Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Horse ranch negative discussion.

Comments

• Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    edited July 2023
    SnaveXs wrote: »
    I think there's just a lack of gameplay object's. Some recreation objects outside of horses especially for toddler's. My babies got left out of the horse riding. They could've had a rocking horse. Nectar making is really the only gameplay object. I'm just really tired of stuff being excluded and it's usually stuff that requires gameplay animation's which people keep asking for. I know there's a team of people currently working on Sims 5 but let us enjoy Sims 4 too. Don't skimp us on the gameplay that was in previous iterations of the Sims.

Toddlers were not left out...! They will have a blast with the mini sheep and goats.
    proxy-image?piurl=https%3A%2F%2Fencrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com%2Fimages%3Fq%3Dtbn%3AANd9GcTsCF34-o-XSzKvGsimfLgHrrxXbeYBnjGmsIM3DJP79w8laOsA%26s&sp=1689415416Tf47244ab2203a17b4b8461d41bac052d77abbcdee4f0cff046315871ca3a3a87
    bixters wrote: »
    The world looked pretty but not very big. Of course, the main square looked completely empty and filled with fake buildings.
    I am also annoyed that it doesn't look like you can plant your own Prairie Grass. It looks like it just grows randomly, and then you have to harvest it wherever you find it.

To me the world looked like one of the bigger worlds we ever got. Funny hoe different we sawe that, maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle.
    Prairie grass can't be totally random, because IIRC those sims harvested it on a residential lot. So, it should be from an object placed there - unless it was the new grass lot challenge.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2023
    IObelle wrote: »
    I think it's quite creepy if goats and sheep can be bottle fed as if they're kids and lambs, if they at the same time can be milked as if they're adult.

This is why I called them baby goats and sheep in another thread because of the trailer, but they are mini? That is just weird and crazy.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I adore horses in RL and if any pack could bring me back to sims 4 full time this one could.

But having watched the live stream I am feeling very underwhelmed. The horses do look weird, the animations of the riding look strange although admittedly that could be me nit picking.
    I am of the opinion like many others in this thread that this should have been included with cottage living. And or cats and dogs. I don’t think there is enough to justify this being it’s own dlc. Not even a game pack; but an expansion.
  • Options
    IObelleIObelle Posts: 136 Member
    If goats and sheep had a baby stage and an adult stage as well as different genders so they'd be able to reproduce, like roosters and hens in Cottage Living, and if a full unicorn lifestate is included, then I think it's enough to be called an expansion pack. But if both these features are missing it just feels incomplete.
    There Are No Plantsims In The Sims 4
  • Options
    JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    I do think it’s okay that if you’re not into horses you probably won’t be interested in horse ranch.

Lots of people don’t buy vampires or werewolves because they won’t play them. And I know the same with people not buying growing together or cats and dogs because they don’t do family gameplay or pets.

So I’m a bit surprised there’s an expectation that horse ranch has to cater for people that don’t like horses. They were a highly requested feature and it makes sense that they’re the main part of the expansion.

I do understand other criticisms of how it would be nice to have a few other things but I don’t get the “I’m not into horses but I should still love this pack” criticism. I think it makes sense that it’s one to skip if you don’t like horses.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Before any of you go ahead and buy this pack I think you should at least be informed that Sims Community site is calling out a lot of red flags about the live stream and how familiar it seems to My Wedding Stories red flags during a live prerecorded live stream.

https://simscommunity.info/2023/07/15/sims-4-horse-ranch-red-flag/
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,877 Member
    Personnally I’ve been wanting horses so I’ll get it. But it could have been part of Cats and Dogs and the Mini Goats and Sheep could have been in Cottage living.

Speaking of Cats and Dogs, do Horses also get sick ?

It would have been nice to have new careers too. New harvestables as well, what about corn ?

• Options
    greydonngreydonn Posts: 717 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Before any of you go ahead and buy this pack I think you should at least be informed that Sims Community site is calling out a lot of red flags about the live stream and how familiar it seems to My Wedding Stories red flags during a live prerecorded live stream.

This looks bad. I noticed some of the points while watching but others are enlightening.

