Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you make your big houses playable?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member

As already mentioned I also play on an old (Windows 7) PC so it's possible to play without lags in huge houses (without CC and mods, though).
    And the lot I posted is not the only cluttered lot in my save. My builds are all like this, but not all this huge ^^'
    I also want to add that my save is very old. I only have this one save (though with a few backups where I save in rotation) and I started it back in 2014.
    And I have a lot of households I play rotationally.
    I never had to repair the game.
    The castle in the image below even has a little village and I don't have lags.
    All the little houses are full furnished and the Castle also has dungeons.
    cc719d7c2ed02a89d296887bfeee8ea365d621e7.jpg
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    edited October 2023
    @Lenny_Ogg I don't think your OS age is going to matter as much as if your computer has a decent graphics card or CPU (even if the G/CPU is several years old).
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,971 Member
    Location of the big lot plays it's role too.
    I know the lot in question is at Del Sol Valley (based on pic, im not sure) ,
    but if you have huge lot , for example in either forest neighborhood in Henford, where not only walkbys , but also wildlife can cause extra traffic.
    Most of all in fall, when all leaves dropping from zillions of trees.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    CarmineCarmine Posts: 84 Member
    edited October 2023
    I only play huge houses when I'm playing occults who can fast travel :p Performance isn't really a problem for me with big lots, just sheer travel time. Once it took a toddler looking to talk to her dad an hour to get to him!
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    edited October 2023
    I built a castle for my daughter to play on her non-gaming laptop, and decorated sparingly. For the massive lawn, some of the plants were made larger using brackets, with creative use of ground paints to make them look fuller. Inside, things are spaced carefully so that they look like more.

The top floor is empty, but there are plenty of bedrooms so it's not really needed. It was meant to be playable.

Tudor Estate
    00.jpg

She wanted to play another one I'd made that was really heavily decorated. We went through and deleted some plants, some decorations, and we took down any wall decorations on walls that aren't visible during half-up gameplay. Those changes took the lag down from almost unplayable on her old laptop to working fine.

My current family's master bedroom is on the third floor of their house. Mom is a spellcaster, so she transportalates. Dad has mastered wellness, so he teleports!
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,924 Member
    Glad you found a solution @Simmerville :)

I too find that age of the save is a bigger factor than lot size in creating lag.
    All the suggestions of @haneul above are good ones. I've never used CC so far but I hear it can be pretty laggy if the creators weren't careful about efficiency.
  • Options
    ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    If you're playing on an HDD, installing the game on an SSD really helps with lag. Like, a lot. A whole bunch even.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,688 Member
    edited November 2023
    Arzekial wrote: »
    If you're playing on an HDD, installing the game on an SSD really helps with lag. Like, a lot. A whole bunch even.

Thanks, but what is HDD and SSD - Hard Drive Device and Secondary Storing Device ?

BTW, My disk has more than 300 GB available, would it still help?
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options

Thanks, but what is HDD and SSD - Hard Drive Device and Secondary Storing Device ?

@Simmerville Both HDD and SSD are storage drives. SSDs are solid state drives. They are faster and some computers come with both an HDD and an SSD. For those computers, the SSD typically has fewer GB or TB and is where the OS is installed. If your computer has both an SSD and an HDD and the Sims is installed on the HDD, installing it on the SSD may improve performance, but it's likely your Sims game is already installed on an SSD if you have one. So I wouldn't worry about this.
  • Options
    ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    haneul wrote: »

@Simmerville Both HDD and SSD are storage drives. SSDs are solid state drives. They are faster and some computers come with both an HDD and an SSD. For those computers, the SSD typically has fewer GB or TB and is where the OS is installed. If your computer has both an SSD and an HDD and the Sims is installed on the HDD, installing it on the SSD may improve performance, but it's likely your Sims game is already installed on an SSD if you have one. So I wouldn't worry about this.

Not just may. Upgrading from an HDD to an NVMe SSD will improve performance. Depending on the SSD type it can make a huge difference. HDD speeds are up to 150 MB/s. SATA SSDs 500-600 MB/s and NVMe m.2 SSDs up to 7,000 MB/s. I have the latter and my game no longer lags at all. So, I would guess since they are experiencing the lag they more than likely don't have an NVMe SSD. Plenty of comparisons on Youtube to verify.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    haneul wrote: »

Not just may. Upgrading from an HDD to an NVMe SSD will improve performance. Depending on the SSD type it can make a huge difference. HDD speeds are up to 150 MB/s. SATA SSDs 500-600 MB/s and NVMe m.2 SSDs up to 7,000 MB/s. I have the latter and my game no longer lags at all. So, I would guess since they are experiencing the lag they more than likely don't have an NVMe SSD. Plenty of comparisons on Youtube to verify.
    I understand that, but a lot of people play on older non-gaming computers that may have other bottlenecks. Because there's often no 100% guaranteed magic bullet to fixing lag in the Sims (and the game itself is buggy), I am cautious about saying if you just change this one thing, you'll see an improvement, especially if doing that thing would involve spending money. There are too many factors to account for so I just personally and stylistically prefer to use "may" and avoid making strong statements. FTR, I am still playing on my 4-year-old gaming computer with no lag and haven't switched to my new computer (but the old one has a 2080, i9, and NVMe m.2 SSD, so it's fine) - but because of corrupted files or other issues sometimes computers with similar specs or better can lag too. I just don't think hard drive is a main concern unless the drive is almost full, someone has multiple hard drives they can use, or is looking to upgrade or buy a new computer because there's just not much that can be done.