May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Apocalypse Challenge! Adapted for The Sims 3!

Comments

• Options
    ScarletBaconScarletBacon Posts: 11 New Member
    edited April 2010
    Interesting...it almost seems not worth it to vacation, at least not while the journalism restriction is still in place. After that, it's like a fun break from the challenge. Nice.
  • Options
    Ashleigh825Ashleigh825 Posts: 1,102 Member
    edited May 2010
    Yep, in order to truly have a normal, fun vacation, you need to lift the Military, Journalism, and Professional Sports restrictions, at least. If you want to keep the relics when you get back, you need to lift the Evil (Criminal) restriction as well.

So really it's kind of a nice little reward for getting so far into the challenge. ;)
  • Options
    WickedKnightWickedKnight Posts: 189 New Member
    edited May 2010
    Rflong

Will your mesa valley be made available again as it looks awesome! (I refer to the original version without the greenery - purely because I loved that 'mad max' feel)

• Options
    CeeejCeeej Posts: 5 New Member
    edited May 2010
    First, thanks Ashleigh for all of your work, thanks Pinstar for the orginal. I played the original with S2 and was lifting my very last restriction when a bolt of lightening hit, started a fire and my family - one at a time - ran out to panic and died. Killed my entire family, so close yet failed. I am excited to try again, been working for a little while.

Quick question on the rules. Comforting child one. I had my child master painting level 6 while still a child, thinking I would have that restriction lifted. However, when I was reflecting, I thought about the story line behind the comforting child. I didn't have an elder at the time, only my adult founder and her spouse (mailman I dragged into my house kicking and screaming - they barely tolerated each other - but desperate times....) So, I decided to call it not lifted as a child really didn't comfort a senior. Now my hostage mailman spouse forcably converted to medicine is elder and level 9 (10 body thank goodness) and I am hoping that he just shows up to work one more time or two to lift the restriction. Kinda makes the game a bit more fun, but maybe a clarfication on the scenario :)

Back to my family.....thank goodness S3 doesn't have lightning!
  • Options
    turtlelover2009turtlelover2009 Posts: 387 New Member
    edited May 2010
    - Houses MUST be built on pillars. Decks and foundation are too accessible by criminals, posing a threat to your Sims' safety and the ground is not stable enough to support walls. (You may still have objects on the ground within the 8x8 area, but walls may not be placed on the ground level)

I don't quite understand this rule, since I can't find pillars. :oops: Help please?
  • Options
    AiweAiwe Posts: 89 New Member
    edited May 2010
    I so don't need another challenge right now, but this just looks too much fun, am planning on having my founder be evil and go for clearing that restriction first, does that sound kind of insane?

The only thing putting me off starting immediately is the building a world restriction... so I may just ignore that one quietly... or just use edit town to make anywhere I'm going to take pictures look as barren as possible
  • Options
    drewwashere941drewwashere941 Posts: 61 New Member
    edited May 2010
    @Ashleigh825: This challenge kind of got me inspired to create my own challenge where Sims must survive the apocalypse as well. The main difference is that the challenge gets harder over time, for example week 1 might have 4 problems but week 3 could introduce 10 extra problems. Some of the things would be the same, like in order to solve a problem, you would have to finish a career branch or skill. I would also include some of the problems listed here (giving you/pinstar credit for the ideas). The challenge would mainly consist of many of my own ideas for problems, like isolation, and no sunlight. Please let me know if it is ok for me to post my challenge when it's done.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Sounds interesting Drew, do you mean there would be more restrictions as time went on instead of less? because a challenge that gets harder rather than easier would make an interesting change (I love the start of legacies when it's a real challenge to keep the founder happy, fed, etc, but find myself getting bored by generation three or four when the family is rich enough to afford anything they could possibly want).

