Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What laptop do you play on?

Comments

• Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I play on a Dell brand gaming laptop. I would never use a non-gaming laptop for games.
  • Options
    dorcsyfuldorcsyful Posts: 851 Member
    I got the Dell G5 2021 about a month ago. (Updated from the 2018 one) I don't know about other games, but it runs the Sims games perfectly. It doesn't have the best screen though, but you can use an external monitor. (It's fine for me but reviews all say it's horrible).
    I would also recommend this over other gaming laptops, because many of those are not fit for travel at all, but this one is relatively light compared to others and has a smaller form-factor in general. (I study game development so I see students carrying heavy laptops around all day, trust me you definitely should get a small one)
  • Options
    HolidayHoliday Posts: 681 Member
    I’ve got an “MSI - GF75 Thin 17.3” Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, GTX 1660 Ti, 512 GB SSD” and I love it! Runs TS4 and all the packs perfectly.

I used to have a Strix and it only lasted 3 years, truly awful. I got it in 2018 and a year after getting it (2019), the HDD failed which needed replaced, then the following year (2020) the battery needed replaced, which was done, and then 4 months later the battery packed in again, so I just gave up, I couldn’t be bothered to keep paying out for repairs so just got myself a shiny new laptop.
  • Options
    Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,101 Member
    Do most of you use Intel or Ryzen for gaming? I hear Intel is better for gaming however on a gaming laptop subreddit I’m on, everyone tells you to go for Ryzen.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    edited September 2021
    Brd709 wrote: »
    Do most of you use Intel or Ryzen for gaming? I hear Intel is better for gaming however on a gaming laptop subreddit I’m on, everyone tells you to go for Ryzen.

@Brd709 I think the new Ryzen processors are better right now, but Intel has a better history, has been better overall and may become better again in the future. I just got a Razer Blade 14, which has a Ryzen processor, but I won't be using it for the Sims. I play on a desktop with an Intel i9.
    Post edited by haneul on
  • Options
    Behappy1stBehappy1st Posts: 711 Member
    After having to send back my new Strix G15 on day one after finding dead pixels, I’m lost on where to go next. This is the second laptop this year I’ve had to send back.

I’m curious to know those who play on a laptop what one you play on. Can a “non gaming” laptop run the sims 4 on ultra settings?
    I pay on a Mac book air and I have every pack except Dust Bust.
  • Options
    SimDork23SimDork23 Posts: 524 Member
    I recently got a taste of what it’s like to play Sims on Ultra thanks to my boyfriend’s laptop, lol, & now I really want a gaming one, too, but they are so expensive. :(
  • Options
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    edited September 2021
    You can download an app.
    I use MSI Afterburner and you can pick what you would like to show in the overlay (Temps, usage, fps, etc.).

And Ryzen is the best bang for your buck currently.
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Calico45 wrote: »
    So, I do have a gaming laptop now, but you don't have to have one in my opinion.

Would yourself or anyone be able to recommend something that I can play the Sims 4 on but doesn’t fall in to the gamer category? My minimum specs would be 16GB Ram, 1TB SSD, a 10th gen or 11th gen processor. Have integrated graphics improved a lot or is it still necessary to have a dedicated graphics card for most games these days?

Go with the Alienware, it works for everything.
  • Options
    EternalSunshineEternalSunshine Posts: 340 Member

My gpu temp. usually stays at around 55°C & my cpu temp. generally stays at around 78°C when I play Sims 4 on ultra settings.
  • Options

My gpu temp. usually stays at around 55°C & my cpu temp. generally stays at around 78°C when I play Sims 4 on ultra settings.

Similar GPU temps I got with my old Legion 5 2060 rtx. I was looking at this Omen which gets good reviews on YouTube https://www.hp.com/gb-en/shop/product.aspx?id=3E5V4EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB

• Options
    edited October 2021
  • Options
    Montrase102Montrase102 Posts: 330 Member

I play on my HP Envy laptop with Ryzen 7. It runs pretty well for me.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I play on a desktop, but the specs of that laptop are almost identical to my desktop with the exception that I don't have an SSD but instead a 2TB HD. But I have the same processor, 16 GB of memory and the exact same graphics card.

