Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Horse ranch negative discussion.

Comments

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    NOBODY WANTS HORSES!!

I just "love" every time this argument is used.. "nobody" indeed :D

my negative: horses taking household slots, what has not been extended, if I understood right :( Thats bit bad thing :(

Yes this would be my negative also. I'm going to move my main sim to Chestnut Ridge where she'll have all the animals from Cottage Living plus a couple of horses so they can breed. Then I'll hire a ranch hand to help her out. Wonder if we can hire more than one ranch hand? 🤔
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    NOBODY WANTS HORSES!!

I just "love" every time this argument is used.. "nobody" indeed :D

my negative: horses taking household slots, what has not been extended, if I understood right :( Thats bit bad thing :(

Yes this would be my negative also. I'm going to move my main sim to Chestnut Ridge where she'll have all the animals from Cottage Living plus a couple of horses so they can breed. Then I'll hire a ranch hand to help her out. Wonder if we can hire more than one ranch hand? 🤔

I am more annoyed, that we are probably not going to be able to control horses.Evan if they are household members? I feel like I am wasting space and wish we had more room.I hope least we know there needs and skills.With maybe a cheat that can control them? Unlike Cats and Dogs.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    Omri147 wrote: »
    As much as I know people enjoy having new worlds in packs, it really does feel like they take way too many resources from packs in the Sims 4 (didn't take as much in Sims 2 and 3 cause both games had world creator features) which doesn't leave much for other features.

Yeah as much as I like the worlds we have I don't really get why every pack has to have a world I would rather have more resources go into adding more gameplay

in this pack I get it though since there needs to be places to ride those horses
    like this to me makes sense
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    Omri147 wrote: »
    As much as I know people enjoy having new worlds in packs, it really does feel like they take way too many resources from packs in the Sims 4 (didn't take as much in Sims 2 and 3 cause both games had world creator features) which doesn't leave much for other features.

Yeah as much as I like the worlds we have I don't really get why every pack has to have a world I would rather have more resources go into adding more gameplay

in this pack I get it though since there needs to be places to ride those horses
    like this to me makes sense

Probably because we don't have a create a world tool.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    edited June 2023
    HeidiHS wrote: »
    The horses are... weird. What's with their eyes? They're too big!

yeah the eyes look little weird to me too i assume they were trying to match ts4 art style but its just kinda weird
    And why do they hold the reins in that awful manner, when they ride? When they make an expansion about horseback riding the least they could do is to make the Sims ride in a realistic manner.

I think they must have taken reference from western style riding rather than dressage

but i also only know dressage form so I can't really comment on how correct it is for western riding

I mostly just find the reins appear almost too thin
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    So, I agree that horses using a household slot is a letdown. It forces people to play small families or households. What if you have a family of three and you want them each to have their own horses? That's already six slots. Then you might want to breed horses, have ranch dogs or barn cats, have more kids, have the kid's spouse move in when they've grown up so they can inherit the ranch and have their own family and all pitch in to care for the animals. I feel like a real ranch has more than one horse plus other small animals here and there and enough people to care for them. Hopefully goats and sheep don't count for a slot. It doesn't look like they do.

So that leads me to wonder if Sims can ride together, as in, each on their own horse but traveling together. The trailer only showed single Sims riding alone. It also would have been awesome if two Sims could ride double on one horse. A child with an adult or a couple riding romantically.

But what really has my apprehension is, will Sims be on their phones while they ride? Will they be standing around playing games or using social media or browsing the web while horse poop accumulates and the beautiful world and horses live on without their attention? This is always the end problem for me that makes me hesitate about updating my game for a new expansion. There is no way to turn off the mobile phone use, not even with a lot trait. If you notice, the majority of game trailers always try to sell us this image of a pack that functions as presented, with Sims only focused on the new content, living this new theme dutifully and promising immersion.

But we all know what's really going to happen. The horses will get ignored for the computer or other electronics, Sims will be riding with their phones out, and poop will become a nuisance the Sims wander around complaining about until they enter a room with the new, nice decorations. I like the promise of the pack, but the reality is going to be different.

And please tell me they didn't leave out actual unicorns. There's still a chance, so I won't spill gloom on that just yet. I want a shiny, black, fierce unicorn with red, glowing eyes for my Vampires to ride. I also want a goat Familiar for my Spellcasters.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited June 2023
    Also, where are the other things? A ranch pack, and no mechanical bull? Seriously? Or unicorns? All they had to add was a horn. There isn't even tumbleweed.

