Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rotation Play for the Sims 4

Hello hello all you people out there, mind helping a fellow simmer out?

I'm thinking of starting a rotation play for the sims 4 because I saw Pleasant sims discussing and sharing her rules and gameplay for a sims 4 rotation play like the sims 2

So, I started a random play where I randomize all the family till I got ten, I'm on my fourth generation with that save but I want to start another one along with it but this time a not so randomize world

What I need help with is picking out at least 10 families, Of course, three of those are gonna be the big three: the goths, the landgraabs and the Alto(cause holly is the only one there but if I decide to play with her maybe I'll consider putting in her parents) and I'm also thinking of playing johnny zest, so that's 4, I need at least 6 more or so, so kindly comment and help me out guys and if you want, you can do the same with me and play a rotation play

Comments

• Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I’m currently playing a rotational save I started with all the Maxis teens. It’s been fun because they interact with each other and now they’re at university together. Maybe you could do something like that with some single young adults and some teens. There are some interesting ones in both age groups in Windenburg (if you have Get Together). Have fun with whatever you decide!
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,130 Member
    I recently started a premade rotation file where I rotate between all the families in all the worlds. I'm still on my first rotation because there are a lot of families at this point. Once I've made it through all the households, I'll probably cut a few from the rotation.

To answer your question, you could add the Pleasant sisters, if you have Discover University. In my game, I aged them down to teens and added Daniel and Mary-Sue.

Maybe chose one household from each world you have?
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    ThatFlutterGuyThatFlutterGuy Posts: 19 Member
    A head cannon I always have is that Katerina (Caterina?) Lynx from Pets is Katrina Calliente’s sister, so you could always do that? Or maybe the Villareals?
  • Options
    The_Great_CabalThe_Great_Cabal Posts: 56 Member
    edited March 2022
    babajayne wrote: »
    I’m currently playing a rotational save I started with all the Maxis teens. It’s been fun because they interact with each other and now they’re at university together. Maybe you could do something like that with some single young adults and some teens. There are some interesting ones in both age groups in Windenburg (if you have Get Together). Have fun with whatever you decide!

thanks! I think I have a good idea now on how to do it
    Post edited by The_Great_Cabal on
  • Options
    I recently started a premade rotation file where I rotate between all the families in all the worlds. I'm still on my first rotation because there are a lot of families at this point. Once I've made it through all the households, I'll probably cut a few from the rotation.

To answer your question, you could add the Pleasant sisters, if you have Discover University. In my game, I aged them down to teens and added Daniel and Mary-Sue.

Maybe chose one household from each world you have?

oh that's good.... no that is really good, ok thanks for the help, I think I will add Daniel and Mary-sue, I have a remake of them in my game, so yeah. Thanks again!
  • Options
    A head cannon I always have is that Katerina (Caterina?) Lynx from Pets is Katrina Calliente’s sister, so you could always do that? Or maybe the Villareals?

................ WHAT!? that is a good little fan theory, catering is Katrina's sister! AMAZING I'll make it cannon on my games forever now hahahahah
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I have an important tip. Hope it’s not too late.

When you begin, load each household that you plan on playing within the first day of gameplay, or mark them as “Played”. I didn’t do this once and by the time I got to many of the households, all their relationships with sims outside of their household had been lost. Relationship Culling happens in unplayed households at around 3am every day, and you probably want to avoid this. I guess the game thinks you don’t care about those relationships that don’t involve your sims, so it tries to clean things up.
  • Options
    babajayne wrote: »
    I have an important tip. Hope it’s not too late.

When you begin, load each household that you plan on playing within the first day of gameplay, or mark them as “Played”. I didn’t do this once and by the time I got to many of the households, all their relationships with sims outside of their household had been lost. Relationship Culling happens in unplayed households at around 3am every day, and you probably want to avoid this. I guess the game thinks you don’t care about those relationships that don’t involve your sims, so it tries to clean things up.

oh so that's what it is! I wonder what happens to my sims everytime and that's it? Ok thanks for letting me know, will definitely use this
  • Options
    Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,103 Member
    My advice is to think about gameplay roles you want your sims to have.

For example, I have sims that are conservationists, scientists, farmers, vets, and etc.

Family play is typical of every household, but the activities I engage in help to set a theme that is more engaging and easier to stick with.

