Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Teens in TS4...

Comments

• Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,123 Member
    edited January 2022
    Also keep in mind that at least here in the US, 18 is considered an adult by law. In terms of real-life appearance, I see little difference between someone that's 18 and someone that's 22
  • Options
    MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    edited January 2022
    Elliandre wrote: »
    What on earth did they put in the tap water at your school??? :smiley: That is awesome that you know someone practically 7 feet tall. I imagine they would have all been good athletes? One of my nephews is quite tall, I'm not sure his exact height but he is very involved in a lot of sports and got offered a few scholarships for University because of his height and athletics

@Elliandre Whatever they put in the water apparently never made it to me, or at best, I quit getting it at 16 or so. I'm only a little taller than average.

All four of those guys were/are good athletes. The best of them was actually the "shortest," if you can use that term to describe someone who is 6'5". He was a very good soccer (football) goalkeeper, who went to university on a scholarship.

My 6'11" friend would probably say his experiences with his height have been mixed. It was certainly an advantage in basketball and volleyball, the two sports he played best. While he decided to attend a university that doesn't award athletic scholarships, the fact he was recruited to play basketball there might have helped him gain admission. His wife is 6'2", and she was delighted to meet a great guy who was so tall. They have a daughter and a son, and they are both tall for their ages.

But, at the same time, he's been asked "How tall are you?" as long as he can remember. They'll ask "Do you hit your head on things?" Or people will declare "You're really tall!" as if he is completely unaware of this fact. He's amazingly patient with these people. There are more online retailers for very tall men now, but it used to be really difficult for him to find clothes that fit him well. I get cramped in an airplane seat on a long flight, so imagine what it's like for him. Even looking in a mirror is a challenge.

The posters who take steps to make their younger Teens look less like adults have found a great work-around. I've started going into CAS and making some of the Teens resemble young Teens, and it's actually fairly easy to tell the difference now.
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    diavolosimsdiavolosims Posts: 37 Member
    > @Sallycutecat said:
    > I like how the teens are in Sims 4. They're much more realistic. Teens in Sims 4 are more like 16 year olds, second to last year of high school. When I was in High School most 16 year olds were at their full adult height and a lot of the boys were growing facial hair. With the University pack teens are thinking about and preparing for university which is something usually done in the later years of High School. In Sims 4 the teens do look younger than the young adults: their faces are more youthful and they are skinnier. Not much actually changes in looks between a teen and young adult in real life. I've always been able to tell the Teens apart from the young adults in Sims 4.

I second this. People saying they should have looked younger than what we can do in CAS might be referring to tweens (8-12) since there isn't an in-betweener between Child and Teen. Also, they still sound child-like, with a higher pitch, than adults, so that's another way to tell if they're teenagers or adults, or something.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited January 2022
    Also keep in mind that at least here in the US, 18 is considered an adult by law. In terms of real-life appearance, I see little difference between someone that's 18 and someone that's 22

I have seen this argument before and that misses the point completely. Teenager and "Legal Adult" are not in any way contradictory; Elders are also "legal adults".
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    I see some people saying that TS4 teens represent older teens age 16-18 and I’m fine with that, but I at least would like some gameplay that truly reflected their age and separates them from Young Adults. I liked that in TS2 and 3 even their most basic default interactions were teen-like and they interacted with the world and items around them the way a teenager would.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    mika wrote: »
    ... and they interacted with the world and items around them the way a teenager would.

What does that even mean? Teenagers are just as capable of interacting with the world the same way as any adult...
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    I see some people saying that TS4 teens represent older teens age 16-18 and I’m fine with that, but I at least would like some gameplay that truly reflected their age and separates them from Young Adults. I liked that in TS2 and 3 even their most basic default interactions were teen-like and they interacted with the world and items around them the way a teenager would.

Meaning what, exactly? Getting drunk on illegal alcohol, smoking behind the school and stealing condoms from their dad?

On a more serious note... Is it possible a lot of Americans confuse the Sims definition of YA with the literature genre YA, (which is very specifically 15-18 year old teens for some reason?)
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member

Meaning what, exactly? Getting drunk on illegal alcohol, smoking behind the school and stealing condoms from their dad?

Precisely.

I’d also love my teens to be able to steal cars and go for joyrides. 😝
  • Options

Precisely.

I’d also love my teens to be able to steal cars and go for joyrides. 😝

Sims 3 style curfews?
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member

I agree, teens should be more meaningful in the game and offer us more to do. Maybe things like High School, Cliques, school trips, sleepovers, prom and learning to drive.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member

So you want significant gameplay features for just teens? That is fair, except teens IRL can act like adults too. I know I did and so has my oldest child. So the game is sort of emulating that already. I would like more family style gameplay features that do not involve rabbit holes or electric devices. That might help flesh out the kid and teen stages of the sims.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited January 2022
    The positive thing I see about teens being as tall as adults is that they have a lot of clothing ( and abilities like riding a bike and playing ping pong ) that child sims don’t.

It would be nice to see a stage between toddler and child, a stage between child and teen, and a stage between Adult and Elder. But, I would want to see a lot of clothing for the first two stages.
  • Options

So you want significant gameplay features for just teens? That is fair, except teens IRL can act like adults too. I know I did and so has my oldest child. So the game is sort of emulating that already. I would like more family style gameplay features that do not involve rabbit holes or electric devices. That might help flesh out the kid and teen stages of the sims.

This whole argument reminds me of the "no activities for elders" debate that originated with the Knitting pack; people kept thinking Elders were stereotypical child book grandmothers from the 50s somehow.
    I still haven't figured out exactly what players think elderly people do IRL?
  • Options
    HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    edited January 2022
    This sim is a teenager. No he's not stoned. He has his dad's eyes. I love how he looks even if I have to have cc to help him

This is Cyrus Cole, btw. Oldest son/child of my legacy.
    51799843128_f3ed2d2d64_h.jpg
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,123 Member

I have seen this argument before and that misses the point completely. Teenager and "Legal Adult" are not in any way contradictory; Elders are also "legal adults".

Ok, well 16 also looks the same as 18---my point is that once you get to be around 16 or so, you're going to look the same as a young adult. I think the game does ok here
  • Options
    DevSims91DevSims91 Posts: 470 Member
    There are teenagers who look 11 and there are teens who look 21 in real life… It’s rare but it exists, most teens look like teens though.

One thing I liked about Discover University is they actually looked to see how teens and early 20 somethings dressed, so I could make YA sims look like they just graduated high school (for once). Most of the time they dress up sims of all ages in pretty grown up outfits, then again maybe I just prefer more youthful styles.

But for my sims game I want there to be a difference in looks for all the ages, it’s too late for sims 4 but I better see teens have their own height again in sims 5.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2022
    DevSims91 wrote: »
    There are teenagers who look 11 and there are teens who look 21 in real life… It’s rare but it exists, most teens look like teens though.

I agree with your sentiment, but I'm pretty sure the reason they did it the way they did in TS4 was to save money. Making them the same height saves a ton of money on the development side because you don't have to deal with making (or at the very least fine-tuning and adjusting) animations specifically for teens. So the trade off for having them be a different height is likely to be going back to more restrictions on what they can actually do in-game, like what we saw in older Sims games.

If I have to choose between "doing more things" and "how tall they are"....I'm going to pick "doing more things" every time. In a perfect world though, I'd want both. EA still owns Maxis, however, which means it's not a perfect world, it's all about the $$$.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited January 2022
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    DevSims91 wrote: »

I agree with your sentiment, but I'm pretty sure the reason they did it the way they did in TS4 was to save money. Making them the same height saves a ton of money on the development side because you don't have to deal with making (or at the very least fine-tuning and adjusting) animations specifically for teens. So the trade off for having them be a different height is likely to be going back to more restrictions on what they can actually do in-game, like what we saw in older Sims games.

If I have to choose between "doing more things" and "how tall they are"....I'm going to pick "doing more things" every time. In a perfect world though, I'd want both. EA still owns Maxis, however, which means it's not a perfect world, it's all about the $$$.

I think that was the reason too. It was rumored that the early build of the sims4 only had one model, the young adult model.

But I think most animations would have worked for sims with different heights.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I use a mod for shorter teens, height is a small change that makes a big difference when it comes to teens in the sims games.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited January 2022
    Meh I can shape them and make them look younger or older If I wanted to. The main difference between teens and young adults is their bodies. I’ve seen it enough times aging sims up, a young adult is slightly taller and are more developed.
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    The funny thing is that I've known 16-17 year-olds who look like the first picture (which, if you ask me is 14-15) ... and 16-17 year-olds that look like the second.

Teenagers IRL are terribly inconsistent in what's "normal" in how they look.

Yeah and when I was graduating out of high school, I still remember the incoming freshman, one in particular he looked 20.
    My coworker’s 13 year old son looks 18.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2022

On a more serious note... Is it possible a lot of Americans confuse the Sims definition of YA with the literature genre YA, (which is very specifically 15-18 year old teens for some reason?)

No, those are your own stereotypes, nothing I said suggested that and my post has nothing to do with YA literature. I may be American but I’m not stupid.

Teens in TS3 went to prom, brought friends home from school or would go to their houses unprompted, throw slumber parties (or house parties when adults left) and learn to drive from a parent or older sibling. They would also interact with some objects differently than how adults would, especially in TS2. I think you are conflating the fact that there are some teens in real life that attempt (key word here) to mimic and emulate adults with a game that made it a point to separate life stages but gave no significant differences to the teen life stage. But majority of teens still act their age in reality. I have two teen sisters and work with several of them. I’m in my 20s and the difference between us is drastic.

If anyone has actually truly mistaken a teen for an adult I don’t know what to tell you. I’m more likely to mistake an adult for a teen than the other way around.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Which is why it would be better if the teens were a presented a bit younger in TS4 (13-16 age range as opposed to how people claim they represent 16-19). 18 is already considered a Young adult in most parts of the world so what’s the point of having an older teen stage AND a YA stage in that case?
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    I dress my teens very different from adults so I can easily tell them apart lol because they do look so similar to young adults, so they wear printed t-shirts, clothes that look like school uniforms, there are just certain clothes in the game I only give to teens because I don't think adults would wear them and I makeover all the townies so the teens always look how I want them to look with clothing, hair and makeup. They wear different jewelery and more dramatic makeup. And I like to add the teens into their own clubs so they only socialize with each other and I have the clubs set to lots I think teens would like, so coffee shops, libraries, beaches, art centres. And I give them part time jobs like nanny, lifeguard, etc.. The main thing I really want for my teens is driving, and also acne and some friendship drama social interactions. And definitely more clubs like cheerleading, sports teams, science club, high school type clubs like yearbook committee, breakfast club and have some social interactions or computer interactions that sounds like highschool campaigns like anti-bullying, stay in school etc..
  • Options
    QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    This meme made me laugh so hard. LOL, so true. I use a mod that automatically shortens all my teens just a bit, so it's like playing Sims 2.
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    edited January 2022
    Not this again.... I LOVE how teens look i Sims 4, it's the first Simsgame with realistic, non-11year old looking teens.

Also...
    sims4parenthoodgrounded.jpg

These kids definitely does NOT Look like the 2nd image in the meme. I have seen "teens" looking like that on screenshots, but they have all used alpha CC and that is on the player, not the game. I mean if you use alpha CC you really have no idea how the game actually looks.

By "not this again..." you mean a valid complaint that bothers a lot of people?

You picked a sim from a trailer too of all things. Go look at the teenage charm girl from real of magic and tell me she looks like a teen.

The fact that you literally cannot tell the difference between teens and young adults visually is an issue. It's a problem.

Teens were not unrealistic in sims 2 or 3. They looked like your average 15-16 year old, which is what people want when we say teens.

We want to teach our teens to drive, we want proms, crushes, acne, mood swings, rebellion etc. We don't want a 19 year old legal adult, which is what you're passing them off as to defend them.

Which by the way, teens in sims 4 can still be grounded, and still go to school and cannot get full time jobs, so your 18-19 argument falls flat. Most teens graduate by 18, or will only be 18 for a couple months while in school. I've helped run an afterschool teen program for 7 years, and 18 is when you're kicked out of the program (unless you're still finishing the semester). If these teens are too old to even attend my teen program , then I don't want them 🤣.

Wanting a better teenage experience both visually and gameplay wise is not a hard ask, and your "not this again" comment sounds very dismissive, whether that was your intention or not. If you like them then great, but clearly a lot of people do not as these topics have not gone away since 2014.

For me, this is my biggest complaint in all of the sims 4, and has been since day 1. I was patient with toddlers, I didn't care about open world, I wouldnt even be too upset if we never got freed babies. I want shorter teens with optional clothing tags and more gameplay, as well as unique voices. They are truly the one an only thing keeping me from enjoying this game.

Teen as they stand right now are NO different from young adults if you don't own the parenthood pack, aside from one kiss neck interaction. Mood swings should have never been a pack exclusive feature, they should've been a thing day 1 in a game that focuses on emotions.

I use a shorter teens mod, and it works great. Teens look a lot better and there are almost no animation issues.

Post edited by Zeldaboy180 on
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png