Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Horse ranch negative discussion.

Comments

• Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    Aquarius94 wrote: »
    Yeah that gameplay trailer did absolutely nothing for me aside from confirming that if I do get this pack, it would only be for the nectar. Like....is it just me or did it make this pack feel...kinda empty for an expansion?

It wasn't the best gameplay trailer they've ever done. But it didn't make me feel like the pack was lacking, it made me feel like the trailer was lacking.

I do suspect now that we are not getting any new grape types. I would have liked to see a middle-ground between just plain grapes, and the five million varieties that TS3 had (which was overkill). Like, two new grape types would have been a happy medium. It's not a dealbreaker or anything, just a minor quibble. And I can definitely live with it if we get other new harvestables instead. But if we don't get any new harvestables, other than prairie grass, I will be a little unhappy.

I think the restaurant menu has only couple varieties of nectar, red and white. Would be nice indeed to have a couple or so more varieties of grapes, after all we have so many mushroom varieties.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. Red, white, and maybe champagne grapes. They could even rename the base game grapes to red*, and just add white and champagne. Although the ones we already have are pretty clearly table grapes, or like the kind you would use for making jelly, not wine grapes at all. But I think that would be a decent compromise. (I thought all the distinct varieties in TS3 were cool, but it was hard to keep track of them.) Particularly with the ability to make fruit wine.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,402 Member
    Yeah that gameplay trailer did absolutely nothing for me aside from confirming that if I do get this pack, it would only be for the nectar. Like....is it just me or did it make this pack feel...kinda empty for an expansion?

It wasn't the best gameplay trailer they've ever done. But it didn't make me feel like the pack was lacking, it made me feel like the trailer was lacking.

I do suspect now that we are not getting any new grape types. I would have liked to see a middle-ground between just plain grapes, and the five million varieties that TS3 had (which was overkill). Like, two new grape types would have been a happy medium. It's not a dealbreaker or anything, just a minor quibble. And I can definitely live with it if we get other new harvestables instead. But if we don't get any new harvestables, other than prairie grass, I will be a little unhappy.

I think the restaurant menu has only couple varieties of nectar, red and white. Would be nice indeed to have a couple or so more varieties of grapes, after all we have so many mushroom varieties.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. Red, white, and maybe champagne grapes. They could even rename the base game grapes to red*, and just add white and champagne. Although the ones we already have are pretty clearly table grapes, or like the kind you would use for making jelly, not wine grapes at all. But I think that would be a decent compromise. (I thought all the distinct varieties in TS3 were cool, but it was hard to keep track of them.) Particularly with the ability to make fruit wine.

There are no champagne grapes, just grapes. Sparkling wine is made from regular wine grapes, just the process is different.
  • Options
    ReaganboganReaganbogan Posts: 278 Member
    edited July 2023
    Really disappointed there isn't any English gear. Goes into a bigger problem I have with the lack of balance in lifestyles. Now I love an outdoorsy pack but I'm still waiting for my snob sims to live their best life. Spas,skiing, GF, luxury party...can we get some more glamour? With this pack I would've loved an English saddle or even just CAS to be able to show a different story.
    Edit- English riding would've looked awesome in HOB
    Post edited by Reaganbogan on
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Reconsidering even buying this pack because there is just ... nothing in it.
  • Options

There are no champagne grapes, just grapes. Sparkling wine is made from regular wine grapes, just the process is different.

Yes and no. There are several types of grapes that can be used in champagne, but one of the main three is Chardonnay, and there is a subtype of Chardonnay grapes specifically called champagne.
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,424 Member
    edited July 2023
    Just watched the gameplay trailer.

If this exact expansion pack came out for a Sims game I play - Sims 2 or Sims 3 - I would not buy this.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,402 Member

Yes and no. There are several types of grapes that can be used in champagne, but one of the main three is Chardonnay, and there is a subtype of Chardonnay grapes specifically called champagne.

I pretty sure champagne actually refers to the region in France where it's made, not the grape variety, that's why only sparkling wine from that region can be called champagne, others are sold as sparkling wine.
  • Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    The gameplay trailer was all of the stuff in the first trailer but with a voiceover :/ I actually may uninstall The Sims 4 soon. I've grown quite tired of this and constantly feeling like their consumers are being taken advantage of and constantly being disappointed, but it's been an ongoing cycle for me with the packs for this gen of the game. May just stick to Sims 3 until I get another life sim game to try out.
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member

If this exact expansion pack came out for a Sims game I play - Sims 2 or Sims 3 - I would not buy this.
    This pack has like a 1/4 of the content of Sims 2 and 3 EPs so agreed.
  • Options
    Aquarius94Aquarius94 Posts: 505 Member
    Omri147 wrote: »

This pack has like a 1/4 of the content of Sims 2 and 3 EPs so agreed.

