Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Horse ranch negative discussion.

Comments

• Options
    FreddyFox1234FreddyFox1234 Posts: 509 Member
    If horses are free to roam, are we going to find them randomly wandering through the house like foxes do? And when we want to ride them somewhere, will we find our Sims are taking shortcuts riding horses through the house, as with bikes?
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    I don't mind that they separate the bigger feature groups. We should not always compare to TS3 or TS2. I don't find each pack that expensive either, that coming from a person with practically no income - hence still playing TS4 on Win8.1 and a computer that was low-end 6 years ago. Packs go on sale 6 months after release, with a game stuffed with features I did not yet try thoroughly, there's never a problem to wait if that will make justice to any rip-off. I like the split of cats&dogs and horses because I am way more a cat/dog person than a horse person. Splitting them makes it possible for me to have the features I like, and not filling up my game (and drive) with features I won't use. I will never get HSY, but there are still simmers thinking it was a rip off because it is quite similar to the UNI pack, just another age group. I'm soooo glad they are separate, as I love UNI but never play teens.

And - just because we already got CoL, should we never ever get other animals added? No sheep, no goat, no pigs? I'll welcome a few more farm additions with future packs, we don't need to say that all farm related should have been included with so and so pack.

So, loving my cows and llamas I would gladly skip this horse pack. And because it's separate, I can. If it wasn't for the sheep, goat and nectar making... :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    dogzdinnerdogzdinner Posts: 422 Member
    Not sure about this one....it is coming across as very lazy and cash grabby IMO.
    Sounds like it is going to borrow alot of features from other expansions and just slap a fresh coat of paint on it. Hopefully the horses arent tied to your lot or special venues either...

So on the one hand seems abit thin and unoriginal for an expansion pack....
    on the other hand I do have that save where I turned the whole of Oasis Springs into an Old West town ready to go (complete with cattle baron Landgraabs, outlaw Johnny Zest and saloon owners the Calientes!!).
  • Options
    CeridwenCeridwen Posts: 228 Member
    The theme isn't overly to my taste. There's loads of American stuff already (personal fave is Brindleton Bay related stuff, plus San Sequoia was nice; I think that shows my bias to be fair). Missed out on a big opportunity to have an Australian-referenced world, which would've been fun to experience. I don't hugely hate it, though, it has scope I can work with.

Sheep and goats are seriously cute, but really should grow to be full sized and should've been with Cottage Living. It's a bit on the cheeky side to split this all up, my wallet says.

I don't hate horses, but nor do I care for them in their own pack as such. I suppose I was hoping for something like a "transportation through the ages" pack, with horse and cart/horse riding, plus cars, trains, planes, etc. It would be sizeable enough for an expansion. I'll take it sans horses now, hint hint, Maxis. B)

I'm daft anyway, as I'll probably still buy this if it has nice Build/Buy items (and if not, smol sheep will probably curse me into doing it anyway). I suspect the new B/B stuff will mesh well with what we already have, and I genuinely always value more build items. Still want some nice spiral stairs though, and proper skylight windows would be nice, yet another hint hint, Maxis. B)

Best thing is the ceilings, really, and I'm hoping there's a base game variant for this (I don't know if I can pick this pack up on release, I'll have to see nearer the time), and then I imagine some more choices in this pack would be okay (like ladders and Eco Living).

I know this is the negative thread, but I'm still super happy a lot of other Simmers are overjoyed at this pack! Also, I hope those who want unicorns & llamacorns get them too (I not-so-secretly want them as well!).
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I wish there was a Chuck Wagon & Hayride in the new pack. Oh well. :(:'(
  • Options
    sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    Okay so this ep is basically horses, equestrian center, nectar making, and 2 mini pets that dont age. Sounds like another shallow EP tbh, hard pass.
  • Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    It definitely should be considered. Goats/sheep are a part of farm life.
  • Options
    sclevenger08sclevenger08 Posts: 125 Member
    Not a complaint yet, just a concern: Household limit. If they don't split the pets or raise the limit it will make this expansion impossible to play. I can't have a family ranch with only 8 slots if horses also take up a slot. I mean, I want parents, 3 children, a barn cat, a farm dog and NOW I can have ONE horse. Sacrifice a child and I guess I can have two now. But now my horses can't have foals..... So not much of a ranch. I don't even play with cats&dogs that often because they take up the household slots. So adding a third animal to take up a slot is just ridiculous.
  • Options
    sclevenger08sclevenger08 Posts: 125 Member
    telemwill wrote: »
    Y'all, the sheep and goats aren't babies. They are fully grown miniatures. These breeds exist in real life. The miniature goats are especially popular in my area.

