Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Feelings on the DePop Collab?

Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
edited June 2022 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
I was reading article on Highschool Years and saw a paragraph on this. Apparently a bunch of clothes were designed with a collab and there is a fair focus on being a teen "simfluencer."

I didn't create this thread to trash it, but beyond not knowing this thing existed prior it completely flies in the face of my high school experience. I did nothing with fashion. In fact, my mother went out of her way to offer to buy me some brand name bags to fit in better because that was her high school experience instead.

So I am admittedly disappointed, once again, that they focus so heavily on influencer activities like with Get Famous or phone addled animations from the base game and on. I'm in my 20s, and I don't do any of this and didn't a decade ago.

Also, nothing against the clothes, but the collab really explains why I couldn't pick a theme for them from the trailer. No piece stood out to me particularly, but altogether it kind of confused me. Least of my worries, though. Plenty of CAS abound and there is another CAS kit on the horizon.

So what did everyone else think about the collab? Maybe there is something really exciting about it and I just don't know because I am not familiar with it. I am certainly looking forward to thrift stores, boba tea, the amusement park, and interesting teens.
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    I like that it's Depop and that we are getting thrifting! I'm a huge thrifter myself so I'm excited. And thrifting is popular nowadays.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I am happy we are actually getting a browsing interaction on clothing racks. Like you, I am not familiar with Depop either but liked some of the clothes and shoes I saw.
  • Options
    BreeSashaBreeSasha Posts: 638 Member
    I like the idea of thrifting, I'm also not as familiar with Depop but I don't think that this is a bad collab. I mean a lot of Gen Z (which is who'd be in high school in 2022), are into thrifting and being an influencer. It's hard to make a game about being a high schooler and make it apply to everyone's experience (Simmers IRL are all ages and may not even be from The U.S).
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    I'm not familiar with that collab either. I'm hoping that means that the clothes will look good.

Maxis clothes can vary a lot in quality but I feel that they have gotten very good lately. I remember looking at the silk dress from Moonlight Chic Kit and being really impressed by how detailed it was.

I just hope that the collab will not mean that the clothes are too stylized. I like clothes that I can combine with clothes from other packs.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    Never heard of the person/company so my reaction is "blank expression." I don't follow influencers though.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    bevillebeville Posts: 1,151 Member
    I really don't like how the sims are since Eco Lifestyle because it feels like to me they are pushing and pushing a certain Lifestyle.
    I wish they would let the game be a game and not try to be what ever is popular and try to Influence people think a certain way.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    I never heard of depop. I personally go to thrift stores, because the clothes are cheap.It seems to me looking it up.It seems to be mostly base on Lonfon, Manchester, New York City and Los Angelos.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I get where you are coming from @beville. I was one of the people that didn't mind Eco and very much saw it as delivering the desires/feedback from the first community stuff pack that ended up as laundry, but it is hard to argue that the game isn't slanted in certain ways. Everything is.

The YA bias has been pretty obvious from the beginning. We're just now, nearly a decade later filling out things for teens. Plus, the base game has a lot of phone centrism. The animations for becoming a couple, their idle phone autonomy, and everyone just having a phone now (my least disliked thing, but would it have hurt to make some people buy it?).

Especially as more packs were added, there were more layers added this as well. Somethings I didn't mention were the food pictures from Dine Out, pets being Simstagram stars, or the tourist-y phone snaps from the hiking animations in Snowy Escape. Plus all the flavors of stylist and fashion in the game.

It is just another reason I don't think they could pull off a time travel pack. I find it annoying enough that my occults are always on their phones. Imagine trying to get a knight to joust when he is too busy scrolling Simstagram.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I don't even know what that is.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member

Depop Shmepop. I have no feelings. Pinch me and I won't feel anything. :D
  • Options
    Calico45 wrote: »
    I get where you are coming from @beville. I was one of the people that didn't mind Eco and very much saw it as delivering the desires/feedback from the first community stuff pack that ended up as laundry, but it is hard to argue that the game isn't slanted in certain ways. Everything is.

The YA bias has been pretty obvious from the beginning. We're just now, nearly a decade later filling out things for teens. Plus, the base game has a lot of phone centrism. The animations for becoming a couple, their idle phone autonomy, and everyone just having a phone now (my least disliked thing, but would it have hurt to make some people buy it?).

Especially as more packs were added, there were more layers added this as well. Somethings I didn't mention were the food pictures from Dine Out, pets being Simstagram stars, or the tourist-y phone snaps from the hiking animations in Snowy Escape. Plus all the flavors of stylist and fashion in the game.

It is just another reason I don't think they could pull off a time travel pack. I find it annoying enough that my occults are always on their phones. Imagine trying to get a knight to joust when he is too busy scrolling Simstagram.

I feel like its not pushing something, but I feel like the game is mostly California and influencer centric.Not that is bad to have those things, but it feels a bit weird sometimes.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    The article is today's blog and referring to the section on fashion.

Fashion is the ultimate form of self-expression, and has always been a huge part of The Sims. As part of The Sims 4 High School Years Expansion Pack, your Sim’s fashion options are growing even larger via a collaboration with Depop, the circular fashion marketplace app where the next generation comes to discover unique items. Sims can discover clothing items designed by real-world Depop sellers Jeremy Salazar, Sha’an D’Antes, Lapoze McTribouy, Selena Williams and Bella McFadden in-game at the local thrift store and boba hangout, ThrifTea, and earn Simoleons by selling outfits they curate and hype on the new in-game Trendi app and become a “Simfluencer” in the process.

Take pictures of your Sims’ new outfits at the mural from artist Monica Ahanonu, displayed on the side of ThrifTea, drawing inspiration from The Sims x Depop collaboration.

