Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Teens in TS4...

9jmdswow0p881.jpg

Meme taken from reddit. I love how TS4 Sims look but the one thing that bothers me is that the teens look the same as young adults. I think an update could make them slightly shorter or simply just more youthful in the face.

Comments

• mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    The funny thing is that I've known 16-17 year-olds who look like the first picture (which, if you ask me is 14-15) ... and 16-17 year-olds that look like the second.

Teenagers IRL are terribly inconsistent in what's "normal" in how they look.

I have never seen a teen that looks like the bottom so I'm going to have to disagree here. Some teens look a little older then their age but never like a grown man or woman, you can usually always tell they are young, especially by their behavior and the way they carry themselves...
  • Mizzila1297Mizzila1297 Posts: 620 Member
    mika wrote: »
    The funny thing is that I've known 16-17 year-olds who look like the first picture (which, if you ask me is 14-15) ... and 16-17 year-olds that look like the second.

I have never seen a teen that looks like the bottom so I'm going to have to disagree here. Some teens look a little older then their age but never like a grown man or woman, you can usually always tell they are young, especially by their behavior and the way they carry themselves...

Social media (with plenty of filters) definitely makes it more difficult... But I've never had a problem in person, myself haha I always looked a bit older growing up, but never older than my 20s when I was about 16!

Teenager is a really difficult life stage, I think, because so much happens... You literally go from child to adult in the teen years, so just one phase isn't ever going to fully cut it in terms of realism.

The meme is hilarious! I got a good chuckle :D
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member

I've never seen a teen that looks like the bottom picture, either. But then, memes do more than rhyme with "extremes" for a reason. And I've not only seen plenty of teens that looked older than their age, I was one of them once.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,898 Member
    That's funny. XD

I've never seen teens look like the bottom picture, it would be cool if they existed in the game.

The Sims 4 Sim are a lot more expressive and detailed so it's possible some people might see or think the teens look older.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited December 2021
    Yeah, teens in the sims4 look like resized young adults to me.

And I know that teens can be tall in real life, but all that the game seems to do is just slightly changing the same model that the game uses for young adult and adult sims.
    Post edited by logion on
  • JALJAL Posts: 1,000 Member
    How tall they are never bothered me, most people reach their final height in their teens, but I do agree that there are very few things separating the ages after teen, it's way too subtle. For me teenagers could be more lanky - like they have grown a bit too much in too short time - as many have that feature in real life, but mostly I'd love for some clothing and some hairstyles to be reserved for teens (maybe through a tag), so they don't go around looking like adults. Some hairstyles or clothes could make a teen look middle age (and some could make someone close to being an elder look like a teen).
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Not this again.... I LOVE how teens look i Sims 4, it's the first Simsgame with realistic, non-11year old looking teens.

Also...
    sims4parenthoodgrounded.jpg

These kids definitely does NOT Look like the 2nd image in the meme. I have seen "teens" looking like that on screenshots, but they have all used alpha CC and that is on the player, not the game. I mean if you use alpha CC you really have no idea how the game actually looks.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,135 Member
    There is a minor difference in the face, it's rounder than the face from a young adult and they are more slacked but I wish the difference would be more visually.
    I think it's the missing point is the height, some teenager are higher than their parents, other are at the same height.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    They would never be able to please everyone with teens, no matter how they did them because you can't make them look 13 years old and 19 years old in the same stage lol.

It does seem like a big difference between child and teen stages, I would have liked to see either tweens or young teens, but I appreciate the amount of extra resources that would have taken.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    As professor Agebert Timestein once said:

Teen is Relative.

• SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    I think teens look fine. My bigger problem might be that (by default) they reach 29 before turning Young Adults. I find it a tad disturbing that a person aged 28 looks like s/he did at 16. That said, it's pretty easy (and sometimes even fun) to make a teen change from young teen to old teen somewhere half way through the life stage. I have a few routines taking care of that, and also giving them more responsibility at 22 and 25. Waiting till 29 to get married or to *start* University seems a bit off, though. But then - adulthood lasts forever :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,807 Member
    You know, we discuss teens a lot on here, but maybe the real issue is the kids. Sim children look and sound like preteens, age 10-12, imho. From there, when they age up to teen, I don't have a problem with them suddenly being adult height or mistaken for adults sometimes, as that feels realistic for age 13+ (at least for the girls).

What I miss is "little kid" lifestage- like age 6-9.

gen3-banner.png
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member

By behavior, sure. But by looks alone ... I wish I could introduce you to Sam. Sam was a Sr. at my daughter's High School when she was a Freshman. They were in Drama club together. When I went to help with costumes for the first show, I thought Sam was a teacher or at least Student Teacher. Especially as the school would occasionally pull in adults if they didn't have enough boys for the male roles.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    I think teens look fine. My bigger problem might be that (by default) they reach 29 before turning Young Adults. I find it a tad disturbing that a person aged 28 looks like s/he did at 16. That said, it's pretty easy (and sometimes even fun) to make a teen change from young teen to old teen somewhere half way through the life stage. I have a few routines taking care of that, and also giving them more responsibility at 22 and 25. Waiting till 29 to get married or to *start* University seems a bit off, though. But then - adulthood lasts forever :)

It's been my experience that girls look far older than mere teens in their teens. Sometimes the boys do, too, just not as often. The term "Jail Bait" arose from men dating a girl who turns out to be a teen and lied about her age. I thought the teens were far too short in Sims3 and certainly didn't even look old enough to learn how to drive. For some reason the teens in Sims 4 just don't bother me. Both of my sons reached their full height while in high school. I would like to see a compromise height between the two iterations of the game, however.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    The TS4 teens strike me as being in the 17-19 range. Perhaps splitting the stage into 2 sub-stages of early and late teen would be advisable. As it stands, there is little in looks or CAS material to differentiate them from YA.
  • MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    My daughter, who is 12, thinks kids her age, or just a bit older, are the ones who aren't represented well in TS4. Somewhere in the age range that TS4 calls "Child," Z passed through a stage where she could have created a realistic-looking Simself. Short of a magical transformation taking place, there's no way she'll be able to do that on her 13th birthday.

