Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Victorian Bay 2.0: it is what it is

Comments

• Options
    shipofsimsshipofsims Posts: 905 Member
    edited February 2010
    Well no other worlds has this problem, but all the other worlds were installed before the patch and this one after. Maybe thats the problem. It was the same with a world I made in CAW, after the patch, I coulnd't edit it anymore.
  • Options
    redsilkSimredsilkSim Posts: 162 Member
    edited February 2010
    Im having the same problem with the save victorian game..i cant play..its all greyed out,i get a messsage saying the hood was made with data that i dont have on my computer anymore.. thats a shame..such a beautiful world that i cant play.. EA needs to fix that problem..you have a really beautilul world Ruthless..
  • Options
    ruthless_kkruthless_kk Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited February 2010
    I think it IS the patch. In the interest of finding out..I went ahead and loaded the last two patches...the ones I had been avoiding installing. Sure enugh..I am having the same exact issue....I cannot save my game and I get the same message.

Here is what I am going to do: I am going to uninstall my WA ep and then reload it and NOT add any patches....that should hopefully take my game back in time enough that all this bad patch stuff doesnt affect things. I will then see if I can gave a game with Vic Bay 2.0. Will let you know what happens....
  • Options
    MarianoPMarianoP Posts: 207 Member
    edited February 2010
    I´m having the exact same problem...
    I believe I might know what happens...
    You shouldn´t uninstall anything, try to INSTALL all the patches (the last one takes a while), and when everything is installed, then open your CAW and re-export Victorian Bay...

Perhaps all this happened ´cause the world was created with no latest patchs installed, and it´s not compatible with the new ones.

If this won´t work, then I really don´t know... :cry:
  • Options
    PahtiraPahtira Posts: 423 New Member
    edited February 2010
    MarianoP wrote:
    You shouldn´t uninstall anything, try to INSTALL all the patches (the last one takes a while), and when everything is installed, then open your CAW and re-export Victorian Bay...

Perhaps all this happened ´cause the world was created with no latest patchs installed, and it´s not compatible with the new ones.

I was thinking the same thing.

I really hope this gets sorted out. I just discovered this world and I really really like it. The houses are amazing. You did an amazing job, Ruthless. I hate that it's not working for me either. It's such a wonderful world. >.<
  • Options
    GillieGillie Posts: 1,708 Member
    edited February 2010
    It's beautiful, Ruthless. I would love to see more screenshots of this world before I download it however. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Moonseeker23Moonseeker23 Posts: 157 New Member
    edited February 2010
    Yay, I'm so glad there's a 2.0 version. Been waiting for this. :D
  • Options
    ShaluaShalua Posts: 453 Member
    edited February 2010
    MarianoP wrote:

But then wouldn't she have to do that with every patch, if your theory is correct? And I know if it was my world there's NO WAY I would go to those lengths to keep the world working. lol!
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited February 2010
    Well, for some reason I did not have any problem. I know people are going to hate me if i keep saying this but I installed this new version yesterday and played the hood all last night with no problem what so ever. For the family I used the Maxis largest family in the library with the mom, dad, the boy and girl child age sims and the girl toddler. I played it the equivalent of 3 sims weeks with absolutely no issues what so ever. Unlike the first version that had all sorts of issues. Granted I had removed the first version right only after one nights use and had downloaded it the day you first released it.

I also did do a Sims 3 folder replacement after removing the first Victorian Bay and 4 other worlds i had tested and discarded as well to clean up my game as I understand you can leave pieces behind of the first hood when you just uninstsll it. Like it leaves the original install in download under my documents. It leaves parts in the dc backup and installed worlds folder as well and they could be conflicting. So what i do so that I do not have to do a complete uninstall/reinstall I just go to my document, electronic arts, and remove the entire Sims 3 folder from there. Then i run a disk clean, defrag and then reboot my system. I start up the game so it regenerated the entire sims 3 folder. Then I install all the worlds I want in the game into this newly regenerated folder. I reinstall my sims 3 store stuff. and that is it for then. I start up the game and allow the cutscene to run to regenerate the files it needs from what I have installed. Then i went to your new world and had it load and it played perfectly.

