Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Teens in TS4...

Comments

• Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    LynnPlayz1 wrote: »
    • Adults are a static 45-50 yrs of age

I would say that sims could classify as Adults in their mid 30s.

No, not with the way the lifespan is set up: YA and A has identical lifespans, making a leap from 20-25 to 45-50 for YA, and then 45-50 to 70-80 for Elder. That's why the "YA is 29" doesn't make sense.
    Also, the added wrinkles you get when aging up to Adult definitely isn't the look of a 35 year old, but maybe a 40 year old. Basically Adults look too old to be younger than 40.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member

Adolescent boys first notice facial hair between the ages of 13-16 years "Google". We had some boys in our school with facial hair, but not wrinkles like the example picture. I was afraid of those boys even if they were cute, lol. When one of those boys would try to talk to me!!! I would pretend like I was invisible until he went away. Yes, I had my issues.🤦‍♀️
    I would not mind more assortment of realistic teens in Sims 4.
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • Options
    ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    LynnPlayz1 wrote: »
    • Adults are a static 45-50 yrs of age

I would say that sims could classify as Adults in their mid 30s.

I'd concur on grounds that women can still quite easily get pregnant, something far less likely to happen at the drop of a hat past 40 and especially past 45.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited December 2021
    mika wrote: »
    9jmdswow0p881.jpg te="DaWaterRat;c-18028669"]

Believe it or not, I went to junior high with a guy who looked like the bottom picture!
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    edited January 2022
    I don't like TS4 teens because they lack any distinctive features. I'm someone who takes tons of screenshots so I pretty often play with "headlineeffects off". This means I don't see the info screen above sims' heads which shows their name and age and let me just say: if the game didn't automatically block romantic interactions between teens & YA's my extremely flirty celeb would be a criminal now. Cuz I sure as heck couldn't tell they were teens by just looking at or listening to them. A few premade teens are the exceptions since attention has been paid to their overall style which has that "teenager vibe" but the randomly generated townies are a completely different story.

I now use a mod which makes teens a bit shorter. I don't care if it's "realistic" for them to be as tall as young adults. I grew sick of the fact there's nothing distinctive about teenagers while in previous games (and IRL) you can immediately tell them apart.
    Post edited by Thrior on
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    Anyone know who the celebrity is in the bottom picture? He is so handsome.
  • Options
    ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    @Elliandre - I did a quick Google Lens search. He appears to be Camille Lacourt. A retired swimmer.
  • Options
    Thrior wrote: »
    @Elliandre - I did a quick Google Lens search. He appears to be Camille Lacourt. A retired swimmer.

@Thrior Thank you! He looks like an actor but wow he is so tall 6'7".

Definitely no 6'7" tall teens in my game lol
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    You know, we discuss teens a lot on here, but maybe the real issue is the kids. Sim children look and sound like preteens, age 10-12, imho. From there, when they age up to teen, I don't have a problem with them suddenly being adult height or mistaken for adults sometimes, as that feels realistic for age 13+ (at least for the girls).

What I miss is "little kid" lifestage- like age 6-9.

All of this!!!
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited December 2021
    This picture made me laugh though🤣🤣🤣Even though I haven't played much of ts3, from what I remember kids we're my favorite. They looked and felt younger then ts4 kids and they were so lively and playful!! With much to do.

I responded to quite a few similar threads so I won't repeat myself all over but I think teens are fine. People act like ts3 didn't have hard faced looking teens sometime. 😂😂 I would like to see what people would have said if ts3 teens were the same height. Plus the artstyle makes a difference too. It's a video game. It can't calculate all the ways it needs change a face to make it look like a "teen"
    Teens are more then just short skinny and lanky. They look all kind of ways, shapes and sizes. And just like in real life, although people look all kind of ways at different ages, in general you can tell a teen not because they are short and skinny. I've seen tons of tall teens and fat teens but it's a youthfulness in the face that was placed there naturally. Now we expect a game to replicate that.

