Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Didn't they say they heard the occult players...

Comments

• Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    CelSims wrote: »

I believe I’ve just entered vent mode and it’s making me grumpy. I apologize. I need to de- grumpify now.

Yes it is all quite mind boggling come to think of it and no, we shouldn’t constantly have to compromise.
    Yet here we are, trying to find ways to make new occult packs work for those who don’t even want occults, without a single new occult in sight. At this point we all sound like a broken record in an echo chamber. At least I do. I feel a tad sad for us.

Grump away. Several foot of snow on the ground and at least another seven or eight weeks until I can get outside and get seeds in the ground. I'm going insane indoors. A bug free fleshed out Occult pack would've calmed the howling monster I'm becoming :)

You need a conservatory or greenhouse like your sims have :p

Aha yes! I turned our dining room into a 'herbarium' this winter, the table is filled with parsley, rosemary, basil, thyme etc. Along with 4 micro tomato plants. And today we put the finishing touches to my new grow room which has space for hundreds if not thousands of seedlings and should hold enough full grown plants to keep me busy next winter :)
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    Greyling wrote: »
    Behappy1st wrote: »
    What was the exact wording? Because "We hear you" I parse as corporate for "We are painfully aware of your pesky prodding, and although we don't have immediate plans for this feature, we don't want to rule out that we may some day implement it, after all.".

I wonder, though…. Would the Sims team continue occult-oriented packs like RoM depending on the feedback? Vampires had great feedback, but also had controversy and backlash to the point of Sims team nerfing them and other occults, and that led to Realm-only occult/secretive occults (spellcaster) or very tame/mild occults (see: mermaids).
    Honestly, that is such a headscratcher. Just how averse can one be to offering toggles? A simple off/on switch labeled "Vampires are real" and we could decide whether we want vampire gameplay or not, while keeping all the Build/Buy objects. No need to nerf anything. Realism players would simply untick the box in every save, occult players keep it checked always and story players could decided on a save-by-save basis.

I think everyone would be happy if they made two packs instead of one. A full pack like vampires and a second pack with all the BB and CAS items for that pack. That way they can have all the BB and CAS without the Vampires. So with that in mind make a Werewolf pack and a pack with the CAS and BB for the Werewolf pack, etc, etc, etc. Let's add in all possible paranormal packs that way. And while we're at it let's start yesterday.

I think this solution would overlook those of us who belong to the “middle“ group in all of this; that is those of us who like to play with occults but also enjoy more “realistic” gameplay and don’t necessarily want this to play out at the same time. I think it’s annoying that Vlad isn’t there when I want him to be, but insists on turning up whenever I find him to be out of place, sneaking in while my sims are having a party just so he can stay and use their computer for half the night 🙄

This goes for many unwelcome NPCs though and I wish we had more control over how they invade our story territory without the need of mods.
    I agree with @EternalSunshine that toggles or lot traits would be a much more ideal solution. It may be that they say adding toggles could potentially end up breaking the game, but we’ve seen toggles being added with several of the more recent packs so it’s not like it isn’t an option at all. And that way those players who’d prefer to go all in on occults could do that, those who’d rather not would have that option and those of us who’d enjoy a mix where we can let occults run wild in some saves, have them take the backseat in others and just have a little bit of everything in the rest of our saves could do that instead of it being one big muddle in every save.

I feel that since they added lot challenges to base game, some of the mechanics of previous packs should be reconsidered and transferred . Getting vampires to visit a lot should be part of lot challenge now, same way cottage living foxes cannot visit the farm and terrorize the chickens unless that lot challenge is activated.
    This way there’s no need for complaints from both sides. If a player doesn’t want something to happen on their lot, don’t use the challenge. The beauty is that we can have as many lot challenges as we like.

Of course there will always be a NerfSquad lurking in the shadows, ready to attack the moment some sim does something without another sims consent, (at least that’s how they’d read it) but sure….we just have to try and stand our ground whenever they open their genius mouth and open our maws wider and howl louder.