By reloading the game this way you don't lose any patches or any of the eps or sps just all your save games and if you use CC of course that too will be gone if you used the launcher to install it. But on the other hand it gives you a crisp new format to test stuff out on with no fragmented files or corrupted files on your pc.

Once I was done playing this world for about 4 hours. I quit, and restarted my pc. At this point I copied and pasted all my save files from the sims worlds I was keeping back into the game which is in the installed world folder on my desktop, and then I moved over the world cache files also by copy and paste. Any library stuff you want back into your game are usually best reinstalled also by copy and past from the library folder. But any sims or non ea CC you want back into the game really should be reinstalled anew as these items are sometimes hard to find but if you go to your download folder from that sims folder you took out you will see all those downloads and can just double click and reinstall them.

It does take a while, but actually is faster than a whole reinstall and it keeps you from having to deal with patches as well as your installed data files are never touched.

Hopefully that is understandable and not confusing, but we used to do the same thing in Sims 2 to rid the game of corrupted files when just removing cache files didn't help. Well Sims 3 works even better than sims 2 with this method, you just have more files.

But just do not move over all those files or you'll get the corrupt files back in the game if you do.

Anyway, Ruthless the town works gloriously and I have all the patches, WA and HELS as well. My game version is 3.1.7.004001. So as you can see I have even the very newest patch that EA has out. I do not use third party content, but I do not know if that makes any difference as I do have a tone of store content and a riproaring 22 worlds that I kept not counting the EA worlds.

For me this was a big success. Not a single issue with skilling, car pools, school, or anything else weird like I had with the first version of this hood. Now to earn enough simoleons to buy one of your lovely homes. I moved the family on an empty lot and built them a simple starter house for the testing. I try not to use cheats unless it's an emergency, so they are still living and learning on their simple little two story.

That gives me two for two as tonight I test version 3.0 of Broken heart Island with the same success. So yay, I now have two of my most favorite worlds back in my game and both seem trouble free with all the patches, the ep and sp.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Heather062613Heather062613 Posts: 73 Member
    edited February 2010
    I can't seem to download it...the page won't show.
  • Options
    shipofsimsshipofsims Posts: 905 Member
    edited February 2010
    Well I tested alot of worlds, 3 of them have the save game problem. I tried everything, and nothing works. I am even thinking of buying HEL to see if that would solve the problem. haha.
  • Options
    rad1rad1 Posts: 21 New Member
    edited February 2010
    I normally don't post here but I will make an exception in this case. I downloaded and played this world and all I can say is that you have set a new standard for CAW worlds. I have several worlds that I have created and they all look shabby compared to this one. I think one really needs some experience with the world builder to appreciate what you have accomplished. This is by far the best I have seen.
  • Options
    AlisoxAlisox Posts: 1,640 Member
    edited February 2010
    I love your town! It's so playable and the houses are adorable!
    But...
    I have a big problem with your town, unfortunately. It plays fine until I save my game and go to the main menu or quit and open the game, it won't let me open the saved file. It will be literally greyed out and say something like "Cannot open save file. Perhaps because game was saved with expansion pack data no longer on this machine". Okay, it's nothing like that but that's the gist.

None of my other hoods are behaving this way, and I haven't uninstalled anything, so I don't understand...is anyone else have this happen?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Alisox wrote:
    I love your town! It's so playable and the houses are adorable!
    But...
    I have a big problem with your town, unfortunately. It plays fine until I save my game and go to the main menu or quit and open the game, it won't let me open the saved file. It will be literally greyed out and say something like "Cannot open save file. Perhaps because game was saved with expansion pack data no longer on this machine". Okay, it's nothing like that but that's the gist.

None of my other hoods are behaving this way, and I haven't uninstalled anything, so I don't understand...is anyone else have this happen?

