Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you buy pre teens pack?

Comments

• Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    I’d buy pre teens pack in a heartbeat!
    If we were to ever get preteens I'd want to send them to school and be able to see then in school like with High School Years.
  • Options
    Katofhyrule12Katofhyrule12 Posts: 720 Member
    I'd rather see teens become shorter, and have children given more gameplay options. I'd rather expand what we have instead of adding something new.
  • Options
    Dr. BorpoDr. Borpo Posts: 26 Member
    I wouldn’t buy it and expect to come in a patch
    At this point, another life stage might break the game lol. It would be nice to have a more steady progression in aging, but the game is 10 years old and that might be something more streamlined in TS5.
  • Options
    MsMayMsMay Posts: 440 Member
    edited April 2023
    Other (comment)
    I would like pre-teen to be put in patch, instead of buying it in pack. I don’t know EA will ever adjust the height for the teen in the future. But if not, I think in my opinion if they have enough budget, they probably maybe have to create another teen life stage this time little short or normal size teen (like they did with infant) to replace the tall teen or maybe keep the tall teen & just shorten their age to 19 to 20 (like babies) to use them as reminder they’re almost near young adult.
    Post edited by MsMay on
  • Options
    LSM36LSM36 Posts: 593 Member
    I would want it patched in. Honestly I feel like some of these things should have already been in game. I think that when they released the game they decided to double down on what they chose and have only started to go back because they want to get more money before the game ends. Or rather, before they release their new iteration and expect us to buy that one and stop playing this one like they assumed would happen with sims 3.
    In my opinion, it always should have been something along the lines of:
    Baby(newborn probably more movable but they are better now)> Infants>Toddlers (2-4)> Little Kids(5-6)>Children (7-11)>Preteens(12 irl but in game myb 12-14)> Teens(15-17) >YA(18-29)> Adult(30-49)> Middle-Aged(50-60)> Retiree(60-65)> Elder(65+)
    And for the in-between stages rather than making them super long, extending the sims life and then having these stages shorter than their counter parts.
    Like you're a little kid for less time than you are a child and less time than you are a toddler. Or perhaps even more time or the same. That you are a Toddler because you're only a toddler for a few years. And you're only a Little Kid for a few years and then you're a child for maybe like 5 years.
    Similarly you're Pre-teens for a short amount of time. But that will allow for more distinction between playstyle, between the different things in game, even the puberty stuff they added in. And if they're gonna make teen look like Mini adults, it'd be interesting for them to at least have that awkward phase for a little bit. And we'd finally have a height slider!

I also think that everything in game is still heavily focused on young adults. We have recently gotten family contact. However, it doesn't really do all that much for sims over a certain age. And it's reductive for it to just be you're an adult and then you're old. Like it is a game but still. They can't even woo-hoo without unaliving. I think adding a few shorter lifestages after adulthood would be beneficial. They don't have to be as long as the main ones. But they could change a lot. Midlife crisis would actually happen to a middle-aged sim. You could retire before your back goes out. Also early retirement should be an option anyway. I might be more interested in playing with older sims if it wasn't a constant ticking of the time bomb for them. Give them the shot to enjoy their age more.

So yeah patch in Preteens, but also Little Kids going to Kindergarten and reading their first chapter book. Preteens learning how awkward middle school is. First crushes, not having crushes at all, Saturday morning cartoons, and a lemonade stand you kept from elementary school summers. Worrying about entering high school. And then go to adults who aren't YA anymore, and aren't even just in the got it mostly figured out phase anymore, firmly middle-aged they know what they know now. They've done a lot. They've got time ahead of them, but the stress of the day to day may get to them. And then our Retirees they're chilling. They managed to survive, some had only rags and are rich now, some had 100 kids and at least 20 want to take care of them in their old age. Others still just lived, loved, worked, and now get to go explore tombs, visit planets, and camp out. Most importantly they can still woo-hoo. And once they're elders they'll pass down the keepsake box and spend their time on more relaxing pursuits.
    Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    graventhe wrote: »
    What exactly would be in this pack?

Are you wanting this for "kids" and are just pretending they're closer in age to being a teen?

Or is this for teens you're pretending aren't basically a YA?

I mean to me the "kids" look like they're about 9-10 years old and teens look like they're close to graduating.

Or are you asking for a new life stage to be added?

The stage is a new stage called pre teens, they’re already in sims free play, they fill the big age gap between kids and teens..