Anyway, I managed to download the mesa valley world (much thanks to the creator for that), spent a little while in edit town removing all the houses and replacing them with apocalypse bunkers and taking out all community lots apart from the graveyard and the buildings for full time jobs and got started (there's still a few trees between lots actually, but when I come to write the story I will be explaining that they are fake plastic ones put there by a corrupt government conspiracy to prevent people noticing that the trees were dieing thanks to pollution / radiation / horrible secret experiments).

So I'm now one promotion away from clearing the evil restriction (thank goodness, replacing everything every week is a pain) and my founder has a trophy wife (she was a papergirl when they met) and three little mini spawns of evil (the first one of which was born with the good trait... much to my amusement) and despite not having lifted medical I'm finding that it's perfectly possible to keep my sims tolerably clean (hygiene bar full enough for them not to get negative moodlets), and in contrast to what a couple of other people have said I'm finding 'Dirt Defiant' to be a godsend, I think it's a question of playing style, so to help other people decide whether to invest the lth in it, this is what it does (to the best of my knowledge)

Dirt Defiant reduces the speed at which a sims hygiene bar ticks down over time, that is, the effect of a single 'wash hands' (usually enough to undo one hours worth of hygiene decay... check this during the 'grungy' moodlet if you want confirmation) lasts four times as long (I think). Dirt Defiant does NOT (as far as I'm aware) change the speed at which hygiene is actively dropped by actions such as exercising (except w/o breaking a sweat, obviously), cleaning items (and the sink needs cleaning every half dozen or so hand washes it seems... which would be why I upgrade mine to self cleaning... every week) or using the toilet (and presumably gardening, but I'm not yet able to test that).

Hope that's helpful to some people.

Edit: @turtlelover the game calls them columns, on the build mode picture they're over to the left of the bit that looks like a house.
  • Options
    drewwashere941drewwashere941 Posts: 61 New Member
    edited May 2010
    Aiwe wrote:
    Sounds interesting Drew, do you mean there would be more restrictions as time went on instead of less? because a challenge that gets harder rather than easier would make an interesting change (I love the start of legacies when it's a real challenge to keep the founder happy, fed, etc, but find myself getting bored by generation three or four when the family is rich enough to afford anything they could possibly want).

That's exactly what I mean, the game would start off kind of easy, similar to the legacy challenge. But more problems and twists would arise as the challenge progresses. For example, I plan on including a part where your town gets nuked in an attempt to stop the zombies and as a result of this, you have to destroy your current house, due to the blast.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I like the sound of that, might have to give it a try when you get it done (would have posted to say that days ago, but I've been having problems getting on the forum).

I've been thinking as I've been playing that it would be interesting to do a kind of refugee camp scenario where you've fled from... war, a flood, whatever and have to start, not just from having practically no stuff but from having no buildings on the map, and slowly build up the town as the challenge progresses...

Also slobs are really useful, they're effectively one less mouth to feed.
  • Options
    turtlelover2009turtlelover2009 Posts: 387 New Member
    edited May 2010
    Oh thank you very much @Aiwe for the awnser. Good luck with your challenge, it sounds exciting! :D
  • Options
    eathomeeathome Posts: 569 New Member
    edited May 2010
    I know im probably sounding stupid for asking but i have 2 questions:
    1: whats a power browker?
    2: whats a mod?
    i know, im probably just clueless but no one has ever said what they are :oops: :XD:
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    eathome wrote:
    I know im probably sounding stupid for asking but i have 2 questions:
    1: whats a power browker?
    2: whats a mod?
    i know, im probably just clueless but no one has ever said what they are :oops: :XD:

Power Broker is the level 10 job in the Business career (easy to forget because the related life time wish is to become CEO which is the level 9 job).

