Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why can't we eat the animals from the new Cottage EP?

Comments

• Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,890 Member
    edited June 2021
    Sending them off to the butcher offsite (via rabbithole) would have been fine. Which is how a lot of family farmers do it.

Truly, it could be done in various ways that are less gross than the meat wall. Which is already in game.

@CelSims I love the sausage plant idea :)

(Edit: I do love the meat wall, too, I love everything that keeps the Sims weird)

• Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    Im not surprised that raising animals for meat isnt an option, and to be honest I probably would have paid a little more attention to the pack if such a feature was included. I would have liked my sims to be able to sell meat, not just eggs and milk.

But, there's a mod for everything now so Im willing to bet that there's a modder out there that's got a plan brewing for selling animals for meat. I doubt such a concept would be graphic (assuming its not coming from a mature mod) and would amount to a rabbit hole and meat later appearing in the sim's inventory.
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    You wouldn't eat milk cows and llamas in real life either.
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Idk why anyone is saying this has to do with vegetarians or vegans? AFAIK they are largely a thing because of factory farming, not because of someone on a cottage farm having animal consumption as part of their diet for survival.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I'm not a vegetarian IRL and I'm all for realism but I know I would never eat a pet I own - not in the game, not IRL. So I really don't mind, the eggs, wool and milk are more important. I get some people would have liked to see this but idk it always seemed very unlikely to happen.
  • Options
    DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,184 Member
    haneul wrote: »
    The Sims isn't about killing anything

Oh boy I've been doing this whole Sims thing wrong for years.
  • Options
    mewo13mewo13 Posts: 60 Member
    Wait for an enterprising modder to make a "Butcher gameplay/career" mod.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Sending them off to the butcher offsite (via rabbithole) would have been fine. Which is how a lot of family farmers do it.

Truly, it could be done in various ways that are less gross than the meat wall. Which is already in game.

@CelSims I love the sausage plant idea :)

(Edit: I do love the meat wall, too, I love everything that keeps the Sims weird)

Exactly!
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    edited June 2021
    haneul wrote: »
    The Sims isn't about killing anything

Oh boy I've been doing this whole Sims thing wrong for years.

Haha. :o

I mean that it isn't about killing in a realistic or gritty kind of way. Without being creative, you can't direct your sim to kill another sim. There's no kill on the pie menu, not even for the occults. And if the game doesn't even do that, there's no way it would allow sims to raise and kill their animal pets or betray them by selling them for meat. The devs made this clear before. This pack is supposed to represent idyllic farm life not reality or death. I imagine that brown cows will make chocolate milk or something else silly. And I think that's for the best.
  • Options
    YautjagirlYautjagirl Posts: 351 Member
    As a real life long time vegeterian I would not want this in a game. I love the realism and dark topics in the game, but not when it comes to animals.

And consindering that a lot of parents are not okay with their children knowing where the meat really comes from I completely understand why it is not included in the game. I am pretty sure a modder will make it happen though.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    At first I was thinking because most wouldn't be an ingredient namely (I'd expected some sort of cooking overhaul to accommodate meat as an ingredient), but they confirmed on Twitter that they'll have meat for sale in grocery stalls. So practically speaking there is no real excuse.

However, the Sims has always been super G with animals for food. I have played nearly every game, spin offs included, and usually chickens were not distinguished between dead or alive in the inventory systems. The closest was maybe the boar fight in Castaway and even then is was pretty... G. So when we get back to the main series, I think it is probably against the general narrative. No matter what you think of it, one of the things deemed important enough to be there at the launch of 4 was the vegetarian trait.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    There should be a way to have your sims chickens "magically" turn into dinner. After all we do have a Meat Wall in the game already.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I read somewhere that it will be possible to buy meat from the grocery store and that the animals will die of old age. I think people who want to eat their animals could sell off their animals and buy meat from the grocery store with the money instead. So your sims get to eat meat but not kill the animals.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I’m not a vegetarian but I don’t want to see this in a game and I love all farming games.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    BlueR0se wrote: »
    Honestly, there is still a way to make it PG or PG13 for turning animals into meat. You don't have to go grizzly horror show about it. Ex: sim leads animal to shed, comes out with a stack of meat but Larry the Llama is mysteriously missing...
    For some reason, this had me in hysterics :D:D

I guess they should have implemented something like this to give everyone options. Then for those who didn't want it, they wouldn't have to lead Larry to his doom and he could have spent his entire life living happily next to his shed frolicking with his bunny friends.
  • Options
    mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    Any word on how much it will be
    $50 in New Zealand, you can check your Origin, its available for preordering already ;)
    AKgMcvN.png
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Honestly, there is still a way to make it PG or PG13 for turning animals into meat. You don't have to go grizzly horror show about it. Ex: sim leads animal to shed, comes out with a stack of meat but Larry the Llama is mysteriously missing...