The lot challenge has been the fairest toggle yet and doesn’t require a pack to be split. Personally I prefer getting a Game Pack such as Vampires to include a gameplay system, a world and CAS & BB to make the entire occult experience feel more complete.

I would go the other way if it were a lot trait. Maybe patch in a lot Trait for base game that is "Occult free" so that specialty packs can continue to be designed freely as their own "normal". I really loved Vampire break-ins, not knowing when it would happen or to which household (I play many) they would show up at, and that was part of the joy of it - the element of surprise, the not knowing. If I had to use a lot trait for attacks, it would become predictable and, knowing the Sims 4 mechanics, overdone. I wouldn't want it to be a "challenge", I'd want it to be an unpredictable possibility, true to the lore of the creature itself.

Plus, as has been pointed out, if someone is going to buy a pack they know they won't like, just for objects or clothing, then the responsibility should be on them to equip the lot trait to keep out the Occults, not the person who bought it for its actual theme.

Just my two cents.

I think negative autonomous things like this work perfectly as Lot Challenges, due to there being no limit on how many you can set.

If you have an Occult Free lot trait and want it on all lots, that limits you to only 2 other traits, whereas doing it the above way means you can still pick 3 positive traits.

Several things could be reworked as lot challenges too:
    • Dust System - Easier to add/remove from lots and could be made available on community lots.
    • Haunted Houses - Remove the Haunted House residential lot type and add it as a lot challenge instead. This gameplay could then be used in tiny homes, apartments, rentals and community lots. Maybe hotels at some point too.
    • TLC Lot Trait - This is rightfully a lot challenge. Adding the challenge could add the objects required to the lot requirements list and give you access to them in the catalogue. This way you can choose where to place them. This would allow the TLC gameplay (except for Landlord) on lots other than apartments. This lot challenge would lower the rent by a set percentage, or lower lot taxes on non-apartment lots.

Except that I would have to switch every lot in my game as a "challenge" just to have Vampires behave as intended from their own pack. I play over 200 Sims (and growing).

I also don't consider Vampire attacks "negative" gameplay, just unpredictable and exciting and that's how I like it. Everything else in Sims 4 is so predictable and positivity driven, which just isn't interesting to me. Making the attacks a challenge takes that unpredictability away because the player can, once again, predict what's going to happen, and then you know it ends up happening every. single. night. over and over on a cycle. That's not fun either.

The Vampires pack was created to bring a little darkness and spice to the game. It was intended to have random Vampire break-ins and many players were very excited for it. We wanted it. Why then, should the pack be compromised for players who didn't even want the Vampires in the first place? That doesn't make sense. It's the people who don't like it but bought it anyway who should be finding the work-around.

It would be like if I bought Parenthood for the CAS stuff and then complained that toddlers, kids and teens were acting out too much so then devs nerfed the autonomy and suddenly players had to specifically direct their kids to do something "bad". Oh, hey, why don't we just make that "negative autonomy" a lot challenge instead for the people who wanted parenting in a Parenthood pack?

See what I'm saying? These aren't EPs. I do expect a bit of compromise in an EP because it's supposed to cater to a broader player base. But a GP is a very focused theme with niche gameplay for specific player types. They should not be compromised.

That’s fair enough and makes sense, especially for GPs and smaller packs.

Unfortunately it’s the folks who are not very creative and intuitive that complain about these features. They do not possess the ability to think for themselves nor find work arounds, so they head straight for the manager’s office. These people decide to buy an item they don’t necessarily care for without considering the consequences of having such item, then make a fuss about it actually working as intended.
    The problem is that often times these are also the people who get their way. They would rather instigate drama to get what THEY want instead of going through a few simple steps to make it work for themselves without having restrictions imposed on others.

