Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Plants are still reverting. :(

Comments

• Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I started a new save after both recent patches. My sim has a garden in Henford on Bagley and the plants have been reverting to dirt piles. Sometimes it’s out of the blue, sometimes it’s after being fertilized - I don’t know what’s going on. Also, the “fruit tree” and tomato plants in Finchwick revert every time I travel. Now that it’s no longer summer, I don’t expect the tomato plants to stay, but the fruit tree hasn’t even given fruit when it’s been fully grown. I hit “me too” on a bug report for that one.
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,579 Member
    I didn't have a single plant reverting to a dirt pile since the release of Cottage Living. I have a large gardening area on the outside of my lot, but it just doesn't happen to me anymore.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,386 Member
    I've had about 15 apple trees revert to dirt piles, all but one in an orchard. Think they reverted when I asked a sim to spray for bugs, two of them had bugs. I haven't had this issue before, not with trees anyway. It happened before with a parsley plant I think, in a different garden, but it was one plant not most of them. I used cheats to make them mature again.
  • Options
    IcewolfIcewolf Posts: 709 Member
    My plants keep reverting and the whole plant meter thingie disappears too.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    Only some of the base plants turns back into dirt, even after they've evolved into excellence.
  • Options
    orenjiAiorenjiAi Posts: 569 Member
    For me, this issue had already been fixed by the pre CoL patch only for the latest “hotfix” to break it. Now, my plants have about a 25% chance of reverting every time I weed/water/spray for bugs—which may I add had been so incredibly often!—and upped to 50% whenever the season/eco footprint changes. Thank heavens for the debug cheats!

P.S. I made a cc planter around the same time the hotfix came out. I honestly thought that may have messed up my game and was feeling pretty bummed about it. But it’s kinda reassuring to know I’m not alone in this issue. :sweat_smile:
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,140 Member
    The plants in Cottage Living have never reverted back to dirt mounds in any of my Sim gardens. Those new ones seem to be immune to whatever is happening. Once I began to follow @83bienchen's recommendations on how to fertilize using a different fertilizer for each plant rather than the same fertilizer for all the plants, I had my plants revert just once and that happened on the same day I fertilized an entire garden. None of my plants have reverted since. And that was over a week ago in RL playing time. I just harvest everything then choose what to use as fertilizer as I go from plant to plant, making sure I don't use the same thing on plants that are next to each other. I've completely given up on using the Super Fertilizer because it seems to trigger that bug in my game, and doesn't really seem to make my plants grow better than when I use produce instead of it. When I harvest the bug houses and get a bag of Super Fertilizer, I just sell it now. My plants are maturing and evolving at the same rate they were when I used fish as a fertilizer rather than produce, too. Which is good news for me because my Sims were fishing every minute of every day just to have enough fish to fertilize a garden with fifteen or more plants and fruit trees. Now with the bunnies doing weed control and the birds eating the swarms of bugs, my Sims have a lot more time on their hands to do other stuff. But that doesn't mean you don't need to water and fertilize the plants regularly, before their health is damaged, or they will revert to dirt mounds.
  • Options
    ImagebearImagebear Posts: 46 Member
    Lmao they break it again . Good job sims team . Well done on fixing the game .
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    I haven't had any plants revert other than seasonally (fingers crossed). But I do have harvested plants going to my household inventory now and then. Often enough to be a real pain in the ark. I couldn't find it to add a "me too" in bug forum so if anyone has that link I would really appreciate it. TIA
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options
    inmyeyeinmyeye Posts: 396 Member
    Paigeisin5 wrote: »
    The plants in Cottage Living have never reverted back to dirt mounds in any of my Sim gardens. Those new ones seem to be immune to whatever is happening. Once I began to follow @83bienchen's recommendations on how to fertilize using a different fertilizer for each plant rather than the same fertilizer for all the plants, I had my plants revert just once and that happened on the same day I fertilized an entire garden. None of my plants have reverted since. And that was over a week ago in RL playing time. I just harvest everything then choose what to use as fertilizer as I go from plant to plant, making sure I don't use the same thing on plants that are next to each other. I've completely given up on using the Super Fertilizer because it seems to trigger that bug in my game, and doesn't really seem to make my plants grow better than when I use produce instead of it. When I harvest the bug houses and get a bag of Super Fertilizer, I just sell it now. My plants are maturing and evolving at the same rate they were when I used fish as a fertilizer rather than produce, too. Which is good news for me because my Sims were fishing every minute of every day just to have enough fish to fertilize a garden with fifteen or more plants and fruit trees. Now with the bunnies doing weed control and the birds eating the swarms of bugs, my Sims have a lot more time on their hands to do other stuff. But that doesn't mean you don't need to water and fertilize the plants regularly, before their health is damaged, or they will revert to dirt mounds.

