Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do You Play Through Each Life Stage or Age Up Whenever?

Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,141 Member
As i play on long lifespan, i normally like to play through each life stage until i see that sims birthday on the calendar and let sims get enough skills before they age up to the next life stage. Do you play the same as me or do you age sims up whenever?

Do You Play Through Each Life Stage or Age Up Whenever? 113 votes

Play Through Each Life Stage
59%
JaiSeaMstybl95Goth583GalacticGalIcewolfMartinvrudolphaTheSpotted_CSusanaLeotebabajayneelanorbretonhaneulMariefoxprice83BoergeAarg61freindlylolfruitsbasket101loubylouloualanmichael1NinoosimMindofy 67 votes
Age Up Whenever
40%
CK213bshag4lvColorist40lisamwittgazzingirl44simgirl1010cchant86FlashMarkerSavorySageAngelluluBabykittyjadelemonellaFreddyFox1234SelinaKylesCAPTAIN_NXR7cyncieEnkiSchmidtOldeseadoggeSheriSim57LiELF 46 votes

Comments

• Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,121 Member
    Age Up Whenever
    Though if it's my current legacy heir, they do have to meet requirements I set for them first each time.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,270 Member
    Age Up Whenever
    I play with aging off. My sims have remained in a stage anywhere from 6 months to a couple of years. Yeah I'm very attached. 🙂
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,125 Member
    edited November 2023
    Age Up Whenever
    Aging off for everyone always
    I'll age them myself when i want to

it would be total chaos if i let the game do it for me
    so many sims would die before i ever get to playing them
    so many sims would age way too fast for me to write any kind of story

heck Alexander Goth has been child for all these years for a reason :lol:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I've always enjoyed exploring every life stage from birth to death, it makes the life's journey far more meaningful to me.
  • Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member

I never played a Sim through all life stages. My Sims never die and most of them are supernaturals.
    They age up (or down) whenever we feel like it.
    4 of the Boys were aged down from the adult versions of 4 of my favourite Sims.
    Pic below: adult Saiwa, (Jack's Uncle Stefan), Jack and Vlad.
    1eaaf7c7c497c3fb26d30f56cf0e17f03cd57427.jpg
    I think I played adult Jack's kids through the most life stages.
    Baby, child (Nina, the youngest is still a child) (toddlers - let alone infants, hadn't been invented by then ^^') teenager and young adult (only George, the oldest).
    97148e043768028a651d26f992b0c22756a65548.jpg
    All our elders were created as elders or are adopted premades.
    9f37e3eeba15f7023e1d08d348a3d55d8d009bee.jpg
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    I play with aging off. My sims have remained in a stage anywhere from 6 months to a couple of years. Yeah I'm very attached. 🙂

When i looked at my sim self's second born grandson Ryo, his two kids were still infants while all the other great grand kids have aged up and progressed.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,053 Member
    I play on long lifespan so I have enough time to explore my sims' life stages to get a feel for their personality and development. I'll typically age them up after they reach certain long-term goals, which they do throughout their stages: infants need 20 milestones, toddlers need maxed skills, kids need to get all scout badges, teen witches need to learn 3 spells in each category, and young adults usually age up when their kids become teenagers.
    🐲🐲🐲🐲
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
    🐲🐲🐲🐲
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 7,196 Member
    Age Up Whenever
    When I feel like it.. Almost all my sims are occults, and all occults are immortal in my game.
    But yes, regular sims I do age up eventually.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
    My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,360 Member
    it depends. If I'm playing through a specific storyline, I'll play on Long/aging off and age up as I find it apropriate. If I'm just playing whatever the game throws at me, or something where I need time to pass quickly beyond or in synch with my household, I'll play on normal or short and play through the life stages.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,912 Member
    I used to age up whenever, until we got Infants. I have found (or made a correlation, at least) between allowing the newborn to age up naturally that the Infant seems better equipped to learn the steps they must take. Also, with the added days to Toddler, Child and Teens, it already seems as if the time flies by so fast. (And I play on Long, too.)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    MarteziaKingMarteziaKing Posts: 277 Member
    edited November 2023
    Age Up Whenever
    I play with aging off but I also don't age my Sims whenever because I want them to remain the same life stage as I first created them. 🥰
    6bkvqyxctsjq.jpg
    ♥ If you can't be the light in the shadows, be the gem that refracts the light all around ♥
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    I do both, I normally age up close to or on the day in the calendar.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,043 Member
    Age Up Whenever
    Should be an 'other' option. I age up babies to toddlers, toddlers to children, and children to teens as soon as possible as they are more liabilities than assets. Since teens are useful and independent, their aging up depends on story purposes. Have yet to age a YA up to adult in all the many years of TS4. Aging is always off.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 6,065 Member
    What can I say, the life cycle has its own natural timing and that's important to me.