I guess they should have implemented something like this to give everyone options. Then for those who didn't want it, they wouldn't have to lead Larry to his doom and he could have spent his entire life living happily next to his shed frolicking with his bunny friends.

You can still buy the different kinds of meat from the grocery store. I think it's nice they made it like this otherwise we would end up having to buy a new animal all the time. I do wonder what happens to the chickens, they said that we could breed them but the coop only has space for 8 chickens. Can we breed them to a max of 8 chickens or do we get to buy new coops or sell the extra chickens?
  • Options
    ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member

If they want to add the meat industry, they need to be responsable about it.. it’s not a cute process sending them off to slaughterhouses, it’s traumatic. Animals bred for meat are generally brought up in terrible conditions too. Why do you think people go vegan/vegetarian. It’s a moral stance against animal cruelty.
    Not to mention the best thing any single person can do for the environment is stop eating animals.
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    Animals that die of natural causes usually don't become food for humans, and you don't kill animals in the Sims. But there's nothing to stop you from having butter chicken after Charlie the rooster bites the dust.
  • Options
    MondayMonday Posts: 385 Member
    Your sim sends a cow off and receives meat in return, the gets a tense moodlet for 24 hours from selling off the cow your child befriended. Child gets a sad moodlet from mysteriously vanished best cow-friend.

I mean, you have a choice, either allow the animals to be used for meat or to make the animals your friends. And the Sims chose friends, which seems reasonable to me. While I do think the sims can be at its best when it uses humor to examine the absurdity or darkness of our own world, I also see how and why they'd choose to stick with eggs, wool, and milk. They traded in sending an animal to the butcher for letting your relationship with an animal define your interactions with it, and if it had to be one or the other, I'd rather have my sim have a terrible relationship with their llama over sending it to market.

I believe that they said the foxes can in fact steal chickens though, so I find that to be an interesting inclusion if true. I suppose when it comes more to nature itself rather than the impact that man has on nature, it's a very different story. And also, this is a game where death-by-chicken is currently in speculation, and seems to be approved of by the players I've seen comment on that. So....???? I don't know, if we get werewolves I'm putting a werewolf den in this town because a town this perfect needs dark secrets.

It's messy, and it's likely best to just not let sims slaughter animals. In another life simulation game, maybe made by another company that is coming from a different perspective with different goals and a different mood, it would work. I'm looking at you, Paradox Tectonic, with whatever you are making and whenever you'll make an announcement.

But I never expected The Sims to let us eat our raised animals, and I'm fine with that. I'll just let the vampires eat the people there, instead.

a63ftuN.png
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited June 2021
    Yautjagirl wrote: »
    As a real life long time vegeterian I would not want this in a game. I love the realism and dark topics in the game, but not when it comes to animals.

And consindering that a lot of parents are not okay with their children knowing where the meat really comes from I completely understand why it is not included in the game. I am pretty sure a modder will make it happen though.

I'm actually surprised a lot of parents don't want their kids to know. I thought it was like basic everyday knowledge 😮
    I'm vegetarian and my parents never explicitly described it or anything but I always knew. And they explained why some people eat it.

But there's nowhere else for it to come from.....
    It's not like a Santa thing. You see duck meat on your plate, then you see a duck floating in your pond and it's like😳hmmmm must be rainbow unicorn meat from the planet crypton🤫

Lol 😆 I'm just surprised.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    Flexono1Flexono1 Posts: 326 Member
    They should have included a 'send to market' option, where you get some simoleons and meat in your inventory
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    mcrudd wrote: »
    Any word on how much it will be
    $50 in New Zealand, you can check your Origin, its available for preordering already ;)
    AKgMcvN.png

Looks like you are going to get the pack early when it release. wish I was from New Zealand to I can't handle waiting on launch day 😂😂

For me I would wish that they have the option. I probably will never use it however for those people who wanted it they should have be given a choice. It is better to have a mod the removes a feature that you don't like rather than have a mod that adds what you like.

For example if you don't want sims selling cows for meat, you could mod out of it or even not use it at all. But if there was no option to convert them to meat, then how about the console players who cannot mod the game? We shouldn't be adding something that should have been in the game espescially in a Life Simulator where selling animals for meat is normal. That is my take :)