Wow. That sounds like fun. About as much fun as watching paint dry, that is. A different fertilizer for each and every plant. So I guess if I want to play a "farming" game in Sims 4 my Sim better get used to sleeping for about an hour everyday. Heaven forbid that EA should actually fix the bug. >:)
    “Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).”
    ― Mark Twain
  • Options
    I have strongly suggested to fix that fertilizing but and see what remains to be done afterwards to fix the supposedly other gardening bugs.
    I mean it works for the new giant crops, you can fertilize multiple of those with the same fertilizer in a row, so it should be possible to change the script to allow for the same for normal crops.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,140 Member
    inmyeye wrote: »
    Paigeisin5 wrote: »

Wow. That sounds like fun. About as much fun as watching paint dry, that is. A different fertilizer for each and every plant. So I guess if I want to play a "farming" game in Sims 4 my Sim better get used to sleeping for about an hour everyday. Heaven forbid that EA should actually fix the bug. >:)

It takes as much time to do it the way I do it as any other method, so I don't quite understand your point. Yes it would be great if the bug were fixed. But as far as a workaround to use until that happens, the method I am using is quite satisfactory. Now if one of our wonderful modders could also find a workaround for the teleportation bug, the bug fixing team wouldn't need to do anything except collect more save files from us. As far as the gardening bug goes, 83bienchen is correct about the fertilization process being borked. Since I began using her method my gardens have flourished without reverting.
  • Options
    flotsetteflotsette Posts: 11 New Member
    > @83bienchen said:
    > I will shed some more light on the revert to dirtpile "bug".
    >
    > It mainly seems to come from the evolution commodity,

bienchien, thank you so much for your posts on this subject. Like someone else said, you have shed more light on this than anyone else. I have experienced this bug a LOT, since I love to garden in the Sims. I found this thread just now after almost all my plants reverted just after the Eco Footprint in my neighborhood changed to Neutral.

Funny thing is, Eco Footprint is turned off in my game options. And I had made no changes to the neighborhood, so I have no idea why a) the footprint is still active and b) why it changed. I guess I'm having a bug with the Footprint too? How odd that they made plants grow better in industrial than in green. Since my neighborhood has been green till just now, perhaps that's why I'm having even more problems than usual.

I respectfully disagree with the assertion that perfect plants are intended to be fertilized by design, and their reverting is due to my bad care. In my experience, this is not how plants behaved before Eco Lifestyle. I care for the plants obsessively, fixing problems immediately, just as I did in the past. I'm aware of the fertilizer value issues you speak of, and always use high value fertilizers. Additionally, I have ALWAYS fertilized my plants one at a time, waiting till one finishes before starting the next, because of the issue you describe queuing the actions. (That's a good workaround you came up with, by the way -- to alternate items used. I will have to try that.)

I don't think they intentionally changed this. The game behaves differently than it did in the past with no announcement of an intended change -- so I interpret this as a bug. I am willing, however, to try fertilizing my already perfect plants to see if that is a workaround. I will also try your mods. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with the community!