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/news/high-school-years-guided-tour

And the Depop site.

BUY. SELL.
    DO IT ALL OVER.
    Welcome to the community-powered circular fashion marketplace.

https://www.depop.com/
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited June 2022
    don't really care for company collabs at all tbh no matter the company its just always kinda iffy to me like "why though"

that paired with something i dislike like influencers... yeah nope.

no problem with trifting though
    just lots of problems with "fashion" in general

aaand finally for the actual game clothing:
    Very meh about it don't particularily like the look of this clothing much preferred werewolves cas

was hoping for something more like idk teen? like something bold n out there idk
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Looking up most of the people who buy, sell, or use depop are 18-26 years old.
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    I never heard of depop and have no idea what it is nor into collabs or pay attention to influencers or really know of any. Personally I have my own style (sometimes I would make or alter my own clothing other times I would have some items custom made), etc....as long as there more alternative/gothic clothing in the sims, I couldn't care less how they go about it. Also the game needs more masculine style. Thrifting here is also really hit or miss. Rarely have any good clothing/items (I prefer Esty as it supports small business, buy some patterns, some times are custom and just more unique) and not exactly cheaper either; but sometimes you can find gems if people didn't take them right away. So just not a thing here as it is not a big area. Either way, not like it would effect the game really.

The CAS/style in this pack or what I have seen is sort of hit or miss this time. I really liked that one dress the principle's daughter was wearing though. I am not a high school student so maybe this is the trend now; but it's kinda meh (a lot of these clothing could of actually would of gotten me detention which happened a lot, so I just can't see students wear some of it). I really liked the clothing from Werewolves, Vampires and Realm of Magic.

Honestly, I am more excited for the game play as it will really add more to the game and make teen sims feel a bit more like teen sims and not just young adults.
  • Options
    AalyahReedAalyahReed Posts: 209 Member
    I have also never heard of DePop, and with the exception of H&M Fashion Stuff in TS2, which I used in CAS all the time, I have never been a fan of real world collabs in The Sims franchise, which I've been playing since TS1.

Also for perspective, I'm a huge, life-long Star Wars fan IRL, but I refuse to buy JTB because it is just an advert for the Disney machine.

But I think I will enjoy the mechanics of a Thrift Shop for my Sims, provided it functions well. New lot types are always appreciated.

The only collab I would hope for in future packs is literally *any* fashion brand that would give us real shirts, not just endless crop tops, and long, regular length pants for male Sims. Enough with the capris!
  • Options
    MAXIMUS4GUINNESSMAXIMUS4GUINNESS Posts: 12 New Member
    LOL! High School Years is sounding more and more WOKE the more I read about it.
  • Options
    haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    edited July 2022
    DePop didn't say anything to me, but I think my little sister has used similar kind of app for selling the clothes she didn't want to use anymore. I have thrifted at least since I was a teen, I think, which was yeaars ago, because it is so much cheaper and sometimes I find great clothes I wouldn't otherwise get.

How I feel about thrifting coming to the game... Meh? Because my sims already have all the clothes in their closet, so it's not like there is the hunt for gems thing going on. (Or is there? I guess we don't know yet.) I must say I thought it was annoying when my sims had to go shopping for clothes in TS2 to have them, but at least they had a reason to go whereas in TS4 it is just for the setting and there isn't real need to go, so I doubt I'd do it much.
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    haisin wrote: »
    DePop didn't say anything to me, but I think my little sister has used similar kind of app for selling the clothes she didn't want to use anymore. I have thrifted at least since I was a teen, I think, which was yeaars ago, because it is so much cheaper and sometimes I find great clothes I wouldn't otherwise get.

How I feel about thrifting coming to the game... Meh? Because my sims already have all the clothes in their closet, so it's not like there is the hunt for gems thing going on. (Or is there? I guess we don't know yet.) I must say I thought it was annoying when my sims had to go shopping for clothes in TS2 to have them, but at least they had a reason to go whereas in TS4 it is just for the setting and there isn't real need to go, so I doubt I'd do it much.

I was thinking some clothes (probably the ones that were designed in a collab) may be locked in CAS, just like in the knitting pack. But maybe not.
    I'm hoping we will be able to buy any clothes though. I miss the TS2 system.

• Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    somewhsome wrote: »
    haisin wrote: »

I was thinking some clothes (probably the ones that were designed in a collab) may be locked in CAS, just like in the knitting pack. But maybe not.
    I'm hoping we will be able to buy any clothes though. I miss the TS2 system.

I think they might be locked to the new clothes rack and only be able to buy them from there, kind of like Plopsy and they will be available on rotation.
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,348 Member
    The only complaint I have about any collaboration is when the collaborating party's name/logo is put on in-game items in English. That annoys me. If they'd do it in Simlish, I wouldn't have any objection.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    That sort on nonsense didn't exist back in the days I was in high school & I still have no interest in 'fashion'. My requirements for clothing are simple:
    does it fit
    is it suitable for most situations I'm likely to be in
    is it robustly made so will be in service for several years
  • Options
    HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    Yeah this was the point of feeling extremely disconnected with what was popular with teens. But hey, I wasn't connected to what was popular with teens when I was a teen, so what's new there?! :D
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,383 Member
    edited July 2022
    I've never heard of Depop (I'm probably too old). It's going to be just Sims thing for me.
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,656 Member
    LOL! High School Years is sounding more and more WOKE the more I read about it.

Buying from thrift shops is “woke?” Dang. Better shut down the Salvation Army, then. That’s 156 years of “wokeness,” right there!