From around 11 to 15 years, kids in game look 8, 9 years and teens look around 20, that’s a huge age gap!

there need to be a life stage between teens and kids to fill this gap

Pre teens males could have little mustache where puberty start instead of teens, have crushes and maybe first kisses? They could add playable active middle school as another gameplay option..

The possibilities are endless..

Oh ok, when I read "Pack" I was thinking of DLC Pack like they did for teens with HSY and the kids room and toddler stuff packs, which I couldn't figure out which life stage it would be for since we don't have a "Pre-Teen" life stage.
  • Options
    SlackerSlacker Posts: 2,938 Member
    Other (comment)
    Why not just fix the bugs and make this game playable again ! i dont think another life stage is worth it imho
    Gallrey ID: Le_Slacker
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Other (comment)
    I wouldn't object to Sims 5 having a Pre-Teen stage, but I don't think it's worth it for Sims 4.

I mean, I understand why people want it, and if we were to get it, I'd roll with it, but they'll likely get no more support going forward than children do now. And on top of that, there's a lot of work involved. Infants didn't have anything to "keep" between newborn and toddler, while Pre-Teens would have to have more or less all the animations and interactions that child sims do, plus more.

And then, when they're inevitably not supported as well as everyone wants, people will spend a lot of time justly complaining about it, making it yet one more life stage competing for attention in future packs, meaning we're likely to get *less* for children moving forward, because they'll have to split their resources between children and pre-teens.

Basically, I see it as a noble desire that will lead to a huge mess and more dissapointment and anger from the community, so I don't see it as being worth it to open that can of worms.

But what do I know, I didn't want Infants either.
  • Options
    TartosanVigneronTartosanVigneron Posts: 24 Member
    There's certainly nothing "urgent" about the pre-teen life stage and after reading the comments I've switched from being cool with it patched in to actually opposed to it. The problems people seem to have with the current life stages seem mostly cosmetic and adding an entirely new life stage just doesn't make sense in the context of the game's overall lifespanI . If there is a problem at all, it's that teens seem too mature, but teenagehood is so unique IRL because it's a relatively short period of your life during which development and maturity drastically across individuals. I actually think teen milestones would have been a better solution. HSY was basically a missed opportunity to revamp the teen phase but here we are.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,236 Member
    edited April 2023
    What preteen sims would do exactly ?

Romance (1st crush) ? That is not possible, LGBT romance for 12yo child is probably banned.

I see no gameplay to add to the game with this life stage :
    • Begins to show signs of puberty such as oily skin, increased sweating and hair growth
    • Better sense of their personality and navigate their social surroundings.
    • Thinking power develops. Question everything and able to compare everything. Remember things and react accordingly.
    • Have his opinions and goals.
    • Understand the consequences of his actions.
    • Able to differentiate between right and wrong.
    • There is a little anxiety and a sense of fear.
    • Sense of differentiating between genders.

Newborn, infant, toddler and child have their own gameplay but preteen has nothing special to offer.

Cons of a new body size :
    • Lack of CAS content like TS2/TS3 teens
    • Tons of new animations to create
    • "Stretched" bug
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    pvrescue1pvrescue1 Posts: 61 Member
    No. Why would I pay up to 40 bucks to make a life stage at least somewhat useful?
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Sorry I have no interest for the addition of this life stage.

• Options
    SimsStarfishSimsStarfish Posts: 147 Member
    Pre teens could come as an update before/with a bands/musical artist pack.
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    And only if they also patch in a proper senior lifestage to follow adult into retirement.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,977 Member
    Other (comment)
    I would buy clothes and stuff for preteens, but I would want the preteens to come in a free update, otherwise we wouldn’t be able to get more clothes for them. As it is, they would probably have the least clothes of all age groups because they would be making appearance so late.
  • Options
    MichelleWMichelleW Posts: 665 Member
    What preteen sims would do exactly ?

Romance (1st crush) ? That is not possible, LGBT romance for 12yo child is probably banned.

I see no gameplay to add to the game with this life stage :
    • Begins to show signs of puberty such as oily skin, increased sweating and hair growth
    • Better sense of their personality and navigate their social surroundings.
    • Thinking power develops. Question everything and able to compare everything. Remember things and react accordingly.
    • Have his opinions and goals.
    • Understand the consequences of his actions.
    • Able to differentiate between right and wrong.
    • There is a little anxiety and a sense of fear.
    • Sense of differentiating between genders.

Newborn, infant, toddler and child have their own gameplay but preteen has nothing special to offer.

