Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Horse ranch negative discussion.

Comments

• Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    happyopi wrote: »
    I keep reading that argument about horses having to be their own expansion to be done well but: you can't lead your horse around. You can't enter/exit the competition center riding your horse. The equestrian helmet removes the entire hair so as not to bother with hat chops. Even giving a free pass for bugs that will (presumably) be fixed, everywhere I look I see cut corners.

One more grievance: every single animation is from the left side of the horse.
    How hard was it to mirror the animations for whichever side you approach your horse from to work the same, instead of awkwardly skirting around (in the best case scenario, but in gameplay it's more often straight up walking through) the horse.
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,578 Member
    I overall very much love this pack, but oh my, they have been lazy with the competitions.

TS3 competitions where you could follow the ranks of all of the participants during the competition were much more fun to watch.
    Also it is truely sad that we do have the possibility to make a dog training parcours with various different objects but there is no such thing for horses, nor can you even put more than one of the existing training objects in a row so that they can be used one after another. Watching horse training was much more fun in the Sims 3.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited July 2023
    Gordy wrote: »
    The mini goats and sheep are so tiny and useless I barely notice them tbh.

Some decent Dragon food, maybe, @Gordy?
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »
    Gordy wrote: »
    The mini goats and sheep are so tiny and useless I barely notice them tbh.

Some decent Dragon food, maybe, Gordy?
    They'd be great food for my dragon...

aDJEMdc.png
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »
    I overall very much love this pack, but oh my, they have been lazy with the competitions.

TS3 competitions where you could follow the ranks of all of the participants during the competition were much more fun to watch.
    Also it is truely sad that we do have the possibility to make a dog training parcours with various different objects but there is no such thing for horses, nor can you even put more than one of the existing training objects in a row so that they can be used one after another. Watching horse training was much more fun in the Sims 3.
    Yeah, it's a bit boring watching them go over one jump, turn round and repeat. Or round and round 2 barrels.

Would have been much more fun to build a variety of courses and see them use those.
  • Options
    CiralindeCiralinde Posts: 81 Member
    edited August 2023
    I really like the horses, they look really good. I'm very impressed by it actually. I haven't explored everything yet though. I play sporadically.

A few things that I do miss right now:
    * No horse related club activities. And the activity of "taking care of animals" doesn't apply to horses for some reason.
    * No geneology for the horses. There's no family tree. It's odd if the pack at first seemed to imply horse rearing/training/breeding.
    * Although we can train the horses, we can't seemingly sell them to existing sims.
    * No actual parkour for the horses to train on. It's not as satisfying to see them stop and turn to make the same jump again.
    * No dressage.
    * No ramps for the goats (and chickens). Goats love to climb and they get into all sorts of misschief. I had hoped they would've added a ramp. Prior this pack, I've been using the one from the pets pack in my chicken areas, to pretend there's a little ramp for them to walk on.
    * It appears to me that the mini-sheep were at first meant to be compatible with the pet treats from Cottage living - to give them these unusual colours (pink, red, green etc.). It seems they have discarded this idea? I haven't tested this out yet.
    * I'm not sure how horses appear in the world right now. There are no lot traits to invite people with their horses to come visit, unlike the cats & dogs ones, where you can attract both pet owners to make dogparks and cat-cafés. Or create areas for strays to visit.`
    * And they take their shoes off in the barn, because it's an indoor area :P that's also a bit of a pet-peeve.

I'm quite content with this pack though. I do think that for 40 euros, you'd usually have a full (indie) game and this is a bit bare-bones in comparison. Granted, it is a pack with a vision, unlike HSY. I think HSY has been their worst, most confusing pack as of yet. I really like the western theme, the world is very immersive.

If only they would have tested it with cross-pack compatibility a bit more thoroughly, because these points immediately surface when you begin playing. And if they would have spend a bit more time fleshing various parts out, it would've been a really satisfying addition to the existing game.

Post edited by Ciralinde on
  • Options
    sclevenger08sclevenger08 Posts: 125 Member
    I keep reading that argument about horses having to be their own expansion to be done well but: you can't lead your horse around. You can't enter/exit the competition center riding your horse. The equestrian helmet removes the entire hair so as not to bother with hat chops. Even giving a free pass for bugs that will (presumably) be fixed, everywhere I look I see cut corners.

One more grievance: every single animation is from the left side of the horse.
    How hard was it to mirror the animations for whichever side you approach your horse from to work the same, instead of awkwardly skirting around (in the best case scenario, but in gameplay it's more often straight up walking through) the horse.

This is probably due to it being recommended/required to mount a horse from the left side. So they just built all animations to take place on the left.
  • Options
    PruThistlePruThistle Posts: 97 Member
    It is very buggy. My Sims starve to death while cooking, if there are too many items on the largest lot, you can't mount your horse and the nectar maker doesn't work on some lots.
  • Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    This may be reaching, but I was thinking today after watching FakeGamerGirl's review and like....what if this pack is literally leftovers both from C&D and CL and that is why the pack feels even more empty then most packs, because they had barely any new budget xD This is me half joking, but also a bit serious :#
  • Options
    This is probably due to it being recommended/required to mount a horse from the left side. So they just built all animations to take place on the left.
    Oh I'm sure there are very logical reasons why sims clean the same two hooves over and over, and only brush one side, always the same, but it still gets visually repetitive very fast, faster than other animations in the game I feel like.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    Coconut27 wrote: »
    This may be reaching, but I was thinking today after watching FakeGamerGirl's review and like....what if this pack is literally leftovers both from C&D and CL and that is why the pack feels even more empty then most packs, because they had barely any new budget xD This is me half joking, but also a bit serious :#

I doubt it,except they might have did thought about horses in cottage living.
  • Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    Coconut27 wrote: »

I doubt it,except they might have did thought about horses in cottage living.

From what I’ve heard/read, coding for horses has been found on the game since C&D haha.
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    Lenny_Ogg wrote: »
    There is a little beach in Rider's Glen - unaccessable...
    Sometimes I really think they hate us -.-

5b90a691f7a7a8475bd972056b04735e98e18410.jpg

:D Funny!

:'( But so sad...

:D But funny!
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,402 Member
    No cross-pack compatibility with clubs
    mtwEQek.jpg
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    mtwEQek.jpg

FWIW, I too would rather have "Drink Nectar" as its own separate club activity... however, as you can now purchase nectar at the bar, "Drink Bar Drinks" should now include drinking nectar.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    mtwEQek.jpg

FWIW, I too would rather have "Drink Nectar" as its own separate club activity... however, as you can now purchase nectar at the bar, "Drink Bar Drinks" should now include drinking nectar.

Would have been nice to be able to add the new nectars to the restaurant menu, then we could make a restaurant that has only nectar on it's bar menu and then have sims drink bar drinks there.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Lenny_Ogg wrote: »
    There is a little beach in Rider's Glen - unaccessable...
    Sometimes I really think they hate us -.-

5b90a691f7a7a8475bd972056b04735e98e18410.jpg

Yes, this is a missed opportunity so much can be done with this part.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited August 2023
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    mtwEQek.jpg

Yeah, definitely would like that option as much as they'd update club activities surprised this was another oversight by them.

Would have liked Sims being able to gather at a vineyard for nectar tasting in a group activity. Can't even create the illusion with restaurants since sims can't order it. :disappointed:
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    I'm getting frustrated with the "bad ranch product" embarrassed moodlet for my sims that have the rancher trait. The plants are all on the high end of Excellent or Magnificent quality, I would have thought the moodlet would stop happening by now. How can Excellent or Magnificent be bad? It makes no sense. It's getting annoying every time I have these sims harvest their gardens.
  • Options
    TodilooTodiloo Posts: 110 Member
    As one who loves horses and was ready for the pack to not have much else, aswell as not minding rabbitholes very much, I still feel let down about a few things:
    *not enough mane/forelock styles. Overall both cats and dogs had soo much more customization going on.
    *not enough cas items for horses, I'd loved to have atleast one more bridle for riding (I would have loved both a thypical western and a thypical english) and swap some silly leg warmers to more realistic swatches that match the saddlepads.
    *breedingservices at the horsecenter like we had in sims 3
    *the eyes! They are humongous, and there is something off with them. A lot of colors and markings ain't possible to create since even the lightest blue eye looks black. Also, heterochromia? The dogs eyes where peeerfect.
    *english riding clothes :'( I've found a couple of swatches from old packs that work, but I really think we should have gotten some. Atleast a pair of riding pants. And I've used the male outfit, it wouldn't suprise me if they wanted to make it fit well on female bodytypes aswell but just didn't have the time/resources.
    *more buy items for stables. I thought we would get more.
    *this might be a big thing to do, but I would have loved if there was separate category for riding clothes that they changed into before mounting. The riding helmets everywhere is bugging me, aswell as sims riding i skirts and such x)

Ofcourse I have tons of more nitpicky things to say aswell. However I feel like the points I made here are mostly simple things that should/could be added. I'm under the impression that decor and cas items are relatively quick and easy to make. The eyes I understand can be difficult to create. I still have too much fun creating horse xDD
    Gallery ID: cykelnHH -mostly making realistic horseys
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    Although the list of nectar recipes is nice, I feel like they missed the opportunity to add a few more, or to give some of them a specific benefit. They could have made pomegranate nectar and give it a fertility buff similar to getting a fertility massage at the spa. Or what if one of the berry nectars reduced the length of bad moodlets?

I also feel like we still need a few more plants/trees to harvest. One we haven't had since Sims 2 days was orange trees. Or red peppers. I remember there was a juice machine at that time and our sims could make a concoction that helped them get over being sick. It would be nice if we could do that now, instead of buying medicine from the computer (the juice from the fridge has very short term benefits). We also need wheat and corn.
  • Options
    I have not seen a single screenshot of a sim wearing the riding helmet. I wonder what they thought they were doing by giving us no hat chops on the helmet. Did someone seriously think the gigantic helmet that turns all sims bald would be a hit ?

I also feel like we still need a few more plants/trees to harvest. One we haven't had since Sims 2 days was orange trees. Or red peppers. I remember there was a juice machine at that time and our sims could make a concoction that helped them get over being sick. It would be nice if we could do that now, instead of buying medicine from the computer (the juice from the fridge has very short term benefits). We also need wheat and corn.
    Living off the grid means no quick meal means no orange juice for sick sims, I would love if they implemented your idea !
  • Options
    jolly1995jolly1995 Posts: 27 Member
    I wish horseriding would interact with the "fun"socialbar for my sim, especially if one of the trait is horse lover. Also it could help increase the fitness
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,430 Member
    jolly1995 wrote: »
    I wish horseriding would interact with the "fun"socialbar for my sim, especially if one of the trait is horse lover. Also it could help increase the fitness

Does the pack come with likes/dislikes for horseriding? For some other activities giving a sim the corresponding like, let's them increase fun with that activity. I use this trick all the time for painting and writing.