We've actually been discussing this for at least the last page, so read those posts.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    I also did do a Sims 3 folder replacement after removing the first Victorian Bay and 4 other worlds i had tested and discarded as well to clean up my game as I understand you can leave pieces behind of the first hood when you just uninstsll it. Like it leaves the original install in download under my documents. It leaves parts in the dc backup and installed worlds folder as well and they could be conflicting. So what i do so that I do not have to do a complete uninstall/reinstall I just go to my document, electronic arts, and remove the entire Sims 3 folder from there. Then i run a disk clean, defrag and then reboot my system. I start up the game so it regenerated the entire sims 3 folder. Then I install all the worlds I want in the game into this newly regenerated folder. I reinstall my sims 3 store stuff. and that is it for then. I start up the game and allow the cutscene to run to regenerate the files it needs from what I have installed. Then i went to your new world and had it load and it played perfectly.

I decided to try this method, and I did get that new spiffy sims3 folder... but when I tried to test out the world again, I had the same problem as before. I even updated to the latest patch before I did all this. Perhaps I did something wrong, but I read and reread your post, and I highly doubt it.

And I was really hoping this would work... :(
  • Options
    DOLLDRMS1DOLLDRMS1 Posts: 2,955 Member
    edited February 2010
    MarianoP wrote:

I tend to agree with this but wonder if a small change, i.e. add/remove a tree, would also be needed.

The reason I tend to agree with this is because of the following statement made by Pescado in a Maty thread: Also, something weird is going in the latest patch set: While the previous patches had all 3 cores the same, in this latest patch, the Base Core = HELS Core, but the WA core is different and shows a newer timestamp.

I could be all wet but that sounds like a logical explanation to me as to why we can't open a saved game in a WA world done but not installed during the patch process. Sure seems to me that could cause the missing ep data message because the world would have the older core with a different timestamp. I almost feel like I should add "wouldn't it?" to the last sentence. I'm not the most technical person around, lol.

I am disappointed. I had to delete the first VB because of glitches seen in my game, most of which I ran across in the first hour of playing it. I played this new VB for several hours today without any of those problems, only to now find that I can't open the saved game. Alas, I have to uninstall it again but will keep an eye on the thread to try it a third time when the saved game problem gets worked out. I don't fault you for the save problem. It is a beautiful neighborhood, ruthless_kk, you can and should be proud of it.

Edited to add that perhaps in addition to changing something small after full patching that a completely new name might be in order? Just something to try since you have already put so much effort into this.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    Jackque17Jackque17 Posts: 103 New Member
    edited February 2010
    wow, beautiful! Can't wait to play. So excited.
  • Options
    himawara106himawara106 Posts: 70 Member
    edited February 2010
    This is one of my favourite worlds, but as many others I can't play it due to the save error bug.

Is it possible that you apply the latest patches and then re-export the world under a different name?
    I would very much appreciate it - it's so amazing.
  • Options
    Moonseeker23Moonseeker23 Posts: 157 New Member
    edited February 2010
    Yeah I think updating to the newest patches and re-exporting the world would make it work when we try to play a save game.

(Pure Guess) Since we don't really know what info is in the sims3pack it could have like some time stamp in it when we release stuff. So it knows what data it should be looking for or maybe the game does that comparing the time stamp in file to when it last update was. If that makes any sense.