A mod is a piece off software made to modify a game (mod is short for modification I think), they're made by people other than the game's manufacturers to alter the game play experience in some way, some people like to tweak the game in all sorts of ways, other people prefer not to add yet another potential source of bugs, it's a personal choice thing. It's mentioned because there are some mods that would make this challenge, or any other for that matter, a lot easier.
  • Options
    fireflier75fireflier75 Posts: 99 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Hey all sorry its been a while.
    Have the next chapter up for the Kinjou trials.

http://fireflier75.wordpress.com/2010/06/15/kinjou-trial-4-1-breaking-into-romance/
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    oh my gawd!! i was on this form a few days ago and there were 9 pages, now theres 31! :shock:
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Aerri wrote:
    I dunno, in a world where zombies roam the streets and money has no value and no one is interested in culture and the restaurants and library and everything is is closed down, there are still classes being held? There's still school and jobs, so I guess it's plausible, but I assumed that classes not being mentioned in the rules was an omission, not on purpose. If you can do classes, that certainly makes things a little easier.
    this reminds me of the book life as we knew it i dont remember who wrote it but its in the pfe section. the reason there are classes, jobs, and school is because people are trying to get past it and move on. nobody wants to go down as the generation that didnt try.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    you are not allowed to do the classes for skills, Asleigh mentions it in a latrer post not sure what page.
  • Options
    Darkstone1953Darkstone1953 Posts: 31 Member
    edited June 2010
    you are not allowed to do the classes for skills, Asleigh mentions it in a latrer post not sure what page.

If you have Ambitions, I would suppose someone making it to level 10 in the Education career would allow classes for skills.

Anyway, some suggestions for Ambitions additions:

Require level 10 in Ghost Hunter as an addtiional requirement to lift Ghostly Encounters.

Require level 10 in Architectural Designing before expanding houses beyond 8x8.

Require level 10 in Firefighting before allowing smoke detectors or calls to the fire department.

(BTW, sims with the Brave trait always seem to put out fires even before the fire department arrives, so Brave would be a good trait for beginning sims.)

• Options
    simluver1o3simluver1o3 Posts: 10 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Wow. So many rules, yet this challenge intrigues me!
    I think I'll attempt it if I can download a proper wasteland. :)
    I'll try to update on my progress if anyone is interested!!
  • Options
    simluver1o3simluver1o3 Posts: 10 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Aww man!
    I got my sim all the way to level 7 in her career. Then my game crashed and I didnt save ANY of it.

Lesson learned. :(
  • Options
    Ashleigh825Ashleigh825 Posts: 1,102 Member
    edited June 2010
    Aww, I hate when that happens. :(

I've been trying to find a way to include rules for Ambitions but it's difficult to find restrictions for all the careers that haven't already been covered with the base game careers.

I like the idea of getting to the top of the education career to unlock classes.

Inventing would probably be subject to the "one crafted item a day" restriction, so it'd be smart to lift that restriction before attempting the Inventing career.

Obviously, washers and dryers aren't allowed until the Medical career is lifted... and possibly Science, since they're appliances... though I should probably make one hamper necessary so the Sims have to live with dirty clothes everywhere once that one hamper fills until they lift the restrictions about washers and dryers.

What do you guys think?

• Options
    edited June 2010
    Hehe surrounding the sims with dirty laundry. DANG! I already lifted the science and medical restrictions in the kinjou trials. I will definitly have to do a second attempt, hehe once the first one is done.
  • Options
    RubiesandRainbowsRubiesandRainbows Posts: 197 Member
    edited June 2010
    You do know that kids can't raise their athletic skill right? Apart from that, good challenge. I have Pinstar's legacy blog bookmarked.
  • Options
    TheAmazingLeeTheAmazingLee Posts: 140 Member
    edited July 2010
    Haha, I love this challenge.
    Can't wait for ambitions rules...Though I have come up with some of my own just because I'm playing and I don't think it's fair to have ambitions and have no rules for it since I'm just starting.
    Anyways, thanks for bringing it to the sims 3. This is one of my favorite challenges but I never would have attempted to convert it.
  • Options
    Schnookums123113Schnookums123113 Posts: 1 New Member
    edited July 2010
    Well, I was hoping that you could update these rules for amitions. Since there are so many new careers, why not make it even more challenging?