Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims Movie in the Works with Margot Robbie Producing and Kate Herron Directing

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    edited March 25
    Margot Robbie would be perfect as Nancy Landgraab :p
    Great minds think alike :joy:
    I could never in billion years see her as Bella

Nancy was my first thought too but hey
    maybe Mimi Landgraab is even easier match given Mimi kind of looks like Harley Quinn anyway and Margot already did that role so might as well
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    โญ๏ธ AHQ Champion ๐Ÿฆ‡ Vlad Advocate ๐Ÿ‰ Team Dragons
    ๐Ÿก Gallery ๐Ÿ“– Stories ๐ŸŒ World Project ๐Ÿฅ” MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,658 Member
    I wouldnโ€™t expect them to go too deep into all the game lore, since the movie has to appeal to general audiences and not just simmers. They might use sim premades that are really well known throughout the franchise, like the Goths and Landgraabs. Some lore will be necessary, but probably things that are easily explained to a non-simming audience. It would be cool to include a lot of background Easter eggs for simmers, say a walk by with a background sim stuck in a pool without a ladder, sims growing Cowplants, etc. An obvious theme would be the nature of life, existential crises, the existence of a higher power in the Watcher. I can definitely see some parallels with the Barbie Movie, and Hollywood is really leaning into developing movies around known IPโ€™s right now.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I'm very skeptical about the box office, most people don't know that The Sims exist.

It's like comparing Mass Effect or Halo to Star Wars.

I think League of Legend, Minecraft and Fortnite aren't even at the same popularity level as Barbie, G.I. Joe, Transformers and Lego.

70 million Sims 4 players a year ago: https://ir.ea.com/press-releases/press-release-details/2023/The-Sims-4-Becomes-the-Most-Widely-Played-Game-in-the-23-Year-History-of-the-Franchise-With-More-Than-70-Million-Players-Worldwide/default.aspx

Now add the other Sims games: about 200 million copies sold for the franchise, says the Wiki article.

And no, it's not been around for as many decades as the toy franchises you name. It's also got a higher barrier for entry. But it's not unknown, and it's a sandbox - the movie creators can tell almost any story they want in it (likely required to maintain the game rating equivalent, of course). GIven the people involved, too, I think they stand a chance to pull this off, even if it doesn't top the worldwide box office like Barbie did.

EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER โ€” Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    So far, so good, but will it really happen? I remember that waaaay back in the early days of the franchise there was similar talk about a movie being made but it got no further than that. Have reservations on how good an idea it is. Simming is active, a movie - no matter how good - is passive. We tell our own stories, a movie forces us to watch someone else's, one we may well not like.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited March 24
    note:

Vertigo Entertainment is also working on Minecraft movie (April 4, 2025).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minecraft_(film)

I'm very skeptical about the box office, most people don't know that The Sims exist.

I think League of Legend, Minecraft and Fortnite aren't even at the same popularity level as Barbie, G.I. Joe, Transformers and Lego.

70 million Sims 4 players a year ago: https://ir.ea.com/press-releases/press-release-details/2023/The-Sims-4-Becomes-the-Most-Widely-Played-Game-in-the-23-Year-History-of-the-Franchise-With-More-Than-70-Million-Players-Worldwide/default.aspx

Now add the other Sims games: about 200 million copies sold for the franchise, says the Wiki article.

And no, it's not been around for as many decades as the toy franchises you name. It's also got a higher barrier for entry. But it's not unknown, and it's a sandbox - the movie creators can tell almost any story they want in it (likely required to maintain the game rating equivalent, of course). GIven the people involved, too, I think they stand a chance to pull this off, even if it doesn't top the worldwide box office like Barbie did.

In term of scale The Sims franchise is "small" compared to the big franchises.
    Fortnite (2017) : 500 million players
    USA population : 335 millions

Roblox (2006) : 216 million monthly active players
    Minecraft (2011) : 172 million monthly active players
    League of Legends (2009) : 152 million monthly active players
    Apex Legends (2022) : 130 million of players (8 million active monthly players)

The Sims 4 (2014) : 70 million of players (50 thousand monthly active players)
    France population : 68 millions

200 million copies sold only means you own 4 copies if you purchased the 4 games.

