Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Horse ranch negative discussion.

Comments

• Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,417 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    I think I've been fairly lucky with the cooking/eating glitches. I seem to have a milder version where my sim will fully cook the meal, bring it to the table, sit down... and then just sit there. However, she doesn't get stuck; if I click on the meal again, I can get her to eat it at that point. I just have to be careful about not queuing about additional actions until she finishes eating.

My sim was able to eat leftovers from the fridge without issues, but was unable to eat food (or drink drinks) from the bar. She was able to pack the cold meats platter from the bar and take it home with her. I think she will live off takeaway food for a while. :lol:
  • Options
    The_MercuriaThe_Mercuria Posts: 159 Member

Lita, my country Sim, went to town to boost social. It was noon, everything was open, but there were only 2 Sims wandering around. I expected to see a bunch of Sims like I do on other public lots in other worlds.

I don't like having to go down a wormhole to go next door. If I can walk to it, I should be able to walk into it. I especially want to go into the big horse event building.

Being a spectator at a horse event is like logging out. Seriously, Lita disappears and I see nothing. Why don't we have horse events we can watch? She can't afford a horse rn but we should be able to watch what she's "watching". That was a big disappointment.

Nectar skill building - OMG! Why so hard? Is it tiered? The requirements are really intense.

Jewelry - come on, this was a great opportunity to introduce more Native American influence. Female Sims get 2 earrings and one necklace. We need rings and bracelets. While I'm at it, what happened to the right hand? Do we not love it? We have 2 rings for the right hand. Let's bust out some big turquoise rings and bracelets and more earrings/necklaces in an update.

I wish we had an icebox. Pre electric refrigerator, people used ice boxes. They keep your food cold, but they leak water sometimes. It's hard to go off the grid without an icebox.
    All y'all developers in California are too young to remember tales of the icebox. My grandparents used ice boxes. It used to be all that was available.

I really don't have enough gameplay to see if I want anything more. I'm loving it so far!

• Options
    The_MercuriaThe_Mercuria Posts: 159 Member

LOL I don't know if this is negative but it's unexpected.

Lita doesn't own a horse yet, she can't afford one. While harvesting prairie grass and tending to plants, she found a big horse poop. WHAT? A random horse pooped on her property? DUUUDE
    :D:D:D
  • Options
    Llandros2012Llandros2012 Posts: 620 Member

Nectar skill building - OMG! Why so hard? Is it tiered? The requirements are really intense.

It's extremely slow building the skill on a regular lot - a tiny residential lot goes much faster and attending a University skill class works as well. If you combine those two it probably flies by. But without those expansions it is a VERY slow process to level 5 (the top).

However, if you want something even more painfully slow, try getting all the horse skills to level 10 - they go quickly in the beginning but OMG do they slow to a snail's pace towards the end. It's just tedious.
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    I keep reading that argument about horses having to be their own expansion to be done well but: you can't lead your horse around. You can't enter/exit the competition center riding your horse. The equestrian helmet removes the entire hair so as not to bother with hat chops. Even giving a free pass for bugs that will (presumably) be fixed, everywhere I look I see cut corners.
  • Options
    brackencat31brackencat31 Posts: 318 Member
    Why do they never test things?? I was nt that bothered about having horses but decided to get the pack anyway and I ve quite enjoyed it. But…… the bugs are driving me up the wall. The eating bug is so annoying, I had to stop playing and the nectar skill is really disappointing. Why only limited ingredients? I was hoping to use honey to make a really special nectar blend and no special grapes? Just the same boring ones, and different combinations of different berries could have made different nectars. I ve wanted nectar making for ages but this is really disappointing, it’s nothing like the nectar making in sims 3
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Just had to rage quit - have played with and without mods - sim is red in hunger sitting on bed with full plate of food but will not eat - just sits there like a rock. Had to reset - went to the bathroom and just froze - would not wash hands or do anything else - just completely froze. Had to reset again.

Went to make nectar and the progress didn't move - he just kept stomping his feet on the grapes. Maxed nectar making but several hours of stomping and no progress - had to reset and scrap the batch. Tried again and the same result. Sold the nectar maker and tried again - give you one guess what happened.

Already reported on AHQ but if you are on the fence be forewarned that there are game breaking bugs.

I had all those bugs except for the food one. Did you me too here?
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Game-and-Mod-CC-Issues/Sims-4-Horse-Ranch-clogged-tasks/m-p/12766059#M256902

It is marked as needs saves on the EA bug site.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/READ-FIRST-Compiled-list-of-reported-Issues/m-p/12754936#M253628

Will wait a bit before I buy the pack, see how the bug hunting goes first.
  • Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    Just had to rage quit - have played with and without mods - sim is red in hunger sitting on bed with full plate of food but will not eat - just sits there like a rock. Had to reset - went to the bathroom and just froze - would not wash hands or do anything else - just completely froze. Had to reset again.