You need to go in an edit your teen to make them look how you want in age. Don't expect the game to it.

All we need is more tools to help without mods like height sliders or presets and more skin details/makeup and overall CAS stuff to play with.
    All the little details mean so much as to how a sim looks and what age. But it's very possible to get varying looking aged teens face wise. With height slider even more so.
    I guess I just repeated myself 😆 oh well...
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    @mika

What you have in the meme is a PRE-teen and an adult. I know some simmers think the pre-teen size look like teens, but since I am a parent to both pre-teens and a teen, I view them entirely differently. My pre-teens still look like children as they are 9 and 11, but are developing into young women and you can visually see that IRL. My teen is in college right now,, but has looked and acted older than her actual age since she was 15. She was even surprised people assumed she was 18 or 19 when she was a freshman in high-school. Perhaps it is because I played the Sims 1 for 15 years and then went to Sims 4 that the aging does not bother me as much.

An individual can go in and change the style of a sim midway in the lifespan to emulate a little age maturity. At least that is what I do. My toddlers never get a new change in clothing, because I hate dealing with them as is. The kid stage gets a new older look after 7 days, and again at 14. The teens get a new look after 7 days and again at 14. My young adults and adults get new looks whenever I feel their life has a significant change. Btw, I fixed my aging with MCCC. So my ages are toddler -7 days, kids -28 days, teens -28 days, YA -48 days, adults - 48 days, elders -10 days. So yes, my normal lifespan is about 84 days longer than the game does unmodded, but the general idea can still be applied. I know that it is difficult and tedious for some, but there are ways besides mods to emulate the look of the sim to whatever age imaginable.
  • Options
    MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    edited January 2022
    @Elliandre I'm pretty sure all Sims in the same age range are the same height, so I end up mentally adjusting the height of my Sims. In my mind, they are different heights; some are taller and some are shorter. It's amazing how agile our minds are in that regard.

Among my best friends in high school were guys who were 6'5", 6'6", 6'8", and 6'11" by the time we graduated. The tallest boy reached that height at 17. We're still friends, and he's still 6'11". The boy who was 6'6" was that tall when he was a 16-year-old sophomore. His girlfriend, now his wife, claims to be 5'0". :)

I was 5'10" at 14, and I'm not quite 6'0" now. My high school pictures would reveal a boy who looked like neither of the dudes in the meme.

@NorthDakotaGamer My daughter, who is 12 and in seventh grade, looked at the kid in the meme and said "He's about my age. He looks like a sixth grader." I teach kids who are mostly 12 and 13, and he resembles the younger-looking kids in my classes.

To me, it's the angularity of Lacourt's face that tells me he's an adult in that photo. I've seen plenty of teenage boys who could come close to growing that kind of facial hair. Their faces don't seem as defined, if that makes sense.
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Like that reddit thread said Sims 4 teens are like Netflix teenagers. Or basically influencer teenagers. They dont act like kids. They act like young adults. I dont want a preteen stage. I view "child" as 7-12. The teens just dont act, look or behave like teens. Parenthood helps tho
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member

Among my best friends in high school were guys who were 6'5", 6'6", 6'8", and 6'11" by the time we graduated. The tallest boy reached that height at 17. We're still friends, and he's still 6'11". The boy who was 6'6" was that tall when he was a 16-year-old sophomore.

I was 5'10" at 14, and I'm not quite 6'0" now. My high school pictures would reveal a boy who looked like neither of the dudes in the meme.

@MoonlightGraham Are you telling us that your HIGH school was situated somewhere up in the clouds near the top of a giant beanstalk?? 😆

At 10 years of age I was about 5’10 and my classmates often ridiculed me for being the awkwardly goofy - never got picked for the team, not even basketball - giant. My head was (still is?) an absolute ball magnet. Slam dunk - my face.

Anyways, physically I’m no longer 10 but I’m still an average 5’10, although compared to today’s teens I feel like a friggin’ hobbit. Not sure what they put in the Cheerios nowadays but it’s definitely growth hormones and they seem to stop working on dudes my age. Maybe I ate too much E numbered garbage back in the 90’s. Perhaps it’s because I dwell in Leprechaun Land. Who knows.

I believe many of today’s teen boys are freaks of nature: there are a lot of hairy, soft skinned monsters among them. No, not quite like mister picture number two, more like mister picture number one’s face with mister picture number two’s facial hair slapped onto the cheeks. A rather curious, but realistic combo meal.

As others mentioned, the Sims 4 teens aren’t that unrealistic especially with parenthood installed, but it’s also what you make of em. Right after aging up from kid to teen I always edit my sims to look like half- kids. The type of hair style and clothing can make a world of a difference.
    Some of the teen ladies have plenty of bosom blossom going on too, so in their first teenage years I tend to size that part down a bit….and gradually enlarge the situation as the sim gets ‘older’…

I use height sliders for all my sims but even without those you could make a teen resemble a teen…

Yeah.
    I dunno.
    In all fairness now I don’t really play much with teen sims. My guys are born all hairy and tall like thirty something year olds. 😅

• Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    09-28-14_12-16_AM-2.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

[ZOINK!]
    09-28-14_12-19_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

"A Man!"
    09-28-14_12-20_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

"Yesterday, I was twelve, but today...
    ...today... I'm thirteen. So, what are you doing tonight?"
    09-28-14_12-20_AM-2.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    @Elliandre I'm pretty sure all Sims in the same age range are the same height, so I end up mentally adjusting the height of my Sims. In my mind, they are different heights; some are taller and some are shorter. It's amazing how agile our minds are in that regard.

Among my best friends in high school were guys who were 6'5", 6'6", 6'8", and 6'11" by the time we graduated. The tallest boy reached that height at 17. We're still friends, and he's still 6'11". The boy who was 6'6" was that tall when he was a 16-year-old sophomore. His girlfriend, now his wife, claims to be 5'0". :)

@NorthDakotaGamer My daughter, who is 12 and in seventh grade, looked at the kid in the meme and said "He's about my age. He looks like a sixth grader." I teach kids who are mostly 12 and 13, and he resembles the younger-looking kids in my classes.

To me, it's the angularity of Lacourt's face that tells me he's an adult in that photo. I've seen plenty of teenage boys who could come close to growing that kind of facial hair. Their faces don't seem as defined, if that makes sense.

What on earth did they put in the tap water at your school??? :smiley: That is awesome that you know someone practically 7 feet tall. I imagine they would have all been good athletes? One of my nephews is quite tall, I'm not sure his exact height but he is very involved in a lot of sports and got offered a few scholarships for University because of his height and athletics
  • Options
    MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    @MoonlightGraham Are you telling us that your HIGH school was situated somewhere up in the clouds near the top of a giant beanstalk?? 😆

Yes, and my real name isn't Graham. It's Jack. :p

I went to a private school in a metropolitan area where basketball is popular, and families with basketball-playing sons who wanted a strong academic environment often brought them there. The tall dudes were my teammates, and they were in three different graduating classes: my class, and the ones ahead of and behind mine. Two of those guys are brothers, and another was their cousin, so it was an unusual set of circumstances.
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Not youthful enough? 'Eh, I'm not so sure about that, it's really about what you can do in CAS. Here, Billy Joe is 15 and Ellie is 13, and I think they look pretty close to those ages

7Oi4YYg.png
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    CK213 wrote: »

[ZOINK!]

"A Man!"

That's the point tho. Players need to stop thinking of teens as "13". As pointed out above, Children have all the same "Problems" as teens, but nobody complaints about them? I mean nobody seems to have an issue that "this morning I was 2 yrs old and now I'm 10", but for some reason everyone insists that the very very obvious 17-19 yr olds "are undrealistic 13 yr olds"??
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited January 2022
    CK213 wrote: »

[ZOINK!]

