Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

In-Game Pulsating Popup Packs Ad: Community Reacts

Comments

• Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited February 29
    So, I played again and this time the button was pulsing and spinning without colors. It honestly is visually hard on the eyes. I personally can't look directly at it. I understand advertising content but this is not the way. Keep it out on the homepage. I do not want to see pack advertisements in the game.

We're all fans of this game which is why we are here but I think the opinion on this issue is unanimous. Most of us will pick up the content that we're excited for so we don't need a flashing shopping cart in our game. This distracts from the joy of play.

If you want to advertise a new pack to players who may not follow the game like us, it might be ok to notify us of new releases and sales briefly in the game dialogue notes on the upper right corner that can be hidden away. I think everyone reads those. You might already do that but just having a quick note that Crystal Creations is out now and available would be the kind of thing you could lightly post at the beginning in that panel of notes. Maybe you all do that already and I just haven't noticed which means that I haven't been irritated but I know about all of the packs that are out.

I don't think anyone wants a buzzing sign to buy packs during gameplay. The people who bought the game for free will probably be tempted by sales if they're going to buy anything.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,348 Member
    Fixed the cart button to correct an issue that was causing it to animate for longer and more frequently than intended.

This is not what we asked for. Please make it not "animate" at all. No flashing. No spinning. No pulsing. Not ever.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    luciusstormluciusstorm Posts: 1,642 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »
    Please consider removing that button. Don't leave us with the choice to either accept that button or quit. Just show mercy and remove it all together.

@83bienchen, I respect your decision.

Personally, I choose a 3rd option. I will continue to play and enjoy the game I have bought and paid for, for as long as I can... but I will not spend any more money on it. I will not update it. I will not buy any new expansions or packs.

That's my protest. As I said, I respect yours.

Fate is a riddle and we choose our own answer. Wyrd Girls
  • Options
    StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,450 Member
    You can add me to the list of those saying NO to the cart button. @EA_Cade PLEASE let your bosses know that many simmers don't want or need an in-game shopping cart. It's very intrusive & ruins the game, not to mention being a health hazard for a great many players even with the reduced pulsing. I personally would probably be ok if EA would put a toggle in Game Options to turn the cart off & on like there is for the Emily help system.

You, meaning EA the company, say you listen to your players but you only *hear* us (like background noise), which is not the same as listening. Reducing the pulsing is a good start but if EA was truly listening they would have had the shopping cart completely removed or the above mentioned toggle put in. Or better yet, never put it in the game in the first place.
  • Options
    KathMHughesKathMHughes Posts: 442 Member
    I'm going to buy the new SP tomorrow. But I'm not buying it throw this button. I'll never click the button. Why would I load my game, buy content, just to close my game and download and install a new pack?

I buy my packs from the Origin and EA app interface without going into the game.

I'm the customer you want to please. I own everything. I buy everything full price. I buy everything at launch. I'll be er use this button and it just irritates me.
  • Options
    Twinkles21Twinkles21 Posts: 9 New Member
    > @EA_Cade said:
    > Patch notes are now up for the emergency patch here.
    > * Fixed the cart button to correct an issue that was causing it to animate for longer and more frequently than intended.

"Longer than intended" ? I'm sorry Cade, but this is not an acceptable fix. It should not exist at all, and therefore should not pulsate at all. If the powers that be want my money for the new pack (which I was seriously going to buy), then a long hard introspective look on whether this shopping cart icon is a hill they're willing to die on.
  • Options
    Katofhyrule12Katofhyrule12 Posts: 717 Member
    edited February 29
    Wow, they put out a fix that reduces but does not fix the problem! I was waiting for the Playstation fix and I had started to get excited. I should have known better. Back to my homework, I guess. I study better when I am angry. I guess the silver lining of all this is a higher GPA.

No pulsing. NONE. Reduced pulsing means a reduced number of headaches and seizures. This is ALMOST funny, but people getting sick is NEVER funny. I guess all the recent "inclusivity" is nothing but marketing. So seizures are not as pretty as hearing aids and skin details? Do I have the "wrong" kind of disability to be trendy?
  • Options
    Katofhyrule12Katofhyrule12 Posts: 717 Member
    Twinkles21 wrote: »

"Longer than intended" ? I'm sorry Cade, but this is not an acceptable fix. It should not exist at all, and therefore should not pulsate at all. If the powers that be want my money for the new pack (which I was seriously going to buy), then a long hard introspective look on whether this shopping cart icon is a hill they're willing to die on.