Cons of a new body size :
    • Lack of CAS content like TS2/TS3 teens
    • Tons of new animations to create
    • "Stretched" bug

Unfortunately I must agree. I would rather the team put the effort into creating things we don't have yet such as hotels and bands or expanding on more useful parts of gameplay like travel and social interactions.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited April 2023
    I’d buy pre teens pack in a heartbeat!
    Bring it on😎 i fell in love with infants unexpectedly. I might fall in love with preteens
    Post edited by Babykittyjade on
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    hely0thely0t Posts: 345 Member
    Other (comment)
    Depends what they did with it. The children look 8-12 years of age so they're already preteen to me. Instead I'd want an early teen stage of 13-16, mainly. The teens look far too old for that age and the children look far too young for it. This isn't a suggestion or a request, just thoughts! I just don't like how kids go from looking 10 to 17. Considering it's a game about raising tiny virtual people, the fact there aren't more life stages with a variety of things that happen in those life stages, I find a bit odd.

To me, the life stages would be...

Newborn: 0-5 months - tiny screamer
    Infant: 8-12mths - slightly larger tiny crawler
    Toddler: 2-3y - omg it's properly mobile now
    Child: 5-7y - first years of school

Then...

Preteen: 8-12y - pubescent nightmare approaching
    Early teen: 13-15y - hates everything
    Late teen: 16-18y - can't wait to move out

And finally...

Young adult: 21-28y - moved out
    Adult: 30-40y - making their own messy lives
    "Midlife crisis": 45+ - when the kids are telling their parents they're "not leaving the house wearing that"
    Retirement: 65+ - grandkids galore
    Elders: 80+ - one foot in the grave

But I understand that kinda thing would be a lot to add to the game, and again they're only my silly little thoughts!

Two of my Sims are going to be grandparents soon, first time I've ever had grandparent Sims, but they're adults and the one expecting is obviously a young adult, and I don't want the grandparents-to-be to become elders yet, so not having extra life stages between young adult and elder is also kind of annoying.

Having said all this, I just change their outfits and their looks to suit how old I see them, so having another life stage isn't really necessary to me. Would be cool but *shrug* not really fussed overall.
    "You've got a face, I've got a face, it's all gonna be alright." - Noel Fielding
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    hely0t wrote: »
    Preteen: 8-12y - pubescent nightmare approaching
    Early teen: 13-15y - hates everything
    Late teen: 16-18y - can't wait to move out

GP05 Parenthood, Teen childhood phases :
    • Distant
    • Loud
    • Mean Streak
    • Picky Eater
    • Rebellious

Basically it's about recycling the existing gameplay.

I still think the Child/Teen gameplay is weak compared to The Sims 2 and 3, I would prefer that Maxis improve it.
  • Options
    auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    I want a life stage between kids and teens because our teens are just adults renamed teens. They are the same height and can do pretty much everything an adult can and it's hard to tell a teen from an adult. I know in real life that teens can be as tall or taller than their parents but this is a game and I think there should be a distinction between them.

Kids look like they are 8-10 and teens look 17-30. We are missing 10-17 and it's weird to watch a kid grow up into an adult overnight. The gap is especially jarring after getting the infant update. Now we have newborns, infants, toddlers, children, and adults (Teens - elders are all are the same height and wear the same clothes may as well be all in one life stage)...

I want a pre-teen stage that comes with their own clothing. Think of places like Justice, and Frankie's in the park. Hairstyles for that age group as well. Things with butterfly clips, scrunchies, hair clips, and headbands.

Gameplay - They should still like to play with toys sometimes but are also starting to like makeup, girls/boys, fashion trends, sports, and what their peers think. They are in the stage of wanting to grow up but also still trying to hold on to their childhood. They are listening to their friends more but still want their parent's guidance. Rebellious streaks, Slumber parties, and after-school activities become important.

I could brainstorm all day about all the possibilities. I don't know if EA will ever add this life stage but I hope they at least make teens shorter or more distinguished in the Sims 5.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Kids look like they are 8-10 and teens look 17-30. We are missing 10-17 and it's weird to watch a kid grow up into an adult overnight.

In term of age I would say it misses 12-15 (Middle school).

IRL teens can look like young adult when they have a beard.