(But, if I'm actively playing more than one family in a save, aging is on "active household only" so that I can fully experience playing all the played families.)
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,189 Member
    Age Up Whenever
    I always age up right away from newborn to babies. ;)
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,506 Member
    It depends.
    For my supersim who does every aspiration I play with aging off

For other saves I play with aging on. I play all lifestages for most sims. The only exception is teens. I usually age up teens early because I have no interest in that particular age group. ( I am still annoyed by the sneaky update that lengthened the teen lifestages without even telling us. I don't like this level of nudging to get us to buy the high school years EP. I wish we could set aging for each lifestage separately.)

Sometimes I age up my sims relatives or friends without playing them in order to keep everyone in sync with my played sims.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,417 Member
    edited November 2023
    Depends. I aim to play through each life stage, but due to switching between normal and long aging and a bug that reseted the aging to the beginning my sim ages are not where they should be for many of my sims. The bug was I think two years back but it really messed up things and I've not played a big rotation a lot so families are still affected by it. I use my own judgement when to age them up in relation to the rest of the family. Less played families in my rotation that I still check in to see just get aged up and not played through.
  • Options
    Does aging up whenever affect things like toddler and infant skills if they are not maxed out before aging?
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,525 Member
    Age Up Whenever
    I play with aging off, so my Sims don't die of natural causes. They can certainly die in other ways, however. >:) (I don't seek to kill them, but if it happens, I usually run with it and play them as a Ghost for a while and possibly bring them back to their mortal coil in some way.)

I manually age up the young ones when I feel like it, as some of my Sims do procreate, but they don't usually age past Adult or Young Adult. I manually create my own Elders, so they still have a decent presence in my game. I've never actually seen a birthday on the calendar.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    SavorySageSavorySage Posts: 72 Member
    Age Up Whenever
    When my sim ages to toddlers I age them up to the next stage. I just don't like the toddler stage.
  • Options
    HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 325 Member
    I voted play through each lifestage, but I'm also totally fine with using a Potion of Youth to play with their age.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,829 Member
    Brd709 wrote: »
    Does aging up whenever affect things like toddler and infant skills if they are not maxed out before aging?

It doesn't break anything if that's what you're asking.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    FreddyFox1234FreddyFox1234 Posts: 568 Member
    Age Up Whenever
    I’ve got ageing set to Long, which is really just to give me a time limit and make sure I do age up my sims and don’t just drift with their lives. But I see that as the maximum time and I don’t wait for them to reach their birthday if I feel the time is right for them to age up and I’ve achieved all I wanted for them at that life stage.
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,132 Member
    I play on a modified normal using MCCC. I prefer to play through each lifestage because it helps me get more attached to my sims.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,736 Member
    Age Up Whenever
    I don’t play lifespans or generations. I guess I’m really playing eras in time and I like to give my game plenty of time to breathe, so I play with aging off and only age up when I want. It creates a bit of an inconsistency if you tie things to the passage of sim seasons, but in my head canon, years in the sim world are much shorter and sims age more slowly than we do, so a lot of years can go by before anyone is actually aged up. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.