Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

OSX Lion and TS3 - Patch released, fixes graphics issue, causes problems with Town Life, GURUS?

Comments

• Options
    MunchinKayT123MunchinKayT123 Posts: 101
    edited July 2011
    I highly doubt they will actually fix it anytime soon. Its the fact that one website says it isn't compatible and an EA representative says it isn't. I don't know which one is right. EA knew about the problem way before Lion was released yet did nothing so whats to say they will do anything now?
  • Options
    YingerpoofYingerpoof Posts: 38
    edited July 2011
    Well, sorry Sims, I'll take Lion over you. Congratulations EA on losing thousands of customers. :wink:
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Apparently it isn't NVIDIA or EA's fault. It's Apple's

Transcript of chat I had with NVIDIA:

Sanjib: Hi, my name is Sanjib. How may I help you?
    Katy Humphrey: Hi. I was wondering if NVIDIA were planning to update their drivers as my graphics card is no longer supported by the new MAC OS X
    Sanjib: Which graphics card are you using?
    Katy Humphrey: 320m
    Sanjib: Please be informed that the drivers for Apple computer with NVIDIA geforce chipset are developed by Apple, As you are using the New MAC OS the drivers will be updated soon
    Katy Humphrey: Is there an ETA for when the drivers will be updated
    Sanjib: I am not sure of that, you need to contact Apple regarding that information.
    Katy Humphrey: So once these drivers are updated Sims 3 should work on Lion
    Sanjib: Yes, it should run fine.
    Katy Humphrey: Are NVIDIA working on this issue?
    Sanjib: Yes, we are currently working on this issue
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited July 2011
    Ever feel like you're running in circles?

If Apple need to update them fine. But why have EA suddenly stopped support for one card and never supported the other?

When did Generations come out, beginning of June? So EA would happily sell you that EP, knowing, by their own admission in Live Chat, that it would suddenly stop working if you upgraded to Lion and had one of the problematic graphics cards in July when Lion was released.

Let's not forget that on the Town Life DVD box it says it will work on Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.7. OR HIGHER. Nowhere does it say that Lion users may have problems.

False advertising at it's best.

EDIT - Forgot to add, according to rumours, Apple will be releasing 10.7.2 soon.....
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    GuitarManiac15GuitarManiac15 Posts: 26 New Member
    edited July 2011
    My transcript with Customer "Service"

Melissa: Hi, my name is Melissa. How may I help you?

2286272811: Hi, can you tell me what EA is doing to fix the issue with the NVIDIA graphics cards and Lion with The Sims 3?

Melissa: Could you please be more specific about the issue?

2286272811: The fact that the game freezes with two different types of graphics cards for anyone running Lion
    2286272811: Both the NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB graphics and the NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB graphics
    2286272811: They both ran perfectly fine with Snow Leopard and I am NOT switching back to it

Melissa: I would suggest you to please post your suggestion and complaints on the game forum as we would not be able to resolve your issue.

2286272811: There is an entire thread dedicated to this issue and no one from EA has said anything about it.

Melissa: Our game developers will surly try to find a fix for this once it comes into their notice.

2286272811: Is it really to much to ask that EA at least makes a statement?!
    2286272811: And they have noticed the issue! There other peoples copies of these conversations on the forum!

Melissa: I’ll forward the matter for further review. One of our Senior Support staff members will review the matter and get back to you, via e-mail, within 24-48 hours. Meanwhile, we thank you for your continued patience.
  • Options
    YingerpoofYingerpoof Posts: 38
    edited July 2011
    I like how I talked to Customer Service three times and each time I sent them the link to this thread and told them to forward it to their superiors yet apparently they still haven't become aware of this...
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I got exactly the same response as you. EA have shockingly bad customer service. There is also a thread about this on Apple's site. I just hope SOMEONE resolves this issue soon otherwise Lion for Sims users is a waste of money
  • Options
    Zarah888Zarah888 Posts: 329
    edited July 2011
    8wl00w.jpg

↑That is one sick joke, EA. Beloved. Right.↑

Freaking $200 worth of games, and I was SOOO looking forward to Pets, for it to end up like this?! I hope that the customer support people at ALL THREE COMPANIES, NONE of which gave any of you straight answers, are actually going to get this problem fixed (hopefully come October...) or that someone in the community comes up with a fix other than ditching Lion. I'm thinking of just hooking up another drive and booting Snow Leopard from there just for Sims, but one computer game is hardly worth an entire other hard drive. Aaaah.

Other than EA's obvious incompetence, which has, of course, been stressed by everyone in this thread, thanks to @BluebellFlora for doing this! It's nice to know that, even when EA's heads are up their behinds, we can count on our fellow Simmers. :D
  • Options
    mzriskalotmzriskalot Posts: 35
    edited July 2011
    Reading all those responses, its like ooohh we could be finally getting somewhere here... but then nothing. Hopefully they are all working on it, and yes it does take time but it would of been nice if they informed us that there could be issues with certain Graphics cards, then at least we would know.

We should all join up together on FB and start a group campaign on this. Get people involved who might not know about this forum or thread.