Any company that is this stubborn about a feature that makes people sick is a company that cannot be trusted. What will a company like this do in the future? What next?

We don't just deserve to have this fixed, we also deserve an apology. This "fix" is a slap in the face!
  • Options
    GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member
    edited February 29
    Wow, they put out a fix that reduces but does not fix the problem! I was waiting for the Playstation fix and I had started to get excited. I should have known better. Back to my homework, I guess. I study better when I am angry. I guess the silver lining of all this is a higher GPA.

No pulsing. NONE. Reduced pulsing means a reduced number of headaches and seizures. This is ALMOST funny, but people getting sick is NEVER funny. I guess all the recent "inclusivity" is nothing but marketing. So seizures are not as pretty as hearing aids and skin details? Do I have the "wrong" kind of disability to be trendy?

*thunderous applause* ^^^ This, all of this! I have ADHD, this makes it near impossible for me to ignore a twinkling light at the top of the screen. Does EA have any idea how distracting and immersion breaking it is to constantly lose focus on your game, because your eyes are too busy darting up to the top of the screen? Not to mention the anxiety attacks this can induce as well. I guess my condition isn't trendy enough to be afforded consideration either. EA and 'inclusivity' is a joke; they only care about inclusivity insofar as it can make them money and the fact that they haven't removed the pulsating/flashing of the light after numerous complaints just proves this to me. Shame on you EA!
    Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• Options
    Devinci35Devinci35 Posts: 1 New Member
    I have no intention of spending another dime on Sims 4 until that shopping cart is gone! I was considering getting a couple of more packs, but not anymore. Looking forward to better games coming out so that I don't need to deal with this kind of garbage. Maybe your time would be better spent fixing all the bugs in the game instead instead of trying to alienate your customers.
  • Options
    Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,422 Member
    edited February 29
    Per the emergency patch notes: Fixed the cart button to correct an issue that was causing it to animate for longer and more frequently than intended.

So the emergency patch does not stop the pulsating light? It still pulsates? There are people with medical conditions that cannot even risk opening this game now. There are multiple posts about this. I don't understand how this emergency patch choice was justified. I don't understand why these players very real and heartfelt concerns are seemingly being brushed aside. What is the argument being used against stopping this pulsing from happening at all, and why is a pulsating shopping cart being given priority over the health and well being of at risk players?

And since it has been brought up, why is the calendar flashing also not being removed? There are multiple posts about this flashing also being problematic for certain individuals. Many of the posts I have seen are by players who identify themselves as being on the autism disorder spectrum. This is a very vulnerable community and one that is deserving of more attention to their voiced concerns.

It is deeply concerning that an advertisement mechanism is seemingly being valued higher than these precious people.
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,348 Member
    If modders whose content I use like @83bienchen and others quit because of this, it just gives me one more reason why I can't update my game (and therefor can't buy new packs). Please just remove this button. There is nothing for you to gain by refusing to do that.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,400 Member
    edited February 29
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,906 Member
    I'm using a mod that removed the icon so I can play without ads in my face. I don't care if it's flashing or stationary all I know is it's very intrusive. I know what packs I have and which ones I don't. And I also know which packs I'm interested in spending my money on. I don't need a cart in my face constantly reminding me.
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,400 Member
    If everyone who is able to uses a mod to disable the button, then The Sims team choosing not to officially remove the button effectively penalizes console players who can't use mods.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    MiataPlayMiataPlay Posts: 6,097 Member
    conoray1 wrote: »
    Seriously? We have ads when we open the game. Maybe worry about fixing gameplay and having decent expansion packs. For Rent is so disappointing.

This! <3
  • Options
    JALJAL Posts: 1,039 Member
    Seriously if modders like @83bienchen quit over this, maybe it's time for EA to rethink their position?

While EA probably hope that the new pack will make players to go "ooh shiny!", forget that they vowed not to buy the pack and get used to the flashing thing (that now only flash sometimes), I seriously hope this will put a substantial dent in sales.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited February 29
    Best of all worlds:

• Relocate Cart button to the home screen

• Remove cart button from live mode, manage worlds etc. that is not the place for it

•Redesign home screen to have no ads like the home screens we had in older sims games (ts1-2) which were vibe

•Now finally there is reason for cart button to exist and its bothering no one with its disco moves!
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    Best of all worlds:

• Remove cart button from live mode, manage worlds etc. that is not the place for it

•Redesign home screen to have no ads like the home screens we had in older sims games (ts1-2) which were vibe

•Now finally there is reason for cart button to exist and its bothering no one with its disco moves!