Like, you could have different occult households featuring different occults if that's what you want.

For example, my merfolk households are involved in conservation, while my Aliens tend to be involved in the scientific careers.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,691 Member
    I play lots of households on rotation and two things helped me keeping up interest and adding some more diversity.
    Some families are members of the noble top society, based or RL structures but not too detailed. The other is that I assigned one career and skill to each major house, suggesting a tradition for them to cling to, like finding jobs and interests supported by that skill. It's rather open though, not all household members get fanatic about it, it's more a fam trad thing than a strict individual direction. Typically it will be expected that main heir will either follow the career or max out the skill.
    This way there are not only experts in certain fields, but it is also a way to implement careers/skills that I otherwise would ignore.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    I play lots of households on rotation and two things helped me keeping up interest and adding some more diversity.
    Some families are members of the noble top society, based or RL structures but not too detailed. The other is that I assigned one career and skill to each major house, suggesting a tradition for them to cling to, like finding jobs and interests supported by that skill. It's rather open though, not all household members get fanatic about it, it's more a fam trad thing than a strict individual direction. Typically it will be expected that main heir will either follow the career or max out the skill.
    This way there are not only experts in certain fields, but it is also a way to implement careers/skills that I otherwise would ignore.

alright, I'll keep that in mind
  • Options
    Metior_Ice wrote: »

For example, I have sims that are conservationists, scientists, farmers, vets, and etc.

Family play is typical of every household, but the activities I engage in help to set a theme that is more engaging and easier to stick with.

Like, you could have different occult households featuring different occults if that's what you want.

For example, my merfolk households are involved in conservation, while my Aliens tend to be involved in the scientific careers.

I was thinking about having a sort of "passing on the mantle" thing where the patriarch (or matriarch, depends) will be very good in a field of skill and career that he/she trains their heir to be the next person to be an expert in that skill or career, like what Simmerville up there said, and I already have a farming family and a scientist family and also the untamed romance sims family
  • Options
    Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,103 Member
    @The_Great_Cabal
    Metior_Ice wrote: »

I was thinking about having a sort of "passing on the mantle" thing where the patriarch (or matriarch, depends) will be very good in a field of skill and career that he/she trains their heir to be the next person to be an expert in that skill or career, like what Simmerville up there said, and I already have a farming family and a scientist family and also the untamed romance sims family

I have something similar to @Simmerville that I do.

My current rotation involves sims I created in CAS.

Each rotation focuses on the things I mentioned, but the sims that do the most to honor traditions are also the "Noble" sims in my game.

I've noticed that different sim worlds have a certain culture to them, and one of my favorite things about the different worlds includes the different behaviors sims have.

Like, Sulani has neighbors that bring extra food and help put out fires.

Henford-on-Bagley has its one traditions too.

My merfolk, in particular, hold the conservation career in the highest regard and only nobility has the honor to look after the most important places for merfolk.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I play rotational in a different way.

There is one main family that I mostly play. Then there is a group of households that I play regularly. Then I play the remainder of the population at random.

I hold two NPC-holidays every 4 or 5 day, I make them holidays with no school and no work. That way I can log into an household that I don't play regularly and the sims will not be late for work or school. During one of these holidays I sometimes just play one household and advance them. Sometimes I jump between 7 households and update careers and clubs. Move a family to a different world to advance a story or something to that effect. Main family I play them only on play no fast forward and few cheats. Then when NPC-days comes then anything goes.

I like the contrast between having a main family that I follow and work a lot with and then just advancing what I feel like doing during the NPC-days. I might log into a household that hold very different thoughts and ideas from my main family, I try to play according to what I believe that the current household would do.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,932 Member
    Do you have city living? I’m playing a city living rotation right now with all the premades and one family of my own and it’s a lot of fun. All the families are great, but my favorites might be the Karaoke Legends (now broken into 2 households in my game) and the Jangs. My Billie Jang has surpassed her comedian dad in comedy already and she’s only a college student- might be a good choice for your “pass the mantle” idea
  • Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,578 Member
    I play rotational with the premade families and new characters. I saw someone mention the premade Teens. Luna Villareal and Cassandra Goth are both aspiring musicians, but Luna is a little further ahead. I always imagined a rivalry between those two. I also age up Alexander Goth to teenager pretty quickly and have him be smitten by Luna which puts him at odds with Cassandra. It's a neat scenario if you're rotating between those two houses.
  • Options
    Do you have city living? I’m playing a city living rotation right now with all the premades and one family of my own and it’s a lot of fun. All the families are great, but my favorites might be the Karaoke Legends (now broken into 2 households in my game) and the Jangs. My Billie Jang has surpassed her comedian dad in comedy already and she’s only a college student- might be a good choice for your “pass the mantle” idea