The other 3/4 are in Cottage Living :D
  • Options
    I pretty sure champagne actually refers to the region in France where it's made, not the grape variety, that's why only sparkling wine from that region can be called champagne, others are sold as sparkling wine.

Yes, it is a region, and yes, sparkling wines created outside that regions cannot be called champagne. It does not mean the name cannot be used for anything else.

Unless the vineyard owner I met, who gave me a handful of the grapes to eat, while I was standing in her field, and told me that there is a subtype of chardonnay grapes that are specifically called champagne grapes, was lying to me.

They also sell champagne grapes in many high-end grocery stores in the U.S.

Tl; dr: names can be used for more than one thing.
  • Options
    Negative sim influencer thoughts are coming in https://youtu.be/zY_fbZwF3h8
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,723 Member
    Well, that gameplay trailer was...kinda the same as the first trailer. It also felt like they went very fast from early beginnings to "the hard work paying off".
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,442 Member
    A voice over of a female young adult who is new in town... This gameplay trailer certainly won't be winning any price for originality amongst sims trailers.

The gameplay trailer shows little new. Just like with cats and dogs we are getting a pack with hardly any gameplay besides the main feature which is animals. But that is all I expected as soon as the theme was announced.

If I get this EP it will be for the world and the nectar making.

Anyone else find the clown horse looking atrocious? That particular horse won't be allowed in my save.
  • Options
    greydonngreydonn Posts: 717 Member
    Yeah, I'm not impressed. Usually after a trailer I'm talking about it allll daaaay but I just don't care. Everything they showed in the trailer we already know- besides the clown horse, that was fun I guess?

I just don't see why this is an expansion pack and not a game pack.
    • Gen 25: Xanthe! >:)
    • She/Her.
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    A voice over of a female young adult who is new in town... This gameplay trailer certainly won't be winning any price for originality amongst sims trailers.

The gameplay trailer shows little new. Just like with cats and dogs we are getting a pack with hardly any gameplay besides the main feature which is animals. But that is all I expected as soon as the theme was announced.

Anyone else find the clown horse looking atrocious? That particular horse won't be allowed in my save.
    At least with Cats and Dogs, we got a live career, but here we get...nectar making? :s
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    Kai252018Kai252018 Posts: 76 Member
    edited July 2023
    Listen ! Do you guys hear that? Exactly not one word or tweet about this pack from the gurus.
    You know how they usually be excited about the new packs. Everything was done by so called leaks 😉😉.
    This pack is just the second half of CL .
    Saving all the money and budget for the sims 5.
    Nothing to show here but copy and paste everything.
    And to be honest I don't think they even try to put anything new like the mechanical bull, piglets, turkeys, orange trees and corn fields, tractor, wheat field ect..
  • Options

Have we ever had a voiceover with a male sim?
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Are we sure this is not a game pack? Wow what an empty game play trailer.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,024 Member
    edited July 2023

We've had Morgyn Embers, but they're like nonbinary transmasc/transfemme, and their pronouns were never updated after the pronoun patch.
    Post edited by Gordy on
    ugMcxZk.jpeg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    PandoraTOPandoraTO Posts: 443 Member
    So, they stopped making stuff packs and replaced them with kits, and now expansions are like game packs and game packs are like stuff packs. lol

My number one burning question is still whether they're going to increase the size of households. I'm not sure how often I'm going to want to give up a slot for a horse. Do we know yet whether they'll even be controllable?
    Gallery ID: PandoraTO
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,024 Member
    If this is all we're getting, it's really disappointing. I know that horse animations are really extensive and probably cost a lot, but they're already making us pay for 2 EPs and a SP for only most of the content of Sims 3 Pets, plus redo on Juice Fizzing. The "smaller scope, more detail" philosophy should actually include us getting more detail and content.
    ugMcxZk.jpeg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member

I kinda went back and checked some. Only Strangerville had a male Sim (Erwin Pries) talking. Realm of Magic had Morgyn Ember who is non-binary. Growing Together, Get Famous, Jungle Adventures and Vampires have a male narrator who's not an actual Sim, and Cottage Living had a male... llama.