Isn't there already a cart button of sorts in the home screen? When there are unbought packs they are highlighted and you can click on them to buy them. Not sure why we needed another button in game, especially as we can't buy, install, and play new packs without exiting the game anyway and when we load the game to play we always go through home screen. Maybe, just maybe, players didn't buy those packs, not because they weren't paying attention, but because of other reasons like no money or no interest in them.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Simmingal wrote: »
    Best of all worlds:

Isn't there already a cart button of sorts in the home screen? When there are unbought packs they are highlighted and you can click on them to buy them. Not sure why we needed another button in game, especially as we can't buy, install, and play new packs without exiting the game anyway and when we load the game to play we always go through home screen. Maybe, just maybe, players didn't buy those packs, not because they weren't paying attention, but because of other reasons like no money or no interest in them.

I didn't mean to have additional button I meant to also remove all the ads stuff from home screen and then add cart button on home screen

similar to how it was in say ts1
    435656707.jpg

i mean they wanted button fine I'll give you button but only on home screen remove it from everywhere else 😇
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    flauschtrudflauschtrud Posts: 242 Member
    edited February 29
    Back to my homework, I guess. I study better when I am angry. I guess the silver lining of all this is a higher GPA.

I can relate so much! I was actually better able to concentrate yesterday because of my anger... I just fear it won't be very sustainable in the long run and will just add to anxiety.

Maybe my silver lining is that I can bring up this experience if I will ever again be evaluated for a neurodivergent condition...? It's just a shame... So many people myself included play the game to cope with things like anxiety and overwhelm and EA couldn't care less.

@83bienchen
    I can understand... I often feel so stupid anyway that I support a multi million dollar company with my work for free, but it hasn't been worse than yesterday.

BTW... Since the emergency update my cart button no longer pulses but features a new blinking light that emits light periodically (it wasn't there before, I even checked some creator videos to make sure). Still absolutely inacceptable!

I make gameplay mods! You can find them at CurseForge.
    My first attempt at creating a Sims comic: The Parker-Goth Legacy.
  • Options
    PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    So the numerous DLC advertisements that clutter the main menu when we start the game was obviously not enough? I suppose it was only a matter of time.

Disappointing, but not surprising.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »
    I personally don't think it's acceptable to keep that button at all. It feels wrong on so many levels, even if it's not pulsating at all, even now that there is a mod the get rid of it by SimMatically:
    https://www.patreon.com/posts/99382396?utm_campaign=postshare_fan
    (which is Not compatible with the all famous BetterBuildBuy mod).

The fact alone that it would force people to download an UI-mod that breaks with every relevant patch and thus would constantly remind people of all that negative emotions tied to it is just heartbreaking. I can't.

I have loved this game for so long and supported it with my mods in my own free time, but I'm afraid it has now reached a point where I need to draw a line and quit entirely.

I have put up with removing the reroll whims/wants option and not letting it make a return even though no one wanted that feature a lot of us had used exceedingly to be gone. But this is another level. I just can't.

Please consider removing that button. Don't leave us with the choice to either accept that button or quit. Just show mercy and remove it all together.

Thanks in advance from a 24-year-dedicated-Simmer.

Oh no. You're one of my favourite modders. I don't know how to play without some of your mods. If they are no longer updated, that means I can't update. I hope you won't quit but if you do I'll respect that.
  • Options
    Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    Devinci35 wrote: »
    I have no intention of spending another dime on Sims 4 until that shopping cart is gone! I was considering getting a couple of more packs, but not anymore. Looking forward to better games coming out so that I don't need to deal with this kind of garbage. Maybe your time would be better spent fixing all the bugs in the game instead instead of trying to alienate your customers.

I agree with you 100 percent! I've uninstalled Sims 4 and was originally going to re-install it once I got my new laptop,but now,I have no intentions of re-installing the game or spending any more money on it. My money is going to go towards Disney Dreamlight Valley and Life By You now. Sorry,EA-the shopping cart was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.Why should I give money to a company that doesn't listen to its customers?

Why do you hide inside these walls?