Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rumour, is it true?

Comments

• Options
    CuddlyBunCuddlyBun Posts: 6,514 New Member
    edited June 2011
    http://www.techspot.com/news/43659-ea-ceo-were-switching-from-discs-to-digital.html

They will be going digital... eventually. Once that happens I won't be purchasing from EA anymore. Hopefully it won't be for a long while.
  • Options
    KizzyLoveKizzyLove Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited June 2011
    There is if you live in the UK! :wink:

That's what I was thinking! Color is the same way. Isn't it colour over there? Haha my spell checker underlined that in red :lol:
  • Options
    GreatWhiteNorthGreatWhiteNorth Posts: 102 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Colour, Rumour, nieghbour etc

Luckily I married a Brit so there are no missing u's when we chat on msn :P
  • Options
    HARRYwasHEREHARRYwasHERE Posts: 3,298 Member
    edited June 2011
    Zombineola wrote:

Yeah, and it's ignorant to spell it like that.

Last time I checked, our sounded the same as are.

Hm.

Hahaha close minded people :lol:

I really hope this isn't true, I much prefer discs, however this does solve the problem of loosing it.
  • Options
    aleneghan619aleneghan619 Posts: 4,947 Member
    edited June 2011
    Well I prefer the disk version. Having a disk means I can install it as many times as I like.. If my computer fails and I lose everything I still have my disks to reinstall...
    tumblr_inline_movqnq54lT1qz4rgp.gif

• Options
    GreatWhiteNorthGreatWhiteNorth Posts: 102 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Well I prefer the disk version. Having a disk means I can install it as many times as I like.. If my computer fails and I lose everything I still have my disks to reinstall...

Direct2drive, where I get mine, allow for unlimited downloads of purchased games. So there's no problem for replacing a game :)
  • Options
    ebevan91ebevan91 Posts: 81
    edited June 2011
    I prefer digital over Disc, I always have a copy nice and safe and I don't have to worry about losing my activation code or a disc getting scratched, so I'm for it.XD

That depends, from what I've read on the EADM, there are time limits for digital copies.. yeah, you have it at hand.. for a year, two if you pay extra.

I think that's inaccurate.

I've had Battlefield 2142 on EA DM for 4 and a half years, and I just downloaded it the other day with no probs at all.
  • Options
    starfire1997starfire1997 Posts: 3,238 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Ya I prefer the disk then digital. The fun for me is going to the store the first day it comes out then be all excited going home, can't wait to install it. I don't know if I would actually want to buy digital download.
  • Options
    StarbucaneerStarbucaneer Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited June 2011
    RUMOUR is the correct spelling of the English word I should know I am English LOL

Rumor is not.

Rumour : a story spread among a number of people which is unconfirmed or may be false.

Unfortunately the change to digital only is not a RUMOUR and was confirmed by EA's CEO Strauss Zelnick.

I only hope it doesn't happen before the final EP of Sims3. If Sims4 is only digital I will not buy it. I will stick with Sims3 :thumbup:
    Simming since the beginning! :)
  • Options
    brunettesimgirlbrunettesimgirl Posts: 6,370 Member
    edited June 2011
    Zombineola wrote:

Hm.

Way to be open-minded! It's not incorrect, nor ignorant.

Anyway, yes it's true that EA is going digital, but I really doubt they would do it in the middle of the current series. As someone already said, it'll be a while (I heard they will start doing it with Sims 4--if there is even a sims 4 to do it with...).
    eOI9EQ4.gif
  • Options
    sirona66sirona66 Posts: 5,196 Member
    edited June 2011
    don't know for sure how true, but heard this also. Then i heard or read, not sure which, that several company's were planning this in the future. I guess if they do something like this it would be well known well ahead of time, and also slowly integrated into the games. Right now though i would not worry about it.
  • Options
    airotciv54airotciv54 Posts: 459 Member
    edited June 2011
    What I heard was that as of January 1st 2012 all EA games, will only be offered as downloads. Sorry can't find the link. I hope this is not true, but then I ordered the hard copy of the Sims Generation and got the download copy. I guess I was not the only one. I have such a hard time with not having a disk, just doesn't work for me.
  • Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    edited June 2011
    I prefer hard copy as opposed to digital download;
    maybe it's the fact of actually holding a copy.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    KoumoriDiruKoumoriDiru Posts: 6,681 Member
    edited June 2011
    On topic: I hope not. If they do I'm not buying any more Sims games.
    tumblr_nvbyvezH0b1uvyu9yo8_r1_400.gif
  • Options
    nicolebrittanyynicolebrittanyy Posts: 6,513 Member
    edited June 2011
    I freaking hope not! I can't stand digital copies! It takes forever to download because my internet is not highspeed.
  • Options
    nicolebrittanyynicolebrittanyy Posts: 6,513 Member
    edited June 2011
    Zombineola wrote:
    There's no U in rumor.
    Zombineola wrote:

Hm.

Hm. We spell it like "rumour" here in Canada as well. Not everyone is from the US. It's funny, because you mention the word "ignorant" :lol: Ahh... that was great.
  • Options
    DocsprockDocsprock Posts: 3,869 Member
    edited June 2011
    I like to look over at my shelf at all the game boxes. Sometimes I dont know what to play, so I will look at the boxes and see if something catches my eye.