I do. I was thinking of actually continuing the rasoya family with raj marrying miko ojo (I think her name is) from karaoke legends
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Kerrigan wrote: »
    I play rotational with the premade families and new characters. I saw someone mention the premade Teens. Luna Villareal and Cassandra Goth are both aspiring musicians, but Luna is a little further ahead. I always imagined a rivalry between those two. I also age up Alexander Goth to teenager pretty quickly and have him be smitten by Luna which puts him at odds with Cassandra. It's a neat scenario if you're rotating between those two houses.

so basically forming a family rivalry as well huh? hahahaha, I like it though, drama is my middle name
    I usually form a rivalry with the bjergsen sisters by marrying Max with Elsa and sofia with Wolfgang, max and Wolfgang would fight for leadership of their club while their wives fight for the inheritance of their family house and to find out who, in general, is the best daughter
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    ok so far I got this

Family playlist:
    - Goth
    - Landgraab
    - Alto
    - Caliente
    - zest
    - Pleasants
    - Don lothario
    - dreamers
    - dustin broke
    - lynx
    - bjergsen
    - villareal
    - munch
    - karaoke legends
    - rasoya
    - faiz jaleel

I got people from willow creek, oasis springs, windenburg, san myshuno, a guy for tartosa(whatever the name is), people from brindleton bay, find of del sol valley

I thin I should have at least one family from every world so what do you guys suggest? I'm thinking the kealohas for sulani, the scotts for henford bagley and the homeless townies for magic world and all the vampires from the vampire world and maybe I'll keep the mermaids there out in the world in case I wanna add them in in the future bloodline but I still need people for evergreen harbor, mt komorebi and strangerville but these worlds I kinda don't like any of the premades so suggest people from the sims 2 maybe, guys, and I'll recreate them and I'll sow them to you
  • Options
    guys I have a new and probably not gonna be a well-liked idea

I'm gonna recreate everyone's pick into my vision, for example most of you guys here and on the facebook page I asked as well said they want the goths to be in my rotation since I don't really like the goths (yes, sorry) especially the sims 4's goths I'm gonna recreate Victor, Samuel and Gretle Goth(now MY cannon named Gretle Leiderhosen... for now, she's betrothed to marry victor)

I was mainly encouraged to do my own thing because most people's first words in their reply to my posts are, "do what you want" or something like that so that's why I'm gonna do it like this sorry, but of course I'll still take in your guys' ideas cause I don't usually form ideas on my own, sometimes even my girlfriend helps me so yeah

leave your ideas here plz, will still appreciate and take them in consideration when I finally start playing my new simverse, so excited for this!
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,989 Member
    Rotational saves are mostly all I ever play anymore.

My main rotational save is my first save I started, 3 months after the game came out. I own all the packs, and play a few premades, the Goths, the Landgrabbs, the Behrs, the Jangs, and a few others. I add my own households with almost every expansion pack and some game packs. I have a huge variety of households, with different aspirations, traits, jobs, relationships, ethnicities, household size and types, friends, single house holds, generational families, brothers and sisters, grand parents with grand children, nuclear households, couples, single parents etc, so I have a great variety.

I added a new scenario rotational save which only has 4 households so far.

My sims are in clubs together, and socialize a lot, even without clubs. I have aging turned off most of the time and rarely age up a sim. My sims rotate celebrating holidays. I have several couples planning on getting married with the new wedding pack.

Now I am waiting for them to update babies, bring out cars, theme parks etc.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    Rotational saves are mostly all I ever play anymore.

