Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A southern pack ?

Comments

• Options
    wahini2024wahini2024 Posts: 547 Member
    Living in the south myself this would be amazing. Cities like New Orleans, Savannah and Charleston would be gorgeous inspiration... and yes the culture can be very unique. There is a lot of lore as well with real life voodoo and haunted areas. Much of the early architecture was built to keep spirits out of the homes as was the superstition such as specific paint colors, rounded corners and intricate iron gating. Being a great host was shown by owning pineapples. Very quirky.

As for horses... some areas use them to ride (more Texas and southwest) but on the eastern side of the south and coastal they use them with carriages still. The music varies from country to jazz (dueling piano bars) blues and bluegrass.

The food list is forever long.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    edited February 2022
    Re: Southern US inspired EP: could we get a swamp world please, with swamp houses & houseboats , hoover crafts and sure why not, an alligator lot challenge. That way It’ll be much harder to keep our little crawfish safe and more importantly, our sims.
    Oh, I’ve also heard several swampy & boggy areas are inhabited by werebeasts. Thought I’d mention it. 😇

Soooo... most of the south is not swampy, that's mostly Florida and Louisiana. We already have a New Orleans-inspired area, so that mostly leaves us Florida, and Florida is... kind of doing its own thing. I mean, technically it's southern, but... it's unique in a lot of ways.

Now, that's not to say a swamp environment wouldn't be interesting. But, there are also swamp ecosystems in parts of India and certain African countries. Maybe instead of adding them to a southern pack, it would be even better as an opportunity to see some new worlds added that are inspired by areas we haven't seen as much in The Sims.

ETA: there are lots of different ways they could go, but personally if I were designing a southern pack, I'd go for a mountain town with a river and creeks. Something more like eastern Georgia/western North Carolina/the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Since I'm dreaming: I could imagine a hobby pack in a world with 3-4 neighborhoods. (1) a downtown area with an arts center (including items for new hobbies like sculpture and glass blowing), an apartment building, a couple of historic residential lots, and one or two retail lots, as well as an open plaza area with food trucks where arts and literary festivals could be held. (2) a middle class residential neighborhood with 3-4 medium sized residential lots. (This is the neighborhood I could most easily do without, but it would be nice to have.) (3) a more expensive residential neighborhood with large lots modeled after Kentucky/Virginia horse country, including one 64x64 lot for a horse farm/stables. (4) A mountain neighborhood with 4 total lots: 2 smaller lots for cabins, a park, and a rental/campground lot. Imagine what this art team could do with a Smoky Mountains theme!
    Post edited by Amapola76 on
  • Options
    TammorsTammors Posts: 357 Member
    If you're basing a horse pack in North America, a Western pack would be better than a Southern pack. When people talk about an American-based horses back, I think they're talking cowboys and rodeos. They didn't have either in the American south. (As far as Kentucky Derby, isn't that heavily based on English-style horsing culture? A British pack might be better for that, so the game could add some other elements.)

BTW, Western horse culture is not a Southwest thing. It includes southern and northern states equally. One of the most famous jobs of cowboys was to go on cattle drives that brought cattle from ranches in SW states to railyards in NW states. The cowboy culture was in all the states they passed through, partied in, and eventually spent their lives in.

I live in Minnesota, far up north. Most people who were raised up here know how to ride horses, knows somebody who owns them, and many went to horse camps as kids. You see a lot of people wearing cowboy boots, western shirts, and even cowboy hats. (The cowboy hats aren't as popular as they used to be though.) Everybody wears jeans. We have a lot of bars and restaurants with wild-west themes. Western art and wildlife art are both very popular. Country music is very popular (too popular imo). We have rodeos and country-western music festivals. It's the same way in Wyoming, Montana, and the Dakotas.

If I was designing a horse pack, I would probably base it in a plains state like Nebraska or South Dakota. A desert type place would also be great, but we already have a nice desert location with Oasis.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    A horse-pack based in NA should also include Native American stuff, which would be super cool, and that would include cultures of several tribes, mainly Southwest and Plains. Things many people associate with the Wild West such as teepees, feathered headdresses, dreamcatchers, furs, peace pipes, and "cigar-store indian" sculptures are from the Plains Indians that settled more in Northern states. (When I think SW Native Americans, I think of Navaho, Apache, and Hopi tribes and their art--nice pottery and woven materials.) Both are cool, but they are not the same.

BTW, would a Western-based horse pack be set in modern times, or a history-based pack? I like history, so the latter would be fun. Plus you could use more Native American stuff in a history-based pack, because traditional costume nowadays is limited to pow wows and tourist sites.

It could be set up as a "wild west town" that tourists from other eps could visit. They would just have to set it up that npcs only wear the costumes from that pack if they are in that zone. (Although players could change that if they wanted a whole wild west game.) I would love to see them do that with a medieval pack too, so the zone that comes with the pack would be a "Renaissance Festival", unless the player wants it all over their world.

• Options
    BTW, if they did a southern US pack, I think a swampy zone would be totally cool! I can come up with all sorts of neat ideas for something like that.

• Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    If hope they do add a Southern pack with all this delicious food and horses. I just hope they also remember to add unicorns at the same time. And I would really love miniature horses. I'm slightly obsessed with mini horses. If they added them to the game the size of cats and dogs it would be the best pack. And I would want to breed them to make little tiny baby foals. :heart:
  • Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,336 EA Community Manager
    Tammors wrote: »
    If you're basing a horse pack in North America, a Western pack would be better than a Southern pack. When people talk about an American-based horses back, I think they're talking cowboys and rodeos. They didn't have either in the American south.

TIL that we don't have horses or rodeos in Texas. 😶
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Would lurv me a Wild West Sims 4 Adventure and ride me horsey into the sunset, YEE-HAW, BANG BANG!

Let’s not forget about the poor Shetland ponies though.
    Aww…

3-D6-BC20-F-F73-D-428-C-B215-2320-A7-B6-BCE2.jpg

Sweet Little fluffy hooves. Great for toddlers too.
    When I was a kid teen person I was repeatedly chased by this miniature Shetland Pony called “Basie”. Basie was absolutely lethal. He looked like the cuddly guy in the picture but he had the attitude of a giant black bull. Shetland ponies are deceptively cute, just like Grizzlies. Grizzlies ain’t teddy bears either!
    Whenever I came near Basie he got all tense and immediately changed into attack mode, which meant I had to run like the wind in order to survive his agonizing headbutts. Long time afterwards someone told me he was simply protecting the two larger mares that he shared the paddocks with, from my presence. What a brave little guy.
    He was such a Mean Mane Machine tho, but I loved him. 😆

cute horse <3:)
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    edited February 2022
    A Southern United States pack really sounds like a lot of fun, with great food and horses too, but I have to ask... why are the South Eastern States known as the South, when the South Western States are known as the South West and aren't there Cow/ranching...folk in some of the northern states, like Wyoming and Montana? :*
    Post edited by Kironide on
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    edited February 2022
    Kironide wrote: »
    A Southern United States pack really sounds like a lot of fun, with great food and horses too, but I have to ask... why are the South Eastern States known as the South, when the South Western States are known as the South West and aren't there Cow/ranching...folk in some of the northern states, like Wyoming and Montana? :*

I'm guessing it's because of the way the US developed historically. The southwestern states were settled later, so the whole idea of the West is iconic for us. And, yes, ranching is possible in many western states.
    Post edited by telemwill on
  • Options
    KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    Thanks, that explains it nicely. :)
  • Options
    kayt45kayt45 Posts: 434 Member
    I would buy a southern food kit honestly. Give me my bbq and fried okra. I also think music/bands could tie into a pack with southern influences.
  • Options
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    If you're basing a horse pack in North America, a Western pack would be better than a Southern pack. When people talk about an American-based horses back, I think they're talking cowboys and rodeos. They didn't have either in the American south.

Texas is part of the West.

• Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    EA_Cade wrote: »

Texas is part of the West.

Try telling that to a Texan. ;)

To be fair, I do consider Texas to be more American Southwest and therefore more associated with Western Tropes than Deep South ones, but believe me, Texas is part of the South. Just look at any Civil War map.
  • Options
    Kai252018Kai252018 Posts: 76 Member
    Chicken fried steak is for sure one of those southern meal with country gravy and mashed potatoes and mixed vegetables and butter rolls! Pecan pie for dessert.
  • Options
    TrimothTrimoth Posts: 418 Member
    No, I'd prefer a Malibu beached themed pack with horses
    tumblr_np609wKvSy1ssn1m9o2_540.jpg

Origin id: trimoth

• Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    Kai252018 wrote: »
    Chicken fried steak is for sure one of those southern meal with country gravy and mashed potatoes and mixed vegetables and butter rolls! Pecan pie for dessert.

I've never heard of chicken fried steak. I just looked up a recipe. That looks delicious :yum:
  • Options
    @Elliandre Oh trust me it is!
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member

Never had that, but I'm not a fan of beef.

One of the independent fried chicken places locally had another chicken fried invention though, and I really loved it. They don't make it any more. Ribs. They were marinated in BBQ seasonings first, then coated in the flour mix and fried. So tasty.

Kebab shops here in the UK also generally have Spicy Spuds as a staple and extra alternative to chips. Boiled/par-boiled potatoes coated in the flour mix and deep fried. So good.

Basically, that peppery flour coating works on ALL THE THINGS.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member

Love it! One of my favorite meals at Bob Evans. Substitute apple pie with ice cream and I'm on board. 😋
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    Fried chicken livers
  • Options
    Anyone down for some chittlins?
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    I just tweeted how I can't stand another American world but honestly if they made a horse pack and gave us a world that represented native Americans and also southern black culture I would be happy. I know a lot of ppl have been asking for soul food and I hope we do get it. Im jamaican but it always amazed me how many similarities I can find in our food and soul food. Like im pretty sure collard greens are the same thing as callaloo in Jamaica. Which would make sense since it originated from enslaved west africans. So getting greens or callaloo would at least represent Caribbean culture too even though I actually don't like it at all but my sims are less picky than me lol.

And I mean we basically have 0 representation of native american culture so I think it would be a perfect pack to introduce it.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    Anyone down for some chittlins?

Also in pretty sure my mom have made chittlins when we lived in Jamaica too but I can't remember what we called it lol. Its intestines right?
    Check out my twitter and tumblr