Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Where does your sim live?

MrPlumbobMrPlumbob Posts: 332 Member
Hey everyone. Been thinking of doing this poll for a while now. I'm curious where everyone's sims live, and what I mean by that is: where do you get your houses? Do you build them yourself? Download them from the gallery? download a shell and furnish it? Or perhaps something else?

Of course, it's very likely that everyone does a combination of all of these, but I'd encourage you to pick the option that you most prefer, or the one that your main sim family (if you have one) lives in.

Edit: Meant to put a something else box, but I pressed the wrong key. :# Just use the option for the one you mostly prefer, and explain in the comments anything else you do.

Where does your sim live? 112 votes

I prefer furnished houses from the gallery (That I use as is, or edit)
40%
MichelleWbandit5rudolphaJueJueAnnie2008mcruddelanorbretonkokoro80kerryemmiebethsimgirl1010freindlylolNRoweloubylouloulemonellaFreddyFox1234becks1112cyncieLyriejoleacoStarfree 45 votes
I prefer unfurnished "shell" houses from the gallery (that I furnish myself)
11%
SusanaLeotecchant86luthienrisingEnkiSchmidtRebbilinaSAEldarinCamarieSimsKellogg_J_Kelloggamber_ilumireSimDork23amydunnePandoraTOClovesStories 13 votes
I design and build my houses myself (meaning you don't reference a real floor plan)
23%
crocobaurabshag4lvTheSpotted_Chaneulg01denswanNinoosimMindofyLizzychicagoddsims3worldkiwi84Ravager619DaraviLenny_Oggmusteniabelhinha35OceancatGlacierSnownetney52DaWaterRatVanilicious 26 votes
I build houses myself taking inspiration from a real floor plan (Of course, some things can't be replicated in the sims)
19%
GalacticGallisamwittGoodywoodmaggiemae8135Lustianiciahellohannah2LozzomaticTeeSeaSweetieWright_84DoloresGreyOldeseadoggeMDianaSimsSimDestroyerbirdonawireInuMiroLoverLady_BalloraSeashoreLiviasarabeth2984fae_brassJAL 22 votes
I prefer to download houses from other places besides the gallery
2%
Elyssandarielryouma17LJK 3 votes
House? My sim lives in _________ (The ocean, a boat, a treehouse, a tent, a spaceship, another dwelling that's not a house)
2%
SERVERFRAMetior_IceJustMeAlb 3 votes

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Personally, I mostly use furnished gallery houses that I edit for my sims' needs, since I'm not great at building. Though I do sometimes build off of a real floor plan. (Meaning I tried it once.)
  • Options
    StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,450 Member
    I actually do both: download from gallery & build myself (no rl floorplans).
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Starfree wrote: »
    I actually do both: download from gallery & build myself (no rl floorplans).

I really wish there was that "combination of both" or "something else" option I meant to put. I typed this poll on my MacBook, so I'm not as used to the keyboard as I am with my PC. I guess this poll will probably end up inaccurate due to the lack of "something else" option. It won't let me edit the options. At least the comments will be accurate though. Also I'm not sure I'd ever be able to build much more that a box with a roof without a floor plan as a guide.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    I build the houses myself for most part
    I often reference exteriors but I don't reference floor plans since sim interior needs are different from real life

sometimes I use original lot and just edit
    sometimes I find cool lot on gallery and use parts of it to create something different

sometimes my sims just live in tents or community lots being homeless cause i can't be bothered to build them new house
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,858 Member
    None of those options fits me. I'm a mixture of many different things. I download some from the gallery and redecorate them, some I remodel and redecorate. I get some from TSR and do the same, or on rare occasions I use them as is. That's really rare because I'm really fussy about lots. I design and build some of my own lots from scratch and from floor plans I find online. To top it all off I do the remodel/redecorate thing with a quite a few of the Maxis originals.

I'm one of those who's really hard to pin down.😁
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    Other: I tend to use the original homes that come with the game... maybe 75% original, 25% from the gallery... and then heavily edit and refurnish.

I do wish more of the gallery homes came with unfurnished options. If they did, or if there was an easier way to "delete all furnishings" from the world screen, then I would probably use the gallery a lot more often.
  • Options
    @simmingal & @DaniRose2143

And that's why I meant to put that "something else" option. If the poll doesn't get too big, after the replies settle down (say, about a week) I'll total up the number of people who do a combination of everything and post the accurate percentages myself. Maybe. Come to think of it, that might be a lot of math. I'm not a fan of math. Might still do it though.
  • Options
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    Other: I tend to use the original homes that come with the game... maybe 75% original, 25% from the gallery... and then heavily edit and refurnish.

I do wish more of the gallery homes came with unfurnished options. If they did, or if there was an easier way to "delete all furnishings" from the world screen, then I would probably use the gallery a lot more often.

@Amapola76 There should be an option on every gallery lot you download to use either furnished, or unfurnished. (At least, when you place it from build/buy mode) I've never noticed if it's there from the world map though.
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    shells, and building with reference or sometimes none. The plans is to only get better, yet to make any progress on the plan 🥲
  • Options
    manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,111 Member
    I will usually download a furnished house or a shell, and then decorate and furnish more to my taste. I'm terrible at building so I need something to start me off.
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    I build houses myself taking inspiration from a real floor plan (Of course, some things can't be replicated in the sims)
    I have designed my own builds but it helps me to have a visual refefence as well. I use pictures of house exteriors, floor plans, or even clip art and tweak things to work in game.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    I am not a great builder so I tend to just run on the gallery and see what appeals to me.
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    @MrPlumbob you could ask EA,_Cade to close this discussion and start a new one. Those who have already posted could simply copy their response to the new thread.

I can't build from scratch to save my life. I also have no desire to build as it takes away time from my live mode gameplay.

I also only play one family so I'm not too concerned about homes for their friends and relatives. For some those homes I usually download new lots after a pack release. That way I get to enjoy all the new stuff when my sim family visits.

I also download all of my community lots. Sometimes I tweak them but mostly use as is.
  • Options
    NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,898 Member
    My last few homes have been downloaded houses that came beautifully furnished BUT I tend to remove all furniture and then redecorated to the needs of my specific target household and my personal tastes. (eg they come with lovely children’s rooms but the family moving in have no little ones).
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,658 Member
    I am not a good builder, so I go to the gallery and look for the type of house I want my sim to have. I’ll try out a few until I find the one that fits, then I personalize it with some editing and redecorating. If I don’t find what I need, I’ll look for a shell that I can complete.
  • Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member
    I design and build my houses myself (meaning you don't reference a real floor plan)

I wasn't much into building in Sims 1, I had too much fun playing and didn't bother where we lived 🎉
    That changed with Sims 2 and I started to build houses for my Sims (after modifying the ingame builds for a while).
    Sims 3 I still played more than to build. But with Sims 4 it changed. I spent almost 80% of my ingame time building.
    Until a few years ago when I started story telling.
    Usually I build the houses around my Sims and the story.
    Which Sims will live there and why? What will they need there?
    The last two big lots I've built weren't even finished before they moved in. I added and furnished rooms and locations when we needed them 🏗
    1f8551b7548d92d284b5539135d4adc74a4cfb32.jpg
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    It really depends on the sims I am playing.
    - When I do a rags to riches, my sims start with an empty lot and slowly build their house bit by bit.
    - Sometimes I feel like building a complete house, fully furnished.
    - sometimes I want a basic house to start. I prefer houses without furniture or just some basics. The base game houses of foundry cove (willow creek) or parched prospect (oasis springs) come close to what I mean. Some basic starter furniture but free tiles to add additional furniture. And few decorations to easily add own accents. Lately a lot of talented simmers make houses for new packs. They all look good but are a bit too finished and are more difficult to give my own touch. Same for a lot of houses from the gallery. I often look for nice furnitured houses, roughly remember the interior but then place them without furniture to add my own.
  • Options
    FreddyFox1234FreddyFox1234 Posts: 509 Member
    I tend to use the houses already in the game as I mostly play premade families and keep them in their original houses. But if I want a house that isn’t in the game I choose one from the gallery and tweak it as necessary. I’m not a builder (I haven’t improved since my first attempts in TS2) and I prefer to just get on playing my game, rather than try to do something that others can do so much better than me.
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    I am not a very good/patient builder, and tend to make larger families.
    Most Gallery houses keep the size of the family in mind, and can make the house fully furnished with a price of a starter house. I tend to edit some, but for the most part keep everything as is.
    Also, if I do something for a series, like Harry Potter, people have made Hogwarts on the Gallery. I also download stores and malls from the Gallery as well. As well as houseboats, and other types of houses I want my Sims to live in.
  • Options
    TheSpotted_CTheSpotted_C Posts: 293 Member
    I don't reference a floor plan but I do google what kind of exterior I'm going for (modern, country etc) and just use that as a reference when building. My houses aren't like the works of art on the gallery but they are mine and most of the time, I create something satisfying for me and my sims.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited August 2023
    If I'm not renovating EA premade builds, I'm struggling to build my own. I get a lot of inspiration from others. It's been my goal to become a better builder. I've learned so much from looking at how others build and then try to build something similar from scratch. It's a good way to get more comfortable with building.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    I'm such a terrible builder, I have mostly just used the premade houses in the worlds. I've occasionally tinkered with them (usually adding basements and/or sheds), but that's about it. Practice makes perfect, and I'm currently working on making a decent ranch out of the big empty lot in Chestnut Ridge.

For businesses, I have downloaded most of them from the gallery, and I always fill Newcrest up with them as to be a business district for my Sims to shop at. My first designed-by-me business was when I gutted ThrifTea and made it into a hardware/farm and feed for Horse Ranch, as it appears ThrifTea, to begin with, was a repurposed general store.
  • Options
    LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »

When you download them isn't there an option for your sim(s) to buy unfurnished?
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • Options
    LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member
    I build my own things...I don't use references or floor plans (maybe I've used a floor plan 3 times in the past almost 9 years). I just build as I go along. I pretty much ONLY build, very rarely do I play. The packs I've played most have been Island Living, Cottage Living, and...wait, that's it. See, I hardly play!
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    I have a big rotation and it depends on the sim, but what I like most is when I design and build their house :) I also use lot of the maxis houses and edit them, they're my second preference and then a third one is furnished house from the gallery.