Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you guys feel about Holidays in the Sims?

Β«1
Dayvon64Dayvon64 Posts: 493 Member
(Quick Story Skip For Actual Discussion)
So I was just sitting around at my desk when the thought about celebrating Christmas in the Sims filled me with excitement. I love Christmas because as a kid even when I didn't get much, it felt like literal magic. When I grew up, like almost every adult, I found the magic was gone but recently I realized the magic is still there but I'm just not exposed to it. As a kid you're exposed to so much Christmas related stuff that it's all you ever think about and it gets you excited. The Winter events at school like dances, pre-winter break class parties on the last day, watching the snow fall outside your classroom window. The T.V commercials you see filled with toys, games, and kids being happy. Your favorite T.V shows having their Christmas episodes and seeing reruns of your favorite holiday specials. At the end of the day it's all there just to get you to buy more stuff and what not, but as a kid it just felt like there was this magic in the air.

Now, one of the things I loved to see while watching let's plays is people celebrating Christmas and seeing all the decorations and the story telling surrounding the holidays. It's why I was excited for seasons back when it was coming out, to finally have more family play involving the holidays. Obviously, I'm mostly talking about Christmas, but I do enjoy the aspect of being able to celebrate holidays in general within the games. I feel like the Holiday System was done amazingly, albeit it can feel a bit empty at times. I don't play the Sims that much anymore, but when I used to play I would try and only do holidays around the irl holiday as a way to get into the spirit. Eventually I stopped all together because it was a lot of work. I also noticed that people who play generational based typically don't celebrate their sims holidays every single time because it can feel repetitive which I can understand. I definitely feel like if it was generational for me I wouldn't do it too much because I go all in for holidays like Christmas. I make "Winter Break" Holidays so that the children/teens can be off for the week. I even do Christmas Eve to give the feeling of anticipation. I also make sure to have family dinners that involve close family friends.

So how do you guys feel about holidays in the Sims? Is it something you actively participate in or only sometimes when it fits the story you're telling? Also, for those who play other Sims games, which game do you feel has the best "holiday" gameplay? I know The Sims 4 allows you to have your own traditions and literally shape them how you see fit, but I also know that Sims 3 had festivals that you could participate in with the whole town.
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    Most of the time I like them, unless I am trying to get something else accomplished. I play rotationally, so I usually try to have one of my families with children celebrate Christmas. Valentine’s Day is usually for one of my couples, or a a date. I have them celebrate the 4th of July, Easter and Halloween too. I keep aging off most of the time, but since I have a large rotation, different families can celebrate different years.
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    I usually delete them all and only add one when I want to play it, they were fun at first but got a bit annoying tbh.
    Also there is so much in the calender now, all those events....even without holidays its so full.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,348 Member
    I love the fact that we can edit them, remove them, or make our own holidays. I like making up my own holidays, and I make different holidays with different traditions for different saves. I also use the "travel" tradition to to remind me when I want to have my sims go on vacation.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    DreamingAboutBREADDreamingAboutBREAD Posts: 9 New Member
    I love the fact we have holidays but I do however wish they actually meant more and were more interactive ngl
  • Options
    I love the fact we have holidays but I do however wish they actually meant more and were more interactive ngl

I definitely wish there was more build up to a holiday rather than simmers needing to make any pre-holiday traditions/celebrations into their own holidays. Being able to go see Father Winter and tell him what you want, going shopping, picking out costumes, etc.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited September 2023
    I love celebrating holidays in my game

although I often lack the time during real holidays since I am either spending time with family or too busy with my own made up irl traditions :sweat_smile:

I also really hate consumerism
    and I lowkey have religion phobia
    so I notice those things do sometimes make my irl holidays less magical :sweat_smile:
    like for example I might be like yay xmas i can have some snack i can have fun i can have time with friends and family maybe light a candle or visit the beautiful graveyards

but then I remember people be destroying the planet for some plastic decoration and toy nonsense

and buy you things you don't want and
    get upset with you if you don't buy them useless things and wrap all those useless things in plastic and dead trees

and that once again I will run into trillion ppl on parking lots eager to tell me about their lord and savior and they won't take no for an answer

and the tv and radio will be 24/7 talking about their lord and savior and the other weird cult worship sounding nonsense messages or weird daddy stuff

but yeah sometimes its fun to play some spooky sims around halloween or visit a vlad during xmas or have a witchy new year or easter or midsummer or whatever

