Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Death by Fire?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    StartUpGeniusStartUpGenius Posts: 135 Member
    [quote="EgonVM;c-17919373"][quote="StartUpGenius;c-17919275"]Is death by fire in impossible now? There's this annoying sprinkler appearing out of nowhere whenever there's fire 😡

I can't start a new thread so I posted in an existing one[/quote]

If you have a sprinkles magically appearing, that means you have a sprinkler box somewhere on your lot.

Thus you have two options now.
    [list]1. Find the box and sell it. If you can't find it, start a fire indoors and the alarm on it will activate. Listen to the alarm, put the walls up and find it. Though Alto Apartments has one box in the lobby, so you can't delete it (an apartment building in Uptown where Diego Lobo lives). In that case, visit someone without it and start a fire there.[/list]
    [list]2. Start a fire outdoors as sprinkles need a ceiling to deploy. If your sims don't have a garden, visit someone who does and start a fire there.
    [/list]

Choose an option and go with that.[/quote]

Thanks, now I know!
  • Options
    TammorsTammors Posts: 357 Member
    Sims are more likely to die from things if you don't want them to die.
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    If you have jungle adventure it’s very easy for your sims to catch fire mine do it all the time in the temples. That and cooking on a low stove in a room with a wooden floor even when their cooking skill level is very high.
  • Options
    WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    edited June 2021
    If you have eco living and you upgrade toilet with composting container, toilet will always catch fire if you don't have bug house for compost.

Or simply, lot can have cursed trait. Fire will usually start when someone is cooking.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    vampirekim wrote: »
    Hello! I am trying to kill a Sim with fire so I can play with the new ghost feature but I am having trouble starting a fire. My Sim has a level 3 cooking skill and I have tried leaving food inside the oven and on top of the stove hoping it will catch fire. Sadly, it did not work and it seemed that the appliance turned off after canceling the action. I am now attempting to use the fireplace with several rugs around it and underneath of it but still no fire. My next attempt will be to start and put out fires repeatedly. Any advice? Perhaps there is a quicker way to kill my Sim?

Do you have Laundry Day? If so get a washer and dryer and don't. Let me make that very clear. DON'T clean the lint trap on the dryer. I've had more dryer fires than you can imagine. Never lost a Sim but just keep them or their housemates from putting them out once they're aflame and you may just achieve your goal.
    In this case, the only daughter in the family was the unfortunate Sim. She is rescued by her father and two eldest brothers.
    K3twFRv.jpg
    rGaRieH.jpg
    lPzdYOq.jpg
    vByzoFS.jpg
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Themrsg4422Themrsg4422 Posts: 332 Member
    I miss the unexpected deaths from previous sims games. I remember in sims 2 I had a sim with a wife and 6 kids, and they were just perfect. Dad caught fire cooking and was killed so quickly. The family had to mourn and adjust to their new life without the bread winner. Another unexpected sim death was a sim I raised from birth, went to Uni and was crushed by a vending machine on day 1. I was so utterly shocked lol.

In sims 4 everything has to happen twice with a warning before a sim dies.
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    You can set fires by setting off fireworks in the house! It may take a couple tries, but using those big fireworks boxes was the fastest way I've found.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    SuperCoolRachaelSuperCoolRachael Posts: 392 Member
    Tammors wrote: »
    Sims are more likely to die from things if you don't want them to die.

Murphy's law, eh?

I had one instance where a Sim died in a fire. It was while playing Jungle Adventure. I think he set off a trap that set him on fire, but it's possible that he got bitten by an insect--I think there's a kind that can cause you to catch fire? Either way, it took him an hour to die.

Sims have gotten smarter, and are far more likely to run away from fires. It's extremely unlikely that they will die if there is any sort of exit, or if there are other Sims around who can extinguish them. You will probably have to get the Sim alone and block all exits. As someone else mentioned, carpets and wood are better than stone for flooring.
  • Options
    TammorsTammors Posts: 357 Member
    Yeah, Murphy's Law alright.

My brother had an evil vampiress who was trying to commit murder, so she could see another sim die. She tried everything--draining the victim's blood, draining her hunger meter, humiliating and angering her, using the voodoo doll on her, but nothing worked. (It was actually pretty funny. Sometimes the voodoo would backfire on her! But she kept trying...) This was an elderly sim, but she survived everything an evil master vampire could throw at her.