I play on ultra with no issues at all. I can use a ton of mods (and I really do mean a ton, as in probably 200 mods) and about cc 20GB of CC when I have it installed. I've had as much as 40 GB of CC but it did take longer to load the with that much (about 15 minutes maybe) Right now my game loads in about 2 minutes.

But again, I do play on a desktop which gets more airflow so your laptop my get hot if you're playing for long periods of time.
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,106 Member
    Dell XPS 17 9700. Ultra, no lag, no issues.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I play on a desktop, but the specs of that laptop are almost identical to my desktop with the exception that I don't have an SSD but instead a 2TB HD. But I have the same processor, 16 GB of memory and the exact same graphics card.

I play on ultra with no issues at all. I can use a ton of mods (and I really do mean a ton, as in probably 200 mods) and about cc 20GB of CC when I have it installed. I've had as much as 40 GB of CC but it did take longer to load the with that much (about 15 minutes maybe) Right now my game loads in about 2 minutes.

But again, I do play on a desktop which gets more airflow so your laptop my get hot if you're playing for long periods of time.

Awesome! Thanks for letting me know! I think that’s the one I’m going to try to save up for, lol.

Post edited by SimDork23 on
  • Options
    HazellyHazelly Posts: 38 Member
    I play on a Lenovo idea pad which is great for playing games anywhere; the only problem I've found with it is storage and the fan, which can become incredibly noisy but it's a good price for a gaming PC.
  • Options
    I’m sorry to post again, but I found a cheaper one & am wondering if this would run the sims smoothly on ultra? I am so lost when it comes to knowing what to look for, lol.

https://www.target.com/p/msi-pulse-gl66-15-6-34-144hz-3ms-fhd-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i7-11800h-rtx3050-16gb-1tbnvme-ssd-win10/-/A-83349272#lnk=sametab
  • Options
    couchpotatovet101couchpotatovet101 Posts: 34 Member
    I play on a 2020 MacBook Air with a M1 chip and have all packs and kits😁
    first year veterinary student by day, simmer by night (when uni work and studying allows it 😉) owner of all packs and kits 🤩 South African born and bred ;) 🇿🇦
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Mine is a 2019 HP Pavilion. No idea what the actual model is or anything and I don't think it's a gaming laptop, but it runs fine on Ultra. Although I have had to lower some graphics settings recently as it's been struggling a bit with most the packs, overly decorated worlds, and 3 gigs of CC and mods (some of which are heavy mods)
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,673 Member
    edited October 2021
    I play on a Dell Latitude with Intel i7 and an added Nivdia GeForce graphics card. Runs the game well on high/very high settings and didn’t break the bank for me.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited October 2021
    I play on a lenovo legion 5, ryzen 7 4800h, 1650 ti. It came with 8gb of ram but i added another 8gb...
  • Options
    EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    edited October 2021
    I have played all of my Sims games (I mostly play Sims 2 but I have played Sims 4 in the past) on non-gaming laptops. I have had laptops by:
    Dell (on my second one now), HP, Toshiba, Compaq (before they were bought by HP), Acer (my very first laptop I played Sims 2 on lol).

They all have run the games very well. I have just had to make sure the graphics and video cards met or exceed the minimum requirements. I have only paid over $1,000 USD for this Dell laptop I have now (added a warranty to it). My other laptops cost less than $1,000.

I have only used Intel processors because those mostly run the game without having to edit the video/graphics card files to get games to run, especially Sims 2.

Edit: I only play on laptops because I no longer have a desk or space in my room for a desktop computer. And, as I am disabled, I find it easier to play on a laptop so I can sit on my bed out of my wheelchair so it's practical for me.
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    I play on a brand new 17” Alienware laptop
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top