvation, then promptly keels over dead. Aha, I think, my teen is a great chess player, so i challenge the Reaper to a game of chess for his friends's life...but alas, Ol Death would rather go grab a snowcone. :cry: Death by starvation during an eating contest...

Oddly, turned out to be a brilliant date for my sim despite the disaster.

So, just to let people know, *SAVE YOUR GAME* before doing any of the eating contests, or you might end up with dead sims.

Comments

• Options
    wistfoolwistfool Posts: 74 Member
    edited December 2012
    Oh, man, I wish I'd seen this thread earlier. My self-sim just expired that way when I was playing last night. Luckily my parent-sims' career choices mean that they have the skills to get to ambrosia, but it's just a big inconvenience for everyone involved.

So has anyone been able to save their sim by using a cheat and dragging their hunger level to green?
  • Options
    VihzelVihzel Posts: 734 New Member
    edited December 2012
    I'm really not fond of the chance of dying due to eating contests. It happened one time to my only Sim that I was playing. I used the resetSim cheat and he was revived.
  • Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited December 2012
    I see but the problem with this is that also inactive Sims (the ones we're not currently playing) participate in the eating contest, even if we are not around ourselves.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    MegancharltonMegancharlton Posts: 3,731 New Member
    edited December 2012
    No offence, but since I havent played sims 3 for two months it seems kinda funny. You've just ate loads of pie, and then you die of starvation. It seems hilariously, but painfully, ironic.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,380 Member
    edited December 2012
    When my sims are in an eating contest, I keep my mouse over the pause button. I refuse to let my sim die of starvation. One time my sim was in a contest with Shark Racket and sure enough, he keeled over. :shock: Nope, ain't gonna happen. :lol:
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    emokun14emokun14 Posts: 78 New Member
    edited December 2012
    WOW ok getting seasons tomorrow so note to self keep away from eating contests. :shock:
  • Options
    NightsRiverNightsRiver Posts: 91 New Member
    edited December 2012
    emokun14 wrote:
    WOW ok getting seasons tomorrow so note to self keep away from eating contests. :shock:

I'm getting it too, might as well write it down in a notebook.. :roll:
  • Options
    lmlenalmlena Posts: 14 New Member
    edited December 2012
    wistfool wrote:
    So has anyone been able to save their sim by using a cheat and dragging their hunger level to green?

Yes, I was able to do this with a sim. I had him do an eating contest not long after I had first gotten Seasons and I noticed his hunger bar was rapidly falling. One of the mods I have always has testing cheats enabled (thankfully!), so I was able to quickly drag his hunger bar back up, saving him from the brink of death! I'm not sure if this is a huge glitch or not, but it's not fun.
  • Options
    Jazmyne4u2Jazmyne4u2 Posts: 158 Member
    edited December 2012
    :lol::lol: Nice back story. Sorry for your sims loss :lol:
  • Options
    HowrseFooHowrseFoo Posts: 200
    edited December 2012
    Owie XD I'll keep that in mind when I'm playing it later..
  • Options
    FormelxFormelx Posts: 578 New Member
    edited December 2012
    That is going to leave a mark.
  • Options
    Mytwinkletoes12Mytwinkletoes12 Posts: 81
    edited December 2012
    Thanks for the warning. Sorry 'bout your sim.
  • Options
    EmmaBarbieEmmaBarbie Posts: 5,836 Member
    edited December 2012
    Dying while in an eating contest. Sim logic.
    Sorry about your sim :(
    You're too late.
  • Options
    sirona66sirona66 Posts: 5,196 Member
    edited December 2012
    well they can die from the eating contest. but i think they had no choice type way to somehow do other than the starvation. Of course it is strange, but it is what can happen, though it is suppose to be rare.

others have had their sims die from the eating contests, but so far i guess i am lucky i have not had this happen.
  • Options
    riniraerinirae Posts: 3,916 New Member
    edited December 2012
    Anyone know if there's a mod to turn off death by eating contests?
  • Options
    SimstopicsSimstopics Posts: 107 Member
    edited December 2012
    rinirae wrote:
    Anyone know if there's a mod to turn off death by eating contests?

No but I would suggest only doing the contest if your sim is hungry. I haven't had any troubles with death when they are hungry, just went they are already full hunger bar and then they start to throw up. Lol.
    PS4: InDebtShopaholic, BrokeShopaholic, DaRealShopaholic
    Xbox: BrokeShopaholic
    Steam: BrokeShopaholic
    Origin: Simstopics
  • Options
    nkthgrtnkthgrt Posts: 638 Member
    edited December 2012
    i make sure all my favourite sims have a deathflower in their inventory all all times - good for situations like this!
  • Options
    VespidaeVespidae Posts: 3,354 Member
    edited December 2012
    The first time I ever played Seasons, I had my sim enter a hot dog eating contest. It was the first thing I had him do... then it was the last thing he ever did. He died of starvation in the middle of the contest. :lol: I remember that I froze in shock with my jaw dropped, I couldn't believe it. Then my sense of humor kicked in and I couldn't stop laughing. Good times. :mrgreen:
    funny-kitten-scared-of-a-lizard_zps4fet4xdj.gif
  • Options
    hollynoelhollynoel Posts: 2,242 New Member
    edited December 2012
    RobECoyote wrote:
    I've spotted a problem with the eating contest. If a sim begins to either vomit or spit out food during one, their hunger bar suddenly drops to zero, putting them in severe danger of dying.

Actually had it happen during one of my teen's first date with his girlfriend. Figured I'd send the date to the Autumn Festival, things were going great, took a greeting card, then they happened to meet up with two of their friends, so I had the four do an apple bobbing contest. Lots of fun, happy teen sims. So i figured have them do the pie eating contest. All was going great, pie all over their faces, fun and laughter...then suddenly, horror! One of the teen friends spits out some food, starts complaining of starvation, then promptly keels over dead. Aha, I think, my teen is a great chess player, so i challenge the Reaper to a game of chess for his friends's life...but alas, Ol Death would rather go grab a snowcone. :cry: Death by starvation during an eating contest...

Oddly, turned out to be a brilliant date for my sim despite the disaster.

So, just to let people know, *SAVE YOUR GAME* before doing any of the eating contests, or you might end up with dead sims.

I think this is supposed to be death by choking. (eating too fast) I've had this happen to my sim too.
  • Options
    kenkie79kenkie79 Posts: 36 Member
    edited December 2012
    OP, I don't know why but I literally burst out laughing at you review of what happened. Thanks for the info though. I have to keep this in mind.
  • Options
    KhasilooluvKhasilooluv Posts: 527 Member
    edited December 2012
    I received TS3 Seasons two days ago, I must be lucky because I've joined the eating contest with two sims (they were moderately full) and both were fine afterwards....

I'll keep this in mind.

Unless this is what EA meant to do, they really need to fix it. I enjoy the eating contest a lot.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,411 Member
    edited December 2012
    There is a way to prevent this. By using testingcheats and raising the hunger motive on your sim and moviemakercheats switching to the unplayable sim and raising his motives then switch back to yours.
  • Options
    ShaneyBoyShaneyBoy Posts: 2,134 Member
    edited December 2012
    I received TS3 Seasons two days ago, I must be lucky because I've joined the eating contest with two sims (they were moderately full) and both were fine afterwards....

I'll keep this in mind.

Unless this is what EA meant to do, they really need to fix it. I enjoy the eating contest a lot.

Yeah, the same thing with me. Although I got it yesterday.
  • Options
    anit1983anit1983 Posts: 886 Member
    edited December 2012
    Is it supposed to happen or is it a glitch? It happened to me too. I only had one sim in my family, because it was a new game and she hadn't met anyone yet. I quit without saving to save her. I thought it was strange that she was starving to death while stuffing her face. Is it really a choking death and EA didn't make a new icon for it? I would like to know! Sims are always choking when they eat, even eating cereal at home, they start coughing and hitting their chest. It figures they would die in eating contests. :?
  • Options
    xromanticxshadowxxromanticxshadowx Posts: 458 Member
    edited December 2012
    this happened to the only sim I had in the household on the first 18 sim hours of having the game on xmas. I was Pssd!