Anyway I can't wait until it's re-exported with the newest patches in it so we can play a save game with it.
  • Options
    Darius28Darius28 Posts: 25
    edited February 2010
    I've been trying to find Victorian Bay 2.0 for the longest time, and when I do I have go through this updat to my game. When I finally get it installed, it nevers shows up to my game. I saw pictures and a map overview, and my game is not like that its the same maybe worst . Where do I go to get the game there or what do I click to to get Victorian Bay in my game because I love her houses
  • Options
    TfbobTfbob Posts: 747 Member
    edited February 2010
    Hi, Ruthless! Now that I have almost recovered from my hard drive disaster :( , I finally got a chance to see version 2.0 and it's great! Thank you for naming a lake after me! It's such an honor- and it's a beautiful lake. It looks very natural. This version of Victorian Bay looks perfect and it seems like you put a lot of work in it. If this site could accept an upload that big, it would surely be a featured city. :D
  • Options
    DOLLDRMS1DOLLDRMS1 Posts: 2,955 Member
    edited February 2010
    Interestingly enough, after uninstalling the world I accidentally reinstalled it, LOL. Sure must want to exist in my game!

There is a problem with 127 Ruthless lot. If you have your sim pick up the paper outside to read, the sim goes to the side patio and then walks down into the ground. When a sim is told to recycle the paper outside, he goes towards the house from that patio and again walks down into the ground.

This was also one of the problems with the first VB. I have since downloaded this house and if the problem existed in VB 2.0 was going to bulldoze the lot and replace it. However, since a save can't be reopened, I didn't try that.

Anyway, I did find something that really does need fixing, if you are going to redo the world with the new patches installed. Not trying to nitpick, I promise!
  • Options
    NukapeiNukapei Posts: 88 New Member
    edited February 2010
    Such a beautiful neighborhood! Really, I love this world -- and you have to understand, I'm very picky about my worlds. I've installed three others so far, and of those four, I've only kept yours. Most worlds don't look anywhere near as good as they do in the screenshots once you get them into your game. Yours looks better. I also want to say how appreciative I am at how many good, quality starter homes you've included. That makes the world playable, from the very beginning.

Just one thing you may want to be aware of: there's a daisy bush floating in midair at 167 Bree Blvd. It might have been intentional, as it looks like it's embedded in one of the trees on that lot. But, unfortunately, as my Sim drove past that lot, the tree didn't show up, but the bush did. Meaning it looked like it was floating in midair.

Also, something you may find amusing: when looking over the town, I immediately recognized a house. It's this little vineyard I downloaded off of MTS. Well, you have to understand, when I downloaded your world I had been going through all the worlds on the list, trying to find at least one I liked, so I had lost track of who did what. So when I saw this little house (which both myself and my sister loved, and I used until I made an "updated" house that was similar but better served my needs) I was immediately furious. Who was this creator, to take Ruthless' brilliant work and just slap it down in the middle of their world?! Then I started looking, and all the houses were created by Ruthless! Well, I'm not that big of an idiot, so I realized something was up. I minimized the game, called this thread up; and, sure enough, you dared to use Ruthless' brilliant work because it was your brilliant worth, you being Ruthless and all. I got a good chuckle over that, and thought you might, too.

At any rate, I'm now using your world even over the EA-created ones. It's such a beautiful world, with a timeless innocence, but not so overdone that it's one big cliche. And I'm happy to report that after only about 24 hours of in-game time, two townie families have already moved in.
  • Options
    ZombieScout13ZombieScout13 Posts: 417 New Member
    edited February 2010
    I think Im gunna cry 0.o

That is possibly THE most magnificent thing I have ever seen.

It really is stunning. It has such an elegant, classy charm to all of it.

The lots, of course, are spectacular.

Community lots are set up amazingly.

I absolutely adore this world. It's my favourite, and so far the only one I have wanted to play.

Im going to go out on a limb and update my game...*dreaded patches dunn dunn DUNN*

If this world works for me I will possibly never leave my room again.

...god, I cannot get over how beautiful it is!

Im in shock haha. You are one of my very favourite Simmers, and this is definitely something you should be proud of ^_^
  • Options
    ZombieScout13ZombieScout13 Posts: 417 New Member
    edited February 2010
    EDIT for my above msg (cant load fast enough -_-')

I cant play your world D=

I dont know why though?!

It says Installation Failed: Please make your software is up to date and try again.

It should work =[

I just patched up and everything...it's all running smoothly.

Darn, darn, darn, darn.