Just an idea :lol::lol:

xxx
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    It isn't just people on this site that are logging problems. People are writing on Apple's forums about the same problem. NVIDIA were the most helpful tbh. Hopefully someone will give us a fix soon
  • Options
    mzriskalotmzriskalot Posts: 35
    edited July 2011
    It isn't just people on this site that are logging problems. People are writing on Apple's forums about the same problem. NVIDIA were the most helpful tbh. Hopefully someone will give us a fix soon

Could you post the link to the forum please :) Be good to have a look xx
  • Options
    nghtstrnghtstr Posts: 52 Member
    edited July 2011
    Added you nghstr - thank you :)

I don't have the natural scrolling enabled, I think it's taking the whole IOS to OSX integration thing too far!

It has taken a bit to get used to, but it actually does feel more natural. Yes, it is a pull from iOS, but I honestly think that it feels better. That is just my opinion, of course. :D
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    nghtstr wrote:
    Added you nghstr - thank you :)

I don't have the natural scrolling enabled, I think it's taking the whole IOS to OSX integration thing too far!

It has taken a bit to get used to, but it actually does feel more natural. Yes, it is a pull from iOS, but I honestly think that it feels better. That is just my opinion, of course. :D

I agree. It felt really weird for the first day or so, but after a while it definitely catches on. I had to fix my brother's Windows laptop yesterday and almost broke it further because I wasn't used to "normal" scrolling :lol:
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    mzriskalot wrote:

Could you post the link to the forum please :) Be good to have a look xx

Linky: https://discussions.apple.com/message/15693875#15693875
  • Options
    schenckerschencker Posts: 50
    edited July 2011
    Okay, so who is supposed to be coming out with the update? I read somewhere that Nvidia was supposed to come out with the update, so I checked with their customer support, and was told that they don't come out with any drivers or patches for Mac, and that Apple is the one who releases all the updates. So I called Apple, and was told that they are currently working very hard to release many new updates for various problems regarding Lion, and to wait patiently for new updates (not to say that Lion has a lot of problems, because aside from TS3, I like it and haven't had any problems). But haven't Gurus said that they're currently working on an update from EA? I'm sorry, I'm really confused, where should I be looking for an update? From Apple or EA?
  • Options
    slly030slly030 Posts: 70 Member
    edited July 2011
    MAC OS X
    Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac9,1
    VERSION 10.6.8
    PROCESSOR 2.66 GHZ INTEL CORE 2 DUO
    MEMORY: 4 GB 1067 MHZ DDR3

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I think it would be safe to say that Apple will come out with a fix months before EA will, and that Apple's fix will probably work first time. If indeed it is up to Apple to fix it.

I'm sure that now we are talking about a fix from Apple, EA will decide that that's their scapegoat and not make any effort to help at all.....

I still wish a Guru would post some kind of helpful response on here?
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    slly030 wrote:
    MAC OS X
    VERSION 10.6.8

I'm assuming yours isn't working slly030?
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I think it would be safe to say that Apple will come out with a fix months before EA will, and that Apple's fix will probably work first time. If indeed it is up to Apple to fix it.

I'm sure that now we are talking about a fix from Apple, EA will decide that that's their scapegoat and not make any effort to help at all.....

I still wish a Guru would post some kind of helpful response on here?

You know what, I work for a software company, and this kind of silence from a rep would get them fired. This level of incompentence is completely rediculous.
  • Options
    Pcd1love2uPcd1love2u Posts: 913 Member
    edited July 2011
    I miss the sims on my mac :cry: I tried installing the game on my laptop and turns out the game crashes everytime i load a town... i guess the laptop didn't meet the requirements :oops:
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    slly030 wrote:
    MAC OS X
    VERSION 10.6.8

I'm assuming yours isn't working slly030?

You assume correctly. :shock:
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    What annoys me is the fact that the graphics card problem was made aware all three companies involved yet not one did anything about it. I just hope one of them fixes it because I want to be able to play Sims Pets when it comes out. I dont see why the older Macs are supported yet the newer ones aren't. surely it should be the other way round?
  • Options
    littlemissleolittlemissleo Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited July 2011
    Okay, here are my specs:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6750M
    VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Now, I am not having problems because I have not installed Lion yet, and am afraid to because I haven't seen anyone with my specs (or graphics card) try it. Do you think it's okay to update? Does anyone know anybody with the newest MBP that was able to update? I want to be able to keep on playing sims.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Okay, here are my specs:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6750M
    VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Now, I am not having problems because I have not installed Lion yet, and am afraid to because I haven't seen anyone with my specs (or graphics card) try it. Do you think it's okay to update? Does anyone know anybody with the newest MBP that was able to update? I want to be able to keep on playing sims.

You should be fine to upgrade. It's a graphics card issue with NVIDIA GeForce 9400M and 320M cards, your Radeon should work fine :)
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    ok...so...this is probably going to sound stupid on my part....but here it goes.

I have an IMAC, so ....just the one screen/all in one......no tower. Is there any way to upgrade my graphics card and if so, would it work? I currently have a NVIDIA 9400. I have plenty of space, as my computer is solely used for the sims and FB..lol I have enough speed and I meet the requirements/minimum by a long shot.... but this stupid graphics card blows. So. again.....is there any hope for me beside waiting for someone to come up with a fix???

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top