Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rec Center

With Growing Together we're getting a new lot category, and the Rec Center actually has me excited.

But now that we had the live stream, I started wondering what is actually the features of the Rec Center lot?

I only know that our sim can go there to mentor a painting class, probably much like the yoga instructing.
We have seen elders play table games, but I guess they could do that in a regular park, too?
We've seen a variety of "services" like a playing room for infants/toddlers?, reading nook, playground, activity objects etc. But as far as I know all of those can be used on other lot categories, too.

So - please share - what is special with the Rec Center lot that we won't get at other lots? I'll still build rec centers in several of my worlds, and I plan additions not seen yet, but can I combine some of them with other lot categories without losing out on much functionality?
Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg

Comments

• Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,238 Member
    edited March 2023
    It's a place where the NPC townies must play games (table)

Of course Card game is still disabled, they won't do this autonomously.
  • Options
    RandomTokenCodeRandomTokenCode Posts: 184 Member
    edited March 2023

Do you know some actions to enable playing cards autonomously? I really need it!
  • Options
    ThetfordThetford Posts: 429 Member
    With Growing Together we're getting a new lot category, and the Rec Center actually has me excited.

But now that we had the live stream, I started wondering what is actually the features of the Rec Center lot?

I only know that our sim can go there to mentor a painting class, probably much like the yoga instructing.
    We have seen elders play table games, but I guess they could do that in a regular park, too?
    We've seen a variety of "services" like a playing room for infants/toddlers?, reading nook, playground, activity objects etc. But as far as I know all of those can be used on other lot categories, too.

So - please share - what is special with the Rec Center lot that we won't get at other lots? I'll still build rec centers in several of my worlds, and I plan additions not seen yet, but can I combine some of them with other lot categories without losing out on much functionality?

To be honest, I feel that this has been a problem with community lots since mid Sims 2. There isn't really that much unique about them. I realised this in Bon Voyage when you could complete like half your travel guide without ever having to leave your home as they were tied to objects available in the home catalogue. I miss the days of the Sims 1 and early Sims 2 where you HAD to go to community lots to engage with shops, services and NPCs you couldn't do at home.

In TS1 you could do stuff like buy clothes, cooking ingredients, quest for magical ingredients, go on picnics, go to a carnival and play games, go dining or get quick bites to eat. There were unique NPCs who offered unique services.

It feels like the only purpose to go to a community lot in TS3 and 4 is to talk to other Sims, especially true for libraries, museums, gyms and bars that don't really offer that much gameplay that you can't do at home. They are just hangout lots where Sims are more inclined to do a specific activity.

And given that people essentially just hang out outside your home all day, there isn't really any need at all visit a community lot at all.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member

This is because you can't play cards solo, you need at least one other sim to play with you.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,238 Member
    edited March 2023
    EmmaVane wrote: »

This is because you can't play cards solo, you need at least one other sim to play with you.

Same as chess, domino/rummikub and Star Wars' Sabacc.
    But the sims are able to play these other games.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,387 Member
    You can also add gym equipment to the recreation center. Frankly to me it appears like they just updated the arts academy lot type to include gym and games. I guess we'll need to wait and see what the lot requirements are and what other objects work with this lot type to get full understanding of it.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    So far, it just sort of seems like a generic lot but with the ability to hold events. Or an Eco Living Community Space without the voting.

Which doesn't seem super exciting to me, but then again, I have seen a lot of people ask for the ability to hold events on generic lots over the years, so maybe this is partially a response to that. I suppose you could, for example, designate a lot as a rec center, but design it to look like a church (lots of churches do have rec centers, after all), and then you would be able to hold events and group activities there. I wonder whether we will be able to have weddings at rec centers?

I figure I will initially leave the premade rec center as it is, and use it a bit to see whether anything else springs to mind. I'm sure other players will come up with lots of unique ideas.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,682 Member
    Ah, I forgot about the throwing party like baby shower there. That might make it worth using that lot category.

My plan is to rather make "community center", including a couple offices, a meeting room, maybe a reception desk, and a doctor office (mainly for story telling). Maybe a small craft seller market. A small library and gaming nook will still fit the bill, though. My game is organized in 8 regions, and one such center per region would be perfect. It's a plus if they vary a bit. I just need to find available lots in already packed worlds, LOL.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I plan on placing basketball hoops, ping pong tables and bowling alleys in some rec center lots. If they don't autonomously use those items at the lot type I'll make a club or two that will.
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited March 2023
    You can host various events at the rec centre like family reunions, baby showers, and sleepovers. One of the gurus on twitter (simgurunova maybe?) mentioned about the rec centre sleepovers.

Imagine hosting a rec centre sleepover with 20 of your closest pals... :o

I imagine it would also go well with Get Together for hosting various club events/gatherings since it's a general public space that can be customized to suit your needs/wants depending on the club type.
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    Now that I think about it....

Making an area in the rec centre for hosting sleepovers might be fun!

- a large private room with space for plenty of sleeping bags
    - a sitting area with a massive big screen tv for watching movies
    - a small kitchenette with popcorn machine, microwave, dining table, etc
    - speaker/stereo/jukebox for playing music and dancing
    - a bathroom to fulfill toilet/hygiene needs
    - access to a fenced in private area with a firepit for roasting marshmallows
    - or instead of an indoor movie watching space, use the outdoor makeshift tv from the Little Campers kit
    - I wonder if our sims can order in pizza at the rec centre?
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    My plan is to rather make "community center", including a couple offices, a meeting room, maybe a reception desk, and a doctor office (mainly for story telling).