Finally he gave up, and made a level 1 vampire just so she could murder him by luring him out into the sun. (That wasn't easy either, but she was able to kill him eventually.)

So murder is very difficult in this game. BUT, I've had several of my favorite sims die on me.

One went swimming while she was tired, and apparently fell asleep in the water and drowned. I didn't even know she was swimming, until I saw a message that she was dying. We tried to save her, but the Reaper just came and swept her up without giving her family a chance to beg for her to be spared. (I later played her as a ghost, but she leaves puddles of water all over the house!)

My favorite, and most powerful, sim was killed by a cowplant. You would think a powerful sorceress would know better than to eat the cake! Why did she do that? I didn't make her do that. She just did. I was shocked. Her family didn't have any death flowers, and she was the only caster in the household that could revive the dead. Fortunately the Reaper spared her life when her little girl begged him to let her have her mommy back. (Or MAYBE the real reason was because he had strong green and pink bars for the mom before she died, since she was always flirting with him? He's never heard the pleas of any of our other sims pleading for him to spare people.)

Later I had another sim die in a pool, while she was doing a backfloat while tired. I wasn't sending her into the pool, but she kept going back in. I was making her get out of the water and sleep in a bed. But she kept going back into the pool, until she drowned. Her friend's husband was able to save her with a death flower though. (Then I roleplayed her falling in love with him, even though I was roleplaying her as a lesbian before that. I figure the near death experience could inspire certain feelings.)

Then I had another sim die of hunger. I didn't even know she was hungry. I was playing a different sim that was visiting her house. Then I saw this sim wake up, get out of bed, walk about 2-3 steps, and die. I didn't even know why she died! Grim Reaper came. The character I was playing begged for her to be spared, but he took her anyway. (I don't remember if I had a death flower or not.) I logged into her game to play her haunting the house. Her lover asked her to join the household, and she immediately said yes. Her traits showed that she had died of hunger.

And just a couple days ago I had a high level sorcerer, die from laughing himself to death. I think I'll play him as a ghost too. I just need to decide if he should continue haunting the house he died, or have a family member move his urn to one of their own lots. I think I'm also gonna have my eligible bachelors pursuing his wife, now that she's a widow.

So murder is hard, but your favorite sims seem to die pretty easily doing stupid things on their own. Murphy's Law.

• Options
    SwanSong93SwanSong93 Posts: 240 Member
    @EgonVM

It worked! I didn't know that thing exists.

The challenge this time was that a spellcaster cannot further cast Inferniate when the house is already on fire.

Here are some of the screenshots. I didn't save after that though.

06-26-21-10-19-40-PM.png

06-26-21-10-20-14-PM.png

06-26-21-10-22-24-PM.png

06-26-21-10-21-41-PM.png

06-26-21-10-22-59-PM.png

06-26-21-10-24-19-PM.png
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    On the subject of deaths (cause it was briefly brought up in the replies), I hate how hard it is to kill your sims in a LOT of cases.

Like, the shark/piranha pond from GF. I did MULTIPLE (10+) attempts to get this one sim to die via that way and it never went through. She always survived even when she did it in poor moods. I had to settle for her overheating to death instead cause it simply just never worked.

There is a certain kind of balance with deaths and misfortunes in gameplay and how to handle them, but at some point it feels like Sims 4 got way too safe with these sort of things. Like, we don't even get shark deaths in IL, I think. Even the shark/piranha pond is just technically drowning, which is dumb. But like, it's one thing to have to deal with the obnoxious random deaths that occur far too frequently with little way to avoid it such as the asteroids from Sims 3 (which I got FAR too 🐸🐸🐸🐸 often). But then you have trying to drown your sims in a pond that is OPTIONALLY filled with sharks/piranhas...like, if you don't want that don't want potential death put the piranhas/sharks in the pond.

Even with Sims 2/3, you learned not to mess with the stove too much until you were more skilled OR you got better appliances. It was a quick/merciless kind of death but it had a trigger and it wasn't purely random. Same with cowplants or repairing electrical devices. I remember ALWAYS saving before repairing them just in case. Now you have to like...intentionally save scum just to get an electrocution death. Or just mess with the robotics bench beforehand.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,889 Member
    @SwanSong93 Great shot of Grim on fire! What happened to him?

