Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Potential return of Wants and Fears in High School Years

Comments

• Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    As a huge Sims 2 fan this makes me wary. Because the sims 2 system was so good, the sims 4 just won’t live up to that.
    Sims 2 what’s and fears were tied to their hobbies, aspiration, relationships and personality. Sims 4 sims aren’t that deep sadly. For example all my sims end up with the cooking hobby. My sim that dislikes gaming spends much of her time…gaming. Sims 2 was a lot deeper.

As much as I would love wants and fears in the sims 4, I worry it will be super shallow. Like all teens will get a fear of say being rejected for asking someone to prom. And yes that’s a legitimate fear, if all the sims get it then it’s not unique. Whims are so poorly done in the sims 4 they were disabled. All sims get a whim to buy new boxes in spring, children get whims to do laundry and my sim with a cat who has a vampire aspiration gets whims every other day to buy a cat litter box.

If we are getting wants and fears and it does deepen our sims personalities and make them them more unique and interesting I will be very pleasantly surprised.

I like whims because they are optional, you can fulfill them or not, it's up to you, with no consequence on the sims if you don't. My sims do get interesting whims, some I fulfill, some not. If I remember correctly, wants in TS2 weren't optional, and neither were fears. Now imagine you have a vampire who is afraid of the dark.

I'm not sure what you mean when you suggest Sims 2 Wants and Fears "weren't optional."

You can't avoid the consequences if they are filled but we could lock them.

so2bfa10.jpg
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,960 Member
    edited July 2022
    they're talking so many things i always considered should be base game update that tbh I'm getting worried some of it isn't

like for example i wouldn't want something like wants and fears to be pack only because then our sims are stuck with just wanting and fearing things in that particular pack
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,383 Member
    As a huge Sims 2 fan this makes me wary. Because the sims 2 system was so good, the sims 4 just won’t live up to that.
    Sims 2 what’s and fears were tied to their hobbies, aspiration, relationships and personality. Sims 4 sims aren’t that deep sadly. For example all my sims end up with the cooking hobby. My sim that dislikes gaming spends much of her time…gaming. Sims 2 was a lot deeper.

As much as I would love wants and fears in the sims 4, I worry it will be super shallow. Like all teens will get a fear of say being rejected for asking someone to prom. And yes that’s a legitimate fear, if all the sims get it then it’s not unique. Whims are so poorly done in the sims 4 they were disabled. All sims get a whim to buy new boxes in spring, children get whims to do laundry and my sim with a cat who has a vampire aspiration gets whims every other day to buy a cat litter box.

If we are getting wants and fears and it does deepen our sims personalities and make them them more unique and interesting I will be very pleasantly surprised.

I like whims because they are optional, you can fulfill them or not, it's up to you, with no consequence on the sims if you don't. My sims do get interesting whims, some I fulfill, some not. If I remember correctly, wants in TS2 weren't optional, and neither were fears. Now imagine you have a vampire who is afraid of the dark.

I'm not sure what you mean when you suggest Sims 2 Wants and Fears "weren't optional."

Just that. With whims you get some points to buy rewards if you fulfill them and the choice is yours, but the wants and fears affected your sim and his behaviour and you had not much control over them, if you didn't fulfill a whish they got sad, if they fulfilled a fear, they got sad again. You couldn't just ignore them if you didn't like them.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    This is TS4 we're talking about, so my 1st thought was "Oh man, this will probably be ridiculously maxed out just like everything else is, over the top and to the extreme!" Pretty sure, it'll just be one more thing I'll have to find a mod for to adjust it so it makes sense.

I don't want them to be randomly assigned to sims from actions they do or don't do, like sentiments and lifestyles are. I want to be able to choose what they are for individual sims. I also want them to actually react accordingly if they have them assigned to them (unlike the likes/dislikes that doesn't autonomously stop your sim from doing the activity, they still do it but get a negative moodlet because of it. I don't even bother setting them after the first time I tried it.

But again, this is TS4, so it will probably disappoint those people who's been wanting them, because well .... nothing in TS4 is very deep and meaningful. It always sounds good on paper but the execution is always lacking.

• Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,841 Member
    edited July 2022
    I never got the opportunity to play TS2 and I often feel like I missed out on something special. I'd love to see this and more make a return to the franchise. Even if I'm mostly happy with TS4, a sort of early days "The Sims:Greatest Hits" being added would be fantastic. A chance to at least experience a small sample of that magic. Dare to dream....
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I was decidedly on the "no, it's just misleading marketing" train until I rewatched the clip and he very specifically says "it's time to face your fear of people judging you," and then the stress on "getting what you WANT." Let's just put it this way, if this ISN'T a sign these are coming back, this is the most misleading ad of all time.