Mario and Sonic are also more popular than The Sims.

Mario video game franchise has sold more than 830 million units worldwide,
    Sonic games have shifted more than 1.5 billion units worldwide
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    LeucosiaXLeucosiaX Posts: 1,608 Member
    edited March 24
    While I myself use sandbox play style and have nearly all of the premades not in my main save file, I can't imagine a movie without have these premades in it. It is an open game, but the characters they provide is to not leave you in vaccum. There are endless of the possibilities but there is something of structure provided. Why would they entire leave out how the game was designed?
    The game can be about anything, and the movie can be about anything but why not what was created?

I really feel the characters sims which come with the game are the universal that we all know as simmers. Or unique stories are our own, but I don't know that I care to watch Hollywood studio's version of the game as it would be more authentic with the character's which come in the game. I know there is not enough time for all of them, but I expect to see as many of them as possible, if at least just for short cameos.

I would really expect them to see them break the 4th wall, at some point, with the Matrix kind of story and/or Truman Show vibes . I want to see all the base game houses recreated in a set. I would like some inside simmer humor and I would like at some point.

Art style, I would really the actors to be turned a little more, not 100% more like sims. Like the movie Alita is a perfect exampleEhblKVf.png. It's a hybrid of real video overlayed with computer animation.
    I would love this, and it would help make the actors look a little more like the sims. And then at some point they can come across actors not treated this effect, and note they are using alpha cc. Think that would be hilarious.

• Options

The Sims is really popular. I am sure everyone knows what is even if they don't play.
  • Options
    edited March 24
    I also like this actress who played Alita, Rosa Salazar. If Jenna Ortega, could not play Cassandra Goth, I think she would be good for the part as well.
    xvTmZao.png
  • Options
    EleriEleri Posts: 550 Member
    edited March 24
    I honestly don't see how they could flag this as a sims game without the premades. It would be different if there were open to making it CGI-based. Then they could render characters and settings in a Sims 4 art style and otherwise use whatever plot, characters or styles they want.

With the upcoming Minecraft movie a lot people assume it will be based on survival mode, with the characters fighting off the games iconic monsters. They can't really do that with the Sims, because none of the play styles are specific enough to the Sims. A movie based on family play style would just feel like a family movie. A movie based on romance/relationships game play would feel like a romance. A movie based on careers or hobbies would be an ambition movie (like Social Network or Citizen Kane). The only play style that might feel Sims-specific would be occult game play if they focus on a specific occult-heavy pack and it's locations. It would still surprise me if they chose to focus on the occult play style.

Does any body have alternative ideas for what would go in a Sims movie trailer that would make it feel like the Sims?

-No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
  • Options
    MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    Gotta include the plumbob. Gotta include the more iconic premades, as well as plenty of easter eggs for the people who actually play.

But I kinda hope it doesn't go the route of the main character becoming self aware and breaking into the real world in the end - we've seen that so many times already. Barbie did that. The Truman Show did that. Then also The Matrix comes to mind with the living in a simulation thing, and even Free Guy with the living in a video game thing. Heck, even Wreck-it-Ralph got a bit meta about characters living in video games.

I'd like a Sims movie to set itself at least somewhat apart from that, and not be a total rehash of everything we've already seen in other movies with potentially similar themes. Breaking the fourth wall a little is fine, but let's not overdo it. But let's not make it too normal either - this is THE SIMS. We don't do normal here, vampires are real and so are cowplants. Aliens exist. Let's live a little.

You could take this in many different directions. What genre will it even be? A comedy? Drama? Lighthearted horror? Will it be thoughtful? Or just plain silly? Will it deal with pre-established lore? Which game will it base itself on the most?

I just really hope the people in charge know what they're doing.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • Options
    edited March 24
    The biggest question is : Who will play Grim Reaper :p ?

