Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Broken CC? Let me fix it for you!

Comments

• Options
    emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
    Hey @Emily4331 ! :smiley: Hope you're doing well. <3

So, I happened upon this outfit on TSR and I LOVE the heck out of the top, but do not like the shorts. :grimace: Is it possible to separate the top from the shorts? Or remove the shorts? Either way. So it's just a top? If not, I understand, but I thought I would ask anyway. :blush: Thanks!

DL

2069209.jpg
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • Options
    Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    edited May 2022
    @emorrill I'll take a look, but there's a high chance the textures of the shirt overlap the textures of the shorts, but we'll see. :smile:

Edit: Yeah, as predicted, the shirt texture overlaps the shorts. To remove the shorts cleanly, I'd have to cut off any part of the shirt that extends onto the shorts. But if you're alright with that, then it can be done.
  • Options
    @Emily4331 Yeah I was wondering about that with the lace falling over the shorts like that... :confused:
    But hey, I'm okay with you giving it a try to separate, even with losing a little lace, and I look forward to seeing how it comes out. :) Thanks a bunch!
  • Options
    @emorrill Alrighty, this is what I was able to do:
    a996BlS.png

Looks pretty good, I think. It's a rather long shirt (so funny that the file has the word "crop" in it :lol: ) and I kept it long. It layers underneath bottoms (as you can see in the pic), so it'll usually have that tucked in look unless you use a very low cut bottom.

DL: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8jq8yquvhwn8q6n/ilikemusic640_LaceTop_NoShorts.package?dl=0
  • Options
    @Emily4331 Thank you so much! <3 You are awesome! It looks great! :smiley: I can't wait to check it out in game!

@bekkasan :blush:
  • Options
    So I came across an interesting thing while doing that conversion. You see, I replaced the full body with just the upper body and I thought "huh, for some reason that made the chest look a lot better...that's cool." And then I saw that the original creation was made on top of the plunge swimsuit from the base game. This caused me to do some experiments and come up with an interesting factoid: the adult female nude top and the full adult female body used as the base for many full body outfits aren't the same. :astonished:

Now, this probably doesn't matter to any normal human, but I am a weirdo, okay. Any time I got a piece of CC that was mostly just a texture slapped onto the adult female sim body, I would always find the chest to be...bizarrely lacking? Sad? Depressing? Just something about it was off, okay? And, turns out, my weirdo brain was correct.

So I took the nude adult female body and the female body full swimsuit base and put them together in Blender. Already, I saw the difference, but for funsies, I took the plunge swimsuit texture, slapped it over a skin, and put the texture on both. N = the nude female body, SB = the female body use for the full body swimsuits (among other things).

liUFuxz.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PdXIHGvMpk

During this revelation, I thought to myself - I wonder how many other things use this weird inferior female body base? I hypothesized it might be anything that is just a texture on the body. So I looked at the adult female string bikini...and my hypothesis might be correct. :lol:

5NC4pOC.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17KmNrG9pE4

You might be wondering - okay, Emily, but what is it about them that's different? It's something extremely simple - on the nude female body where you see that extra dimension are edges that are "sharp." Whether an edge is sharp or smooth has to do with shading. In The Sims, we see sharp edges used on lines of demarcation, mostly. Like the border between the torso and each arm, between the neck and the head, between the upper and lower body (on non-full body outfits), etc etc. But, in this case the sharp edge is being used to add definition without changing the topology, meaning yay definition and yay still low poly count.

Fact is, what was weird was that the shading was flat because the sharp edge was gone. Finally, my torment is over. :cry: Of course, I'm exaggerating. It didn't affect me that much, but it was something that I noticed so I'm glad I finally looked into it and came away with an explanation. Why the bodies are different is anyone's guess. Maybe they thought it looked better? Maybe you think it looks better! And that's fine. I just, personally, think that sharp edge allows the chest to have a nice added dimension without upping the poly count which is mucho mucho bueno for a game from 2009. Without it, I feel like the flatness is just :expressionless: Though, I will say that swimsuits don't typically contour to the shape of our bodies so much, but I think that really just emphasizes the problem with these painted on textures in the first place.

Also, just a little extra nugget of info: the swimsuit base full body somehow has like ~20 more faces than the nude top and bottom together and I cannot figure out how this is a thing. :lol:

Thank you for coming to my TEDTalk. :tongue:
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    @Emily4331 Lol! Well this was insightful. :lol: I enjoyed your TedTalk. :blush:

Yeeeeaaaah, huge difference in the under-b00b look there with the nude vs the swimsuit. (Sharp sharp edges below there...) The Swimsuit model smooths the under-b00b area out making more natural looking b00-bies. I've noticed this problem with various cc made for the game too and I'm so glad you've discovered what you've discovered. You will create even more awesome cc because of it. :star:
  • Options
    @Emily4331 ^I meant to ask: did you discover that while checking out the lace top I asked you to separate from the shorts? :p

Speaking of, I wanted to share some in game shots of the lace top by itself to show off how great it looks. :blush:

Screenshot-5.jpg

So well detailed and textured. :star:

Screenshot-6.jpg

I guess since it's missing a seam on the bottom, because you had to cut it from the shorts, it would work better with pants/skirts that aren't low cut. 🙃

Playing with colors. :blush:

Screenshot-7.jpg

Screenshot-8.jpg

LIVE mode:

Screenshot-6.jpg

Close up. I can kinda see that under-b00b thing I mentioned earlier so that's why I asked the question above. :lol: (I know the necklace doesn't match I just threw it on because it was new cc I was testing out. 👍 )

Screenshot-7.jpg
  • Options
    @emorrill Yeah, that's when I found it out. :lol: And, yes, I did mention it would look best with high waisted bottoms because of the blunt cut.
  • Options
    StephStebStephSteb Posts: 2,271 Member
    *kicks in the door*
    *yoinks awesome shirt by Emily*
    *runs back out*
    :D;)
  • Options
    Emily4331 wrote: »
    @emorrill Yeah, that's when I found it out. :lol: And, yes, I did mention it would look best with high waisted bottoms because of the blunt cut.

@Emily4331 ^Yep you did. :) I was reiterating it. Sorry I didn't type it better. ;)

@StephSteb Lol! :lol: I do that here often as well.
  • Options
    MantleJackalMantleJackal Posts: 373 Member
    Hello @Emily4331

If you have the time do you think you could check the top for this outfit? https://erissims3ccfinds.tumblr.com/post/147910952497/very-late-im-sorry-i-was-trying-to-fix-the

I noticed that when a sim is wearing the top a weird texture appears on the legs. I know it's from the top because it changes when I recolor the top itself. Otherwise the CC itself isn't bad. If you can look it over it would be very much appreciated.
  • Options
    @MantleJackal Sure! I love your profile picture, by the way. :3
  • Options
    @MantleJackal There were a few problems with this and I fixed all of them.

1.) As you noted, part of the texture was on the sim leg area. So I edited the UV map and redid the textures.

2.) Fixed the specular map to show the proper one and not the old EA top one that caused a weird shiny tank top shape on the body.

3.) The shading was weird on the sim body on this mesh, so I went ahead and just replace it with a new one. Not sure what they did, but it severely messed up the shading. :lol:

4.) There was egregious clipping in some areas that I fixed up.

DL: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uqss60mfjsc388t/Witcher3_SuccubusTopAF_Kes_Fix.package?dl=0
  • Options
    MantleJackalMantleJackal Posts: 373 Member
    @Emily4331

Aww, thanks ^^

Also, I didn't know that there were more errors with the top other than the texture. Anyways, thanks for fixing it up! You're doing great work here.
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    Loving all the fixes! Thanks, Emily <3
  • Options
    Oh you can turn off those notifications at at the top now!! Yaaaay. That got on my nerves so bad. Anyway, back to business...

QuYXyNz.jpg

Emily I was wondering if you could make this robo arm, leg and shoes into separate pieces, maybe as accessories? I have only been able to find these pieces with this dress and I'd like to use them with different clothes. Thank you!

The original creator is long gone so I've uploaded to SFS but if there are any complaints I'll remove this link:
    http://simfileshare.net/folder/164451/
  • Options
    @ZeeGee Well, unfortunately, there's a reason this is made as an outfit and not accessories. I'll try to be concise, but I am so terribly bad at explaining things, so bear with me.

How the different CAS parts work is as follows:

Tops: The sim torso + whatever top.
    Bottoms: The Sim bottom (minus feet) + whatever bottoms.
    Outfit: The Sim body (minus feet) + whatever outfit.
    Shoes: The Sim feet + whatever shoes.
    Accessories: Just the accessory.

So for tops to shoes, you can delete parts of the sim body to accommodate where needed. Like, if you have pants that cover the entire leg if the sim legs were still there, they'd likely clip through at some points in animations or toward extreme points of the weight slider (plus, they'd take up additional resources when they don't need to be rendered). Because of how Bottoms work, you can make pants and fully delete all parts of the sim legs that are under the pants to avoid clipping like that.

Accessories are independent from all parts of the sims' body. This means, I can't take that robot arm, delete the sim arm, and slap it on because the sim torso is not part of accessories. So what would really happen is you'd put a top on your sim, put your robot arm on, and your sim would have a robot arm and a sim arm overlapping each other. :sweat_smile: To avoid this, I would have to make it obnoxiously large to overtake the sim arm. And, even then, I guarantee there would be clipping just with how the robot arm is shaped. Look at how thin the wrist is, for example.

On top of that, they'd have to be morphed to fit sims of varying size, which would make them look more silly and potentially mess up the mesh of unrelated parts of the body (morphed accessories often don't get along with some higher poly clothes).

So really the best I could do for you is put these parts on the outfit you would want to use. But you'd likely be wanting to change their outfit, so that isn't very sustainable. Plus, your choices are limited because you'd need the replacement outfit to cover a similar amount of arm and leg because the robot arm and leg are likely cut off where they go into the dress.
  • Options
    I don't know why you say you're bad at explaining cause I understood that perfectly! :) Thanks for trying and for explaining why it can't be done. :kissing_heart:
  • Options
    Hi, guys! Over on Modthesims, creator w0esie made some lovely lashes using S-Club lashes as her base. Unfortunately, this caused them to have the overlay priority issue that caused S-Club lashes to show through hair and glasses. Buckley has released fixes for S-Club's versions, but since this is a mostly unrelated file, the Buckley's fixes do not work on w0esie's lashes.

So I went ahead and edited their overlay priority so they no longer show through hair and glasses. I posted the file in a comment over on Modthesims, so here's the link to the thread:
    https://modthesims.info/download.php?c=1&t=666380&c=1&ht=0&page=1&pp=25#startcomment

My comment is toward the bottom. :smile: Enjoy! And give your love to w0esie as this is her first piece of Sims 3 CC and we stan new creators! :heart:
  • Options
    How sweet of you to do @Emily4331 <3 Those are very cool eyelashes! w0esies did a great job on them. :star:
  • Options
    Thank you, Emily!
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    First of all, thank you so much for saving these eyelashes! I can't stand when they stick through the hair.
    YgdORhv.jpg

Second, I was wondering if it would be possible to take the robotic arm and attach it to this top (removing the leather on the arms), and the leg and foot and attach it to these shorts? Would that work? I think I made selections that would hide the body that is not visible in the robot dress. And P.S. if you could get rid of that leather skirty thing at the bottom of the top that would be great too.

8B7PANN.jpg

Link to shorts but I just picked these because they're leather: I don't like the detail on them but if you can't remove the skirty thing then it won't show anyway: https://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/details/category/sims3-clothing-female/title/shorts-ekn-s9-1/id/936740/

Post edited by ZeeGee on
  • Options
    @ZeeGee That outfit should work with the robot arm and leg, yeah. :smile:
  • Options
    Yaaay! Thank you! I get to tell my cyborg story now. :)

Okay shorts are linked above.

Top is here:
    https://store.thesims3.com/productDetail.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:48634&scategoryId=11899
    If you don't have it I'll buy it for you!

Robo dress is by Mitarasi and is close to the bottom of this page:
    https://mega.nz/folder/SFlBCQJC#jtm42LSpcgC1xW5diVGVgw

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top