They did call it a livestream, right? having it be prerecorded is the exact opposite of a livestream.
    • Gen 25: Xanthe! >:)
    • She/Her.
  • Options
    Aquarius94Aquarius94 Posts: 505 Member
    edited July 2023
    JustinB113 wrote: »
    I do think it’s okay that if you’re not into horses you probably won’t be interested in horse ranch.

Lots of people don’t buy vampires or werewolves because they won’t play them. And I know the same with people not buying growing together or cats and dogs because they don’t do family gameplay or pets.

So I’m a bit surprised there’s an expectation that horse ranch has to cater for people that don’t like horses. They were a highly requested feature and it makes sense that they’re the main part of the expansion.

I do understand other criticisms of how it would be nice to have a few other things but I don’t get the “I’m not into horses but I should still love this pack” criticism. I think it makes sense that it’s one to skip if you don’t like horses.

I think the main issue is that most other expansion packs at least have something else worthwhile to offer for those who aren't interested in the main feature. And if they didn't, they at least had the courtesy to be game packs so the expansion packs could be saved for a theme that actually would facilitate multiple features.

Whereas with this expansion....there's not really anything noteworthy to do outside of just...riding horses. There's nectar making but it's more or less the same thing you'd get out of Eco Lifestyle's juice fizzing machine. There's taking care of the mini animals...which are just smaller versions of what we have in Cottage Living.

I think had this been a game pack, there'd be a lot less controversy. But this is an expansion pack that doesn't really feel all that expansive in terms of new features. Even if it were for something I actually cared about, I'd feel the same way. I LOVE the supernatural packs, but I don't think a single new life state is enough to justify an entire expansion. I would LOVE to have vehicles again (in fact I'm kinda PO'd that we got bikes, boats, and horses before cars)....But I would never want an entire expansion pack centered around them (even though I could definitely think of a lot of things you could do with that idea, now that Horse Ranch has shown us what little you can get away with including and still be considered an expansion pack)
    Post edited by Aquarius94 on
  • Options
    MelisendreMelisendre Posts: 195 Member

Exactly my thoughts. Did they ever prerecord a livestream? It felt so weird.
    Now I'm waiting for the videos of the content creators to show us the real gameplay.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited July 2023
    Melisendre wrote: »

Now I'm waiting for the videos of the content creators to show us the real gameplay.

I can think of a reason why they might not want to push the pack back to make sure it's solid.
    There are some heavy hitter games coming out soon as well as Life By You releasing on early access.
    This is not an issue for simmers who only play The Sims 4, but I play a lot of other games.

I've already put off buying this pack because I plan to be playing Starfield, Life By You, Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty, and Cities Skylines II for the rest of the year. I am currently playing the Mass Effect Trilogy and Andromeda (Just finished it) and Skyrim (Currently playing it) So I can get them off my SSD to make room for new games.

I am not playing The Sims 4 at all and probably will not play it well into next year.
    I am considering not buying anymore packs at all until TS4 is finished, buying up packs on discount as they go on sale.
    If playing TS4 was my only choice now, the timing of Horse Ranch would be perfect, as I could play TS4 right up to the launch of these new games, but if it was delayed, I wouldn't bother as I would have a lot of choice new games coming out around the same time.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    This is definitely a Game Pack level of content. I have always wanted horses and they are very cute, but this pack is too small to be an Expansion Pack. The Sims 3 Pets had dogs, cats, small animals of many varieties (birds, rodents, reptiles and wild deer), horses and unicorns! Compare that to this pack - horses, sheep and goats.

I think horses, sheep and goats should have been a part of Cottage Living, if not Pets.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    Toddlers were not left out...! They will have a blast with the mini sheep and goats. - Simmerville

Simmerville, I noticed the interaction between goat and toddler but that's not the point. I'm talking about since they can't ride on horses, they could've at least brought back the rocking horse for the toddler's. They excluded gameplay objects that could've been added to this expansion pack. It's bad enough that we get tons of CAS and clutter kits released with very few gameplay object's. There's objects that could've easily fit into this theme to make it feel more fleshed out.
  • Options
    cdshrout1171cdshrout1171 Posts: 49 Member
    Okay so in the PRERECORDED "Livestream"...WHY? Did they just milk baby sheep and goats OR did they just bottle feed adult sheep and goats? Either one is pretty messed up.
  • Options
    They say there is over 30 breeds....ummmm not really. There is really only two types, light riding type and draft type. The obviously don't know how drastically different breeds look from each other. All of them look almost exactly alike in model, just with different pretty painting on them.
  • Options
    Not gonna lie, everything they've shown looks good...it really does. But, there is still not enough to justify calling it an EP and charging EP prices.
  • Options
    JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited July 2023
    Aquarius94 wrote: »
    I think the main issue is that most other expansion packs at least have something else worthwhile to offer for those who aren't interested in the main feature. And if they didn't, they at least had the courtesy to be game packs so the expansion packs could be saved for a theme that actually would facilitate multiple features.

You think? I know you said most but it’s not that unusual that the pack isn’t really worth the money if you don’t like the main theme of it. Get Together doesn’t offer too much gameplay if you’re not interested in clubs, especially since they toned down the invite to parties. Snowy Escape and Island living offer next to nothing outside of their worlds. And if you’re not interested in being a celebrity I can’t think Get Famous adds too much besides like drama club. Cats and Dogs? I guess it has the vet career but that’s about it.

I will agree that most expansion packs do seem to have more than just the one main feature, Get to work also has stores and aliens for example, but I’d still say it’s not worth full price if you’re not at least semi interested in an active career (unless you really love aliens).

Let’s say it wasn’t a sims pack but a full game. It just wouldn’t make sense to buy something called horse ranch if you didn’t like horses.
  • Options
    sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    does anyone know if theyre going to update cats and dogs to show their needs when you hover over them like theyve done with horses? if not thats a pretty big oversight.
  • Options
    sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    Melisendre wrote: »

I can think of a reason why they might not want to push the pack back to make sure it's solid.
    There are some heavy hitter games coming out soon as well as Life By You releasing on early access.
    This is not an issue for simmers who only play The Sims 4, but I play a lot of other games.

I've already put off buying this pack because I plan to be playing Starfield, Life By You, Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty, and Cities Skylines II for the rest of the year. I am currently playing the Mass Effect Trilogy and Andromeda (Just finished it) and Skyrim (Currently playing it) So I can get them off my SSD to make room for new games.

I am not playing The Sims 4 at all and probably will not play it well into next year.
    I am considering not buying anymore packs at all until TS4 is finished, buying up packs on discount as they go on sale.
    If playing TS4 was my only choice now, the timing of Horse Ranch would be perfect, as I could play TS4 right up to the launch of these new games, but if it was delayed, I wouldn't bother as I would have a lot of choice new games coming out around the same time.

Wow I never thought you of all people would stop playing sims! This means no one is safe haha.
  • Options
    LSM36LSM36 Posts: 593 Member
    sam123 wrote: »
    does anyone know if theyre going to update cats and dogs to show their needs when you hover over them like theyve done with horses? if not thats a pretty big oversight.

Idk. I feel like my biggest peeve now, and what was previously my biggest hope, was like a pet&household overhaul. At the very least they needed to upgrade household size. And hopefully unlock the switch thing that let's you control pets. Like that mod.
    Bc the mod doesn't actually add anything to the game from what I understand, it just switches on something in the games code that was already there, and let's you see all your pet's needs and send them to do the few things they can do. And it's never broken.

I was hoping they'd just decide to flip it for all simmers, or make it a toggle like bust the dust. Bc we this is gonna be a lot. But it's already feeling like wherever possible they've taken the easier way of doing things rather than doing deep fixes that would make things better, and easier over all. Which is a trend but still.

It's hard enough keeping pets happy in the Sims 4 when it's a cat or a dog. Is a horse gonna run away? Idk. I'm getting more an more despondent the more I think about how little we actually know after that "livestream".
    Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    If goats and sheep had a baby stage and an adult stage as well as different genders so they'd be able to reproduce, like roosters and hens in Cottage Living, and if a full unicorn lifestate is included, then I think it's enough to be called an expansion pack. But if both these features are missing it just feels incomplete.