The teens who look like young adults will almost always betray their youth if you keep an eye on them for a while. I don't think I need the full range of my teacher superpowers to pull off that trick. :smile:
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    The TS4 teens strike me as being in the 17-19 range. Perhaps splitting the stage into 2 sub-stages of early and late teen would be advisable. As it stands, there is little in looks or CAS material to differentiate them from YA.

I got this same vibe, because for teens to be pretty obviously woohooing (even if they call it "mess around", it's the same animation and same music, just hidden behind a convenient euphemism) and preparing to apply for college, it's like they go directly from age 10 to age 18 in one fell swoop when they age up from child. Plus, if you're playing a sim in the Politics career, you can lobby for a teen's vote the same way you can adult or elder sims, again lending credence to the idea that "teen" is 18 or 19 rather than 14 or 15.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited December 2021
    TS4 is like Hollywood, they have a bunch of 20-somethings playing the role of all the teenagers.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited December 2021

I got this same vibe, because for teens to be pretty obviously woohooing (even if they call it "mess around", it's the same animation and same music, just hidden behind a convenient euphemism) and preparing to apply for college, it's like they go directly from age 10 to age 18 in one fell swoop when they age up from child. Plus, if you're playing a sim in the Politics career, you can lobby for a teen's vote the same way you can adult or elder sims, again lending credence to the idea that "teen" is 18 or 19 rather than 14 or 15.

Let's be clear here, the only age group that changes behaviorally if not visibly is toddlers.
    • Babies? Objects.
    • Toddlers? Changes animation and behavior the "older" (more experience) they get
    • Children? They go from 3 year old to 9-10 year old in an instant and does not change behavior or look until...
    • Teens? Goes from 9 yrs old to 17 yrs old in an instant and does not change behavior or look until...
    • Young Adults? (caveat here. I DEFINITELY disagree that they are "29". For the age spans to make sense they must be around 23; after all they go to college, and live about 30 years before aging up) goes from 17 - 23 yrs of age immediately (etc etc you know the drill by now)
    • Adults? Goes from 23 to 50 of age immediately (and even more etc etc)
    • Elderly? Goes from 50 to 70 immediately (the final etc etc).

As I see it:
    • Children are at a static 9-10 IRL age until aging up. Teens a static 17-18 yrs of age.
    • YA about 23 (not 29, as I said, after all your very first duty is to go to college and the life span alone is equally long as the one for Adult, which makes 29 not making sense).
    • Adults are a static 45-50 yrs of age
    • Elderly are 70-75 yrs of age.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • LynnPlayz1LynnPlayz1 Posts: 548 Member
    edited December 2021

When I was 14, I was told that I could pass for 17. And when I was 17, I was occasionally mistaken for an adult. :shrug:

Edit: I forgot to mention, I have no problem with how teens in TS4 look. The gap between child and teen is a little jarring, but I really have no interest in preteens.
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    when i was in high school, one of my friends, a 16 year old, had a full beard. nobody believed he was 16 so he was the one everyone went to to get... um... things we were all too young to actually purchase...
    so yes, it can indeed happen like you show in the pictures. because you personally haven't seen it doesn't mean it isn't true

(...that said, i hate seeing 30 year old actors portray teens in movies/tv shows. that's irritating). as for the sims 4 teens... i do wish there were a bit more to tell them apart. they tend to be a bit more slender and slightly more awkward looking than adult sims, but that's easy to miss, esp at a quick glance
  • LynnPlayz1LynnPlayz1 Posts: 548 Member
    • Adults are a static 45-50 yrs of age

I would say that sims could classify as Adults in their mid 30s.
  • SimCrazySimCrazy Posts: 9,908 Member
    Teens in TS4 are really bad. I can't stand the fact that they are the same height as adults, and their faces are basically the same. Thank God for mods :p
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    edited December 2021
    Teens are Young Adults with a name change and minor differences, IMO.
    The game seems rushed out, like they did not have time for all the extra animations teens would need.
    Just one of many features the base game came without. We didn't even get toddlers.

I don't care for them, however, they should not take away the current teens because some simmers want to play the mature end of the teen stage. And even some of my sims, I do identify them with the mature end of the stage, preparing for Uni and all.
    I would prefer tweens being added, because there is a difference between immature and mature teens.

I use the shorter teens mods because these 19 year old looking teens have bothered me since the beginning.
    There are a few animation issues, because of the difference in size while using young adult animations, but I can't go back because TS4 teens look like they missed the majority of the teen stage.
    11-07-21_5-18-55_PM.png

Yeah some teens can look like adults, but this is a game with a stage that is supposed to represent the entire teen life, so it should look like a person in the middle of shortest and tallest height.
    12-30-21_1-28-00_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

12-29-21_2-58-16_PM.png

I guess it depends on the simmer, but this seems right to me while what the game has seems too old to represent the entire stage.
    But I am fine with a mod despite some quality issues. It doesn't really matter what they do this late in the game.
    11-07-21_7-31-01_PM.png?

The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds