Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What traits do you never or rarely use ?

Comments

• Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Trait_(The_Sims_4)
    Traits for those who forget them like me. I don’t use a lot of them.
    I have never used lazy, clumsy, erratic, book lover, foodie. The child of the whatever traits from Island living, or any of the animal lovers. The ones from C&Ds and IL feel like they should be reward traits. I ain’t wasting a trait slot for those traits
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,350 Member
    edited January 2022
    In term of gameplay I didn't find a good reason to waste a slot for these traits :
    • Emotional traits
      • Creative : I prefer to use Great Acoustics / Natural Light lot traits
      • Genius : I prefer to use Science Lair lot trait
      • Self-assured : Confident mood doesn't unlock interesting interactions
    • Hobby traits
    • Lifestyle traits
      • Clumsy : it doesn't unlock interesting interactions
      • Dance Machine : it could be replaced by "Like Dance".
    • Social traits
      • Insider : It could be merged with Bro or Outgoing
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    The dance machine is so useless imo. Dancing only has 5 levels, is not like it’s a boost or anything. It only makes them want to dance, it’s more of a hobby than a trait.
    Insider is a completely useless trait. It’s wasting a trait slot for a trait that lets you know the clubs, but the clubs could also very well depend on your traits. Like huh? That should’ve been a reward trait
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,117 Member
    edited January 2022
    Perfectionist - it feels like it has a limited scope
    Child of the Islands - for the same reason as above
    Kleptomaniac - because it's annoying when items are missing from communal lots (unless I'm playing a household with a thief).
    Vegetarian - I like that this is in the game but it should be a like/dislike not a trait, and sometimes I forget to monitor a vegetarian sim's meals.
    Lactose Intolerant - the same reasons as above, but more annoying.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,078 Member
    There are a lot of traits I don't use because of my one family play style. I may temporarily change a sim's traits to better align with a career or aspiration I'm working on.

The traits I purposely avoid are bro, clumsy, erratic, evil, gloomy, glutton, goofball, hates children, hot headed, jealous, kleptomaniac, lazy, loner, mean, slob, snob, and vegetarian. Vegetarian because recipes/cooking is one of favorite game features and I want my sims to try all the foods in game.
  • Options
    KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    Goofball trait, because well... exploding toilets, enough said.
  • Options
    BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    Snob and slob. And I rarely use Good, as I don't think it does much (and I think such a title ought to be earned, not just given).
  • Options
    SikoahGraceSikoahGrace Posts: 1,399 Member
    Gloomy, goofball, high maintenance, foodie, child of the islands, child of the ocean, childish, dog lover, klepto, erractic, lactose intolerant, squeamish, vegetarian, evil, hates children, noncommittal, paranoid, proper, self absorbed, loner, snob and slob.

I do use CC traits though.
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited January 2022
    There's just a few that I don't like.

I will never use the erratic one, because I have family and a former roomate diagnosed with schizophrenia and manic bipolar disorder and I think this is the worst illness anyone can possibly have, so I'm just not able to find auditory hallucinations or delusions funny at all. I also don't use the Vampire trait that gives hallucinations to others. I know they got a lot of complaints about it and I'm glad they removed the straight jacket on the trait, because honestly the trait is just so offensive to me I will not even touch it haha. I don't understand how this fits in with their inclusiveness policy, making sure every ethnic, gender and sexual minority is included, while at the same time mocking the most severe mental illness in an insane trait with a straight jacket on it. When the trait comes up I usually swap it for the paranoid/conspiracy theory one. I don't really see that one as connected to such severe mental illness and disability.

I also don't like the slob one. The farting humor and constant puddles is really annoying. I usually switch that for the lazy one, because I prefer the lazy interactions.

And the childish one. It's too weird to see the parent Sim go get Theresa the dinosaur toy out of the kid's toy chest and play with it lol
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,738 Member
    edited January 2022
    • Ambitious - I think they get tense too often.
    • Klepto - Steals things and you can't prevent it or get items back.
    • Glutton - Will eat autonomously when they are not hungry.
    • Mean - They are too mean towards everyone. Even their friends.
    • Noncommital - They get too much tense from having a stable job.
    • Insider - You have to go to clubs often, otherwise they will get bored.
    I like the other traits.
  • Options
    haisinhaisin Posts: 951 Member
    The only one I really struggle with is the kleptomaniac, because I dislike to lose items. I think it's a fun trait to play and I have tried to give it to my sims, but then I don't want my other sims to be friends with them and spend time with them, because I'm anxious they'll steal their items :sweat_smile: I know it wouldn't have to be such a big deal, they are just items, but it's hard to ignore it. One day I'll use that trait and play with it more.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,698 Member
    edited January 2022
    I try to see traits less as technical programming with additional pie menu options for activity and communication, but rather as a description of my sim's mindset. If I think an activity suits Sam, I'll direct Sam to do that activity regardless of his traits. If Sam is an Insider, I think differently about his ego than if he was not an Insider (although I agree traits should have more on offer than Insider has). I'm quite happy with the spread, and I use most of the traits - some more commonly, of course.

