Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

1 story or More Stories

With Toddlers, (pre-patch) I hated homes with second stories just because it took so long for a toddler to go up or down or be picked up or needs satisfied with stairs. Mostly because you can't do anything to or for them on the stairs. I can't tell you how many times I got a toddler removed from the house because they were starving and things mis-queued or the toddler was upstairs and the parent downstairs when a need was low. I changed over to primarily one-story homes for families with infants and a mix of all types for families with kids and teens. Do you find that with toddlers (old or new) it causes the same issues? (I haven't played with them yet) What type of homes do y'all choose for homes with infants and toddlers?
"Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame

Comments

• Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Two story homes can work out great as long as you have the toddler/infant bedroom on the ground floor. It cuts down on all the stair hassles because the parents can go down the stairs more quickly than a toddler. Then once the toddler ages up to a child, that room can be converted into an office or a hobby room.
  • Options
    joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    In my game, the adult or older kids tend to be upstairs a lot. The toddler wants to be around them, so they head up when they are able. I thought I read somewhere that there is supposed to be a child gate. I haven't looked yet.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Spellcaster + Transportalate always on (though you do need to get to adept to unlock that)

And then it's no longer an issue.

I'm also not above just hauling food out of the fridge and plonking it down in front of the toddler.
    Or giving all my toddlers the Independant trait.

we'll have to see how much that changes with Infants.
  • Options
    I always forget that the independent trait does that. I use the plonk food method myself. :)
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Now that we have a slide in the treehouse, maybe they could adapt it as a sort of stairs to be used indoors by our sims, especially the slow moving ones? Pets could use it too.
  • Options
    I like that idea. And for the pool.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    I have a toddler in a small two story home, and don’t have much problems with her, she is learning to climb, but it is still faster fo pick the toddler up and carry her up and down stairs. Most of the day is spent downstairs ( the bathroom kitchen and living room are there ).
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    I've had three toddlers living in a two-story house, their bedrooms upstairs. I generally have an adult Sim fix a meal and then call to meal. I do put the Potty chairs in the individual bedrooms, to take care of that need. This was all pre-Patch, however. I'll have to see what, if anything, has changed in this regard.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    FutureFuture Posts: 336 Member
    I will either "teleport here" the toddler to ground level so they can eat or drag a plate of food onto the 2nd floor. They can eat it off the floor for all I care. :D I just want them to max their skills so they can be aged up dassit!
  • Options
    3 toddlers!!??? Whoa.

Teleport. I forget about this too!
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I have a toddler in a small two story home, and don’t have much problems with her, she is learning to climb, but it is still faster fo pick the toddler up and carry her up and down stairs. Most of the day is spent downstairs ( the bathroom kitchen and living room are there ).

I do similar with my toddlers who have bedroom upstairs. They spend most of their day in the livingroom with the rest of the family, get their own food from the counter or table and have a potty on ground floor for their use. When they tire, they usually sleep on the couch or if really tired they go by themselves to their bed upstairs.
  • Options
    blaq797blaq797 Posts: 145 Member
    In this regard. I like vampires because of their teleport as mist ability [or bat]. You can have a big house and not really worry too much, because the parent is a quick port away... Although, teleporting into a sealed space and out again should be a thing... Then again, there's that weird pathing bug with throwing or cleaning up stuff too. But generally, I still like smaller houses.
    Sorry, Avatar is merely my favorite Sims 4 sim.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited March 2023
    I often like to build 2 or 3 story houses and i have few houses that have mad amount of levels

but i put all the stuff I need with toddlers (and now infants) right where they are whichever floor of the house it is

(well i also play lots of occults so forgive me if delivering toddlers food to them by magic and teleporting a little is of no issue to me :lol:)

I don't really feel that stairs are as annoying as watching my sims constantly walk walk walk in those big one story houses and get lost on my screen

and with toddlers stairs also build motor skill so once they are able to crawl them they get to explore the house for fun

it almost feels like achievement in itself like yay i can go to creepy attic now

as for my plans with infants though
    I actually might build more one story houses

its not so much the playability
    (i might even prefer them on separate level so sims get less distracted by other items nearby tbh but we will see)

its more that i don't have many one story houses yet as i've been favoring the two or more floors for so long so I am thinking I might want to do some small one story houses for a change and just like challenge myself to build something different to my other builds

nothing big though I still can't stand big one story houses I just can't
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    With toddlers, I make sure to have something for their needs on both floors. There must be a potty and some toys on each floor, and I don't use the high chair, so I just drag leftovers from the fridge for them. Sometimes my toddlers stay upstairs until their birthday...
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    I had 5 toddlers in a two-story home with their bedrooms upstairs and it was no issue. They were all able to get their skills maxed in 7 days. Their parents had no free time, but it wasn't that bad and I prefer my Sims' kids to be close together in age.

I generally had their parents bring plates of food to them and had them work on skills until their energy need was red. It helped that they could entertain one another too.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,889 Member
    My toddlers usually have a few harvestables in their inventory just in case. I'm also not above having them use the diaper or nap on ground sometimes if multiple needs are low.
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    My toddlers range throughout a 4 story (not including the basement) house with zero issues. Infants however, may be more of an issue, just had my first pair, so the jury is out on that.
  • Options
    I couldn't imagine 3 toddlers at once! I did watch James Turners 7 infants video and was cracking up the whole time.
  • Options
    Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    I have no problems with multi story homes with toddlers but I prefer no more than 2 story buildings. Haven't tried the infants yet, as the family I am playing now has no intention of adding to their family (no room really) but with toddlers I have found it easy. When toddler hood is reached I do things on two ways, depending on family dynamics.

One is that the toddler(s) live on the floor where his/her room is until they are able to walk down and up the stairs on their own. They will have both potty and a highchair situated in their room or outside their room if there is no room and the parent(s) or teens will take care of their needs there. This is the scenario if there are more than one toddlers. Twins and triplets for instance, or children born close together.

The second is that the parent(s) or others in the household will carry the toddler downstairs early in the morning and the toddler will live on the 1st floor until they are able to travel upstairs and downstairs on their own.

All of my toddlers either share a room with their parents or have rooms very near their parents, so if the parents are on the 2nd story that is where most children's room are. Teens can have their rooms anywhere on the lot.
  • Options
    I never thought about putting a high chair in their room. That makes a lot of sense!