Went to make nectar and the progress didn't move - he just kept stomping his feet on the grapes. Maxed nectar making but several hours of stomping and no progress - had to reset and scrap the batch. Tried again and the same result. Sold the nectar maker and tried again - give you one guess what happened.

Already reported on AHQ but if you are on the fence be forewarned that there are game breaking bugs.

I had all those bugs except for the food one. Did you me too here?
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Game-and-Mod-CC-Issues/Sims-4-Horse-Ranch-clogged-tasks/m-p/12766059#M256902

It is marked as needs saves on the EA bug site.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/READ-FIRST-Compiled-list-of-reported-Issues/m-p/12754936#M253628

Will wait a bit before I buy the pack, see how the bug hunting goes first.

I didn't have the cooking or nectar making getting stuck bugs. The getting stuck doing stuff and not increasing the nectar making skill is not being asked for saves. All the bugs I experienced were in the new world in the top neighborhood on the 50X50 ranch and the rental lot, changed to tiny resident.

After dealing with the bugs on 2 different lots in that world, in that neighborhood, I started a new game in strangervill. I used the new sim and the new lot from the rental and no bugs happened, even the prairie grass lot trait worked in strangervill.

I'm playing other games and not going to play the sims for awhile. So even if they do request saves for the bugs in my link, I won't have a save to send them, since I'm no longer playing in the new world.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    I have not encountered the aforementioned bugs concerning eating or nectar making, but I do have two comparatively minor annoyances, maybe someone could tell me if these are bugs or what I'm doing wrong:

- Sometimes, after a sim has successfully mounted a horse and I tell them to go for a ride, the sim just unceremoniously dismounts again and nothing happens. It usually works the second time, but yesterday, I had to tell a sim three or four times in a row to get on the horse and start riding because she would always dismount. Pretty sure this isn't supposed to happen.

- My nectar doesn't age. I've had a bottle sitting in the appropriate shelf for days, and every time I check on it, there has been no progress whatsoever. In this case, I'm not sure if it's a bug or if it really takes that long, or if it's related to the quality of the nectar (maybe bad quality nectar doesn't age at all?).

Also, a little rant: Am I the only one who isn't totally over the moon about the mini sheep and goats? This is something I encounter everywhere in society: When something is small, everyone won't stop gushing over how cuuuute it is. It's the same with babies and small children in general, and I'm the exception in that case, too. Those mini animals do nothing for me, I wish we had normal-sized versions of the goats at least, then it wouldn't look so wrong when they're being milked.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,446 Member
    I have not encountered the aforementioned bugs concerning eating or nectar making, but I do have two comparatively minor annoyances, maybe someone could tell me if these are bugs or what I'm doing wrong:

- Sometimes, after a sim has successfully mounted a horse and I tell them to go for a ride, the sim just unceremoniously dismounts again and nothing happens. It usually works the second time, but yesterday, I had to tell a sim three or four times in a row to get on the horse and start riding because she would always dismount. Pretty sure this isn't supposed to happen.

- My nectar doesn't age. I've had a bottle sitting in the appropriate shelf for days, and every time I check on it, there has been no progress whatsoever. In this case, I'm not sure if it's a bug or if it really takes that long, or if it's related to the quality of the nectar (maybe bad quality nectar doesn't age at all?).

Also, a little rant: Am I the only one who isn't totally over the moon about the mini sheep and goats? This is something I encounter everywhere in society: When something is small, everyone won't stop gushing over how cuuuute it is. It's the same with babies and small children in general, and I'm the exception in that case, too. Those mini animals do nothing for me, I wish we had normal-sized versions of the goats at least, then it wouldn't look so wrong when they're being milked.

I feel the same about the mini sheep and goats. They are perfect for a petting zoo but not for a serious ranch or farm. If someone wants to keep these animals for wool or milk, wouldn't they be better of with regular size animals? Seriously, how can a mini goat produce enough milk for a bottle? How much tiny sheep do you need for the same amount of wool of a normal sheep.
    My sims toddlers will admire the cuteness once I get the pack but I won't. For my farms I will just have to pretend that these animals are bigger. Just like I have to pretend that unicorns are magical and more than just one shallow visual accessory.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,026 Member
    The mini goats and sheep are so tiny and useless I barely notice them tbh. I wonder if I can size them up with the bracket key?
    ugMcxZk.jpeg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    @Gordy The idea has crossed my mind. I think I'll try that next time I play.

@Atreya33 I'm fairly okay with the dwarf sheep even though I'm not as crazy about them as most people. Quite a few of my sims enjoy knitting or cross-stitching and could use their own source of wool, but the llama takes up so much space, looks out of place in most worlds, and you have to go to great lengths to change its colour. So I appreciate a smaller, less exotic and less complicated alternative in the form of small sheep of which you can easily keep several around without them getting in your way too much. But for the sake of realism and variety, bigger sheep would have been great, too, even if they take up more space and resources.