Jenn
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I'm fairly sure by now that the main issue (beneath the buggy fertilizing) actually is the growth commodity. There's a missing value in that which doesn't let plants remember the growth state they had in some situations (the line <T n="_use_stat_value_on_init">True</T> was missing in the initial_tuning, I already mentioned that earlier). I've added the fixed commodity to my sims4me_slowerecofootprintchange_mainfile by now. I'm not quite sure what effect the possible error in the commodity_gardening_evolution has on the issue, but I changed that as well and didn't notice any problems or weird issue since, so I also included that commodity change (maximum auto satisfy time was weirdly set to "0", I set that to the more common "1440" (that is 1 day).

What I discovered is that the avoided the fertilizing bug in the tuning for the giant crops - it's scripted though, otherwise I would have already adapted the system for fertilizing the other crops. It should not be a problem though for EA to adapt the same changes to fertilizing regular crops. The phython code that calles for the gardening_fertilize_picker and Gardening_Fertilize_continuation tuning needs to be changed so that the picked fertilizer is unavailable for another interaction (the same already also works for ingredients when you choose a cooking interaction that needs ingredients by the way. The moment you pick the cook fruit salad option, the fruit your Sim intends to take for that interaction is no longer visible in his personal inventory.)

Also there are the eco footprint loots for which I already explained in detail what's wrong with those.

If these things are fixed by EA, there's a good chance that changes to the object file of each gardening plant won't even be necessary. This is a good thing as that would have been especially tedious, while the fixes above are rather quick if you know what has to be done (finding the problems wasn't that quick).

Post edited by 83bienchen on
  • Options
    SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure by now that the main issue (beneath the buggy fertilizing) actually is the growth commodity. There's a missing value in that which doesn't let plants remember the growth state they had in some situations (the line <T n="_use_stat_value_on_init">True</T> was missing in the initial_tuning, I already mentioned that earlier). I've added the fixed commodity to my sims4me_slowerecofootprintchange_mainfile by now. I'm not quite sure what effect the possible error in the commodity_gardening_evolution has on the issue, but I changed that as well and didn't notice any problems or weird issue since, so I also included that commodity change (maximum auto satisfy time was weirdly set to "0", I set that to the more common "1440" (that is 1 day).

What I discovered is that the avoided the fertilizing bug in the tuning for the giant crops - it's scripted though, otherwise I would have already adapted the system for fertilizing the other crops. It should not be a problem though for EA to adapt the same changes to fertilizing regular crops. The phython code that calles for the gardening_fertilize_picker and Gardening_Fertilize_continuation tuning needs to be changed so that the picked fertilizer is unavailable for another interaction (the same already also works for ingredients when you choose a cooking interaction that needs ingredients by the way. The moment you pick the cook fruit salad option, the fruit your Sim intends to take for that interaction is no longer visible in his personal inventory.)

Also there are the eco footprint loots for which I already explained in detail what's wrong with those.

If these things are fixed by EA, there's a good chance that changes to the object file of each gardening plant won't even be necessary. This is a good thing as that would have been especially tedious, while the fixes above are rather quick if you know what has to be done (finding the problems weren't that quick).

They seriously need to pay you for this. I don't know or care what their normal policy is. It's the right thing to do.
  • Options
    flotsetteflotsette Posts: 11 New Member
    Thank you, bienchen. I installed a number of your mods (spent ages just browsing them, you have so many good ones!) I do hope what you have figured out can make its way to EA and the people who can actually fix this.
  • Options
    sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    All mine are fine now, except tomatoes, so far. I haven't tried to grow everything yet though.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,978 Member
    edited August 2021
    flotsette wrote: »
    > @83bienchen said:
    > I will shed some more light on the revert to dirtpile "bug".
    >
    > It mainly seems to come from the evolution commodity,

bienchien, thank you so much for your posts on this subject. Like someone else said, you have shed more light on this than anyone else. I have experienced this bug a LOT, since I love to garden in the Sims. I found this thread just now after almost all my plants reverted just after the Eco Footprint in my neighborhood changed to Neutral.