"A Man!"

That's the point tho. Players need to stop thinking of teens as "13". As pointed out above, Children have all the same "Problems" as teens, but nobody complaints about them? I mean nobody seems to have an issue that "this morning I was 2 yrs old and now I'm 10", but for some reason everyone insists that the very very obvious 17-19 yr olds "are undrealistic 13 yr olds"??

Doesn't work for me.
    That's why I modded them and I am happy with my modded teens.
    I'll just use YAs to cover the 17-19 since that is what they look like anyway and are headed for Uni.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    No version of the Sims has not had this issue...it's just been a question of which specific age within the lifestage the actual sim model reflects, but every one of them hasn't properly reflected some of the realistic age range within any given lifestage.

I've dreamed of a Sims game where the aging process is gradual rather than hard-change stages since the Sims 1. Maybe someday, before I die, it will happen. Be quite the chore to code and make work properly with clothing though, that's for sure.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited January 2022
    I have always thought that teens in the sims4 were supposed to be 16-18. I dunno, maybe Maxis never really gave it much thought, they do seem to leave some things left for the player to decide for themselves.

I feel that the game gives us more tools to make them look more like young adults than teens though. Combine that with the fact that they have very few things that they can do that Young Adult sims can't do and it feels like we are playing them at a very late stage in their teenage years.
  • Options
    ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    edited January 2022
    This is such a cool topic because it is true that norms are so variable from one family or group to the next that it's useless to try to settle on a single norm for teens. @MoonlightGraham I come from an extremely male-heavy family (each generation produces almost nothing but boys, it's weird) and the guys at least, have things like losing baby teeth a couple of years earlier than other people's kids, starting pubertal changes at 7 or 8, getting wisdom teeth in the early to mid teens instead of late teens or early 20s, and being 5'10" at 14, is normal for us.

I looked 17 at 14, and by 17 almost never got carded.

So that first pic doesn't look anything like a teen to me, more like a young-faced 8 year old. I also wonder if it's photoshopped because of the way the lower face doesn't match the neck, but that's irrelevant.

Another thing of note, is that if we're being realistic, girls start out taller on average than boys their same age, in the tweens to early teens, because girls start and finish their growth younger, and are usually at adult height by around 16, whereas boys continue growing and gaining height between 19 and 24.

But the game makes things simple by making all genders the same height at the same age. So is it more realistic to say that "teens" should look like 13-14 year olds (which in both boys and girls is usually shorter than adults), or make them all look 16-18, in which case, girls are already at the adult height of women, and boys are already taller than most adult women and either as tall as most adult men, or in some cases taller?

I figure since 13-14 is just 2 of the teen years, but 15-19 is 5 of them, having them appear more as 15-19 year olds is more realistic and that's what the Sims4 teens look like to my eye but again, I'm not used to thinking of teens as looking or acting like children.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options
    SallycutecatSallycutecat Posts: 269 Member
    I like how the teens are in Sims 4. They're much more realistic. Teens in Sims 4 are more like 16 year olds, second to last year of high school. When I was in High School most 16 year olds were at their full adult height and a lot of the boys were growing facial hair. With the University pack teens are thinking about and preparing for university which is something usually done in the later years of High School. In Sims 4 the teens do look younger than the young adults: their faces are more youthful and they are skinnier. Not much actually changes in looks between a teen and young adult in real life. I've always been able to tell the Teens apart from the young adults in Sims 4.
    Please check out my YouTube Channel. I cover features from The Sims 4 game.
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCaj9o4hycNSPy8U1Ip0OCFA/videos
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,383 Member
    edited January 2022
    In my game teens look like teens. You can do a lot with proper clothes and appearance in general. If you give them beards and dress them like adults of course they're going to look like adults.
    That being said I would really like to have more clothing options for teens. We had some with Parenthood and there are some other options too, but it's not enough. Teens and men (adults) are lacking a lot on Sims 4.