I'm 99% convinced that bigger versions of sheep and goats were planned, or at least considered at some point, until someone decided they're not worth the extra effort because "everyone" would be fine with the dwarf versions as long as they're cuuuute! And for the most part, from what I can tell, that strategy seems to be working.
  • Options
    IObelleIObelle Posts: 136 Member
    If they planned on making goats and sheep the babies of adult versions but then scrapped it, they should had also removed the ability to bottle feed them. Since they're adult dwarf sheep and goats they wouldn't drink milk, it's just not realistic. And I don't think it's cute.
    There Are No Plantsims In The Sims 4
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member

I have had this happen. But in my experience, it only happens when the sim is first learning to ride and/or first developing their relationship with that particular horse. This leads me to believe it may be intentional, rather than a bug.
  • Options
    @GrumpyGlowfish your view on the sheep and the goats sound very close to mine. I would have preferred bigger ones but it's not a big deal.
    IObelle wrote: »
    If they planned on making goats and sheep the babies of adult versions but then scrapped it, they should had also removed the ability to bottle feed them. Since they're adult dwarf sheep and goats they wouldn't drink milk, it's just not realistic. And I don't think it's cute.

Giving milk to adult animals is not realistic, no matter how small in size they are.
  • Options
    ULIBABA66ULIBABA66 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Very disappointed that we cannot upgrade nectar machines or feeders to be automatic for horses goats and sheep. They should fix these stupid oversights. :(
  • Options
    ULIBABA66 wrote: »
    Very disappointed that we cannot upgrade nectar machines or feeders to be automatic for horses goats and sheep. They should fix these stupid oversights. :(

Horses can eat grass directly from the plant, if you have a few plants on the lot you literally don't need to add any hay to the feeder.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

Horses can eat grass directly from the plant, if you have a few plants on the lot you literally don't need to add any hay to the feeder.

That being said, if you search the grass yourself, you get grass for the feeder and usually a bonus item as well. If the horse eats directly from the grass, they just get the grass.
  • Options
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    crocobaura wrote: »

That being said, if you search the grass yourself, you get grass for the feeder and usually a bonus item as well. If the horse eats directly from the grass, they just get the grass.

Yes, that's a bonus if you search it yourself, but horses eating the grass on their own removes the need for an automatic feeder. Though I am not sure if it's affected by seasonal changes and if it's available for eating in winter.
  • Options
    EleriEleri Posts: 555 Member
    edited July 2023

Have you tried this with different types of nectar? In real life not all wines benefit from aging, so I wonder if they have something similar in this pack. I'm certainly not discounting the possibility that this is a bug, mind you.
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    The mini goats and sheep are so tiny and useless I barely notice them tbh. I wonder if I can size them up with the bracket key?

You can, however they keep baby proportions so they look like sheep with a giant head and anime eyes.
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,023 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    Why didn’t they make adult sheep and goats?! I don’t get why they would only have baby ones. 🤔🤷🏼‍♂️ It’s odd to have the option to milk baby goats.

If they’re supposed to be dwarf adults then why bottle feed?

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    ElisdreamElisdream Posts: 295 Member
    What bothers me is that we didn't get a single bed for toddles nor cribs for infants.
    So I was building the room for the kids but the beds don't match becsuse there's no cribs nor toddler beds in the pack.
  • Options
    Elisdream wrote: »
    What bothers me is that we didn't get a single bed for toddles nor cribs for infants.
    So I was building the room for the kids but the beds don't match becsuse there's no cribs nor toddler beds in the pack.

It is unfortunately not the first time. I always struggle with toddler beds, especially when I use the spellcasters furniture, and now it is apparently the same with the set in this pack. Perhaps instead of 6 adult sized beds they could have done one less and add a toddler bed. A complete furniture set in a specific theme should include a infant crib and toddler bed.
  • Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    I was setting up my game to play 2 singles who will each do one of the new aspirations, meet and hopefully marry and start a family. I want them to meet the new families and don't want to have to evict any of them. However, with the limited larger lots I find I may have to. The 40x30 lots are all occupied. I can use the 64x64 (which I will probably do) but didn't want to use a lot that big. A 40x40 would have been nice. I want them to be neighbors in Riders Glen, set up the 30x30 and now need a 2nd ranch. There i only 1 30x40, occupied. More 30x40s or 40x40s definitly would be better than 2 20x30s in a neighborhood for ranchers to live. I considered the 50x50 in Galloping Gulch but the other 2 are even smaller. I know I will be having a difficult time finding room for the rotational 1800s game I am planning as my sims will be living off the land with their horses and other farm animals. I will manage, but am still disappointed.