just sometimes too much other stuff to do or the irl holiday things ruins my mood
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion πŸ¦‡ Vlad Advocate πŸ‰ Team Dragons
    🏑 Gallery πŸ“– Stories 🌍 World Project πŸ₯” MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I love the holidays, I just wish we were able to edit them based on each individual household. This would allow more freedom to personalize them based on individual household preferences but also based on world and season so if we celebrate winterfest in Sulani we could have a barbecue instead of a grand meal. Would also love more traditions, like give red envelopes for new year, or burn incense.
  • Options
    FreddyFox1234FreddyFox1234 Posts: 509 Member
    I make good use of the holidays in TS4. I play with 4-week-long seasons and I have only one or two main holidays each season so they’re quite spread out and don’t feel like they happen all the time. I make sure there are different traditions for each holiday so the days feel special and distinct from each other. They pretty much reflect holidays in the UK (egg-hunting for Easter, Christmas things for Winterfest, fireworks for Bonfire Night, etc). For me it adds to the sense of seasonality and progression through the year.

I prefer them to the festivals in TS3 - those are good fun, but for my playstyle the holidays in TS4 work better and make more sense for family/friends get-togethers and parties.
  • Options
    lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,023 Member
    I like the holidays, but I edit them. I prefer to keep them simple--usually just three traditions each. That way it's easier to be successful. I can always have my sims celebrate more if they have time. I just don't want to worry about checking tasks off a list. But I do try to make each holiday unique so I'm using a variety of traditions.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    I like the concept of the holiday system and I like to create my own and celebrate them sometimes .

What I really don't like is when I just want to ignore the holiday (but not delete it off the calendar) because my Sims are busy with something else or I'm not playing a household that would celebrate that way... But the whole world is decorating and messing up my screenshots (and tastes) and my Sims end up with long sad moodlets that don't make sense because they were busy catering to their own interests.

I would just like to be able to cancel/end the holidays with no moodlet blast. It's so annoying. Like, my Werewolf isn't going to have a meltdown because she didn't buy a lottery ticket, lol.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    I like the concept of the holiday system and I like to create my own and celebrate them sometimes .

What I really don't like is when I just want to ignore the holiday (but not delete it off the calendar) because my Sims are busy with something else or I'm not playing a household that would celebrate that way... But the whole world is decorating and messing up my screenshots (and tastes) and my Sims end up with long sad moodlets that don't make sense because they were busy catering to their own interests.

I would just like to be able to cancel/end the holidays with no moodlet blast. It's so annoying. Like, my Werewolf isn't going to have a meltdown because she didn't buy a lottery ticket, lol.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I love Seasonal Holidays!
    πŸ¦ƒπŸ§›πŸ»β€β™€οΈπŸ§‘πŸ»β€πŸŽ„πŸŽ‰πŸ’—πŸ€πŸ‡πŸ‘πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
  • Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member
    We don't use the ingame holidays at all.
    They just don't match with our way to play. We play real time and celebrate the festivals in the wheel of the year in our own way.
    This depends on where the Boys live at the time and what their actual storyline is.
    So each holiday is very different and never boring πŸŽ‰
    8b6a5c557ba7b9a2ac5bebf1feb9964579387185.jpg
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game πŸ›Ί A Dramedy 🚢🏼🚢🏻🚢🏽🚢🏽 The Boys πŸ₯‡ Their first year - A Dramedy πŸš€ Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug β˜ƒοΈ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms πŸ›‹ SciFi πŸ‘Ύ creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    I love the holidays in Sims! I always have the major ones on the calendar, and add Christmas Eve and New Year's Day so have the eve and day on both. I love the holidays in real life and wouldn't think about having my sims miss out on them!
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I use holidays a lot in my games. Part of the reason why I haven’t bought the High School expansion. My sims ages slowly so they can be teenagers for 7 to 10 weeks. Having prom taking up a day of the weekend for the family for that long is not fun at all.

I also with that we could save out holidays in some ways in the calendar even if we don’t participate with the current household.

I often make my own holidays that suit my saves. Often giving my sims one day a week extra away from work so that we have time to do other things. Also a nice way to save ideas that you would like to do in your save until later. I put up goals for myself. A holiday with a fish symbol and the text lvl 4. Then I have given my sim a challenge to get to lvl for prior to that date. When I reached the goal I delete the reminder holiday since it is no longer needed.
  • Options
    @SilentKitty you can skip prom
    8cf90d2569084e42489a52e89889acc5cda09a28.jpg
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game πŸ›Ί A Dramedy 🚢🏼🚢🏻🚢🏽🚢🏽 The Boys πŸ₯‡ Their first year - A Dramedy πŸš€ Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug β˜ƒοΈ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms πŸ›‹ SciFi πŸ‘Ύ creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I have lots of holidays. I have four weeks in each season and three out of the four have a holiday of some sort. There are a few small ones like Parent's Day that just have a couple of traditions and no real decorations, and then all the major real world US equivalents (Christmas, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Easter, New Years) and a few that are just about going on vacation or traveling off lot.

I play rotationally, and each rotation my sims age about 2 years, and I envision that I am playing a week of their life during that two year period, so every family doesn't celebrate every holiday every time, just whatever their week happens to be. I usually choose the order I am going to play my families in based at least partly on what holidays they'll be celebrating. I like children in the household for Winterfest and Blossomfest, and older parents for Parents Day, and I try to spread it out so every household gets to every holiday over time.

They dont line up with the real world all that often for me. I do happen to be playing summer right now but I probably won't get to my labor day equivalent by the end of this weekend. Then I'll probably get through all of the fall holidays and maybe even Winterfest before the end of September.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    @SilentKitty you can skip prom
    8cf90d2569084e42489a52e89889acc5cda09a28.jpg

I know that you can choose not to attend prom but can you cancel it and book something else that Saturday?
  • Options
    We don't use the ingame holidays at all.
    They just don't match with our way to play. We play real time and celebrate the festivals in the wheel of the year in our own way.
    This depends on where the Boys live at the time and what their actual storyline is.
    So each holiday is very different and never boring πŸŽ‰
    8b6a5c557ba7b9a2ac5bebf1feb9964579387185.jpg

Omg I love these pictures.
  • Options
    @SilentKitty Since I never use the calendar, I don't know. But aren't there often more festivities at the same day?
    @Dayvon64 Thank you πŸ’

That was when Greg made up that the 'Beltane Cannons' are an ancient tradition πŸ˜…
    719832b9d6cf167938bf31baaa952fb6048ef20b.jpg
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    I love the sims' holidays. I run seasons for 14 days each and seems to be the right length of time to get not more than one holiday per week. I do all the majors but don't have a lot of traditions for each of them.

I used to really decorate up the houses, but then the holidays are over and you have to put up all that decor, even in rl I hate it. :D That's why I only choose 2-3 traditions for each.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,111 Member
    I love holidays, and the fact that you can create your own, with it's own traditions. It's such an awesome feature. :)

I have to say though, I do delete neighbourhood brawl and talk like a pirate day as soon as I see them on the calendar. They make no sense and just annoy me, lol.
  • Options
    BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    I adore holidays! IRL, Christmas is my favorite. I'm not religious, I celebrate it as a celebration of winter, which is my favorite season. So naturally I celebrate it in the game, as well! I love decorating so much IRL and in game! I was so happy when I was able to learn how to do custom content, because then I started being able to do more.

The only problem I have with The Sims 4's take on holidays is that it comes in a checklist format. The Sims 3 is much more limited as in you only have the four holidays, but they fit more naturally into the gameplay, whereas The Sims 4 you have to initiate so much. I want holidays to fit more seamlessly into the game.

I also miss being able to create lots that change with seasons. I await the day when that can happen much more seamlessly as opposed to freezing my The Sims 3 game when the change applies.

In TS4 I have quite a few holidays, most of them are based off of real holidays. I try not to pack the calendar too much because it can turn into more of a chore than a fun variation on some days. Sometimes I struggle to get everything in without it feeling cramped since I play with the shorter 7 day seasons.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I so love seasonal holidays. My favorites are Canadian Thanksgiving, Halloween, Christmas, New Years, My Birthday, Valentines Day,
    my Mom's Birthday, Easter, my Daughter's Birthday, Canadian Mother's Day & Canada Day! <3B):p;)
  • Options
    BariSaxy wrote: Β»
    I also miss being able to create lots that change with seasons. I await the day when that can happen much more seamlessly as opposed to freezing my The Sims 3 game when the change applies.

What I do is saving different versions of my lots in my gallery. It takes only a few seconds to switch.

fce0b12b1699a5e564901878925e835dace46d5f.jpg

022ed3e2b03c2c4497f7dc40545139ff8ca04c92.jpg