I hardly use the Sulani and Vampire traits, simply because they feel kind of restricted to those worlds. It's not so easy to live a beach life elsewhere as we can't even swim in other worlds.

In addition; I use the traits as a way to pass down personality from parents to children. Briefly, a boy will first pick a trait from mom, and next a trait from dad, and girls first from dad, and later from mom. The third trait will be chosen gene independent, hopefully based on skills if I don't already have a plan for that sim. I also choose Aspiration from the parents' Aspirations. If mom has a Popularity Asp the teen child will choose from any Popularity traits though, so say if parents have Popularity + Knowledge there will be many Aspirations to choose from, to avoid all kids ending up with more or less the same life. I follow the rule strictly for the first couple kids, then maybe additional kids might search more outside of what is typical for the family.

Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2022
    I play my game through many generations and other than one single sim that I make to start the game, I randomize the traits, so for me there isn't any that I never or rarely use, because it is all luck of the draw. Keeps things interesting.

There are some traits that I really hate when they come up though. Mean, Klepto and any others that make a sim into a not-very-nice person are ones I'm not fond of.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    I personally think the traits are boring and predictable. I use basic traits like Good, Cheerful, Gloomy and Family oriented mostly. I don't do a lot of 'family' type sims though so I usually do a random roll and the first one is the wild card trait and the other two are good and cheerful or gloomy. I play autonomy off so it can be interesting. There was a challenge I did once that was Insane Asylum based that everyone had the erratic trait, and then I randomized the 2 others. That was a lot of lovely chaos, let me tell you. I've never seen so many fires and exploding toilets in my game. I also have a neighborhood in Willow Creek that's full of the unsavory types that are all klepto. It's fun to see if they steal their own stuff back. LOL.
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited January 2022
    I use them all. I always randomize traits on my sims.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,050 Member
    edited January 2022
    I never choose cause why
    Dance Machine
    Insider

I find utterly boring unless i have evil sim to destroy their existence >:)
    Good
    Cheerful
    Goofball
    outgoing

eating specific diet isn't personality trait
    Vegetarian
    Lactose Intolerant

however i mostly play premades so i don't change their traits if they have these
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,428 Member
    I never use Jealous and Hates children because I find them annoying. I love Evil though
  • Options
    I used jealous on my sim for fun and I’m regretting it. My sim is constantly getting tense wondering where his wife is. Like bro she’s at work, relax
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,392 Member
    edited January 2022
    I randomize the traits nowadays, so I use them all, but there's one exception. I often refuse to use the recycle disciple trait, because I'm tired of Sims stealing from themselves (I guess Sims 4 calls it recycling) if they haven't used the recycler machine for a while. It's the most annoying trait and at the moment I have only one Sim who has it.
  • Options
    BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    This thread is encouraging me to dabble in traits I've neglected. Maybe I'll find fresh ways to experience the game with my paranoid dancing slob
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    The ones that I use least tend to be the ones that don't really do anything much;

The hobby traits - art lover, bookworm, etc all seem pretty pointless to me, especially now we have likes and dislikes. I like geek, but the rest, meh.
    Diet traits and glutton - Can't say I ever use them it's just annoying
    Pack traits - the island living ones, adventurous, green fiend all seem pointless other than specific instances

My least used would have to be "Insider" though. It's totally pointless and useless. Sims get a happy moodlet from club gatherings.. Ok? That's gonna majorly impact my gameplay and add so much depth to my sims life
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,695 Member
    Traits are the one thing we’ve got to give personality to sims, so I choose traits based on who I want them to be in my story. Across all worlds, with both good and bad characters and everything in between, I wind up using most of them at least sometimes. The ones I never use are lactose intolerant and vegetarian, because those aren’t personality characteristics and I won’t waste one of only three trait slots on food choices. We just need more traits in general, and more slots per sim.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,380 Member
    I tend to use the usual traits, foodie (culinary), bookworm (author), creative (painting and photography), loves outdoors (any outdoor activity), loner, snob (celebrities and rich sims), vegetarian (ties in with foodie), active (various careers), good (medical career), I know there are a few others but I really hate the glutton, slob, lazy, you kinda see where I'm going here, lol. Oh and romantic, good grief, if they haven't had a romantic interaction in the past hour, they get tense. That one would be good for when sims get married, but single...just no.

No, I don't like negative traits, but I do like evil, erratic or crazy, paranoid, and noncommital...for obvious reasons. :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    jpsulsuldagdagjpsulsuldagdag Posts: 450 Member
    edited January 2022
    I only really play with one family, mainly. But I avoid goofballs because of the issue with the toilets, they just do it too much. I really also avoid good sims because they're boring to play with, and also cheerful.

My favorite traits are mean, evil, and neat, and also ambitious.

• Options
    VenusABatsonVenusABatson Posts: 929 Member
    I refuse to use the evil one but I will allow the Hot Headed one if it shows up when I randomize traits. I did once allow the High Maintenance one. NEVER again! He was always angry and it was just too much work to keep him happy. I won't use Unflirty because I like to see how many households I can get from the same ancestry as possible and to do that they need to start families. I got a notification I earned a badge for having 10 households with 10 generations but I don't see it anywhere.
    ORIGIN ID: VenusARussell