You know, come to think of it, it wouldn't be a bad place to put a small office with veterinary equipment, too. At the very least your vets could pop in occasionally to stock a retail freezer with wellness treats, so that your other sims could buy them while they're there.
  • Options
    RandomTokenCodeRandomTokenCode Posts: 184 Member
    edited March 2023
    I imagine it would also go well with Get Together for hosting various club events/gatherings since it's a general public space that can be customized to suit your needs/wants depending on the club type.

You inspired me. When I have clubs that need to meet in a specific venue, they occupy most of the sim limit on the lot, especially for some functional venues like a library for no computer family. They can do more in line with the club than being influenced by the auto actions of the lot.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,895 Member
    I also like the club idea. I have several npc clubs with member sims that rarely show up anywhere in the game. A swim club that meets at pools. An elder club that meets at the park to grill. Just makes the community venues seem more lively.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,909 Member
    @Amapola76 That is a great idea to make it over as a church. Some super-conservative people might find it offensive to have card-playing autonomy in a church, but I am not those people, and I've been wishing for a long time to have something that feels like church in my game without having to deal with mods.

Maybe I'll do a build based on my real-life church, with a hangout area downstairs, kitchen, food pantry where sims can contribute food/ingredients to fridges and bakery cases, and then the sanctuary upstairs.
  • Options
    RedShoe7RedShoe7 Posts: 705 Member
    I also like the club idea. I have several npc clubs with member sims that rarely show up anywhere in the game. A swim club that meets at pools. An elder club that meets at the park to grill. Just makes the community venues seem more lively.

Have you had any issues with sims drowning during swim club? I don't mean to be morbid but I'm building a pool for Oasis Springs and thought of making a swim club but I'm afraid the sims will just keep swimming until they die. :|
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,895 Member
    @RedShoe7 I've had the swim club in game for quite a long time and haven't had any deaths. They're always there when my playable Sims visit the pool.
  • Options
    RedShoe7RedShoe7 Posts: 705 Member
    @RedShoe7 I've had the swim club in game for quite a long time and haven't had any deaths. They're always there when my playable Sims visit the pool.

Thank you, that's good to know!
  • Options
    UniqueKhaosUniqueKhaos Posts: 470 Member
    I have been working on a rec center since I learned this would be a new lot type. I will definitely be creating groups to meet there to make it more lively. So far I’ve only created a dance group. With all the things that I want to add, I’m feeling like I probably should’ve selected a bigger lot. But now I’m too invested in this design. I may make a multipurpose room for parties and such.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    I think the biggest plus of the rec center is that sims younger than children will show up there. There are no other lot types in the game where sims that young appear automatically.
  • Options
    IceyJ wrote: »
    I think the biggest plus of the rec center is that sims younger than children will show up there. There are no other lot types in the game where sims that young appear automatically.

That's a good point!
  • Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    @Amapola76 and @mightysprite you have both inspired me to make the church I attended growing up for my sims! The basement of the church was used for functions (meals, meetings, etc) and had a small kitchen area with appliances that volunteers would use to cook/bake. Toys, puzzles, coloring and such were used for Sunday school for the children. and a lot of churches have bingo, which we don't have in sims so why not use the game table with all the activities instead?
  • Options
    Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 762 Member
    Does anybody know if they’ve mentioned the art classes again?
  • Options
    Does anybody know if they’ve mentioned the art classes again?

I did watch the full stream (not hearing all for the first 10 minutes though, but that was BG update, not pack). I don't think they mentioned the art classes.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,982 Member
    Ah, I forgot about the throwing party like baby shower there. That might make it worth using that lot category.

My plan is to rather make "community center", including a couple offices, a meeting room, maybe a reception desk, and a doctor office (mainly for story telling). Maybe a small craft seller market. A small library and gaming nook will still fit the bill, though. My game is organized in 8 regions, and one such center per region would be perfect. It's a plus if they vary a bit. I just need to find available lots in already packed worlds, LOL.
    I have malls and other community lots that I can change into many types of lots, library, bar, lounge, nightclub, park, retail etc., even one that has a fake water park (pool). I have a few I found on the gallery, and then a hospital/mall that I made using various rooms I found on the gallery. Currently I have 4 malls in my main save. One in Oasis springs, one in Del Sol Valley, one in Magnolia promenade, and one in Willow creek. I also have some smaller “shopping center type ones. Like in strangerville I have a cafe lot with a cafe and attached to that a small gym. and a laundromat. I like making some of my community lots where more than one activity can be done. I have an office building with a waiting area/bathrooms:play center for toddlers on one floor, a second floor for my computer techs, a third floor for my CEO, another floor for my secret agent. And, there is a cafe, and I made it a cafe lot so there will be other people show up to the lot, I even have a fancy CEO suite my CEO can stay over in. In City living I took the salt house and changed it a bit so I could have an ( eco living ) community market place/garden/maker space, and then added a science area, and meeting room and debate room. I have fun making and/of downloading lots with multi-purposes.

So the rec center should fit in great!