• Options
    SwanSong93SwanSong93 Posts: 240 Member
    @mightysprite The Spellcaster wearing blue rabbit costume Inferniated him :lol:
  • Options
    Coraline_029Coraline_029 Posts: 71 Member
    Even with autonomy disabled, the Sims in the lot still extuinguish fires 😑 This makes death by fire very challenging 😥
  • Options
    JustMeAlbJustMeAlb Posts: 371 Member
    My latest attempts at killing sims was in San Myshuno where he couldn't make a pool to drown them in (not yet rich enough for penthouses). Tried making them eat pufferfish of low quality and they survived that three times in a row. Then had them play with fireworks in a small room and that did the trick, except my main sim walks into the room and sets himself on fire too. After a bit of swearing I made him extinguish himself and get back out of the room, target sim soon burned to death though with flames not nearly as big as my main sim had earlier.
    The cake is a lie
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    edited July 2021
    I accidentally found a pretty efficient method of killing sims.

This is best done near a body of swimmable water. Keep them awake until they are collapsing. When they wake up after having collapsed, get them to swim laps....they drown pretty quick :astonished:
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    aspernaspern Posts: 18 Member
    I was doing some magic-related sims science the other day and one thing I learned about the inferniate spell is that you can actually cast it as many times as you want and create a massive house fire, but your caster sim needs to be off the active lot and do it from a distance. I assume this is a bug because sometimes I was able to walk inside the house and use all appliances as normal while everything was still in flames, sometimes not. With fire set in right spots, it was indeed a super-deadly experience QED.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited July 2021
    Try baking, and make sure you don’t have a fire alarm. Also cook at the highest level you can. Also if they have too high a gardening skill, you can’t catch fire i don’t think.
  • Options
    StartUpGeniusStartUpGenius Posts: 135 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    Try baking, and make sure you don’t have a fire alarm. Also cook at the highest level you can. Also if they have too high a gardening skill, you can’t catch fire i don’t think.

Nope, it's the reward trait for gardening that gives immunity to fire
  • Options
    KiTh_97KiTh_97 Posts: 41 Member
    Do the rugs make fires spread easily in TS4?
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    KiTh_97 wrote: »
    Do the rugs make fires spread easily in TS4?

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like so. Since The Sims 3, rugs don't make fire spread easily.
    However, what type of floor you have will affect it.
    When putting down a floor, look at its description. Look for low fire resistance. These are usually wooden floors and carpets (though not every wooden floor/carpet has low fire resistance).
  • Options
    @EgonVM Thanks. What about birthday balloons? Do they still increase chances of fire like in the original The Sims?
  • Options
    @EgonVM Thanks. What about birthday balloons? Do they still increase chances of fire like in the original The Sims?

Birthday balloons...

If there are balloons in The Sims 4, these are only a decorations. So the answer is no.
  • Options
    [quote="EgonVM;c-17932981"][quote="KiTh_97;c-17932924"]@EgonVM Thanks. What about birthday balloons? Do they still increase chances of fire like in the original The Sims?[/quote]

Birthday balloons...

If there are balloons in The Sims 4, these are only a decorations. So the answer is no.[/quote]

Thanks.

I tried Inferniate on a floor with low fire resistance but the spread of fire is not fast enough to override the meddling Sims extinguishing the fire 🙁
  • Options
    EgonVM wrote: »

Birthday balloons...

If there are balloons in The Sims 4, these are only a decorations. So the answer is no.

Thanks.

I tried Inferniate on a floor with low fire resistance but the spread of fire is not fast enough to override the meddling Sims extinguishing the fire 🙁

Indeed, sims do that. Sims are smarter around fire now: they either panic and then route to safedy or put the fire out. There's nothing you can do against it...

I see you have a spellcaster who can start fires. If you want to target sims, make sure they're alone. Or if the other sims won't leave them alone, freeze them. Then cast the spell on the spot the victim is standing on (not on the victim). Jeez, that felt evil to write...

Death has been made harder in The Sims 4, but the same tricks (room with no doors) still work. Fire is easier to cause with expansion/game/stuff packs. The only thing I can say is keep trying! You will succeed eventually.