Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,958 Member
    Does anyone else feel like making your SimLit is like filming a movie? But you're almost ALL the departments except the actors? The Script Writer, the director, the Costume coordinater, sometimes the set desginer and builder (see pictures from yesterday), etc

I always feel like my stories are like tv shows. With my first story I originally called the chapters 'episodes' even. For me it's having pictures that makes that connection in my head. In this case it's not only ok to feel like that, but natural even. We really are all those things given how we present our stories to the readers.πŸ™‚ Some of us do more set design than others, but really even if all you do is download a lot from the gallery or change a couple of pieces of furniture in one of the default lots, you're still a set designer because you're tailoring the surroundings to fit.
  • Options
    mypalsim1mypalsim1 Posts: 4,282 Member
    edited May 2023
    Does anyone else feel like making your SimLit is like filming a movie? But you're almost ALL the departments except the actors? The Script Writer, the director, the Costume coordinater, sometimes the set desginer and builder (see pictures from yesterday), etc

But of course! In fact, when I showed one of my sims stories to folks on set, they’re like, β€œOh! You’re storyboarding!” So yes. You’re wearing all the hats. Sometimes I even feel like the actors, especially if I spend time designing the poses. It’s writing and doing these things that makes me positive that set-dec is NOT where I belong because I struggle with making things look realistic and not boring. 😁
  • Options
    Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,554 Member

Absolutely
  • Options
    hellohannah2hellohannah2 Posts: 839 Member

Absolutely! That’s all the fun of it, making your own lil movie and having total control over every aspect. It’s funny, I wrote sims stories when I was a young teen and eventually grew up to work in film. I’ve noticed that several other folks around here seem to have a similar trajectory. I only get a say in the design of one aspect of the TV shows & films I help to make, but with sims I get to do it all! It’s so creative and fun 😁

s54gWQ5.png
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,762 Member
    @DaniRose2143 There's a sim out there called Tony "Meatball" Corrensi and he's like a famous actor appearing in various "TV shows" set in different genres but he shows up four different times in my Swanson SimLit since his introduction in Gen 3- so he's a recurring guest star in my Swason TV show. (Also in my TV show he never ages- I pretended he drank the same water that the Tuck Family drank in the story/movie "Tuck Everlasting")
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    It’s funny, I wrote sims stories when I was a young teen and eventually grew up to work in film. I’ve noticed that several other folks around here seem to have a similar trajectory. I only get a say in the design of one aspect of the TV shows & films I help to make, but with sims I get to do it all! It’s so creative and fun 😁

Hey fellow film maker...although I'm semi-retired from the film and TV industry these days I will come out of retirement if the script and salary are interesting enough.

I think my time at film school and working in the industry has helped my writing no end. I know how to frame screenshots, use the classical Hollywood cinematic technique to make them more dynamic looking and in doing SimLit I have become my own one man film crew. Before I even get to the writing stage there has to be gameplay, you have to have the game running...it's like film-making in reverse in that you shoot the footage before writing the screenplay!

As my story is set in the past I can't have every game generated townie wearing whatever randomly cobbled together outfit so every single character has to have an era appropriate makeover. Then I go through all the neighbourhoods and work out what needs to be changed on each lot. Like a lot of film directors when you have all the sets in place and all the cast and background artists in costume and call "action!" (or press play in this case) I get a buzz from seeing it all come together and looking great.

• Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    It’s funny, I wrote sims stories when I was a young teen and eventually grew up to work in film. I’ve noticed that several other folks around here seem to have a similar trajectory. I only get a say in the design of one aspect of the TV shows & films I help to make, but with sims I get to do it all! It’s so creative and fun 😁

Hey fellow film maker...although I'm semi-retired from the film and TV industry these days I will come out of retirement if the script and salary are interesting enough.

I think my time at film school and working in the industry has helped my writing no end. I know how to frame screenshots, use the classical Hollywood cinematic technique to make them more dynamic looking and in doing SimLit I have become my own one man film crew. Before I even get to the writing stage there has to be gameplay, you have to have the game running...it's like film-making in reverse in that you shoot the footage before writing the screenplay!

