Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A southern pack ?

Comments

• Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    @EmmaVane You're right! I have Outdoor Retreat, and I was wondering how I could have missed Gumbo and Fruit Cobbler. Then I discovered a Sim has to reach Cooking Level 7 to make Fruit Cobbler, and Level 8 to unlock Gumbo. I've never stuck with a Sim long enough to acquire that much culinary skill.

Now I have new incentives to help my Sims learn to cook. Thanks for pointing that out! :)

You can also add it to restaurants in Willow Creek.
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I can address Southern culture, too; I was born in Maryland and attended university in Virginia. My sister and her family now live in Atlanta, so I've spent quite a bit of time there.

For me, BBQ is the quintessential Southern meal. I won't touch on the differences between Memphis, Carolina, Texas, and Kansas City BBQ, unless someone truly wants to read about it. I know Kansas City isn't in the South, but they have a dog in the BBQ race, too. Some people eat cole slaw on their BBQ sandwiches, but I prefer mine without...and light on the sauce so the flavor of the meat comes through. @Amapola76 's variations--pulled pork and brisket--are great ideas, along with ribs.

Fried chicken, with potato salad or macaroni salad, is another classic meal. So is chicken and waffles--either fried chicken with waffles and syrup (deep Southern-style) or pulled chicken with waffles and gravy (Pennsylvania Dutch-style).

Shrimp and grits, gumbo, and black-eyed peas would fit perfectly on a plate in Willow Creek.

Cobblers and pies are absolute must-haves for dessert.

I could go on and on and on...and while we're at it, we can discuss other regional food traditions, too!

Yes, BBQ is practically a religion in the South! It has many different "denominations" depending on the state. I like mine without slaw also. I know for other parts of the world, BBQ means hamburgers and hotdogs. For us, that is not BBQ, just a cookout.

Oh, and has anybody mentioned biscuits and gravy?
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    telemwill wrote: »
    I can address Southern culture, too; I was born in Maryland and attended university in Virginia. My sister and her family now live in Atlanta, so I've spent quite a bit of time there.

For me, BBQ is the quintessential Southern meal. I won't touch on the differences between Memphis, Carolina, Texas, and Kansas City BBQ, unless someone truly wants to read about it. I know Kansas City isn't in the South, but they have a dog in the BBQ race, too. Some people eat cole slaw on their BBQ sandwiches, but I prefer mine without...and light on the sauce so the flavor of the meat comes through. @Amapola76 's variations--pulled pork and brisket--are great ideas, along with ribs.

Fried chicken, with potato salad or macaroni salad, is another classic meal. So is chicken and waffles--either fried chicken with waffles and syrup (deep Southern-style) or pulled chicken with waffles and gravy (Pennsylvania Dutch-style).

Shrimp and grits, gumbo, and black-eyed peas would fit perfectly on a plate in Willow Creek.

I could go on and on and on...and while we're at it, we can discuss other regional food traditions, too!

Yes, BBQ is practically a religion in the South! It has many different "denominations" depending on the state. I like mine without slaw also. I know for other parts of the world, BBQ means hamburgers and hotdogs. For us, that is not BBQ, just a cookout.

Cue confusion of the Brits and anyone else for whom "Biscuits" means what Americans call "Cookies."

I know - and love - biscuits and gravy, and I'm not even from the south. (Just used to visit a south adjacent area when I was a kid) I'd love to see them added to the Sims.
  • Options
    Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,422 Member

Oh my goodness, biscuits and gravy. Headed for a food coma right about now. My sims could have biscuits and gravy every Sunday morning, the way my family did when I was growing up.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited February 2022

Potato salad and Macaroni salad are always a staple for BBQ’s here in California too, whether you are eating chicken. Hamburgers, or anything else from a grill.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,905 Member

I think what I was picturing for the art for the bbq was two options: one, a sandwich with pulled pork, and a little cup of coleslaw on the plate, so your sims can decide for themselves whether to add it. :) Personally, I do like it with the coleslaw. Maybe with a second little cup of blackeyed peas/bean salad. Then for the second plate, sliced brisket with a side of mac & cheese and a side of greens and a little piece of cornbread.

+1 to the chicken and waffles, but make it hot chicken. Meanwhile, they could draw the regular fried chicken with a little side of mashed potatoes and gravy and some green beans... which you know have to be those super unhealthy green beans that cook all day long.

+1 to all the mentions of biscuit and gravy below.

Now I really want to make a meat & three restaurant.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Don't forget sweet potatoes.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

Cue confusion of the Brits and anyone else for whom "Biscuits" means what Americans call "Cookies."

Not a Brit but Yup.
    I heard “biscuits and gravy” and almost choked on my biscuit.
    Imagine a sweet little chocolate chip cookie being dunked in beef gravy. 🤢
    You Americans are so weird. *

I’m weird too.

6-CF308-FD-046-D-4735-B3-BF-81-AA9-C07-E6-CF.gif
  • Options

Not a Brit but Yup.

I’m weird too.

Nope , biscuits are made of dough.
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    edited February 2022
    If horses were added to Sims 4 I don't care what area they choose. Just bring 'em back. 🐴
    This was my first foal in Sims 3 Named him Maxis. LOL

ETTgf9A.jpg
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options

Not a Brit but Yup.

I’m weird too.

It is a little weird. But weird and delicious often go hand in hand. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biscuits_and_gravy
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Choir they could bring .
    Post edited by Horrorgirl6 on
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member

Not a Brit but Yup.

I’m weird too.

Haha! Not usually beef gravy, but a creamy gravy often with sausage. I'm guessing our biscuits are more like British scones but fluffier?
  • Options
    Nope , biscuits are made of dough.
    Ah! That explains it. The biscuits we have over here are made of...I dunno...some strange substance. Bit like Play-Doh but for grown ups. And then they get baked in the oven. Most of them are extremely tasty and that's what counts! <3
    Amapola76 wrote: »

Oh thank you! o:)
    I have to say though that that is a very peculiar looking dish... :D

Haha! Not usually beef gravy, but a creamy gravy often with sausage. I'm guessing our biscuits are more like British scones but fluffier?
    I spent some more time researching the biscuit side of things and indeed they do look like scones!
    Although the entire set-up reminds me of Creamy Chicken Vol-au-Vents, but I can imagine it tastes nothing like it!
    I've been trying to picture a Creamy Sausage Scone Vol-au-Vent, but....I guess I just have to be there in order to truly experience it. :D

All we eat over here is potatoes.
  • Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,336 EA Community Manager
    Well, reading through this thread was a mistake. Big shout out to all of you for making my Texan stomach make the unholy sounds it currently is.

Now I have to go order some biscuits and gravy, peach cobbler and sweet tea.

Also, I'm gonna say it: grits are freakin gross.

#TeamHashbrown all day.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    bevillebeville Posts: 1,151 Member
    edited February 2022
    @EA_Cade no way! I'm from Texas and Grits are awesome!! You have to know how to cook and seasoned it right. 😉
  • Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,336 EA Community Manager
    beville wrote: »
    @EA_Cade no way! I'm from Texas and Grits are awesome!! You have to know how to cook and seasoned it right. 😉

I think it's the consistency for me. I just can't do grits 🤮.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    Amapola76 wrote: »

Oh thank you! o:)

Oh yes, it definitely falls into the category of things that taste way better than they look.

Also, it's one of those dishes that can go so wrong if not properly made. You never want to end up with rock hard biscuits and a floury, bland gravy.

But get yourself some nice, fluffy biscuits, and pour on a good sauce, so yum! A good sawmill gravy is basically a bechamel sauce that starts with a nice, buttery roux, and then you want to make sure you have an adequate amount of a good sausage, and LOTS of pepper. Maybe even a splash of hot sauce if you are so inclined, or you can just use a spicy sausage. For the vegetarians among us, you can substitute finely chopped mushrooms for the sausage, but then you're going to want to add lots of herbs and maybe a dash of liquid smoke to add some seasoning back in.
  • Options
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    Well, reading through this thread was a mistake. Big shout out to all of you for making my Texan stomach make the unholy sounds it currently is.

Now I have to go order some biscuits and gravy, peach cobbler and sweet tea.

Also, I'm gonna say it: grits are freakin gross.

#TeamHashbrown all day.

Grits are bad hash browns forever.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I would love that idea. I so want horses back.
    I also want the following Old Western in Sims 4:
    Stables
    Playable Schoolhouses from child to teens
    Country Doctor with Clinic
    Merchant Store
    Olden Days Post Office
    Saloon/Billiard Venue with Dancing Gals & Guys
    Outdoor Sweetheart Dancing
    Quilting Club
    Playable Shireffs Office with Shireff & Deputy
    North American Aboriginal Natives with CAS, skills & traits
    Western Country Music

NO PHONES ON.

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    beville wrote: »

I think it's the consistency for me. I just can't do grits 🤮.

Neither can I. And I'm a southern girl.
    What is a grit anyway?

https://youtu.be/pWC0sKCS5oA
  • Options
    Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,422 Member

Not a Brit but Yup.

But... there is also "biscuits and chocolate gravy". My mom never made that for breakfast. It was strictly a dinnertime delight. That might work for your chocolate chip biscuit. Although a sugar overdose would probably loom on the horizon.

https://www.yummly.com/recipe/Biscuits-and-Chocolate-Gravy-2083708
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Monet11 wrote: »

Not a Brit but Yup.

But... there is also "biscuits and chocolate gravy". My mom never made that for breakfast. It was strictly a dinnertime delight. That might work for your chocolate chip biscuit. Although a sugar overdose would probably loom on the horizon.

https://www.yummly.com/recipe/Biscuits-and-Chocolate-Gravy-2083708

Now, I can live with biscuits (scones) and chocolate gravy (still rather peculiar in my opinion) but chocolate chip biscuits and Chocolate gravy? OOF! That’s asking for serious trouble haha.
    I personally shouldn’t be fed anything too sugary after my dinner. It could turn me into a Gremlin, and not a cute one.
    I do drink black coffee with my biscuits (cookies). Over here we’d call that type of black coffee “Americano”. Ever heard of it?

Also, this thread seems to have turned into a food tasting party. I never had grits before, but hash browns are pretty big over here, because potatoes. IF we’re talking about the same hash browns that is. Who knows at this stage? 😆
    I always wanted to taste gumbo. Is it spicy? I love spicy dishes.
    Plus let’s not disregard the horses. Anyone got some carrots and sugar cubes for our mighty steeds?!

Re: Yee Haw EP : I’d like those mechanical rodeo bull machines in my game! I used to place one in almost all my Sims 3 bars.

Re: Southern US inspired EP: could we get a swamp world please, with swamp houses & houseboats , hoover crafts and sure why not, an alligator lot challenge. That way It’ll be much harder to keep our little crawfish safe and more importantly, our sims.
    Oh, I’ve also heard several swampy & boggy areas are inhabited by werebeasts. Thought I’d mention it. 😇
  • Options
    Maybe having area with a swamp.They can have catching fireflies and put them in jars.
  • Options
    Crawfish , and fried catfish is a must.