There's so many different things you can do with a ranch theme;
    • they could add a cowboy themed fairground festival with a ton of wild west funfair games
    • not with real weapons but they could add a cowboy "stand off"
    • growable cactuses
    • horse racing on the tv where sims could "bet" on a favorite team (not with real simoleons - maybe they get a positive moodlet if their team wins/negative if they don't)
    • a cowboy career with a good or bad path
    • there could be a restricted path in the desert, and when sims get to a high enough horse riding level they can explore it with their horse and could find a unicorn
    • stargazing on clear desert nights
    • donkeys
    • town NPCs like bartenders, sheriffs, etc that give you tasks similar to in Cottage Living
    • old school wild west saloon fashion

This is a theme that could've had a lot of fun ideas, instead it feels like they made horses, spent five minutes making a couple other things and called it done which is a real shame.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    graventhe wrote: »
    I'm surprised no one mentioned why sheep are ridiculously small and their sizes aren't realistic they decided to make them same size as cats so they don't have to make new animations for proper sheep sizes 🙄

Apparently they are miniatures, which is an actual breed. I looked it up when the leak dropped about mini goats and sheep. They do look very similar to the real thing. However, you are most likely correct in assuming they choose mini ones instead of standard size sheep due to animations. lol

Cats move different from sheep and goats, don't think that was the reason they choose to make them small sized. I know people make lions and zebras and foxes out of dogs and racoons out of cats, but they move differently so they don't look realistic. These sheep and goats move realistically, they jump and bounce like real sheep and goats do. They probably made them small because they are cute and can be hugged by toddlers. If a big sheep head butts you there is real potential they could hurt you. But these tiny ones, are just tiny and cute. Now I wonder if sims can sell their meat too or just their milk and wool.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited June 2023
    Pretty much a niche theme. For a pack that's going to mostly be dedicated to gameplay for horses figured it'd be more of a gamepack than anything. Much as I love the return of Nectar MAKING (maybe just me think it would have fit better into cottage living) I can't just pay right out for just that alone. Don't see this pack being terribly expansive to my gameplay. Other than my sims that tend to live in Henford.

Not gonna like horses taking up a family slot also. The trailer didn't show a lot for me to get excited about besides gameplay for horses, nectar making, lambs/goats (objects), and line dancing. There might be some more as it looks there 'could' be a wicker basket hobby of sorts or maybe it was decor, but it'd be like crafting objects much like knitting and cross stitching.

I assume being able to finally paint ceilings is coming in a base game update.

Also another desert world, so that makes three we have all together? :# I like deserts, but I do like variety more than anything.

CAS and Build buy? Thus far most of it looks it doesn't look like anything we haven't gotten in base game, henford, country kit, and strangerville. Just more leather and cowprint. Just more variety. I like stuff like that, but how much country aesthetic build buy do we actually need???

Can't even really enjoy doing a farm and now combo of a ranch since the gardening bug STILL plagues this game.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,174 Member
    edited June 2023
    Just wondering how far we will be able to ride the horses seeing as we dont have open worlds . Some of the things i am interested in and quite a few i couldn't care less about . Nectar making is a straight copy from Sims 2 it seems , Line dancing no doubt will need the dance mats . I am glad we get another world as i have used up every lot almost in all the other worlds . Hope we can use a cheat to redesign the main lot if its not changeable , Hope there are some big lots to have Horses , goats , sheep , cows , llamas , dogs , cats and chickens on

All we need then is the tractor from Sims 3 for hay rides and watering and harvesting plants lol . Wouldn't be suprised to see that appear as a stuff pack or costlier kit pack lol
  • Options
    becks1112becks1112 Posts: 919 Member
    This pack does not appeal to me at all. Very disappointed. We already have Cottage Living. I much prefer packs like Growing Together.
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    See, nectar making makes sense to me in this pack, though we don't have ranches here. We have farms, no matter what they actually have on them - dairy farm, horse farm, normal farm, etc, and almost all of them are multiuse at this point - it's not uncommon for a farm of any type to have a small winery, selling wine with the cheese and produce in their farm stand. They often have orchards too, to sell cider (hard and normal) during the fall, as well as baked goods. So to me, having a horse farm produce wine (*cough* nectar) makes sense, and from what I understand, a lot of the ranches out west are similar...especially some of the more touristy.
  • Options
    jennieeffinjennieeffin Posts: 184 Member
    See, nectar making makes sense to me in this pack, though we don't have ranches here. We have farms, no matter what they actually have on them - dairy farm, horse farm, normal farm, etc, and almost all of them are multiuse at this point - it's not uncommon for a farm of any type to have a small winery, selling wine with the cheese and produce in their farm stand. They often have orchards too, to sell cider (hard and normal) during the fall, as well as baked goods. So to me, having a horse farm produce wine (*cough* nectar) makes sense, and from what I understand, a lot of the ranches out west are similar...especially some of the more touristy.