The best of both worlds to me, would be to purchase the disk, install, and not have to use it to play.

I still have boxes of floppy disks, manuals, and packaging from the 1980's.
  • Options
    mikiiskoolmikiiskool Posts: 415
    edited June 2011
    Zombineola wrote:
    There's no U in rumor.

....except that U right next to the R..... :roll:
  • Options
    JohnnywrJohnnywr Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited June 2011
    Docsprock wrote:
    I like to look over at my shelf at all the game boxes. Sometimes I dont know what to play, so I will look at the boxes and see if something catches my eye.

The best of both worlds to me, would be to purchase the disk, install, and not have to use it to play.

I still have boxes of floppy disks, manuals, and packaging from the 1980's.
    Hi Doc, I`m just the same. I keep stuff that I know I should throw out, but I somehow retain a great affection for all this "stuff".
    I much prefer the boxed disc to a digital download. It kind of seems like I don`t really own the game if I don`t have the disc and the box to look at.
  • Options
    zembeezembee Posts: 116 Member
    edited June 2011
    I believe all software will only be available as a digital download in the future. I prefer disc (or is it disk) so I can re-install even when the company goes out of business or doesn't make that release any more. If its a download, is should be in a iso form or a form that you can re-install without the need of a re-download. I wonder how many people that have the Window OS install CD that came with their new computer and btw, the next release of OS-X will only be available through the on-line App store.
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    edited June 2011
    Zombineola wrote:

Hm.

That is one of the most inconsiderate and offensive things I have ever read or heard in my entire life. Calling somebody ignorant because their dialect of English spells something differently. I'm Canadian and although I prefer the American spellings of most words, rumor being one of them....Either way is perfectly acceptable, and I would never ever judge anybody for spelling it either way. We are taught to spell the British way.

Oh and "English" "England" Notice any similarities....think there might be a reason for that....English is from that part of the world. Not from the united states. So perhaps if anybody is spelling anything wrong in is the Americans, changing the language that originates elsewhere. I personally don't think there is anything wrong with how Americans spell, but maybe before calling someone ignorant because of their dialect of a language and how they spell because of it...you should think, and have facts.

Oh and last I checked there were many words in the English language that have the same spelling but are pronounced different, and that different spellings but sound the same. Just because "our" sounds like "are"...doesn't mean a dang thing. The pronunciation can be changed by other letters before, or by a different meaning of the word. That is a pathetic excuse to call somebody ignorant. "Bought" and "enough" both have "ough" and the "ough" is pronounced differently.

Ugh..... Sorry long rant but, that just ticked me off, how rude.

Edit: Gosh I can't type today.
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    edited June 2011
    Anyway, on-topic, EA is planning on going all digital in the future, but I don't know how soon that is. I'm not thrilled by the idea, but I guess that's the direction the whole world is going.
  • Options
    sims3loverandfansims3loverandfan Posts: 12 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Everything is digital now and days! Hehe :)
    I personally rather have it here in front of me, than just some kind of download. What if something goes terribly wrong and somehow my I lost my code... I NEVER feel like going through hours customer support.
    Hopefully they won't. After LEvans102071 said that about the fees, it makes sense. More cha-ching for EA :evil:
  • Options
    GreatBigSeaGreatBigSea Posts: 1,378 Member
    edited June 2011
    Ha- posted this right before I saw the psot saying let's not argue about spelling! lol
  • Options
    GreatBigSeaGreatBigSea Posts: 1,378 Member
    edited June 2011
    dreamerz13 wrote:
    Zombineola wrote:

Hm.

That is one of the most inconsiderate and offensive things I have ever read or heard in my entire life. Calling somebody ignorant because their dialect of English spells something differently. I'm Canadian and although I prefer the American spellings of most words, rumor being one of them....Either way is perfectly acceptable, and I would never ever judge anybody for spelling it either way. We are taught to spell the British way.

Oh and "English" "England" Notice any similarities....think there might be a reason for that....English is from that part of the world. Not from the united states. So perhaps if anybody is spelling anything wrong in is the Americans, changing the language that originates elsewhere. I personally don't think there is anything wrong with how Americans spell, but maybe before calling someone ignorant because of their dialect of a language and how they spell because of it...you should think, and have facts.

Oh and last I checked there were many words in the English language that have the same spelling but are pronounced different, and that different spellings but sound the same. Just because "our" sounds like "are"...doesn't mean a dang thing. The pronunciation can be changed by other letters before, or by a different meaning of the word. That is a pathetic excuse to call somebody ignorant. "Bought" and "enough" both have "ough" and the "ough" is pronounced differently.

Ugh..... Sorry long rant but, that just ticked me off, how rude.

Edit: Gosh I can't type today.

^^ This! It's called a 🐸🐸🐸🐸. Look it up. Americans messed around with everything to be special. They refuse to go metric, or spell words with u's. Saying "z" is fine cuz otherwise the alphabet song would be too hipster for me without the rhyme.