I can't imagine The Sims without this character.
    Eleri wrote: ยป
    Does any body have alternative ideas for what would go in a Sims movie trailer that would make it feel like the Sims?

A long time ago CollegeHumor did The Sims horror movie trailer.

• Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,401 Member
    edited March 24
    While we're talking about hypothetical castings, I'll add my two cents.

Nancy Landgraab is like 57 in Sims 3. Honestly, someone more mature, mousey, and fastidious like Angela Kinsey from The Office is how I imagine her, not Margot Robbie.
    LwE3NvW.png

For Cassandra Goth, someone like Simone Ashley makes sense.
    gecRA8W.jpeg
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    edited March 26
    I'm afraid The Sims movie could be anything.

It also depends on the point of view : Players (who drown the sims for fun like Lego) vs The sims (Perfect peaceful life like Barbie)
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,401 Member
    I would be disappointed if The Sims movie falls into the trope of "main character becomes self-aware." This has been explored many times through countless films such as The Truman Show, The Matrix, and of course, Barbie.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    EleriEleri Posts: 550 Member
    edited March 26

@LeGardePourpre Lol, after I posted my previous comment I remembered the chaos play style, which has specific elements in the Sims. They would definitely have to be willing to make it a horror movie, though.
    It also depends on the point of view : Players (who drown the sims for fun like Lego) vs The sims (Perfect peaceful life like Barbie)
    The Sims is not perfect and peaceful. There's an entire category of aspirations in-game that involves making people hate you. There are personality traits like Gloomy, Hot-Headed, Mean, etc. While we're on the subject have met my perfect, peaceful friend Greg?
    Sims-4-Werewolves-Greg.jpg

-No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
  • Options
    xoJessixoJessi Posts: 1,859 Member
    edited March 26
    I'd go just for the Sims themed popcorn tub and merch :D
    ~*~ โค๏ธ Will and Holly Sappy Love Story โค๏ธ
  • Options
    edited March 26
    @Eleri

Greg is gentle as a lamb :p

The Sims is half way between Barbie (Everyday life) and Lego (Adventure).
    This movie will try to tell us something about life or just entertain us.

r24pud10.jpg

• Options
    edited March 27
    Eleri wrote: ยป

@LeGardePourpre Lol, after I posted my previous comment I remembered the chaos play style, which has specific elements in the Sims. They would definitely have to be willing to make it a horror movie, though.
    The Sims is not perfect and peaceful. There's an entire category of aspirations in-game that involves making people hate you. There are personality traits like Gloomy, Hot-Headed, Mean, etc. While we're on the subject have met my perfect, peaceful friend Greg?
    Sims-4-Werewolves-Greg.jpg

He's just ken Greg
  • Options
    edited March 27
    maybe its gonna be isekai anime where main character is depressed nerd who gets transported into the sims and gets romantically involved with Bella Goth, Calientes, Eliza Pancakes, Kaylynn Langerak and Judith Ward simultaneously.

Sorry, still working on those early 2000 anime traumas. I'll go to the white bouncy castle to clear my mind of these horrors.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Thinking about it, a Tron/Matrix esqe comedy where some poor fool from our world ends up in The Sims and has to get help from Iconic characters to get home might be kinda fun.

I definately don't want a Sim either becoming self aware or visiting our world. That's too similar to Barbie for my tastes.

Any story that's wholely within the world of The Sims will likely either focus on the Lore - which, let's be honest, only matters to the core Fanbase, rather than the movie going population at large - or be so much of an original story that there's no narrative adventage to setting it within the world of The Sims.
  • Options
    edited March 27
    Tragic Clown could be a threat for both universes (IRL and simulation).

Like Sonic movies, a human and Bella Goth will join their forces to stop him.

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I get rid of all the pre-mades when I start a new game. I have enough of my own since 2014 to fill my houses.
    I got bored with the original Sims so wouldn't be interested in a film built around them.

Of course, unless those original Sims could star in a film where they are annoyed about old friends unexpectedly disappearing with no trace, the new Sims moving in, ruining the neighbourhood, why have the Aliens moved next door scenarios!