Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you/would you use whims?

Comments

• Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I dont use whims
    I use to use them for extra points when the game was newer. Once they turned them off though I stopped... mostly because we have so many aspirations now and ways to get the sim ahead I don't need the extra reward points.
    I don't really like most guided play in general though. I'd still want to be able to cancel them out easily or keep them hidden if they were revamped in any way.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    CaitxcatCaitxcat Posts: 680 Member
    edited October 2021
    I use whims but I wish they were more significant in ___ way (explain in comments)
    I'm really glad I read this thread because now I have downloaded bienchen's whim overhaul mod and am really excited about it!
    Post edited by Caitxcat on
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited October 2021
    I use whims but I wish they were more significant in ___ way (explain in comments)
    I love to play with whims, can't even imagine not playing with them. If they were well implemented (like they were in previous games) they show us what our sims are willing to do with their lives, from small quick goals to bigger accomplishments in life.

I like to set my own goals/story for my sims but well implemented whims will only help me by showing me how my sim is developing, feeling, how is he integrating everything that is happening with his life...

Whims used to be (in older games) very connected to traits, aspirations, development of skills, everything that happened around the sim (if he knows someone attractive, if he interacts with some object that interests him...) and they used to be very complete too, there were whims for everything. Everything that was in the game, could show as a whim, depending on the sim and his life...

And more important than all, everything was so connected that whims made sense.

I hope for that whims overhaul that the devs spoke about, but i wish them to make sense. Not just to them being added.

And i wish they don't make half work, like they did with the likes/dislikes system, which seems that was made just to say that it exists but it is so incomplete, compared to all the items that should have been considered...
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I use whims and I would love for them to be more specific and personal to the sim personalities. Things like telling me which career they would like instead of just the generic get a job whim that every sim gets. I want my sims to be able to give me input on how they would like their lives to go instead of me having to plan every single detail for them.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I like to play with whims because it helps drive my game play. But in TS4 they are wayyyyyy too focused on buying things, I don't like that at all. I also use Whim Overhaul and it makes the whims so much better because you know ... they actually make sense.
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    edited October 2021
    I use whims and I like them as they are
    oops, clicked the wrong voting option.

Anyway, I like the whims, but I do wish they were more life-stage/state specific. Like vampire sims getting whims to "fly as bat/ use power" or to "drink/ask to drink X sims plasma". Or Spellcasters, "cast spell on X/cast X spell/Repair broken object with spell" maybe even "brew potion of X or fly with broom".

Age-specific, I mean, it's weird that teens and children get whims to buy washing machines or dryers. Also, teens getting the urge to buy pools that are 1x1 square or to do laundry, huh? What kind of whim is that?
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I use them in the sense that they are on and I am willing to interact with them, but I do usually end up largely ignoring them. They aren't really relevant anymore and were questionably so to begin with.

For something that is supposed to my Sims' own unique thoughts and desires, they were way too uniform and formulaic based on emotions rather than personality. I'm assuming it is because personality is not that robust in this game, but thinking back even to 2 Sims with similar aspirations has similar desires but they never seemed like carbon copies the way 4's did.

We'd need integration with all the packs and a greater weight placed on an individual Sim's personality and aspirations. I know we can swap aspirations and it reacts to that, but I think a good QOL thing is to have some whims attached to the CAS bonus aspiration traits. That way even as you swap, their initial (and theoretically main) aspiration path will be salient no matter their immediate goals. Same with more weight on specific personality traits rather than the creative trait to inspiration emotion to inspired whim system currently watering the experience down.
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I do wish the buy-something whims were less frequent, but for the most part I find them satisfactory as they are. I don't want them to be any more specific than they are because I don't use them as literal things in the first place. I just use them at times as a general guide or hint toward certain types of things (not always the specific whim itself) that might add some element to a sim's ongoing story.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I wish they would add more of the whims.
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    edited October 2021
    I use them (when I feel like it) and they inspire me to do things in game. I want more of them! <3

For example, once when my snob sim wanted to drink nectar I decided that it meant he wanted to go and have a lovely dinner with his wife in a restaurant and that gave me a lot to play. I had fun and I wouldn't have done it without that whim.
  • Options
    cornflake88cornflake88 Posts: 368 Member
    I always use whims but would like them to be related to the sims rather than the packs. For example a whim to get a scratching post with no pet in the household. The whim is because I own the cats and dogs pack
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Whims are great. Load up a new household and just follow the whims - you get some fantastic emergent stories and whatnot.

I would definitely like to see continued development of them.

Sadly, they will probably go the way of the ideal moods for work and other activities which I also liked.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    NightlyCoffeeNightlyCoffee Posts: 455 Member
    I dont use whims
    No, I don't use whims.

I find whims boring and predictable. It's spring so buy a bee box. Don't have a pool, so buy a 1x1 pool. Buy pool lights, too! The sim is flirty so kiss or flirt with someone. The sim is inspired so paint a painting.

I don't need whims to drive my sims' lives because I like to decide what I want my sim to do. I often have too many reward points from good holidays, so I don't need whims for points either. If whims ever were updated to be more meaningful, I'd give them another try.
  • Options
    SkyrryxSkyrryx Posts: 201 Member
    edited October 2021
    In a vanilla save, the whims are not great to play. All the buying stuff should be whims for fortune aspiration sims. Family sims should have more whims for family interactions, having x number of baby, etc. Romance sims, more whims for romance interactions and dates. Popularity sims, more whims for activities and different kind of theme party. Nature sims, whims for more outdoor activity, go to community lots and take vacations. Whims should reflect what you can do in the game and be tied more to the current aspiration.
    Post edited by Skyrryx on
    Thank you @83bienchen for modding the game. Whims Overhaul is essential for my gameplay.
  • Options
    GenerationSimmerGenerationSimmer Posts: 210 Member
    I dont use whims
    I wish I would use them, but for me they're just too bad.
    They feel, and probably are, totally random and bring nothing really interesting in the game.
    I would love an update for whims, but I don't believe it's gonna happen.
    👋🏻 Hi, my name is Domi / 📍 Brindleton Bay 💛Legacy Player 🔔FOLLOW ON: TWITTER / TUMBLR
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited October 2021
    I turned off whims for a while because I was tired of buy a 1x1 pool and buy a bee box.
    Things that have nothing to do with my sims.

But I turned them back on because I do like whims game play.
    I like earning aspiration award points and spending them. And sometimes they are an inspiration for things to do when nothing much is going on in your game. I want more whims and more rewards.

I just wish they were designed to bring out the personality of our sims.
    This is what I wish we had.
    trait%20whims.jpg
    And recently I thought of the idea of trait related whims being flavored by your sims current emotions.

So what would your creative sim wish for if they were feeling angry.
    Creative + Angry would wish for one thing while Geek + Angry would wish for something else.
    Sims would deal with their emotions differently according to their traits.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    Hiroko_samaHiroko_sama Posts: 15 Member
    I used to use whims. I like them because I'm getting bored micromanaging mine which causes long term burnout. I'm at the stage where I want to do as little as possible. Just enough to keep them alive. Whims need a massive overhaul. Less generic and tailored to their traits and situations. Just because I installed Seasons, I don't want to keep getting "buy a bee box" every few minutes until I do. Or be on a date and get that whim too.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I dont use whims and wouldn't use them even if they were changed
    Let's put it this way: After I came back to the game after a long hiatus and they in the meantime had set Whims as hidden by default... it took me several months to notice they were gone.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    NikolaiBanksNikolaiBanks Posts: 149 Member
    The Whims are fun and honestly I feel disappointed that they turned Whims off and stopped making new ones since Get Famous, I STILL think Whims have potential and that EA should know we'd like new whims to be added, not just new but also improved as well. The Whims system in TS4 isn't perfect at all, but it's still good and if the system ever gets an overhaul and improvements, I'd be really happy.
    'Fear not, for I am with you;
    Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
    I will strengthen you,
    Yes, I will help you,
    I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’
    Quote from Isaiah 41:10
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    I use whims, but wish they made more over all sense, why get the whim to walk the dog, the sim doesn't own a dog, her family growing up did, but now she doesn't, yet gets pet related wants, and not to get a pet mind you, but whims that indicate she already owns one. I wish they were more related to what is happening in the sims life currently.
  • Options
    BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,966 Member
    I dont use whims
    I wish they would be updated and improved so that I would have a use for them again.
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • Options
    BinobotBinobot Posts: 1 New Member
    I use whims but pretty much only if I need the aspiration points. I wish they were more exiting or personal to the sim. tired of seeing "Buy a Dishwasher - from not owning a home luxury"
  • Options
    Tequila_Rose_13191Tequila_Rose_13191 Posts: 143 Member
    Wish there were more and they were more specific to my sims personality, aspiration, lifestyle, traits, etc.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I dont use whims and wouldn't use them even if they were changed
    Binobot wrote: »
    I use whims but pretty much only if I need the aspiration points. I wish they were more exiting or personal to the sim. tired of seeing "Buy a Dishwasher - from not owning a home luxury"

Just like money and Influence Points, Aspiration Points just keep raining down on you.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    blueyblueskyblueybluesky Posts: 1,373 Member
    I use them all the time. I wish they weren't so repetitive though.