Absolutely. As a California resident this setting (ranch+winery) makes total sense.
  • Options
    sclevenger08sclevenger08 Posts: 125 Member
    @WildIrishBanshee @jennieeffin I'm glad you both mentioned this. I also was in camp "Necter making is weird for a ranch" but you are absolutely right. I literally live not far from a little Orchard "ranch" that horses, goats, sheep and they do cider and apple picking and all that stuff. And I have definitely seen in movies, ranches that are also a fancy winery. Completely forgot.
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member

Yes, that makes sense.
  • Options
    HaflingerHaflinger Posts: 973 Member

Absolutely. As a California resident this setting (ranch+winery) makes total sense.

Also a Californian resident. Horses and vineyards are very common around where I live. There's a boarding facility not too far away that even has a vineyard in the middle of their training/race track.
  • Options
    DuskregnDuskregn Posts: 40 Member
    I think it's absolutely hysterical that in this hyper sanitized game where they force us to wear helmets for slowly riding our bicycles around with no cars or hills to endanger us, but riding half tonne prey animals with minds of their own? Not a helmet in sight. Very on brand for western riding i guess 🤠

Anyways, i was very excited for horses but i really don't want another, fancier version of oasis springs/strangerville, and i really don't care for western riding, barrel racing, or the cowboy aesthetic/lifestyle, so my enthusiasm has been curbed. Really hope there's tack that isn't all yeehaw, or equivalent to the neon nylon harnesses from C&D
  • Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    edited June 2023
    I think what annoys me most is that TS4 packs are too "themed", but not in the gameplay sense. As in, we only get 1 style per pack as opposed to just one all-encompassing GAMEPLAY theme we mostly pay for the aesthetic theme, which to me, is very very different and not what I qualify as worth $40. (Though different aesthetics are nice, i think focusing on one should be reserved for stuff packs).

**Also a side note but a lot of TS4 EPs feel like they don't expand the entire game like they are supposed to, but mostly effect the world the pack comes with. Snowy Escape, HSY, C&D (because you can only get stray pets in Brindleton Bay and cant even have a pet graveyard in other worlds because its set dressing) and from the trailer it feels like that will be the case with Horses. Obv not sure yet, but thats how it looks as the horse training lot I believe is not able to be placed anywhere just like the HS lot from HSY.
    Post edited by Coconut27 on
  • Options
    graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,330 Member
    graventhe wrote: »
    I'm surprised no one mentioned why sheep are ridiculously small and their sizes aren't realistic they decided to make them same size as cats so they don't have to make new animations for proper sheep sizes 🙄

Apparently they are miniatures, which is an actual breed. I looked it up when the leak dropped about mini goats and sheep. They do look very similar to the real thing. However, you are most likely correct in assuming they choose mini ones instead of standard size sheep due to animations. lol

Well I looked them up too and they are rare breed or not very popular they also called babydoll, they missed out a chance to add proper size sheep that most people familiar with

Babydoll-Sheep-are-perfect-for-children-Learn-more-at-everlyraine-com-by-Katie-O-Selvidge-1.jpg

Even the mini ones in real life still look too big for the ones in the trailer

Both sheep and goats have same sizes as each other and same as cats but fluffier 🙄
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    I'm going to buy this, but it really feels like it would have been better off as a Game Pack, even if they had to not include some of the content. Mainly because things that keep constantly being asked about (like Hotels) seems like it should be an Expansion Pack, and won't have chance to be, at least for a while.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    My only thing is it should've been a game pack I'm going to wait for the live stream to get more info but as first impression it should've been a game pack at least.
  • Options
    HolidayHoliday Posts: 681 Member
    Just seen a screenshot of all the Build and Buy items coming in the pack and honestly...snoozefest. Same old beds, chairs, kitchen counters and decoration that we can't do anything with. These packs are starting to feel like Stuff Packs with one gameplay focus whilst everything else is just items already in the game that just look different to fit the theme of the EP.
  • Options
    mrs_starkeymrs_starkey Posts: 169 Member
    edited June 2023
    Holiday wrote: »
    Just seen a screenshot of all the Build and Buy items coming in the pack and honestly...snoozefest. Same old beds, chairs, kitchen counters and decoration that we can't do anything with. These packs are starting to feel like Stuff Packs with one gameplay focus whilst everything else is just items already in the game that just look different to fit the theme of the EP.

Would you be so kind sharing the link to the screenshot with all the build/buy items? :) I'd love to take a look at all the items of the upcoming pack.

Edit: I found it!! 😍

Post edited by mrs_starkey on
  • Options
    ZiafarZiafar Posts: 704 Member
    @mrs_starkey You can find them here https://simscommunity.info/
  • Options
    BooDaBoo5BooDaBoo5 Posts: 253 Member
    edited June 2023
    No saloon doors :/ It may be a small thing but does seem weird to exclude it. And based on unicorn horns being decorative I would say no unicorns in game. Too bad.