And so here’s the manager’s response:
    “Oh for god’s sake just do what they ask for as long as they shut up.”
    Now it’s up for debate whether or not that particular manager should be a manager in the first place. 😅

It’s also like those people who decided to adopt a cute little puppy, then rage about never being able to go anywhere because of the DOG. “OMG I bought it to carry it around in my hand bag but it’s misbehaving and I don’t have TIME to bring it to puppy school or train it!! MY LIFE’S A MESS!! OMG MY BAG IS TOO!!!”

I believe I’ve just entered vent mode and it’s making me grumpy. I apologize. I need to de- grumpify now.

Yes it is all quite mind boggling come to think of it and no, we shouldn’t constantly have to compromise.
    Yet here we are, trying to find ways to make new occult packs work for those who don’t even want occults, without a single new occult in sight. At this point we all sound like a broken record in an echo chamber. At least I do. I feel a tad sad for us.

I also feel really sad for that metaphorical misbehaving puppy in the handbag. 😭

Aw. That’s because you care. ❤️
    The metaphorical person carrying that metaphorical puppy in their metaphorical handbag doesn’t.
    Not about the puppy anyway.

#NoHellhoundLeftBehind

That's a powerful hashtag 👍😂
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    emere wrote: »
    @GrimlyFiendish Of course there IS an occult at Spooky SP! Look:

399Igke.png

I have that pack since release. I have played ma fake fairies thanks to that costume :'(

Well at least ROM gave them magic *sigh*

I have accepted that we occult players are at the end of Sims 4 line, so I no longer have expectations about more occults :|

Yea I gave my wannabe plant-sims the florial and scruberoo spell. :D
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    GreylingGreyling Posts: 163 Member
    Greyling wrote: »
    Behappy1st wrote: »
    What was the exact wording? Because "We hear you" I parse as corporate for "We are painfully aware of your pesky prodding, and although we don't have immediate plans for this feature, we don't want to rule out that we may some day implement it, after all.".

I wonder, though…. Would the Sims team continue occult-oriented packs like RoM depending on the feedback? Vampires had great feedback, but also had controversy and backlash to the point of Sims team nerfing them and other occults, and that led to Realm-only occult/secretive occults (spellcaster) or very tame/mild occults (see: mermaids).
    Honestly, that is such a headscratcher. Just how averse can one be to offering toggles? A simple off/on switch labeled "Vampires are real" and we could decide whether we want vampire gameplay or not, while keeping all the Build/Buy objects. No need to nerf anything. Realism players would simply untick the box in every save, occult players keep it checked always and story players could decided on a save-by-save basis.

I think everyone would be happy if they made two packs instead of one. A full pack like vampires and a second pack with all the BB and CAS items for that pack. That way they can have all the BB and CAS without the Vampires. So with that in mind make a Werewolf pack and a pack with the CAS and BB for the Werewolf pack, etc, etc, etc. Let's add in all possible paranormal packs that way. And while we're at it let's start yesterday.

I think this solution would overlook those of us who belong to the “middle“ group in all of this; that is those of us who like to play with occults but also enjoy more “realistic” gameplay and don’t necessarily want this to play out at the same time. I think it’s annoying that Vlad isn’t there when I want him to be, but insists on turning up whenever I find him to be out of place, sneaking in while my sims are having a party just so he can stay and use their computer for half the night 🙄

This goes for many unwelcome NPCs though and I wish we had more control over how they invade our story territory without the need of mods.
    I agree with @EternalSunshine that toggles or lot traits would be a much more ideal solution. It may be that they say adding toggles could potentially end up breaking the game, but we’ve seen toggles being added with several of the more recent packs so it’s not like it isn’t an option at all. And that way those players who’d prefer to go all in on occults could do that, those who’d rather not would have that option and those of us who’d enjoy a mix where we can let occults run wild in some saves, have them take the backseat in others and just have a little bit of everything in the rest of our saves could do that instead of it being one big muddle in every save.

I feel that since they added lot challenges to base game, some of the mechanics of previous packs should be reconsidered and transferred . Getting vampires to visit a lot should be part of lot challenge now, same way cottage living foxes cannot visit the farm and terrorize the chickens unless that lot challenge is activated.
    This way there’s no need for complaints from both sides. If a player doesn’t want something to happen on their lot, don’t use the challenge. The beauty is that we can have as many lot challenges as we like.

Of course there will always be a NerfSquad lurking in the shadows, ready to attack the moment some sim does something without another sims consent, (at least that’s how they’d read it) but sure….we just have to try and stand our ground whenever they open their genius mouth and open our maws wider and howl louder.

The lot challenge has been the fairest toggle yet and doesn’t require a pack to be split. Personally I prefer getting a Game Pack such as Vampires to include a gameplay system, a world and CAS & BB to make the entire occult experience feel more complete.

I think the use of lot challenges could absolutely be a way to implement aspects people think are missing from previously released packs while at the same time catering to different kinds of play styles as it seems more unlikely that they would turn up the volume regarding these aspects that players say have been nerfed. In this sense they really did very well with the paranormal pack and it’s definitely something that could be used in future packs as well. Of course there are also areas of the game that lot challenges won’t effect like the various festivals, but that might not matter to most people anyway.

I completely understand the frustration when a feature you enjoyed gets altered or removed, it’s incredibly annoying when they do that, but it also seems to me that part of the problem also came with the way some elements were implemented. A comparison was made between Parenthood and Vampires (sorry that I’m not quoting all the posts I’m referencing, but it would get really long if I did), but I think there’s a difference in that if I get Parenthood, but don’t want to play with the additional features when raising a child, I can choose for my sim(s) not to have children and then I don’t have to deal with them (although of course if I do want them to have kids then I’m stuck with the new feature), whereas if I get Vampires, because I actually want to play with them sometimes and not for the world, or the CAS or the BB, they still end up in all my saves (more or less, yes I know probably less, but from what I’m gathering that’s because it was changed) anyway. What I’m trying to get at is that I much prefer for there to be freedom for the player in terms of choice, for us to have options. Didn’t they use to say “you decide”? And in that regard I do think that having toggles or using lot challenges could be a way to accommodate a wider range of players instead of some players feeling that they were just left behind.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited February 2022
    The solution is not separate packs. The best solution is an extensive toggle system in the game options menu. I like, and primarily play occults, and even I would appreciate toggles in the game which could control where, when, and how often the various occults appear.

100x this. There is no need for a separate pack if people can just toggle occults off altogether, just like we can toggle off certain types of weather or fame. It's too bad they only remembered how toggles work later on xD
    Post edited by SimTrippy on
  • Options
    FreechheitFreechheit Posts: 128 Member
    Freechheit wrote: »
    Hopefully, I actually can invite my sim's ghost-friends to the wedding.

I have some ghosts in my game. They live in a played household, they have a cell phone and they can call their friends over. However, this doesn't work the other way around.

I just realised that ghosts can be invited to some parties - maybe due to the update? However, for now I was only able to invite ghosts to a Meet & Greet event and to a dance party. Other parties did not work. (Birthdays Party, House Party, Spooky Party, Dinner Party, Weenie Roast, Charity Benefit Party,..)

43060213vt.jpg

I wonder, if this was intended? I hope this doesn't get "fixed", if it is a bug. Ghosts are social beings, too!

• Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    Are Pirates considered occult Sims? They are kind of derived from fairy tale, but not really supernatural, unless you count the ones that are stuck eternally on ghost ships. Lately I'm trying to think of how I can add Pirates to my game.
  • Options
    RedShoe7RedShoe7 Posts: 706 Member
    Elliandre wrote: »
    Are Pirates considered occult Sims? They are kind of derived from fairy tale, but not really supernatural, unless you count the ones that are stuck eternally on ghost ships. Lately I'm trying to think of how I can add Pirates to my game.

No, pirates are not occults, unless they are occult pirates ( ie ghost pirate, vampire pirate, alien pirate?)
  • Options
    HahcbeachwavesHahcbeachwaves Posts: 121 Member
    edited February 2022
    Deleted
    Post edited by Hahcbeachwaves on
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,464 Member

They're not Occults but they are deviant mortals, which in my game, belong with the Occults. I have a few pirates myself. One lives in the shipwreck in Sulani, his story is that he encountered a real Mermaid while at sea and has been obsessing to find her. He is stranded on an island near a volcano, wicked Sirens, and a Voodoo Mambo while he tries to find a way to capture "his" Mermaid. He doesn't realize there are evil Sirens in these waters so the first actual Mermaid that is revealed to him will be the one he tries to catch. It could mean a terrible fate for him...

I also have a whole pirate crew of mixed breed Werewolf pirates (I used the Vampires pack to give them their "Werewolf" form) who live on a ship on the island of Brindleton Bay. They're called the Sea Dogs. They pretty much keep to themselves but if someone strays into their territory they could meet a horrible fate.

Pirates are fun and pretty easy to create since we have island and bay worlds for them to reside in and pirate outfits from Get Famous and Spooky Stuff. 😊
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,131 Member
    Pirates are human unless they change into an Alien, Mermaids, Spellcasters, Vampires or all the above. ;)
  • Options
    @RedShoe7 Thanks! I'm thinking my pirate will be human but from the classic pirate fairy tale, so his crew will be a skeleton crew on a ghost ship maybe and be supernatural, but technically my main pirate then, I will consider him human until he gains magic.

@LiELF I also have a mermaid living there. So I'm thinking my pirate will come back to look for his ship and that treasure chest inside and will find the mermaid and their story will begin. I don't have any evil mermaids actually all my mermaids are so good like Disney mermaids haha I even made Ariel :lol: . I can't imagine an evil mermaid I watched Little Mermaid too much as a kid. I love the idea of werewolf pirates! I want to make some vampire pirates in my game too. Did you make the werewolves with CC? Using the 2nd vampire form for that is a cool idea.

@SERVERFRA I think you have alien pirates? I haven't figured out on how to add Aliens to Tartosa yet, but I am planning a new save with so many stories to keep me busy for a while and I want to add all the different types of Sims I have. Alien pirates is a cool idea. Or evil alien mermaids would be fun, since my mermaids are too innocent and cute, maybe I need some evil alien mermaids to go with the pirates.
  • Options
    JerrelloJerrello Posts: 896 Member
    Yea however kits have become their 1st priority which is the result of the new wedding disaster pack.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,469 Member

Aye, @Elliandre - Pirates could play a FUNdamental role in our stories, in any shape or form, however, they do require a strong leader, a Captain of the bravest and most devious kind.
    Without a Captain yer buccaneers will be nothing but A MANKY BARREL ‘O GROG BLOSSOMS BOBBIN’ ON THE BLEEDIN’ BROINY DEEP AAARGGHH!!!! ☠️
  • Options
    Aye, @Elliandre - Pirates could play a FUNdamental role in our stories, in any shape or form, however, they do require a strong leader, a Captain of the bravest and most devious kind.
    Without a Captain yer buccaneers will be nothing but A MANKY BARREL ‘O GROG BLOSSOMS BOBBIN’ ON THE BLEEDIN’ BROINY DEEP AAARGGHH!!!! ☠️

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 Aye Captain, thanks for making me laugh. Is your Sim on the gallery? I will download him and make him the pirate captain :lol:

• Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,578 Member
    Cottage Living was such a missed opportunity for proper Plantsims! Had to get that off my chest.

Between Vampires and Realm of Magic, the Sims 4 dev team have proven occult is something they can get right. I'd love to see them capitalize on their strengths by going to bat for a couple of more Occults. They could make adorable plantsims and design them specifically to interact with gardening, farming, and green traits. Moodlets fueled by sunlight, water, and dirt. I kind of do all of this with the Forbidden Fruit plantsims but I'd like a full blown occult just the same. There's a lot of room for them to be excellent.
  • Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,349 EA Community Manager

Obligatory.

eAlGDzo.gif
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    EA_Cade wrote: »

Obligatory.

eAlGDzo.gif

@EA_Cade Haha okay I'll get to work on my pirate crew then. :heart:
  • Options
    DuckyQueenDuckyQueen Posts: 342 Member
    I don’t have any occult game packs but mermaids look fun and I have always had an interest in fairies since I was younger and would love to play as one even though I am a most definite family player
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    YellowLady wrote: »
    I don’t have any occult game packs but mermaids look fun and I have always had an interest in fairies since I was younger and would love to play as one even though I am a most definite family player

That's cool, there are a lot of Occult Family players too. (I think we actually get the best of both, because we can work just about any pack that comes along into our gameplay. Generations? Sure, we're playing with Generations of Spellcasters. Werewolves? Ooh, a new kind of occult to add to the family tree. :smiley: )
  • Options
    FreechheitFreechheit Posts: 128 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    That's cool, there are a lot of Occult Family players too. (I think we actually get the best of both, because we can work just about any pack that comes along into our gameplay. Generations? Sure, we're playing with Generations of Spellcasters. Werewolves? Ooh, a new kind of occult to add to the family tree. :smiley: )

Excactly!
    I love playing with occult sims and I also love family gameplay. The little occult baby cribs are so cute, can't leave them empty!
    I also have a whole pirate crew of mixed breed Werewolf pirates (I used the Vampires pack to give them their "Werewolf" form) who live on a ship on the island of Brindleton Bay. They're called the Sea Dogs. They pretty much keep to themselves but if someone strays into their territory they could meet a horrible fate.

Pirates are fun and pretty easy to create since we have island and bay worlds for them to reside in and pirate outfits from Get Famous and Spooky Stuff. 😊

Oooh, this is a great idea!
    I think I might create a club for my ghost-sims. They can dress up like pirates and meet at the shipwreck in Sulani. It's a nightclub now. They can scare other sims and have some drinks (and create puddles). We can't set 'talk like a pirate' as a group activity, can we? That would be awesome!
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    @SERVERFRA I think you have alien pirates? I haven't figured out on how to add Aliens to Tartosa yet, but I am planning a new save with so many stories to keep me busy for a while and I want to add all the different types of Sims I have. Alien pirates is a cool idea. Or evil alien mermaids would be fun, since my mermaids are too innocent and cute, maybe I need some evil alien mermaids to go with the pirates.

You might be thinking Pirates of the Seven Seas, but I think more along the lines of Space Pirates (BG Interstellar Smuggler (Astronaut career branch), JtB Galactic Privateer aspiration).
  • Options
    ThatFlutterGuyThatFlutterGuy Posts: 19 Member
    Gosh I hope so. I’m a die hard occult fan and my whole game is based around Vladislaus Straud trying to gain enough power to “rule the world” and I have a team of good guys trying to bring him down. This would fit very well if they put out more. I wouldn’t want zombies again though, I feel like it would be double dipping with the strangerville pack, but I would love to see werewolves and fairies again.
  • Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,578 Member
    YellowLady wrote: »

I'm a really big fan of the Sims 4 mermaids. The Sulani world is meant for swimming and mermaids rule the roost when it comes to that. They have some unique powers over weather and songs to affect other Sims moods. I think they're pretty neat. Sulani is just such a beautiful world also.
  • Options

You might be thinking Pirates of the Seven Seas, but I think more along the lines of Space Pirates (BG Interstellar Smuggler (Astronaut career branch), JtB Galactic Privateer aspiration).

@EmmaVane I think you are totally right haha. I'm not familiar with that, but I watched too many 1850's classic Hollywood pirate movies with my Dad when I was a little kid. Hard to picture any pirate other than a swashbuckler with a sword like Errol Flynn or Burt Lancaster. Space Pirates sound so fun though.