100% this xD
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    If this is a basegame update, it better comes with an opt-out button for the reasons @Chicklet453681 mentioned. I don't want the game to guess what my sim might crave or be afraid of or, worse, dictate it for me.

The only advantage wants/fears have over whims is that Sims 2 sims can get trained to some extent. Fulfill a want often enough, and they become more likely to roll it again. Ignore it and eventually they'll get the message and stop rolling it. (Except "xy goes to college", good luck getting rid of that one without a mod. Also hobby wants... It's easier to train cats out of getting into the bed than a sim out of wanting to catch insects after they've done it even for a single time.)
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

Interesting if true. According to that it appears that 'coming out' will now be a thing too. I like the idea, but I'm going to keep a rein on my enthusiasm until I see or hear confirmation from a Guru. That and see how it's going to work.

ETA: I took the bait and read on. It seems we'll be able to set preferences based on both romantic and physical attraction. If it's true.
  • Options
    auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    edited July 2022
    like whims because they are optional, you can fulfill them or not, it's up to you, with no consequence on the sims if you don't. My sims do get interesting whims, some I fulfill, some not. If I remember correctly, wants in TS2 weren't optional, and neither were fears. Now imagine you have a vampire who is afraid of the dark.

In sims 2, they are optional too and they do not get sad if you don't fulfill the wants only if a fear is fulfilled. You do not have to fulfill them. You can lock wants and fears in the sims 2 because they will get different ones throughout the day and night depending on what is happening around them, their aspirations, and hobbies. I personally like the sims 2 wants and fears system because all my sims want to do different things and they don't only center around buying things.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,398 Member
    I never got the opportunity to play TS2 and I often feel like I missed out on something special. I'd love to see this and more make a return to the franchise. Even if I'm mostly happy with TS4, a sort of early days "The Sims:Greatest Hits" being added would be fantastic. A chance to at least experience a small sample of that magic. Dare to dream....

You can still play the Sims 2. I played yesterday! :)
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,398 Member

Just that. With whims you get some points to buy rewards if you fulfill them and the choice is yours, but the wants and fears affected your sim and his behaviour and you had not much control over them, if you didn't fulfill a whish they got sad, if they fulfilled a fear, they got sad again. You couldn't just ignore them if you didn't like them.

I think for me as a wants-based player, the Wants & Fears system is so foundational to how I play I never really considered this perspective and how it would be undesirable to someone else.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    Couldn't they just put the wants and fears with the likes/dislikes allowing us to pick which things they want and fear? That was my first thought anyways.

I hope not. I'm tired of having to micromanage my sims, I want them to have a mind of their own. At least a little bit.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    I think what I'm hoping for is that like whims, if you roll up a fear that you think is out of character or doesn't make the sim interesting, you can dismiss it until you roll something that fits. I don't mind the idea of *having* to have an active fear or three, I just want some way to change what it is.

Like a fear of the dark could be interesting, but if I need my sim out and about at 1 in the morning (hunting something that only blooms at night, like moonflowers or Nightly Mushrooms), I don't need them stopping to cower in fear/have to cancel them running in panic every five steps - possibly dropping the intended action from the queue. I have enough trouble keeping sims on track at times as it is, so adding this isn't interesting, it's annoying, especially if I feel that being afraid of the dark to the point of panic attacks is out of character for the sim.

• Options
    PhilSimsPhilSims Posts: 190 Member
    There are four new teen-specific aspirations: Live Fast, Drama Llama, Admired Icon, and Goal Oriented. Each follows a different teen trope and impacts the new Wants and Fears system (which is coming as part of the coinciding base game update). A spiritual successor to the abandoned Whims system, Wants and Fears are moment-to-moment goals that are more personal to the particular Sim. For instance, a Goal Oriented Sim may fear failing an upcoming exam or not achieving their dreams.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:K7QeDatlJdoJ:https://www.cbr.com/sims-4-high-school-years-expansion-preview-ea/+&cd=1&hl=bs&ct=clnk&gl=ba

If you try to go to the CBR page directly there's a 404, possibly posted a bit too early!!
  • Options
    I think what I'm hoping for is that like whims, if you roll up a fear that you think is out of character or doesn't make the sim interesting, you can dismiss it until you roll something that fits. I don't mind the idea of *having* to have an active fear or three, I just want some way to change what it is.

Like a fear of the dark could be interesting, but if I need my sim out and about at 1 in the morning (hunting something that only blooms at night, like moonflowers or Nightly Mushrooms), I don't need them stopping to cower in fear/have to cancel them running in panic every five steps - possibly dropping the intended action from the queue. I have enough trouble keeping sims on track at times as it is, so adding this isn't interesting, it's annoying, especially if I feel that being afraid of the dark to the point of panic attacks is out of character for the sim.

