Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Supernatural" Expansion Pack Poetry Competition 2012- WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Hello there! With the forthcoming release of the “Supernatural” expansion pack I thought it would be fitting to hold a poetry competition about this, and to give away Simoleons to the winning entries!

I know that writing a poem can be a very time consuming process and as a result the rewards for the winning entries hopefully reflect this!

The rewards for the winning entries will be as follows:

1st place - 5,000 Simpoints
2nd place - 2,000 Simpoints
Next x5 places - 1,000 Simpoints each

Total rewards - 12,000 Simpoints*
*further rewards may be added on a discretionary basis

Given that the idea behind the new expansion pack fires the imagination, the theme of the competition will of course be based on a poem about “Supernatural”- the poem does not need to be specifically about the expansion pack but extra kudos will be given to those entrants who tie in the poem to the forthcoming expansion pack.

Unfortunately, there do have to be a few rules, so I set out them below:

1. All poems must be the entrant's own work, and not be plagiarised or copied from elsewhere
2. The poem does not need to rhyme, and can be in any format
3. All entries must comply with all of Electronic Arts’ forum rules
4. All entries must be in English- US English or UK English is fine (no distinction will be made for any distinctions between the two in terms of spelling or grammar- i.e. US English “color”/UK English “colour”)
5. The poem should not exceed 100 lines of text
6. The date for submission of poems will be 19th August 2012 (midnight PST)
7. The winners will be announced on 1st September 2012 or earlier and the Simoleons given to the winning entries
8. The theme of the poem is “Supernatural” and can be on any subject which the entrant believes reflects the theme. Any references to the forthcoming expansion pack will be looked on favourably if included in the body of the poem
9. Only one poem per entrant please
10. The poem can be amended up to any point up to the closing deadline- you may reserve a post if you wish
11. Depending on the number of entrants, a limit on the number of poems which can be submitted may need to be set. Initially no limit will be set.
12. All entries will be marked using a rubric to assist the scoring process, and to ensure fairness to all entrants. The rubric is mentioned below.
13. All scores will be published after the judging process is concluded and brief feedback can be given on request

Judging rubric:

Points will be awarded for the following categories:-

1) Impact of the piece
2) Form & Flow
3) Choice of Words and Readability
4) Technical excellence (i.e. use of meter/rhyme/assonance and alliteration)
5) Originality
6) Relevance to the subject matter and the Supernatural Expansion Pack

I will keep a list of the entrants and title of poems in the reserved posts below and update them on a frequent basis up until the closing date of 19th August 2012!

Given that judging poetry is so subjective by far the most weighted category for judging will be the “Impact of the Piece”- i.e. what effect it has on the reader.

If you do not normally write poetry why not give it a try? Finally, good luck to all entrants and if you need any further information please do not hesitate to post on these forums with any queries that you may have! I will do my best to respond an a timeous fashion- time permitting!!

Good luck :D

PS any feedback given after the competition has closed will be positive and constructive and not critical.

Comments

• Options
    johnlaminorjohnlaminor Posts: 68 Member
    edited August 2012
    Reserved for list of entrants (17th August 2012 updated list)

EmmaBarbie- page 2 post 2- reserved
    Daethaqt- page 2 post 7- reserved
    Pegasus1993- page 2 post 12 "Zero- a sonnet by pegasus1993"
    rachel_jls360- page 2 post 14 "The Undead's Masquerade"
    Kovu0207- page 3 post 1 "The real life of sims"
    Shogunfish- page 5 post 7 “Fairies”
    FerretPersona- page 5 post 10
    Starguru- Page 6 Post 7 “Welcome to Moonlight Falls”
    Undamaged77- page 6 post 1 “The Change”
    Lopitherus- page 6 post 7 “Wings to Love”
    Murfeel- Page 6 Post 15 –Untitled
    Daciacbride- Page 7 Post 7- “A Barn in the Snow Covered Night”
    Selahgio- Page 7 Post 8- “Admiring A Werewolf”
    GeekAngelGirl- Page 7 Post 9-“Moonlight Falls”
    BryonyRae- Page 7 Post 12- Untitled
    Rawr2019- Page 8 Post 10- “Tales of the Night”
    Berie- Page 8 Post 14- “Untitled”
    Playermarko456- Page 9 Post 5 “Occult”
    45rpm- Page 9 Post 11“A Vampire’s Ode”
    SimMania2k9- Page 10 Post 8- “I am the Monster”
    NicoleDisney- Page 11 Post 5- “The Siren’s Story”
    The SocialBlight- Page 11 Post 11- “Supernatural Saturday”
    Ekoponny- Page 11 Post 13- Untitled
    Winterclouds-Page 12 Post 1- Untitled
    Smarties101- Page 12 Post 5-“When All Ends…Call the Zombies”
    Hello83433- Page 12 Post 11-“Supernatural Delight”
    Ashaela- Page 17 Post 6- "Untitled"
    Headfuzz- Page 17 Post 11- "Imagination"
    Kayzeegrl- Page 18 Post 5- "His First Time Transforming"
    Shannon1w1- Page 18 Post 10- "Nothing to be afraid of"
    Smiler3- Page 18 Post 15- “The Succubus”
    Readalot_Lady- Page 19 Post 1- “The Witching Hour”
    Blazerine- Page 19 Post 2- “The Moonlight Calling”
    Hollena- Page 19 Post 5- “A Vampires Surprise”
    Bdowg2- Page 20 Post 1- "Zombies Rise"
    Goofball01- Page 20 Post 5- “Supernatural!”
    Squrt- Page 20 Post 6- “Welcome, Immortal”
    Ciane- Page 20 Post 9- “Something Strange is Happening”
    Skdluzak- Page 20 Post 15- “Moonlight Falls Night”
    SnowyMist 7- Page 21 Post 2- “Sparks of the Supernatural”
    Emmy0322- Page 21 Post 5- “A Supernatural Secret”
    RMoonchild- Page 21 Post 6- “Sacrificial Sprite”
    SingingSims- Page 21 Post 8- “Amazing Creatures”
    Zulie234-Page 21 Post 10-"Fortunes of the Undead"
    Eddie21191- Page 21 Post 15 “Zombies”
    Joeythesimsfan- Page 22 Post 2 “Playtime”
    Grizzly- Page 22 Post 6 "Party Time"
    FudgeLab- Page 22 Post 7 "We'll be back"

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    JOINT 1ST PRIZE (2,500 Simpoints each)

FerretPersona “Untitled” (Page 5 Post 12)- Score 88/100
    Starguru “Welcome to Moonlight Falls” (Page 6 Post 7)- Score 88/100

2ND PRIZE (2,000 Simpoints)

Emmy0322 “A Supernatural Surprise” (Page 21 Post 5)- Score 87/100

3rd PRIZE (1,000 Simpoints each)*

Kayzeegrl “His First Time Transforming” (Page 18 Post 5)- Score 86/100
    Kovu0207 “The Real Life of Sims” (Page 3 Post 1)- Score 85/100
    Thesocialblight “Supernatural Saturday” (Page 11 Post 10)- Score 84/100
    Shannon1w1 “Nothing to be Afraid of” (Page 18 Post 10)- Score 83/100
    - *because the next two entries received the same score they will receive a joint shared prize of 500 Simpoints each*
    *NicoleDisney “The Siren’s Story” (Page 11 Post 10)- Score 82/100
    *Ashaela “Untitled” (Page 17 Post 6)- Score 82/100

PLEASE CAN ALL WINNERS LET ME KNOW THEIR PREFERENCES FROM THEIR WISHLISTS- IF I DON'T HEAR BACK SAY IN A WEEK'S TIME I'LL GIFT FROM THE HIGHEST SIMPOINT PRIZES ON THE LISTS! CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE WINNERS!! :D
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Competition ended 22nd August- Total prize pool- 13,000 Simpoints (10,000 sent)

Discretionary prize pool yet to be distributed

Gifted so far:

Emmy0322- 2000 Simpoints
    Shannon1w1- 1000 Simpoints
    Ashaela- 500 Simpoints
    Starguru- 2500 Simpoints
    Ferret Persona- 2500 Simpoints (500 for Ferret, 2000 to other entrants yet to be allocated)
    Kayzeegrl- 1000 Simpoints
    Ciane- 500 Simpoints (given to Stevesuzz)
  • Options
    kovu0207kovu0207 Posts: 6,209 Member
    edited June 2012
    This is a very generous competition :o Especially for one so new and for your first competition. :-)

Welcome to the forums and I hope the competition goes well. I may enter as I find writing poetry quite fun. :D
    kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • Options
    joeythesimsfanjoeythesimsfan Posts: 849 New Member
    edited June 2012
    Book marked. I will try and remember to give this a go. :)
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    kovu0207 wrote:
    This is a very generous competition :o Especially for one so new and for your first competition. :-)

Welcome to the forums and I hope the competition goes well. I may enter as I find writing poetry quite fun. :D

I love writing and reading poetry too! Yes I am somewhat new to the forums too- the new expansion pack does indeed give a great scope for creativity and some exclusivity to the prospect of writing about "Supernatural"!

Having entered and judged many poetry competitions personally the rewards should be generous- a really good poem can take a very long time to construct :) Or five minutes if you are a genius (which I most definitely am not!)
  • Options
    kovu0207kovu0207 Posts: 6,209 Member
    edited June 2012
    kovu0207 wrote:

I love writing and reading poetry too! Yes I am somewhat new to the forums too- the new expansion pack does indeed give a great scope for creativity and some exclusivity to the prospect of writing about "Supernatural"!

Having entered and judged many poetry competitions personally the rewards should be generous- a really good poem can take a very long time to construct :) Or five minutes if you are a genius (which I most definitely am not!)

Good to see you feel comfortable yto just jump in and hold a contest :D Please do feel free to chat and enter things on the forum :D And I agree about the scope for supernatural it's got my imagination fired that's for sure. :D
    kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited June 2012
    I love poetry! I shall lurk here a lot and I'm sure I'll write one myself. Does a happy, happy dance.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    ciane wrote:
    I love poetry! I shall lurk here a lot and I'm sure I'll write one myself. Does a happy, happy dance.

Take a seat and be welcome! (or dance on it if you prefer to do so!)

Hmm... perhaps I should be answering posts in rhyme, perhaps not this time, thank you for posting in a positive line- and I'm sure to check back to see your rhyme :D
  • Options
    rachel_jls360rachel_jls360 Posts: 922 New Member
    edited June 2012
    I usually suck at writing poems, but I'll give it a shot; you never know, I might get lucky.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I usually suck at writing poems, but I'll give it a shot; you never know, I might get lucky.

It matters not, as should be the case, whether you think you suck at writing poetry among the Sim populace, I am sure that Shakespeare thought he was quite bad, without a rhyming dictionary when he was a lad, but give it a go and who knows, let us see! Who knows who could be a winner potentially?
  • Options
    edited June 2012

It matters not, as should be the case, whether you think you suck at writing poetry among the Sim populace, I am sure that Shakespeare thought he was quite bad, without a rhyming dictionary when he was a lad, but give it a go and who knows, let us see! Who knows who could be a winner potentially?

Hopefully, that'll be the case. One quick question that crossed my mind; see if you wanted to use one line from an existing poem/song, could you put a little mark next to it (*like so) and at the end explain that the bit wasn't your work and you own nothing of it (if that makes sence)?
  • Options
    Emmy0322Emmy0322 Posts: 1,239 New Member
    edited June 2012
    I love writing poems! I will definitely try to enter this :D
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    "Hopefully, that'll be the case. One quick question that crossed my mind; see if you wanted to use one line from an existing poem/song, could you put a little mark next to it (*like so) and at the end explain that the bit wasn't your work and you own nothing of it (if that makes sence)?[/quote]"

That would be perfectly fine- someone else's line can be added, provided the body of the poem and theme is your own work, and from writing your own lines you do not shirk :)
  • Options
    shelwassshelwass Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited June 2012
    Been a while since I've done a contest, but I love to write, so I may just have to give this one a try. :) Thanks for hosting--it's VERY generous of you! :)
  • Options
    EmmaBarbieEmmaBarbie Posts: 5,836 Member
    edited July 2012
    A fairy's tale.

From day to day I sit at the waterfall, playing my melodies for all to hear. However, all they can hear is a morning doves song, but to them I'm not playing. My songs I play to the man who unknowingly has my heart, to him I play every note. But unfortunately, he cannot see me, for I am the fairy of music. And my song is for him. He comes to the waterfall at 6:30 every morning, I playing a song that rises with the sun, and falls when he leaves. I sit beside him, wishing that I can be with him. And so the Witch of Wishes hears me. I rest my head on his shoulder but he cannot feel nor see anything. He gets up and leaves me behind, I call his name and say goodbye, playing my tune that he cannot hear. The Witch walks up behind me and tells me, she knows a way I can make myself seen to all humans. She allows me one day of sight, in that day if I cannot make him love me, I will die at 6:30. Because to make the potion the Witch needed my wings. A day that I must not waste. I thank her gratefully, before I drink the potion. I run off, to find my love, I find him at his garden working at his roses. I nervously approach him, clutching my flute closely. All I really want is to play him great music. I greet him, yet I startle him, he doesn't seem to look in my direction. It discourages me, I feel like he's dismissing me. I kneel beside him and ask if he likes music, he tells me he does and seems to hear music every day in the forest near the water fall. I smile greatly before taking a deep breath and I began playing my flute, he cheerfully sways back and forth. As I finish he applauds, he doesn't seem to be confused of where I come from, nor does he even look me in the eye. I ask him what colors he likes, but he answers saying that he's been blind from birth. This astonishes me. So it does not matter if he can see me or not, he's always been able to hear my music. I get up to leave, but he asks if I have a place to stay, I answer I don't and he invites me in. The next day, I feel like I have wasted all my time, the witch had given me the potion at sunset and technically the day was over. I begin to walk past him, knowing he does not know I'm here. But he stops me with a question. "Your leaving?" Then I realized, I didn't waste what was left of the day like the witch had wanted.
    You're too late.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    shelwass wrote:
    Been a while since I've done a contest, but I love to write, so I may just have to give this one a try. :) Thanks for hosting--it's VERY generous of you! :)

You are very welcome! And looking forward to your entry! :D

@ EmmaBarbie- noted and posted on front page :) Thanks for your interest :)
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I've actually nearly finished my entry already :shock: I have a feeling I've gone over the line limit. I'll check but, hopefully I'll post my finished entry tonight or tomorrow morning.

EDIT; I'm a grammar freak so, of course I had to correct my grammar error!
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Wow Rachel! That was incredibly quick! You can tweak your entry up to deadline which is a few weeks away :)

I've been incredibly encouraged by the amount of posts initially and I will of course pop back regularly to update the entrants list and answer any questions I can.

If your poem is over 100 lines in total (that would be quite a long poem!), then that should be fine so long as it is not say 200 lines over the limit... a few lines over the limit should not be a bar to any creative ideas you have!

• Options
    TnT_TerryTnT_Terry Posts: 6,629 Member
    edited June 2012
    8) I simply can't resist this challenge, thanks so much for hosting and welcome to the community. Feel free to send me a FR if you haven't already....hugs ;)
    I own every basegame, EP, GP, SP and kits for all sims, ie.., sims 1, 2, 3 and 4
    I am a sims 3 Store Owner Thanks to all my Amazing friends here, and I do own all store stuff from sims 2 as well!

gjmdPt7.png
  • Options
    DaethaqtDaethaqt Posts: 760 Member
    edited June 2012
    Reserve
  • Options
    clubersclubers Posts: 7,958 Member
    edited June 2012
    How ironic, I recently had to write several original pieces of poetry in a poetry booklet (16 pages). Too bad I did it last minute and several are terrible and don't fit your theme... and I'm bad at poetry in general. :lol:
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    @TnT_Terry- thank you :) I've sent a request and look forward to reading your entry in the future :)

Daethaqt- post reserved for your entry

Clubers- that's a shame! Well please feel free to enter another if you like (the closing date is some way off so plenty of time to write one)

• Options
    pegasas1993pegasas1993 Posts: 4,856 Member
    edited June 2012
    Interesting contest, but the English language is my foreign language, so I'm not sure if I'm able to join as long as my vocabulary isn't as wide as it should be when we are talking about poetry :mrgreen:
  • Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    edited June 2012
    Think I need to rewrit an old poem... well translate and fit it....
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