My main rotational save is my first save I started, 3 months after the game came out. I own all the packs, and play a few premades, the Goths, the Landgrabbs, the Behrs, the Jangs, and a few others. I add my own households with almost every expansion pack and some game packs. I have a huge variety of households, with different aspirations, traits, jobs, relationships, ethnicities, household size and types, friends, single house holds, generational families, brothers and sisters, grand parents with grand children, nuclear households, couples, single parents etc, so I have a great variety.

I added a new scenario rotational save which only has 4 households so far.

My sims are in clubs together, and socialize a lot, even without clubs. I have aging turned off most of the time and rarely age up a sim. My sims rotate celebrating holidays. I have several couples planning on getting married with the new wedding pack.

Now I am waiting for them to update babies, bring out cars, theme parks etc.

nice, dedicated huh? and very ambitious, I like. I commend and respect you sir/miss!
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    ok I think I gone mad cause I just started creating two versions! hahahahahah
    one is where I just added your guys' ideas and recreated some sims and the other version I completely recreated every chosen family hahahaha! Once I'm done creating and setting them up I'll definitely share it with you guys
  • Options
    wahini2024wahini2024 Posts: 547 Member
    I don't play anything but rotational play. I can't stay with one family too long or I get bored. That said I still have attachments to many of my sims so I wind up in rotational play.

My best advice is to have seasons set to two weeks and aging turned off. Before I did this I seemed to always be in winter with some who i wanted to take on summer vacations and others died before i got back. So this helps me a lot to have long seasons and I age them manually when it's right for me.

My games are never heavily focused on one family but a community. I create a lot of clubs and also drama this way. This helps with the relationship decay as well.
    I have them gather a lot. Many of them develop their story as I go. I've tried to have a set storyline but they never go to plan. Free love makes sure of that if nothing else.

I have challenge homes such as a running bachelor and Bachelorette house. One round of the bachelor was canceled when he had a night out with one of my celebrity sims and they were just too cute. I have rags to riches in rotation etc.. things kinda just flow but no matter where I go my sims are either the main house or they fill up the world as townies while not the main home so I am always around sims I enjoy. I have about 28 families in rotation.

Pre made are in my game but I don't play as them. They just enhance the side plots from time to time. Exceptions Diego Lobo and J Huntington are the only pre made to get married to my created sims.

The last thing I do is vary the life aspirations and job types for variety and to complete every goal and play every job option.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    wahini2024 wrote: »
    I don't play anything but rotational play. I can't stay with one family too long or I get bored. That said I still have attachments to many of my sims so I wind up in rotational play.

My best advice is to have seasons set to two weeks and aging turned off. Before I did this I seemed to always be in winter with some who i wanted to take on summer vacations and others died before i got back. So this helps me a lot to have long seasons and I age them manually when it's right for me.

My games are never heavily focused on one family but a community. I create a lot of clubs and also drama this way. This helps with the relationship decay as well.
    I have them gather a lot. Many of them develop their story as I go. I've tried to have a set storyline but they never go to plan. Free love makes sure of that if nothing else.

I have challenge homes such as a running bachelor and Bachelorette house. One round of the bachelor was canceled when he had a night out with one of my celebrity sims and they were just too cute. I have rags to riches in rotation etc.. things kinda just flow but no matter where I go my sims are either the main house or they fill up the world as townies while not the main home so I am always around sims I enjoy. I have about 28 families in rotation.

Pre made are in my game but I don't play as them. They just enhance the side plots from time to time. Exceptions Diego Lobo and J Huntington are the only pre made to get married to my created sims.

The last thing I do is vary the life aspirations and job types for variety and to complete every goal and play every job option.

(first paragraph) ohh, do you not know about the fact that you can set the age settings so that your current household is the only one aging until you go to another household? You can do that, like the sims 2 except for the pregnancies, it's not gonna stop progressing unless you have a mod, don't know what mod just... a mod... hehe

(second paragraph) I think pleasant sims has a modlist that makes it so that you'll get some proper automation on like what the sim wants like the sims 2 want system

(third paragraph) haha lol

(fourth paragraph) lobo??? I hate that guy, first time playing city living he cheated on my sim, in another game, when I got mccc, he married my daughter who I just moved out and was planning on playing and marrying to a goth guy, ANNOYING

(fifth paragraph)again, pleasant sims has a mod suggestion to increase aspirations and improve them, I haven't personally tried them but from how she showcased them, they're pretty cool