They said in the clip that Kevin needs to face and overcome his fear, so I don't think this is something permanent, maybe like the lifestyles, you gain them and you lose them.
  • Options

That sounds very interesting, now can't wait for the live stream, hope they will go over these features as well.
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    As someone who didn't play Sims 2, my biggest concern is that people are going to be expecting Sims 2 Wants and Fears to be grafted onto Sims 4 Aspirations, and - at least from what I understand - that's not going to work the way people want it to.

The idea itself does seem interesting, and I know the sims team will have tried their best to work as much as they could in, but the AI is only so smart.

I'm a big Sims 2 fan and still play it. The Sims 2 is the model. It's not concerning to me that people expect Sims 2 as the standard because it is the standard. It will be judged based on that.

Also the Aspirations and Wants/Fears are not the same and the systems should reference each other. The aspiration category (Romance, Friendship, Family, etc.) drives the core wants and fears rolled.

That's not quite my point. The Aspirations work differently, the categories are less broad and there are more of them. Expecting Wants and Fears to work with Aspirations the way they did in Sims 2 is likely setting yourself up for disappointment. Because the Aspiration System is different, the way Wants and Fears are generated based on Aspirations will likely be different.

Some Aspiration groups are suitably narrow that having Wants/Fears based on Aspiration families will make sense (Animal, Fortune, Culinary) Others are so broad based it will make less sense - for example, Knowledge. A sim with the Master Spellcaster aspiration getting a want to ... build a Rocket doesn't really support their Aspiration, and is likely to be out of character. A sim with the Musician Aspiration likewise shouldn't get a fear of being grabbed by the Fabricator - it's a ridiculously easy fear to avoid, especially if there's no fabricator in the house.

The easiest solution is to also tie them to skills your sim has.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options

As well, will we get interesting whims?

Buying a bee box is not interesting. Divorcing your husband, having a child, quitting your job, getting In a fight, ask someone out etc. Those are all Wants I would like my sim to have. I want my sims to control their own stories sometimes. I'm tired of having to create every storyline and using make believe.
  • Options

I would much want fears to change on a whim rather than being permanent fears.

For example, you meet a werewolf. Your sim rolls a fear of being attacked by a werewolf. Because you were in that situation, your fear changed.
  • Options

As well, will we get interesting whims?

Buying a bee box is not interesting. Divorcing your husband, having a child, quitting your job, getting In a fight, ask someone out etc. Those are all Wants I would like my sim to have. I want my sims to control their own stories sometimes. I'm tired of having to create every storyline and using make believe.

Sims already do get whims for having a baby and going on a date.
  • Options

You can still play the Sims 2. I played yesterday! :)

I haven't seen it for sale anywhere. I'd definitely get a copy if I ever found it.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I hope they will be as easy to roll as they are with whims and not mostly out of our control like werewolf temperaments. I love the temperaments but I want the final say on what ones they have so that they have the personality I want. I created them with a thought in mind of what their personality is, not what I hope it becomes. That's the negative with temperaments, and my big worry with fears. That the game is going to try to dictate to us what our sims will be, and have to waste hours of gameplay that have no bearing on the story we were telling, trying to conquer a fear we never wanted them to have in the first place. NPC and premades can have whatever, unless or until I decide to play them, then I want control over their personality to make it fit my needs.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited July 2022
    But its also Sims 4 so if the wants/fears are inconsequential then they lose weight to them. If theyre "optional" then they wont really matter. Its good that they can add some sort of chemistry system, I should be able to determine what sex my sim is attracted to. I wonder how "set" or strict those will be. But are sims still considered male or female after changes to CAS? Will you be able to select a sex or like a thousand ticks (attracted to female body shape, female clothes, female hair etc). I wonder if they will let you select a sex at all. I know some games go sexless period, I dont like that at all. I am female, not just "female shaped". Do not erase my sex. That is a big pet peeve of mine. Edit: Not saying sims does this, just hoping they dont.

Nevertheless, sounds like both systems could add to the game, but it wont ever really be like Sims 2, so I cant really say It would return me to the game. But for supporters of Sims 4 who wants it, good for them.
    Post edited by StrawberryYogurt on
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    NightwalkerArkanisNightwalkerArkanis Posts: 272 Member
    This thing would be so useful. IF it is true.

That said, I wouldn't mind them fixing the likes/dislikes. I have two Sims in a household that dislikes dancing, and I literally have to lock the door for them, or they'll go to the radio and start dancing, and getting tense.

What do we want to get rid of: The holiday bug, the constant showering and the weed glitch.