I knew mini goats existed but I actually looked up the sheep last night. They are so cute. I had never seen miniature sheep before.
  • Options
    FreddyFox1234FreddyFox1234 Posts: 509 Member
    I never knew about miniature sheep and goats until this pack either, so that's something I've just learned :)
  • Options
    sorokonozhkasorokonozhka Posts: 20 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    But this is the 4th time that the sims has used horses as an excuse to slip in a couple Native families.

I'm confused by this statement. TS4 will be only the second time in the history of the Sims franchise that we have had horses. How can it be "the 4th time" for anything related to horses?

Soz, counting all ranch themed furniture sets/country themed worlds. not just the animals.
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    In before stuff packs are brought back for ‘My First Horse Stuff’ 💀
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    What troubles me, is once again, the horses are members of the household. We now have to choose between how many children per household vs how many horses. Face/palm.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited June 2023
    Honestly this is just Cottage Living 2.0 in my opinion. Horses are nice and all, but the overall concept looks basically the same. Living on a ranch/farm, taking care of animals, showing off animals, same difference. And since Im not really into country stuff (still waiting on another full fledged urban world) Im just feeling meh with this pack. Plus I can already tell that Im more than likely going to have to turn to mods to have unicorns in my game.
  • Options
    Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,906 Member
    My main gripe is that horses should have been added to the Cottage Living pack. Tired of the greed bro
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Meh.. Another predictably bland pack. 500th boring American world that's much the same as worlds we already have, seems like a horses game pack boosted to an EP through recycled content and things that could've been in Cottage Living. Just doesn't seem like there's much content at all, or like much imaginations gone into this. It just feels very "safe" to me, nothing majorly new or different just more sameness. :|

Really want to see a pack announcement again at some point and feel excited because it's new and totally different and seems like a lot of fun, everything's just felt a bit same old, same old in the last few years.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    Meh.. Another predictably bland pack. 500th boring American world that's much the same as worlds we already have, seems like a horses game pack boosted to an EP through recycled content and things that could've been in Cottage Living. Just doesn't seem like there's much content at all, or like much imaginations gone into this. It just feels very "safe" to me, nothing majorly new or different just more sameness. :|

Really want to see a pack announcement again at some point and feel excited because it's new and totally different and seems like a lot of fun, everything's just felt a bit same old, same old in the last few years.

Hm... there has not been a horse ranch pack announcement yet... isn't it a tad early to ditch the content? I know we are all eager to get the best for our games, but I'll at least hang on till the trailer release tomorrow, and even longer ;)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    - I wonder how nectar making differs from juice fizzing. This is mainly curiosity at the moment but since both are making drinks I hope they differ enough

I understand why people keep asking this, but to me that's like asking why we need milk when we have orange juice, or why we need green tea when we have soda cans. They are all beverages, right? But the differences add flavor to the game.

We'll have to see how they implement it and how it compares to TS3, but even if they borrow a lot of the animations/functionality, I still think it's worth it. Fizzy juice is basically kombucha or selzer, and nectar is basically wine. So they will be utilized by very different sims in very different contexts.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Yeah i really can't get past the fact that we are getting farm animals in another $40 EP. Also they most likely added nectar making (this feels so random for this pack) because they can reuse the stomping in puddles animation from Seasons to use for stomping grapes. It makes me think that the team has to get creative with what little budget they get. Like is their animation budget very small? it makes me think so since they constantly are reusing animations.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    Coconut27 wrote: »
    Yeah i really can't get past the fact that we are getting farm animals in another $40 EP. Also they most likely added nectar making (this feels so random for this pack) because they can reuse the stomping in puddles animation from Seasons to use for stomping grapes. It makes me think that the team has to get creative with what little budget they get. Like is their animation budget very small? it makes me think so since they constantly are reusing animations.

I have no issue with that.As long if there fleshed put different farm animals.I see no issue.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Thats fine! I take issue with it though. I am kind of tired feeling like we are having packs that should be one split up into two or three, thus having to pay triple the price.
  • Options
    PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    I suspect horses will be a blend between dogs and bikes. A minimum demand is that unexperienced riders will be thrown from the horse back.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    Coconut27 wrote: »
    Thats fine! I take issue with it though. I am kind of tired feeling like we are having packs that should be one split up into two or three, thus having to pay triple the price.

Keep in mind we already had chickens, llamas, cows and rabbits? It was not like we were down farm animals or we are getting stiffed.
  • Options
    It's okay if you don't agree, but this is the negative thread for a reason, I am expressing my feelings on the pack. I know this is not you trying to pick any kind of fight and just have a discussion, but I do not want to discuss, I am just here to express my concerns with the pack/game. It is okay that we have differing opinion, but I don't want someone trying to "reason" with me on why I shouldn't feel the way I do. I do hope the pack is enjoyable and I am glad that others do find the pack exciting though.