As my story is set in the past I can't have every game generated townie wearing whatever randomly cobbled together outfit so every single character has to have an era appropriate makeover. Then I go through all the neighbourhoods and work out what needs to be changed on each lot. Like a lot of film directors when you have all the sets in place and all the cast and background artists in costume and call "action!" (or press play in this case) I get a buzz from seeing it all come together and looking great.

you were in the film and tv industry i've known you a while and never knew that. the cool thing about my shorter hours and week is i'm here more.
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,958 Member
    @MadameLee That sounds like a fun little sub-plot, 'Where were will Tony be today?'. I get too attached to my favorite sims and I can't bear to see them get old or die so I'm used to having stories full of sims like him that are always there in seemingly every save.πŸ™‚
  • Options
    yes my game finally updated. well its working on it.
  • Options

If I can ever get to Gen 8 I'm goign to have to do that and Gen 9's story from stratch because I only got up to Jane's and Henry's wedding before I restarted the 3rd (and then havoing to start for the 4th) time. So I got the first 7 Gens down but not anyting after it.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options

If I can ever get to Gen 8 I'm goign to have to do that and Gen 9's story from stratch because I only got up to Jane's and Henry's wedding before I restarted the 3rd (and then havoing to start for the 4th) time. So I got the first 7 Gens down but not anyting after it.

sorry about that madam lee. i had to start over a lot too. cathtea thinks i hold the record so i sympathize.
  • Options
    lizzielilyylizzielilyy Posts: 4,891 Member
    Chapter Eight Part II: Love Under the Desert Sun

Blair and Cece learn more about Reginald’s past in the pyramids of Egypt. Jean-Claude has an important question to ask Blair while Cece finds love of her own.

screenshot-53-5.jpg
    Gen-6-982x250-1.jpg
  • Options
    Barbara wants a cat. Not just any cat but her good luck cat. And as four eyes are better than two she's roped Jeremy in for the hunt. Chapter 186: 🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸, 🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸 Where Are You?

https://kelloggjkellogg.blogspot.com/2023/02/chapter-186-🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸-🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸-where-are.html

wpSYPQ2.png

well Ayden once ended up with 10 or 11 kids.because i had atonamus whoo on . thats him and elsa andof course christine. hes stubborn and hard to say no too,
  • Options
    As I have been merrily downloading all the Simxties cc on TSR here is the latest chapter of Sim 66. Julia has a date with suave stockbroker Jude but will he live up to her expectations? Chapter 196: Jude The Obscured

https://kelloggjkellogg.blogspot.com/2023/06/chapter-196-jude-obscured.html

sa2dYpA.png
  • Options
    SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,245 Member
    Wrapping up Box of Chocolates with one more chapter for this round, in which a treehouse is built, and Olivia becomes my first ever infant!

2.45 Rock-A-By Baby

zC2kbXF.png
    image.png
  • Options
    mypalsim1mypalsim1 Posts: 4,282 Member
    Had some time to work on this today before work. Finished it up tonight and thought I'd wait until morning to publish it, but then I'm like, 'why?' hehe. So here it is.

ate-41.png
    41: The Beach
  • Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member

There is a new chapter of our Underwater Love story.
    It's Vlad's short and dramatic background story.

9e623843a09c6d322c42f032d1e443a587799b25.jpg
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game πŸ›Ί A Dramedy 🚢🏼🚢🏻🚢🏽🚢🏽 The Boys πŸ₯‡ Their first year - A Dramedy πŸš€ Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug β˜ƒοΈ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms πŸ›‹ SciFi πŸ‘Ύ creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    new chapter:
    wcoxONq.jpg
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    lizzielilyylizzielilyy Posts: 4,891 Member
    Chapter Nine: Mergers and Acquisitions

As life resumes at Evergreen House and plans are made for Dixon's birthday, Jean-Claude comes to stay and meet his future mother-in-law.

xzx2iqkl5k9z.png
    Gen-6-982x250-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Two new chapters of Monday's Child: Arwyn. Getting ready for babies Lots of babies.

Chapter 15
    Chapter 16

htIx5zz.png
    image.png
  • Options
    SimTresa wrote: Β»
    Two new chapters of Monday's Child: Arwyn. Getting ready for babies Lots of babies.

Chapter 15
    Chapter 16

htIx5zz.png

her name sounds like something from game of thrones. i like it. i recently started watching GOT. I have way to much free time.
  • Options
    SimTresa wrote: Β»

Chapter 15
    Chapter 16

htIx5zz.png

her name sounds like something from game of thrones. i like it. i recently started watching GOT. I have way to much free time.

Hehe never noticed. :) It's an Indian (as in India) name meaning "light".
    image.png
  • Options
    Anyone who visits The Sims Resource will know they've been doing a Simxties collaboration and there's 24 pages of 1960s furnishings, clothing, hair and make up...about half of which I've downloaded so expect some makeovers of characters in upcoming chapters. Meanwhile, there are plans afoot at Sneedley Burrow in Chapter 197: Decoys

https://kelloggjkellogg.blogspot.com/2023/06/chapter-197-decoys.html

fPKDsWK.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top