Funny thing is, Eco Footprint is turned off in my game options. And I had made no changes to the neighborhood, so I have no idea why a) the footprint is still active and b) why it changed. I guess I'm having a bug with the Footprint too? How odd that they made plants grow better in industrial than in green. Since my neighborhood has been green till just now, perhaps that's why I'm having even more problems than usual.

I respectfully disagree with the assertion that perfect plants are intended to be fertilized by design, and their reverting is due to my bad care. In my experience, this is not how plants behaved before Eco Lifestyle. I care for the plants obsessively, fixing problems immediately, just as I did in the past. I'm aware of the fertilizer value issues you speak of, and always use high value fertilizers. Additionally, I have ALWAYS fertilized my plants one at a time, waiting till one finishes before starting the next, because of the issue you describe queuing the actions. (That's a good workaround you came up with, by the way -- to alternate items used. I will have to try that.)

I don't think they intentionally changed this. The game behaves differently than it did in the past with no announcement of an intended change -- so I interpret this as a bug. I am willing, however, to try fertilizing my already perfect plants to see if that is a workaround. I will also try your mods. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with the community!

Jenn

I agree, taking care of plants in the past was not the same as it is now. I never had plants revert to dirt piles in the past because I always cared for them, but I can fertilize a plant and care for it and still have it revert now. I haven’t tried the new crops yet. But it’s such a hassle when my greenhouse crops I depend on revert.
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,383 Member
    edited August 2021
    Gardening seems to be completely broken now. Earlier this week played with my gardener and it was morning and I was going to harvest the plants that looked like they were ready to harvest. He was hungry, so I let him eat first. When he finished eating the harvest was gone. At first I thought that I had been wrong, but I was quite sure that I saw the plants full of harvestables.
    Then today it happened again. My Sim had full planter of roses to harvest and another planter full of birds of paradise. She decided to weed the plants first. I followed another Sim while she was weeding but when I turned the camera back on her she had finished weeding, but all the harvest was gone, disappeared. They were not in her inventory or anyone elses inventory either, so no one had harvested them. :o
    The plants didn't revert this time, but the harvestables just disappeared.
    It doesn't seem that I can have any harvest anymore, the plants either revert to dirt piles all the time or the harvestables disappear randomly. :/
  • Options
    Faraway_SonFaraway_Son Posts: 142 Member
    Well my money trees both reverted to seed as soon as I tried to harvest them. They are both of perfect quality. I'm lucky if I get a single week before one of the two trees vanishes to seed!
    Bug fixing...
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    @Kimmer Did you check the household inventory? Just in case. I know it doesn't make sense for them to go there unless moving but it has happened to me. I just don't have the plants reverting bug. Thank goodness.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,383 Member
    Bluegayle wrote: »
    @Kimmer Did you check the household inventory? Just in case. I know it doesn't make sense for them to go there unless moving but it has happened to me. I just don't have the plants reverting bug. Thank goodness.
    I don't remember, but thank you, I'll check the household inventories when I play the next time. I hope the harvest will be there. :)
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited August 2021
    Everything was fine for me in cottage living except when the season changed recently from summer to fall, all of my Dragon Fruit plants reverted back to dirt piles. They are all sheltered so I don't believe it should happen.
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    logion wrote: »
    Everything was fine for me in cottage living except when the season changed recently from summer to fall, all of my Dragon Fruit plants reverted back to dirt piles. They are all sheltered so I don't believe it should happen.

I noticed that some sheltered plants revert to dirt piles when their season comes. Makes no sense, but the same happened to me with snapdragons (reverted when autumn came) and birds of paradise (reverted when spring came). Dragon Fruit is a fall plant too, so I guess there is some kind of a pattern.
  • Options
    DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    - Look, there is a tree! Let's water it. There you go big girl, now you're seed again. Ah, the endless circle of life...
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode