Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Am I the only one with a mod free game..?

Comments

• Options
    AKlinkerAKlinker Posts: 258 New Member
    edited June 2012
    I am mod free too. Sure the game might be twitchy at times but I'm too much of a computer illiterate to know how to download, let alone update, mods. Too much work. Power to those that do, though. They are far more savvy that me.

You are not alone :)
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2012
    No, you aren't the only one that trys to play TS3 without mods...

I do add in the animation hack now and then but take it back out when done with it.

Otherwise, my Story Progression doesn't work right as it should, I have the game crash sometimes when I save, or when I try to exit and go to main menu :roll: (Often) and I have the taxi spawning too many in Bridgeport, and the freezes when too many gnomes start spawning on my lots, etc. The Butlers all go missing, and a lot of other bugs that the bigger Mods are supposed to fix.

Yeah, I play with all those wonderful little bugs that make you want to put the game up for sale. Maybe that is one reason I am always annoyed. :lol:
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    10andRose10andRose Posts: 53 New Member
    edited June 2012
    I play mod and CC free. For me it's just not necessary to mod my game. I'm happy with it just the way it is.
  • Options
    TheMomminatorTheMomminator Posts: 4,215 Member
    edited June 2012
    I could give up Story Progression, Register and OnceRead but OverWatch and ErrorTrap stay forever.
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    edited June 2012
    Mikezumi wrote:
    I would never play without mine. I played a vanilla game for over a year, but now that I have seen what mods bring to my game, there is no going backwards :D
    What mods do you have? What do they bring to the game? :)
    Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. My son kicked me off the computer :roll:

I use Master Controller because it gives me total control over the sims in my town. Story Progression is fun because the sims in town all get on with their lives and I get pop-ups telling me who is involved with who and when they get promotions and other stuff as well. There is never a shortage of kids for my sim kids to marry as kids are born all the time. I even had to put in a second school for the kids. I also love Relativity because it makes the sim day longer so my sims have plenty of time for work and play. I have others, but I don't think I can discuss them here.
  • Options
    mierpelsommierpelsom Posts: 415 Member
    edited June 2012
    I have never had - and never will have - mods in my game. Am I alone? I don't want to risk crashing my computer, although some mods are very appealing, I never have downloaded them :) Am I alone on this one?

Not even close to alone. I didn't use mods at all, didn't need to. EA built in all the cheats I needed. It wasn't until about a month ago when I noticed everyone in my town had attained some level of fame simply because of the ONE superstar I had moved into town. I folded, finally, and got nraa's mastercontroller so I could strip everyone but my legacy heir of their stardom.

Now I have so much control over my town I don't want to go without. I love being able to edit sims from other households, switch to a new household without loading screens and change the life state of sims (genie, vampire etc) at will.

The game straight out of the box is more than enough entertainment though so I can totally see never needing or wanting a mod. Play on, simsister!
    Bringer of joy. Lover of life. Wearer of hats.

Grim Spooky Manor Mansion
  • Options
    efcroninefcronin Posts: 1,050 New Member
    edited June 2012
    I don't use any at all. However, I am well on my way as I just installed LN about a week ago and my town is now being overrun by vampires, celebrities (EVERYONE is a flippin celebrity!) and paparazzi. I found out today there is a mod that allows the user to control these things and I'm all over it.

EA should allow the user to have control over this stuff anyway. The game is called the Sims for a reason.
  • Options
    Katnip264Katnip264 Posts: 68 Member
    edited June 2012
    efcronin wrote:
    I don't use any at all. However, I am well on my way as I just installed LN about a week ago and my town is now being overrun by vampires, celebrities (EVERYONE is a flippin celebrity!) and paparazzi. I found out today there is a mod that allows the user to control these things and I'm all over it.

EA should allow the user to have control over this stuff anyway. The game is called the Sims for a reason.

I totally agree here. I wish EA would do something about that issue. I have so many celebs in town it's crazy.
    Simmer since the beginning. Anxiously awaiting Seasons. On Origin--> kitkatcny Happy Simming! B)
  • Options
    Kylieb191Kylieb191 Posts: 4,653 Member
    edited June 2012
    ^
    Know what you mean...my sim became friends with his co-worker (Doctor's career) turns out she was a celeb and then all the family slowly became celebs, annoys me now as they were living normally and now they have paparazzi waiting for hours on end.
    Friends?: http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Kylierose19
    Proud member of the "I own the store" club
    Zpj9msL.png
    The real me:https://twitter.com/CupidStupidLov3
  • Options
    picklesim08picklesim08 Posts: 211 Member
    edited June 2012
    I've never had mods in my TS3 game but I used to use the insimenator, inteenimater, and pose mods in TS2. I don't have CC in my TS3 game either, I'm so proud of myself! haha
  • Options
    shnewbe08shnewbe08 Posts: 105 Member
    edited June 2012
    Nraas Mods are the only mods I'd ever use. They have never screwed up any of my games, only enhanced them. I strongly recommend them, because they fix things that EA themselves should have fixed. Story Proggression actually allows your town to grow and thrive on its own. The neighbors are getting married, people across the street are having a baby. The possibilities are endless. Master Controller allows you to keep track of your Sims and town. Overwatch declogs your game, literally deletes unneeded cars and turns off stereos that are in use around the town. All of these mods have tune-able settings to change and become what you desire.

For those who believe it is too time consuming to install mods or too difficult..It's truly not and it's sooo worth the time and effort. I live by these mods, because they just spice up the game and keeps things moving and thriving! I hope some of you will read what I said and convert to mods! :D
  • Options
    NovaRaptureNovaRapture Posts: 43 New Member
    edited June 2012
    no i dont have mods and most likely never will because I tried once to install them and i screwed up my laptop i dont even know how but it makes no sense.

i cant even downlaod from the exchange without getting some bull crap bad cc
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,539 Member
    edited June 2012
    Everyone seems to have them, and everyone that has them seems unable to play without them :L :P

-I can protect sims from unwanted changes when I switch households.
    -I can stop sims from freaking out and forgetting what they are supposed to be doing whenever a Simbot walks by.
    -I can edit the weird looking vampires EA put in the game.
    -I can reset objects that are glitching (rare, but helpful)
    -I get a heads-up when a sim is making the moves on a sim I wanted my own sim to romance.
    -Can easily remove celebrity status from sims I don't want to have it.
    -I can make time flow slower, so I'm not rushed to get in hot wings, an energy drink, send them to the rest room , socialize, karaoke, take a couple of photo-booth pictures and get some dancing in.
    -There are dozens of other convenient things I can do.

And I have yet to have a problem with my game due to my mods. But you can mess up your game if you don't bother to read the creator's instructions, or don't read up on any issues before installing it, or simply don't know what you are doing.

If it weren't for mods I probably would have stopped buying TS3 EPs after Late Night. It's why I put the mods in. I was beginning to become fed up with the game. They have made the game much more playable and a lot less annoying.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    shnewbe08 wrote:
    Nraas Mods are the only mods I'd ever use. They have never screwed up any of my games, only enhanced them. I strongly recommend them, because they fix things that EA themselves should have fixed. Story Proggression actually allows your town to grow and thrive on its own. The neighbors are getting married, people across the street are having a baby. The possibilities are endless. Master Controller allows you to keep track of your Sims and town. Overwatch declogs your game, literally deletes unneeded cars and turns off stereos that are in use around the town. All of these mods have tune-able settings to change and become what you desire.

For those who believe it is too time consuming to install mods or too difficult..It's truly not and it's sooo worth the time and effort. I live by these mods, because they just spice up the game and keeps things moving and thriving! I hope some of you will read what I said and convert to mods! :D

That. ^

• Options
    WoWLynniaWoWLynnia Posts: 2,715 Member
    edited June 2012
    Oh man, I played with a mod-free game for the first year, and after that, I couldn't ever go back. Although keeping my mods updated is a pain and a chore, the amount they add to my gameplay is VERY worth it. Most of my mods are from Nraas, but I have a couple extraneous mods that do other things, like overhaul my vampires. :)
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    edited June 2012
    Another thing I love about mods is that my saves last longer. Before I got Nraas' mods, my saves would become corrupt by about the 20th sim week. My current game is probably around the 70 sim week range and still going. I am on my 12th generation and this would not be possible without his mods. In earlier games I would have to move my families from town to town, destroying their family trees and relationships. Not my idea of fun at all :(
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    no i dont have mods and most likely never will because I tried once to install them and i screwed up my laptop i dont even know how but it makes no sense.

i cant even downlaod from the exchange without getting some bull crap bad cc

Keep in mind a mod and cc are two different things. Custom Content is an item, hair, clothing, skin ect. Mods change the way the game runs. I'm not aware of any of nraa's mods that would translate to the exchange. I have however gotten lots with a cc fridge or dresser that caused hours of frustration. ((why doesn't this work?!?))

In all I say I love my mods now that I use them. I played without for a long time but the new twist they added has given me renewed joy with simming. The CC, however, I do not feel I need much of. With the EA design tool I can customize just fine all by myself.

• Options
    smilesandlovesmilesandlove Posts: 548 New Member
    edited June 2012
    I was mod free up until about three weeks ago. I've been playing since Sims 1 and I never felt the need to add any 3rd party stuff into my game up until recently. My game would lag and crash and I hated that my household was the only household that ever actually DID anything. No babies, no marriages, no promotions. It got really old. And, a lot of issues like spawning cars, etc. can only be truly fixed with mods. So I installed a few of Twallan's mods and I could not be happier with my decision.
    I used to think that if EA didn't include it in the game themselves then I didn't need it. But my image of EA has been shattered as of late :roll:
  • Options
    Jamesmc2012Jamesmc2012 Posts: 1,264 New Member
    edited June 2012
    Sorry to hijack this thread but my interest is piqued!

I have never used a mod nor have I ever used CC but I am not averse to the idea. I am just computer deficient and I have a Macbook Pro so I feel like I'm limited in my choices. From what I've read, Story Progression sounds like my number one interest along with any mods that can clean up my game's lag and get rid of the blasted memories.

If someone would be kind enough to, perhaps, give me a short list of simple mods that my computer could run, how I install them, and some tips about maintaining them, I would be forever in your debt!

Again, sorry for hijacking your thread but this topic was too interesting to pass up!

Edit: Also, what the person above me posted! My image of EA's game-making capabilities has been shaken quite a bit in the past year. Hence my being open to adding mods. I'm really excited to try this out! :D
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    @James - I'm on a PC so I'm not sure the exact details of what a Mac can/can't run in comparison, but I'll try my best to help.

http://nraas.wikispaces.com/

^ That is Twallan's website and his mods are the best. Definitely look into Story Progression and ErrorTrap and Overwatch. The latter two will help your game run so much more smoothly!

All the mods are listed to the left and clicking them will lead you to a FAQ and the interactions of each one.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Bumping this because I can't wait! I wanna play with mods now, lol!

Edit: Thank you smilesandlove! I will definitely look into that!

Still searching for the answer to whether all these mods are Mac friendly and the rest of my incredibly silly questions! I apologize for my lack of know-how; I am but a layman in the world of computers.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    @James - you're welcome! Now that I think about it, I'm almost positive you can run the same mods on a Mac that you can on a PC. I think how they're installed is the only difference.

Not trying to bombard you with info, but this tutorial on MTS gives steps on how to install mods and CC. Mac info is in each step as well.
    http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_3_Package_Files/Setup_and_Files

Good luck with your mod hunt and I hope someone else can help you more thoroughly than I can :D
  • Options
    QuizeburioQuizeburio Posts: 1,006 Member
    edited June 2012
    Pretty much what you said. I have been tempted in the past, But I couldn't figure out something about my refresh rate or something so I gave up lol. But I still think about downloading sometimes.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    @James - you're welcome! Now that I think about it, I'm almost positive you can run the same mods on a Mac that you can on a PC. I think how they're installed is the only difference.

Not trying to bombard you with info, but this tutorial on MTS gives steps on how to install mods and CC. Mac info is in each step as well.
    http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_3_Package_Files/Setup_and_Files

Good luck with your mod hunt and I hope someone else can help you more thoroughly than I can :D

Oh goodness! This is really helpful! Thank you so much. nraas' mods seem to be EXACTLY what I'm looking for :D

I can't thank you enough. I was looking for something short, sweet, and to the point and you delivered. You get 5 gold stars. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Jamesmc2012, if you go to nraa's site you can look into what's compatible with what. The installation process is outlined step by step and should be even easier for you if you didn't use mods "the old way".

I usually keep the directions open (even if I have done it before) just in case anything changed. If you understand how to unzip and move files you should be fine.

If you have technical questions that might seem silly (which one is my c drive?) you can rest assured many of us at one point asked the same questions so we'll be happy to answer them when you ask. :-D