Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Potential return of Wants and Fears in High School Years

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,400 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    I think what I'm hoping for is that like whims, if you roll up a fear that you think is out of character or doesn't make the sim interesting, you can dismiss it until you roll something that fits. I don't mind the idea of *having* to have an active fear or three, I just want some way to change what it is.

Like a fear of the dark could be interesting, but if I need my sim out and about at 1 in the morning (hunting something that only blooms at night, like moonflowers or Nightly Mushrooms), I don't need them stopping to cower in fear/have to cancel them running in panic every five steps - possibly dropping the intended action from the queue. I have enough trouble keeping sims on track at times as it is, so adding this isn't interesting, it's annoying, especially if I feel that being afraid of the dark to the point of panic attacks is out of character for the sim.

In the Sims 2, Fears were never like that: fears were not as small as "scared of the dark" and they never hindered or caused roadblocks in terms of the interaction queue. They were big events like a fire, getting burglarized, getting cheated on, losing a friend, etc. The main consequence was the "aspiration failure" state that would last 30 seconds and would only happen if you Sim is really unhappy and you complete a fear. Pesonally, I like consequences - the Sims 4 needs much more of them. But in the Sims 2 there were cheats to prevent decay of the aspiration bar from platinum which effectively turned off this feature for people who didn't want it.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited July 2022
    good to know these will be base game systems I was very worried there
    (although still worried the wants and fears maybe kinda same for all sims regardless of traits therefore meh)

but now I just need to know what exactly they are adding for romantic preference

looking forward to having my gay sims actually be gay
    instead of falling for everyone that crosses their path

interesting to see if they added asexual/aromantic preferences
    (and if those are actually like separate cause not all ace are aro and other way around)
    and also how this will work for sims that are not particularily any gender
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    This thing would be so useful. IF it is true.

That said, I wouldn't mind them fixing the likes/dislikes. I have two Sims in a household that dislikes dancing, and I literally have to lock the door for them, or they'll go to the radio and start dancing, and getting tense.

Likes and Dislikes don't seem to impact the AI. It just causes a stressed moodlet to pop up and fun to go down. Given the AI in TS4 really needs work, the addition of the feature really seems like a missed opportunity to improve it.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    edited July 2022

An attraction system and wants & fears. This is unexpected.

For the former, I really hope there is some way to auto-assign this throughout all Sims in the town. Kind of like NRAAS Sims 3 mods. Me having to set this myself for every Sim is a level of micromanagement that I don't want.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    I think what I'm hoping for is that like whims, if you roll up a fear that you think is out of character or doesn't make the sim interesting, you can dismiss it until you roll something that fits. I don't mind the idea of *having* to have an active fear or three, I just want some way to change what it is.

Like a fear of the dark could be interesting, but if I need my sim out and about at 1 in the morning (hunting something that only blooms at night, like moonflowers or Nightly Mushrooms), I don't need them stopping to cower in fear/have to cancel them running in panic every five steps - possibly dropping the intended action from the queue. I have enough trouble keeping sims on track at times as it is, so adding this isn't interesting, it's annoying, especially if I feel that being afraid of the dark to the point of panic attacks is out of character for the sim.

We could delete them in TS3, couldn't we? I definitely remember being able to delete them in at least one previous version.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    But are sims still considered male or female after changes to CAS? Will you be able to select a sex or like a thousand ticks (attracted to female body shape, female clothes, female hair etc). I wonder if they will let you select a sex at all. I know some games go sexless period, I dont like that at all. I am female, not just "female shaped". Do not erase my sex. That is a big pet peeve of mine. Edit: Not saying sims does this, just hoping they dont.
    Agreed, I want to select sex. But I'd love the ability to select an attraction to clothing and body shapes on top of that. Just so my sims can be attracted to big muscular men in miniskirts and cheerleader outfits.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    This might revive TS4 for me, so L'll wait I don't wanna get my hopes up.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    @EA_Cade Wants and fears are officially confirmed in the live stream. Let's move this out of the speculation forum please?
  • Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,336 EA Community Manager
    Haha, I was looking for it so thank you for the @.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    Welp. As someone who plays her game around the whims, -rubs hands together vigorously- LET'S SEE HOW THIS GOES!
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Yup still curious about it, they did not go in depth about it. I miss Maxis Monthly for that reason.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    RoseQuartzRoseQuartz Posts: 164 Member
    edited July 2022
    Gordy wrote: »
    But are sims still considered male or female after changes to CAS? Will you be able to select a sex or like a thousand ticks (attracted to female body shape, female clothes, female hair etc). I wonder if they will let you select a sex at all. I know some games go sexless period, I dont like that at all. I am female, not just "female shaped". Do not erase my sex. That is a big pet peeve of mine. Edit: Not saying sims does this, just hoping they dont.
    Agreed, I want to select sex. But I'd love the ability to select an attraction to clothing and body shapes on top of that. Just so my sims can be attracted to big muscular men in miniskirts and cheerleader outfits.

I believe in Sims 2, you were able to choose attraction elements like body type, hair color, and eye color. I always set up the couples I wanted to be together so that they'd be attracted to each other.

It'd be nice to be able to do that again.
  • Options
    nasch_katzenasch_katze Posts: 193 Member
    I couldn't watch the stream. What was actually shown?
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,877 Member
    From a video I watched it looks like it’s gameplay induced. I thought we could set up fears at least in CAS….
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »
    From a video I watched it looks like it’s gameplay induced. I thought we could set up fears at least in CAS….

Yikes! That's what I was afraid of, gonna turn out just like Sentiments and Lifestyles, and more than likely be super random, over the top, and not really relevant to the actual sim .... and I'm almost positive I'll be modding it to either tweak it or shut it off, just like I have to with the others.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    The livestream didn't go into fears as deeply as I'd hoped, but they appeared to be essentially traits you got based on circumstance, and then have the opportunity to "confront" them and get rid of them.

But they also seem like the sort of thing that would be hard to show off in the livestream and better suited for a blog, so I'm going to hope we get one.
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,656 Member
    I’m all for more complexity, but this was one of my least favorite aspects of TS2. The fears, especially, were artificially driving way too much of my Sims’ stories and I didn’t enjoy having to always deal with their anxieties in order to get on with it. I mean, none of my intelligent musician sims should have been living in fear of getting abducted by aliens. I hope these are less aggressive and more general so they don’t conflict with the personalities I’ve established for my sims.
  • Options
    airmanairman Posts: 18 Member
    I'm hopeful about this system. But I'm basically of the opinion that I'm going to wait and see if I want to use it.