They need to add regular size adult sheep and goats. It doesn't make sense to feed them milk if they are supposed to be adult, but I think the size is suitable if you wish to play them as baby goats and sheep.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

They need to add regular size adult sheep and goats.
    I'm sure they will in our third farm EP: Piggy Living. And if we're lucky, there will even be cross-pack compatibility with the animals in Horse Ranch.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    crocobaura wrote: »

They need to add regular size adult sheep and goats.
    I'm sure they will in our third farm EP: Piggy Living. And if we're lucky, there will even be cross-pack compatibility with the animals in Horse Ranch.

As long as the animals are free range, I'll be happy with that. I enjoy the farm theme, I just wish there was more coherence to it. I am not sure if they added milk bottle feeding to adult sheep because they, the developers, are basically city folk who have only seen farm animals on youtube or because they thought it was funny and cute but didn't have time to add proper adult sheep and goats. Anyway, I can pretend the mini sheep and goats are really just babies, they seem too big anyways to be miniature baby sheep and goats either. In my country we call this an ostrich-camel. :lol:
  • Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    @Aquarius94 I very much agree! Although, I do quite enjoy horse gameplay in the sims (currently playing with it for a farm family in TS3) I think some people are missing the point of the criticisms that EPs are meant to expand the game with new features, gameplay objects, and a world. Not just add one life state that you can do some stuff with, and then add like 2 tiny re-skinned objects that have been in other packs in some form and a world with no new lot types of any kind and is mostly empty/shells. This could've been a GP with a horse life state, only mini goats without the sheep (since it seems the sheep are useless anyway?), and 8 lots (like Tartosa has), with one new lot type such as a pet shop or horse ranch that is not a shell or rabbit hole. This really is the most empty EP I have ever seen in the entirety of The Sims franchise, and it is disappointing.
  • Options
    PandoraTOPandoraTO Posts: 438 Member
    JustinB113 wrote: »
    You think? I know you said most but it’s not that unusual that the pack isn’t really worth the money if you don’t like the main theme of it. Get Together doesn’t offer too much gameplay if you’re not interested in clubs, especially since they toned down the invite to parties. Snowy Escape and Island living offer next to nothing outside of their worlds. And if you’re not interested in being a celebrity I can’t think Get Famous adds too much besides like drama club. Cats and Dogs? I guess it has the vet career but that’s about it.

Sorry, I have to disagree with this assessment of those packs. They have lots of gameplay potential outside of their worlds. Take SE for example, as I think it's the most recent of the above. It introduced sentiments, vacation lots, removing shoes/wearing slippers indoors, and platforms (all added to bg), for one thing. And even though I hardly ever play in Mt. Komorebi itself (although I sometimes like to send my sims to the festivals), it has lots of potential outside of that world:
    • great furniture and room decor
    • lots of winterwear to use with Seasons
    • hiking
    • chopsticks, sushi recipes, among others, and the hot pot
    • vending machines (also a way to die)
    • vendor booths
    • lifestyles
    • Proper and Adventurous traits
    • Salaryperson career
    • Onsen spa lot type and the hot springs (also a woo hoo location)
    • Simmi capsules
    • tents and campfires (great if you don't have OR)

I'm probably forgetting a few things. OTOH, from what I saw in the livestream, I'm not sure what HR has to offer outside of its world besides maybe the bb, only some of the cas because some seems too ranching/riding-specific to use as dailywear, goats and sheep if you don't have chickens or want something like chickens without a coop to go back to, and I guess nectar-making might be interesting to some if they don't have juice fizzing.

I wish I could be more optimistic. I'm told the livestream was abnormally short. Maybe there was another hour's worth of content in the pack and they just chose not to show it to us. Maybe they're saving some new system like lifestyles to be a big surprise when the pack comes out. Maybe they're still working on a new trait that's not specifically tied to the pack that they'll drop in at the last minute. But I'm not holding my breath.
    Gallery ID: PandoraTO