"Harrison Cerami, 15, banned from class for refusing to shave off his beard"

articl10.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    The Human life stages from wikipedia :
    • Toddler : 1 - 3 (2 years)
    • Child : 3 - 14 (11 years) (includes Preschooler and Preteen)
    • Teen : 14 - 19 (5 years)

The Sims 4 is more realistic than the previous games because it also follows the growth chart.
    For example the growth chart for boys :
    • Toddler (3yo) : 1m
    • Child (9yo) : 1.45m
    • Teen (16yo) : 1.85m (Almost adult height)

64u760dhuyew.jpeg

lbusltiig49o.png
  • Options
    LSM36LSM36 Posts: 593 Member
    I want a life stage between kids and teens because our teens are just adults renamed teens. They are the same height and can do pretty much everything an adult can and it's hard to tell a teen from an adult. I know in real life that teens can be as tall or taller than their parents but this is a game and I think there should be a distinction between them.

Kids look like they are 8-10 and teens look 17-30. We are missing 10-17 and it's weird to watch a kid grow up into an adult overnight. The gap is especially jarring after getting the infant update. Now we have newborns, infants, toddlers, children, and adults (Teens - elders are all are the same height and wear the same clothes may as well be all in one life stage)...

I want a pre-teen stage that comes with their own clothing. Think of places like Justice, and Frankie's in the park. Hairstyles for that age group as well. Things with butterfly clips, scrunchies, hair clips, and headbands.

Gameplay - They should still like to play with toys sometimes but are also starting to like makeup, girls/boys, fashion trends, sports, and what their peers think. They are in the stage of wanting to grow up but also still trying to hold on to their childhood. They are listening to their friends more but still want their parent's guidance. Rebellious streaks, Slumber parties, and after-school activities become important.

I could brainstorm all day about all the possibilities. I don't know if EA will ever add this life stage but I hope they at least make teens shorter or more distinguished in the Sims 5.

The way Preteens would be the best excuse to bring back Y2k core aesthetics in certain ways. Like they had that 90s inspired kit that was kinda...meh.
    But the clips you mentioned, slap bracelets, glittery peeling nail polish, patched jeans, stickers, puffy paint at the creativity table. Scented markers that give moodlets.
    Like yeah they're older but some of the most distinct parts about being a Preteen are that blend of childishness and desire to be older, since you're on the threshold of teenhood.

Plus it'd be fun to have a mix of stuff from various recent decades available to the kids. And while I am obviously biased I think in terms of dressing up a sim, the cute clothes from the 90s&00s are top tier. Just ignore all the dumpster fire options. Focus on the gauchos and platform sandal resurgence.

Maybe they could even add new shows to the TV. Like a Saturday morning cartoon like channel. Llama Rangers (Power Rangers), Fighting Fairies (Winx), Groggy the Horned Frog (Sonic). Oh and anime! And like the Teen TV channel and to make it more realistic, Preteens are more interested in watching that channel than actual Teenagers. And then Teenagers once they age up only watch it rarely, or teen programs on regular channels and music videos. While the Preteens also spend less time watching Kids network, but still enjoy their Saturday Morning/all day Cartoons.

It could end up being something that when the sim is an adult and they turn on the channel they get a nostalgia moodlet, or if it was a show they didn't like, they'll get a moodlet reflecting that.
    Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,140 Member
    Other (comment)
    I'd rather the teams concentrate on fixing bugs and glitches, than embarking on creating another Life Stage. I'm very happy with the new infants and would like to spend more time with them before adding tweens/teens to the mix. The teens in my game have their own hairstyles and outfits so they are easily recognized as teens while wandering around the worlds. I also keep them slimmer than the YAs. And it is easy to change their voices so they sound younger, which can be changed again when they reach the YA stage. The height difference doesn't matter to me because my own kids are all taller than me and have been since they were fourteen. Parenthood brought mood swings, self-doubt, and angst that affects Sim teens and it's up to the Sim parents to help guide them through these changes. I was pleasantly surprised by how well that was handled in Parenthood. I feel there isn't very much to add to what is already in the game and have no idea what more could be added that wouldn't negatively affect the game. A Parenthood refresh could make a difference in some ways, I guess. But I wouldn't pay for another pack centered around another life stage when I am able to create teens that look and sound like real ones myself.
  • Options
    ArcaArca Posts: 183 Member
    I think preteen should be updated in base game, like infants.
    Preteens can take care younger siblings and cook by themselves. Instead of high school, they should go to middle school / junior high school and cannot drop out (in some countries, junior high education is compulsory)
    Some more puberty features can be added, such as first period, development of secondary sexual characteristics, growing pain, first crush, voice crack etc
    EA has employed the creator of preteen mod last year. I hope they're doing something on official preteens.